Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 6, 2016 11:21 PM

Jan 2010
Forgive me if this is not worthy of a discussion, but I see highly negative feedback to Berserk 2016's premiere, and I can't help but find it familiar. I am wondering if others feel the same about the negativity.

When Berserk 1997 was first dubbed in the states, I heard nothing but derision of its voice cast, animation, and music. I heard things like "the voice cast was too amateur, the story isn't accurate, the animation was a slide show, and the music was so out of place" among other complaints. Additionally, forums would often mock the story and say it's just a teaser for the manga. Naturally, the score on MAL was lower than it now, as well.

Fast forward to Berserk 2016 when episode 1 has just premiered. There is nothing but derision of its animation and music. People are saying "The CGI hiccups like a slide show, the story doesn't follow correctly, and the metal is so out of place." The forums are alight with flame wars of rebellion and cynicism.

It seems like people love Berserk 1997 now; there's almost nothing but praise for it, even though the first episode of that was sluggish to say the least. Comparatively, Berserk 2016's first episode says a great deal more about Guts' character, and even gives him more lines, taken straight from the manga.

So, what's the deal? It seems either people are being overly pessimistic, or don't realize Berserk's actual legacy; Berserk has never started off strong, nor has it ever possessed silky animation, renowned composition, or logical story structure. Are we watching history repeat itself or is this show actually bad?

I think it's the former and that people will eventually love Berserk 2016 after shedding their rosy retrospective glasses.
BrockemsockemJul 6, 2016 11:24 PM
Jul 6, 2016 11:23 PM

Dec 2013
I don't really remember that far back but I do know that the old Berserk gets mostly praise. Especially for its music.
Jul 6, 2016 11:28 PM

Jan 2010
G_Spark233 said:
I don't really remember that far back but I do know that the old Berserk gets mostly praise. Especially for its music.

Yes, now it does, anyway, and I do agree with the praise. Still, I recall quite a division of fans saying the score was too upbeat, the opening and ending were anachronistic to the story, etc. In 2016, it seems like we're seeing the same complaints, only much more fervent, as if these design choices are transgressions.
Jul 6, 2016 11:31 PM

Jan 2010
Motoko-Kusanagi said:
What are you talking about?
Berserk doesn’t have anime adaptations! O_o
xD

Haha, you're great.
Jul 7, 2016 2:50 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I try to keep in mind that the 97 anime didn't have a great start either. But, it also didn't skip quite as much material either, and that is what I'm really disappointed about.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 7, 2016 3:13 AM
Jul 2013
I think there are several reasons people are upset.

1) Several character building arcs were skipped, such as the Black Swordsman arc and my personal favorite, the Lost Children arc. The golden age arc was one of the first, so this wasnt really a problem for the 1997 version.

2) The animation was shoddy at best. Some of the scenes, like the bandit stepping on that boy, were some of the worst I have seen. Even with the divisive CGI/non-CGI argument, the animation can be agreed upon as awful (see the contrast vs 3D characters and 2D backgrounds, weird shiny skeletons, etc.). Animation in the 1997 version was good for its time.

3) It was not faithful to the source material in some parts, which the 1997 version was (excluding some rape scenes not shown because it was 1997)

4) I did not watch the dubbed version of the 1997 anime, but the subbed voice actors and music was on point. The golden arc is supposed to be uplifting, in the majority of the later part at least. Up until the eclipse, of course. Whereas in the 2016 version, the metal just doesn't seem to fit in. Gatts punching one dude? metal. Gatts killing an army of undead? metal. Gatts walking through town? metal. Anything happening without metal? no background music at all.

This is just my rant after watching the first episode, please correct me if my facts are mistaken :)
Jul 9, 2016 9:21 PM
Jan 2016
Brockemsockem said:
When Berserk 1997 was first dubbed in the states, I heard nothing but derision of its voice cast, animation, and music. I heard things like "the voice cast was too amateur, the story isn't accurate, the animation was a slide show, and the music was so out of place" among other complaints. Additionally, forums would often mock the story and say it's just a teaser for the manga. Naturally, the score on MAL was lower than it now, as well.

Fast forward to Berserk 2016 when episode 1 has just premiered. There is nothing but derision of its animation and music. People are saying "The CGI hiccups like a slide show, the story doesn't follow correctly, and the metal is so out of place." The forums are alight with flame wars of rebellion and cynicism.

The criticism of the 1997 and 2016 adaptations have very different circumstances, in my opinion.

