Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 27, 2017 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
FireFistYamaan said:
Boy people are hating on this episode and the previous one, what will they do when the next season arrives

Forums are going to be filled with " Does anyone else....bla bla black" threads!

Personally, I love these slowburn episodes. When they're well directed they're brilliant. The tension rises slowly and gets unbearable at points.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 27, 2017 1:08 PM

Jan 2013
Seriously, people are complaining because there's no action ? Although there's a lot of character development for once ?
May 27, 2017 1:09 PM

Sep 2016
well that was easly the best episode of this season so far, made my finally real hyped again

to bad there are only 3 episodes left lol
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

May 27, 2017 1:16 PM

Jun 2015
I liked this ep. We saw a development of Reiner's background, and it was really interesting. So many questions still unanswered. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the next part. :O
4/5
May 27, 2017 1:18 PM

Dec 2013
After reading all through to the latest chapter, it's amazing to see just how spoilerish-yet-not-spoiling the author made this series. I swear watching this episode with no knowledge raises so many questions, but once everything comes to light, watching this episode is almost one lightbulb moment after another. it's pretty good how intricate and well thought out the events and dialogue in this episode was in the context of whats to come in seasons 3 or 4 and even 5.

Absolutely loving it.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 27, 2017 1:23 PM

Dec 2015
Anime-only peasants that need "action".
Freaks, AoT is a good manga/anime anyways.
Also, Don't watch next season (political arc) 'cause it has a lot of dialogue... Assholes...
May 27, 2017 1:23 PM
The Séance

Jul 2016
Hyack said:
Shiota_Nagisa_ said:
NAH REINER YOU'RE JUST CONFUSED OKAY.

THAT'S NOT MARCO.

IT'S JUST SOMEONE WHO YOU THINK IS MARCO.

BUT IT'S NOT MARCO.

I DON'T SEE MARCO'S FACE.

SO I AM STILL LIVING IN DENIAL.

IT'S NOT MARCO AND MY SON IS FINE AND HE'S JUST FINE SOMEWHERE ELSE OKAY? THANK YOU.

I will continue living in denial.

Marco is fine.
Quality post right here

I'M NOT OKAY. I WILL NEVER BE OKAY.
May 27, 2017 1:27 PM

Jan 2014
FireFistYamaan said:
Boy people are hating on this episode and the previous one, what will they do when the next season arrives

LOL this is what i was thinking. "SNK3 - worst anime of the year" kind memes incoming?... xD
May 27, 2017 1:28 PM

Mar 2017
This fandom goes crazy over Marco's death. I never really saw him as an important character.

Well there goes Eren acting on impulse as always.

I imagine the anime watchers being confused about Reiner split personality. I've always sympathized with Reiner and Bertl even throughout the manga.
LunarPisces1May 27, 2017 2:15 PM
May 27, 2017 1:35 PM

Mar 2016
Dam pretty good episode! Hope it keeps like this! It's really a great adaptation from the source material!

Modernoir said:
Considering pretty much all of the dialogue is new and we're further getting to learn about Reiner, Bertolt and Ymir, I think this episode was pretty damn interesting.

That small flashback scene though, damn...

Oh well, now we wait for the usual mass of "WHERE'S THE ACTION WHY IS THERE STORY IN MY MIKASA-SLASHER ANIME?!" comments.

Also, anime-original Ymir flashback next week?

I think they will show a little of Ymir's past! The difference between the Manga and the Anime is that her past is only showned 80+ chpater I think... (Sry if I'm wrong)
May 27, 2017 1:37 PM

Apr 2014
A good episode, I hope Ymir is not actually on Reiner and Bert's side I quite like her...
Also, contrary to most I actually like these dialogue episodes so I'm looking forward to that political arc/3rd season.

And btw is anyone else having problem with mal at the moment? I can't update my anime status..
May 27, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
I really loved that they finally made it painfully clear that Reiner suffers from a dis-associative disorder / split personality. I felt that it wasn't obvious to anime-only viewers (like me) that he was suffering from this. There were clues but I like this sort of definitive evidence also.

HOW they went about revealing it was pretty awesome too. How he just *poof* became another person in the blink of an eye with no apparent trigger. I adored Eren's reaction to it too, lol. It was so typically Eren.

I do sympathize with Reiner. If he was created from an infant or child to be a titan and didn't really have a choice about it all (I've not read the manga so I'm speculating so don't shoot me if I'm wrong and don't correct me cuz I want to find out from the story), then I can see where he'd fracture under such pressure.

It was a dialogue heavy episode but all of it moved the story forward significantly. It also still managed to hold a high level of intensity and suspense, which this show has excelled at from the beginning.

I am concerned that it's episode 9 and there seems to be SO much more yet to explain / reveal. I have a feeling that I'm going to have a long and painful wait for that.
A hero will sacrifice the one he loves to save the world. A villain will sacrifice the world for the one he loves. I'll take the villain.
May 27, 2017 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
Thank god for another boring af episode. It's not the lack of action that's really killing this series, it's how they drag on the most useless things and kill all suspense. RIP

May 27, 2017 2:18 PM

Dec 2014
Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Did they mention anything about their goal ?
ClefairiessMay 27, 2017 2:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2017 2:21 PM
Jul 2015
Really strong episode. Dialogue was really well delivered and there were enough teases about Reiner, Bertholdt and all that, that I've gotten even more intrigued. Very excited to see where it'll go from here on
May 27, 2017 2:32 PM

Oct 2010
Eren is a total retard. Love it when someone call him on his stupid tantrums.

Also got to hand it to the author who was able the create a good story despite the stupid and hothead protagonist.
May 27, 2017 2:34 PM

Nov 2007
when people call this episode boring but say the one in which reiner and eren were fighting in their titan forms was the best one.....................well,i can't say i am surprised
May 27, 2017 2:37 PM

May 2016
I really really enjoyed this episode.
May 27, 2017 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.
LOL that relaxing Titan. Not a care in the world.

Reiner is crazy. He is getting confused. A solider or a warrior.
Ahh so that's what happened to Marco. Annie so emotional then.
Eren getting angry. Letting it all out. Who is the real enemy here?

Survey Corps incoming.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

May 27, 2017 3:03 PM

Feb 2014
For an episode with little action and heavy on the dialogue, it was still intense and very enjoyable.

Reiner's mentally is obviously in bits. First, he was serious about taking Ymir and Eren back to his and Bertholt's hometown, but then started speaking about getting a promotion as a soldier. At this rate, he can forget about a promotion and even marrying Christa/Historia altogether.

Eren did his best to suppress his emotions, but he let it rip at Reiner in a heated argument between the two. I'm not sure what Ymir's goal is now in this situation, but I'm hoping she doesn't do something stupid that'll cause more chaos for Eren and the other Scouts.
May 27, 2017 3:05 PM
Sep 2013
Absolutely loving this season. Amazing.
May 27, 2017 3:20 PM
May 2016
Vinyet said:
Akai_Yami said:
So Rainer mostlikely has schizophrenia

That's not what schizophrenia is. If anything, it's dissociative personality disorder, when the person creates a new personality to cope with a traumatic and stressful situation. There's "warrior Reiner" and "soldier Reiner".

Yes. Exactly that. Meanwhile, Eren has gone full Emo.
May 27, 2017 3:30 PM
May 2016
TheGrandSage23 said:
So Reiner has multiple personality disorder? There's another term but I can't think of the name

The jury is still out among the psychiatric community as to whether or not the ailment really exists, but it's now known as Dissociative Identity Disorder. Basically it means that after some incredible trauma, your mind just can't handle what's going on, so you (without conscious intent) compartmentalize the part of you who knows about what happened, and then you similarly break off the part of yourself who is trying to deal with what happened, and so on. It's not that you actually get different "personalities" as wrongly depicted in popular media where there are all different names and ages so forth; that's nonsense. It's all you, it's just that in some states when you are reminded of your trauma, you kind of continue to live through the scenario that's triggered you until the stressor has lessoned; then the non-compartmentalized self feels a sense of "lost time" because you don't have *conscious* memory of what just took place. I've been in group therapy with people with DID and the lost sense of time is what they described in session. It's like their life has suddenly become an old movie where there are scenes that get spliced together with short pieces missing so that it doesn't seem to flow right.
May 27, 2017 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
Scouts are coming!!! I don't think Ymir will be on their side. Who is the real enemy!! Can't wait for all these secrets to be revealed. This is all much bigger than it seems....

These episodes are too short. I feel like I need to go back and rewatch both seasons once this is over, I feel like I missed so many subtle clues!
May 27, 2017 3:35 PM

Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this episode, the mind games were really something, and I'm pretty excited to hear about Ymir's past (or a part of it!)
I do wish we would have found out more about titans, especially the beast titan, but hopefully that'll be next episode!
May 27, 2017 3:38 PM
May 2016
I don't understand all the people who find the episodes where backstory is explained and the motivations of characters comes into play and you start to get hints where things might be going to "boring." To me, the battles with the Titans, especially between Titan and Titan are what totally bores me. Seen one battle, really, you've seen them all; someone gets maimed, someone dies, someone survives. That's all battle in any series or movies is. It's the quiet moments when people reflect and converse where real action takes place. But maybe I just think that way because I'm 53 and have outgrown that period when you're younger and find violence appealing/exciting.
May 27, 2017 3:41 PM

Aug 2012
Great voice acting by Reiner and Eren's VA this episode
May 27, 2017 4:06 PM