If you're referring specifically to the NA dub of the original anime, then I have to point out that was actually in 2002, so if people were complaining about the animation based solely on the DVD release, then they were judging animation that was five years old. That may not sound like a huge amount of time, but by 2002 people would have been comparing Berserk to titles like Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Still frames weren't uncommon in '97 anime, so it wasn't bad by the standards of the time it was actually aired.

The complaints of Berserk 2016's animations are comparing it to its current peers, not some standard that's five years in the future. The whole point of using CG animation is so animators don't have to resort to still frames and slow motion to cut corners during production, yet we see that being used (along with extreme closeups) a bit too liberally in this series - maybe it's meant to harken back to the still frames of the '97 anime, but CG is an incredibly poor choice for that style, particularly if the models can't stand up to such close scrutiny; additionally CG animation is supposed to introduce consistency into the animation, yet it seems like the modeling/rendering team and regular art team never compared works because Guts keeps losing and gaining 20 pounds whenever they switch between 2D and 3D.

So as far as animations go, comparing the reactions to Berserk '97 and Berserk 2016 is unfair; the former didn't do anything technically wrong for its time, it just got judged at higher standards because of a late localization, while the latter is being judged harshly because not only does it do CGI poorly compared to other CGI titles that came before it, the studio also seems intent on not utilizing any of the advantages that CGI gives.
MysteriousBananaJul 9, 2016 11:35 PM
Jul 9, 2016 9:50 PM

Dec 2014
G_Spark233 said:

I completely and totally disagree with this. The 1997 adaptation deserves praise for a lot of things but the music sure as hell isn't one of them. The soundtrack is horrifically repetitive and generally not well-placed, and the opening theme is honestly the worst I've ever heard. I seriously can't think of one that's worse.

What was great about the original was not the technical details: it didn't look or sound that great. But they got the story and characters right. And that's all they had to do. With the new one, they don't seem to have any grasp over what the tone of Berserk is or how to present its characters. In my opinion they've got about 35% of the story correct and maybe 60% of the characterization correct.

Sure, they've got time to improve and clean things up, but at this point I don't feel great about the direction it's going.
Jul 10, 2016 4:52 AM

Jul 2009
Every adaption so far has the same major flaws. Inconsistent animation quality and plot skipping.

The 2016 adaption seems to only "enhance" those flaws and take them to the next level.
Jul 11, 2016 8:56 AM
Dec 2013
I think history is repeating itself since the 2016 version skips the Black Swordsman arc, just like how the 1997 version did.
wildhoodJul 11, 2016 9:13 AM
Jul 11, 2016 9:07 AM

Jan 2015
Nah, I can't stand the original anime.

The music is stellar however, and the English outtakes are pretty amusing.
Jul 11, 2016 11:08 AM

Dec 2009
BadVoodoo said:
G_Spark233 said:

I completely and totally disagree with this. The 1997 adaptation deserves praise for a lot of things but the music sure as hell isn't one of them. The soundtrack is horrifically repetitive and generally not well-placed, and the opening theme is honestly the worst I've ever heard. I seriously can't think of one that's worse.

Some tracks are great in my opinion, such as the Guts theme, Earth and Murder. About the opening soundtrack... not sure what they were thinking at the time. But honestly, I dislike the song they chose for this anime's OP as well, it just doesn't remind me of Berserk at all.

The song for the movies, Aria, was amazing though.
Jul 11, 2016 11:18 AM

Sep 2013
Can you even start making an argument pro or against it, after what 2 eps ? this i wonder
Once an alt always an alt! | ( ˇ෴ˇ ) | I ♥ Music
Jul 11, 2016 11:53 AM
Jun 2015
The old version (1997) was completed emasculated in comparison to the manga, and, rightly, deserved the criticism it received. The darkness of Berserk is a large part of the appeal, so even a PG-13 level would never be enough. They blew it so bad they completely remade three movies to compensate.

Example: in the manga, Giffith straight up trades sex with a duke for troops. In the anime, they just hint around so it is confusing if you didn't read the source material.

As for the new version, it's very solid so far and much more faithful to the manga. The three movies did the same and I was very happy.

I guess what I am saying is the reception is different because the content is different. The expectation was much higher the first time around and they missed pretty bad on pulling it off. The new show is promising, but needs more time to truly be evaluated.