Jan 2015
While Eren was calling Reiner and Bert mass murderers, I kept laughing because Eren doesn't even realize he killed hundreds of people while fighting Annie
May 27, 2017 4:10 PM

Nov 2010
second half was stronger than first half though I will say that

- Ymir awnsering " who knows" when it came to guessing whose the big bad honcho behind wanting humanity extinct disappointed me there

-The drama with berholdt concerning how he felt after being confronted by Eren about being a mass murderer was pretty lackluster but that's not surprising cause the character doesn't say much

- that flashback of Reiner reacting to Marco's death should have been in the original episode it happened

-existence of beast titan was brought up but we learned nothing new about him

Other than that.pretty good episode

And I guess people complaining about the lack of action this week aren't too fascinated by the plot of this show
The_Nut_CrackerMay 27, 2017 4:18 PM
May 27, 2017 4:13 PM

Jul 2015
Holy shit.. This show has turned to such garbage... What a shame
May 27, 2017 4:14 PM
Jun 2009
I like this episode so much more than the previous one, I don't mind only talking, as long as it's interesting!

I'm not convinced than Ymir has joined the other side yet though. She's smart and understands that there's no point in getting the other 2 upset when she has not healed her limbs, and even then her titan is way weaker than the others... and Eren's too dumb to act appropriately.
May 27, 2017 4:42 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty average ep, all just talk.
May 27, 2017 4:43 PM

May 2014
Tree top talking: the episode lmao

Seriously though, that was some intense talking right there- tfw the most aggressive character in the series tries not to be aggressive.

Now Reiner's weird ass behaviour makes sense- he's a character of dualities. Here I thought the guy deserved an Oscar for his awesome acting, but he's just that far past breaking point that he's developed selective memory and is completely disillusioned.
I always wondered why he wasn't more like Bertholdt or Annie who were pretty much loners- good ol' Reiner enjoyed his role as soldier a little too much!

Good lord that scene with Marco was horrible.
We finally get to see how he died and it was not pretty...in fact, Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie just watched him get mauled to death and whilst they didn't look happy the fact still stands. They let freckled Jesus die.

Damn, they may as well have just killed him themselves and done it quickly. Apparently they were too cowardly to actually murder someone they knew well though, and just watched him suffer in agony :/

More Ymir next episode, and it looks like we're delving into her childhood! YAY!

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2017 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
What more can I say? This is the new One Piece.
May 27, 2017 5:01 PM

Oct 2013
Peco said:
Holy shit.. This show has turned to such garbage... What a shame

Don't even bother watching the 3rd season when it comes, because that season is dialogue heavy and not much action. So if you are only interesting in the action in snk, then you will be disappointed, because the series from here on now is going to be more plot focus.

So if you consider this season garbage now, I don't know what you will call the 3rd season. I bet by time this series reach the 4th season only the hardcore fans that are interesting in the plot will be the only one watching the series. Since its obvious majority of the fanbase is in it for the cool action scenes.

What a shame. I can understand persons complaint for the last episode, but this episode gave the viewers a lot to chew on.
May 27, 2017 5:07 PM
May 2016
Benio_ said:

In what way? I don't remember One Piece being half as interesting as this.
May 27, 2017 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Can't really blame the kid for getting all angry for once. A LOT of people died in Berthold and Reiner's attack.
May 27, 2017 5:13 PM

Dec 2015
Finally an honestly good episode, sasuga SnK to create more questions than answers in an episode, damn I hate but also love that about this anime.

Honestly I can see Eren going 'evil' from his hate of those two, torture them and brutalize them.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 27, 2017 5:17 PM

May 2015
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻ Ymir who's f*cking side are you on?!
May 27, 2017 5:23 PM
May 2016
Weeaboo_James said:
I can see why there's no Season 3. If they made Season 3, they'd lose a lot of viewers and potential revenue. They want to create "hype" for Season 3 when the reality is according to manga readers (I'm an Anime watcher) is that there's a lot of talking - politics/historical related perhaps?

If this is true, oh boy I can't wait to see spicy memes on Season 3.

On the one hand, a lot of people who stick to AoT expecting brain-dead repeats of action scenes will probably drop the series (thank fucking God). But on the other hand, Levi has a HUGE role in the next arc and there's some sweet-ass 3DMG fights that would look amazing animated.
May 27, 2017 5:34 PM

Apr 2013
You know the story is gripping when a 20 minutes episode of just dialogue flew by. Anyways, I have to say I loved Eren's reaction to Reiner's disorder, simply no fucks given lol. Also, I was starting to think they were never gonna show fully what happened to Marco, so that little flashback took me by surprise. All in all, a really good episode
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 27, 2017 5:34 PM
Apr 2016
Wow, this episode didn't really do much. Could have been half as long and still would have conveyed the same amount of information.

So in this episode, we learn that Reiner is Bipolar, they need Christa for something, and Ymir is going to go along with them because she knows who the real enemy is.

So why the hell are they not going to tell Eren? Is it because the real enemy is his dad? Humanity? Will Eren ever make it back to his house to go to the basement or whatever?

This episode imo felt pointless, because most of it was asking the same questions and getting no answers. Sure we learn about Reiner, but making the audience sympathise with him now, after Bertholdt and him turned out to be the worst titans doesn't exactly change anything. Plus it is now just a chore watching it and waiting for these answers that will never be answered until the plot advances further.

And what was with Eren saying he was going to suppress his emotions to get some answers from them? He didn't ask anything! Ymir was basically the only one to interact with Bertholdt and Reiner, and that didn't accomplish anything other then them basically telling her to shut up because they don't want Eren to know anything.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
May 27, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2016
So much of a story building this episode, many pieces are still missing though..
May 27, 2017 5:53 PM

Jun 2014
Modernoir said:
Benio_ said:

In the way that I'm expecting something to happen, but nothing happened at the end. Even when something did happened, it's intentionally being dragged on to waste time with flashbacks and drawn-out fights.

I agree One Piece is not as half as interesting as this. But the direction where this anime is heading towards to, is very similar to One Piece. An example of an anime that's doing the opposite job of this is Re:zero, in which every episode is full of developments and didn't waste a single second of time, and that's why it's a 10/10 anime.
May 27, 2017 5:58 PM
Aug 2014
People who expect every single episode to be action packed/contain huge reveals seriously puzzle me. There needs to be story and build up for the reveal to have weight, plus, it isn't as if this episode was completely devoid of revelations! (The Marco flashback)
May 27, 2017 5:58 PM

May 2010
O shit, another great episode! It seems that Reiner has split-personality, seeing his ambitious and kind soldier side was quite sad, considering their current circumstances... Also Bertholdt's reaction were priceless again, gosh. I guess I was a bit surprised to see him and Reiner just accepting being called murderers by Eren, I thought they'd be more like "it's not like that, you don't understand anything!" but nnnope.

Eren's expressions were creepy too... T^T

Urghhh knowing that plenty of answers were already introduced in manga makes me wanna catch up with it so badly!
May 27, 2017 5:59 PM
May 2016
Benio_ said:
Modernoir said:

In the way that I'm expecting something to happen, but nothing happened at the end. Even when something did happened, it's intentionally being dragged on to waste time with flashbacks and drawn-out fights.

I agree One Piece is not as half as interesting as this. But the direction where this anime is heading towards to, is very similar to One Piece. An example of an anime that's doing the opposite job of this is Re:zero, in which every episode is full of developments and didn't waste a single second of time, and that's why it's a 10/10 anime.

Normally I'd agree for something like last week's episode and how that was handled but this week's episode was hardly that, it gave a bigger insight into the main antagonists of the series and hinted at their motivations. Hell even the flashback was completely new and was handled in such a way that didn't spoil events (since it was actually a chapter MUCH later in the manga) while still giving more information on the trio in a more subtle way.

Admittedly never watched Re:zero so I can't agree or disagree with the comparison, but I don't really think the season's been offensive so far with flashbacks aside from one or two of the earlier episodes and episode 8. This I'd say is an example of a flashback done right because it was completely from Reiner's perspective and gave enough details without completely spoiling the character in an exposition-filled flashback.

Considering how the series is chock-full of fighting, an episode like this is definitely needed to show just how complex the main antagonists are. If they went the easy road they could've skipped episodes like this and just thrown all focus on story-telling out the window for a much more shallow, shounen-like experience.
May 27, 2017 6:02 PM
Jul 2014
Eren's always so pissed.
May 27, 2017 6:03 PM
Aug 2014
Benio_ said:
Modernoir said:

This is pretty much exactly how it happened in the Manga. Plus, they only have 12 episodes, and they have to end this season so as it corresponds with the end of the current arc, otherwise they'd end the season in a totally inappropriate time story wise. They needed to use those flashbacks to very slightly extend the episodes (these flashbacks aren't filler by the way, they come later in the manga) because they used too many chapters on the fight in a single episode.
May 27, 2017 6:07 PM
Aug 2014
Unleashed_SM said:
Eren's always so pissed.

Aside from Eren's emotional nature, I think that's a pretty reasonable and realistic reaction to the ones who pushed humanity to the brink of extinction and pretty much killed his mother...
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 15, 2017

690 by Nsanunatto »»
Today, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 12, 2017

496 by Magicallykitten »»
Apr 13, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 6, 2017

931 by Angel_crush1 »»
Mar 31, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Apr 21, 2017

465 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 9, 2017

525 by Apreggi »»
Mar 11, 5:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.