I seriously saw people giving it zeros before the release date. I don't know why...maybe some of the manga readers are just totally against the idea of another attempt at the anime after the first one? The hate for this series, outside of the unapproachable levels of violence, is unwarranted. Since I don't mind a little violence, it's all good with me.
Jul 11, 2016 5:22 PM
Dec 2014
I also remember The Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage getting a lot of criticism, not only was it not what people wanted at the time but the game play sucked.
Jul 11, 2016 11:18 PM

Oct 2014
G_Spark233 said:
Same, I was only 4 months old when it started airing.
Jul 11, 2016 11:34 PM

Mar 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
G_Spark233 said:
Same, I was only 4 months old when it started airing.

Jul 12, 2016 5:32 AM
Aug 2015
BadVoodoo said:
G_Spark233 said:

That's what I thought too, until I actually sat down and listened to the OST a few months after finishing Berserk. It deserves the praise. It is Berserk.

Whereas this shite... this isn't Berserk at all.

The_McS said:
Example: in the manga, Giffith straight up trades sex with a duke for troops. In the anime, they just hint around so it is confusing if you didn't read the source material.

One needs to be very oblivious if they didn't understand that. Hell, Casca even asks him why he did it. And he replies with "I'm just a girl who can't say no. Can't seem to say it at all..." in musical fashion, obviously.
archaaiJul 12, 2016 5:39 AM
Jul 12, 2016 5:38 AM
Aug 2015
As some others pointed out, when Berserk came out the animation was mostly ok and on-par with other series that came out in the same time period. Animation improved at an incredible pace when Berserk was dubbed.
archaaiJul 12, 2016 5:41 AM
Jul 12, 2016 5:55 AM
Jan 2016
The_McS said:

If I recall correctly, the scene in the manga is identical to how it played out in the '97 anime. Casca is at the bottom of a flight of stairs, looks up to see a naked Griffith, and just as she's about to call out to him she sees pedoDuke lead take him away; after that scene it cuts to her trying to comfort Griffith when he's trying to wash his skin off.

I honestly don't see how that's ambiguous or confusing. I watched the original airing without any subs or dubs, only had a basic understanding of Japanese at the time, and hadn't read any of the manga, yet I didn't have any problems understanding what happened.
Jul 12, 2016 6:21 AM

Jan 2010
MysteriousBanana said:

The criticism of the 1997 and 2016 adaptations have very different circumstances, in my opinion.

If you're referring specifically to the NA dub of the original anime, then I have to point out that was actually in 2002, so if people were complaining about the animation based solely on the DVD release, then they were judging animation that was five years old. That may not sound like a huge amount of time, but by 2002 people would have been comparing Berserk to titles like Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Still frames weren't uncommon in '97 anime, so it wasn't bad by the standards of the time it was actually aired.

The complaints of Berserk 2016's animations are comparing it to its current peers, not some standard that's five years in the future. The whole point of using CG animation is so animators don't have to resort to still frames and slow motion to cut corners during production, yet we see that being used (along with extreme closeups) a bit too liberally in this series - maybe it's meant to harken back to the still frames of the '97 anime, but CG is an incredibly poor choice for that style, particularly if the models can't stand up to such close scrutiny; additionally CG animation is supposed to introduce consistency into the animation, yet it seems like the modeling/rendering team and regular art team never compared works because Guts keeps losing and gaining 20 pounds whenever they switch between 2D and 3D.

So as far as animations go, comparing the reactions to Berserk '97 and Berserk 2016 is unfair; the former didn't do anything technically wrong for its time, it just got judged at higher standards because of a late localization, while the latter is being judged harshly because not only does it do CGI poorly compared to other CGI titles that came before it, the studio also seems intent on not utilizing any of the advantages that CGI gives.

The animation argument doesn't make any sense if you're looking at it from a technological perspective, though. Many Gundam series, Revolutionary girl Utena, Outlaw Star, and tons of well-animated shows came out at that time; Berserk 1997's shortcomings of animation had nothing to do with technology or industry practice and everything to do with lack of budget. Still, 1997 gets praise while Berserk 2016 gets hate. That's what perplexes me so.

On_the_Lam said:
As some others pointed out, when Berserk came out the animation was mostly ok and on-par with other series that came out in the same time period. Animation improved at an incredible pace when Berserk was dubbed.

It was absolutely not on-par with the other series that came out. It was mostly hand-drawn stills. I recommend going back and watching some 90's anime, especially other manga adaptations and OVAs; a great deal of them look more realistic and have more detail than shows today. Don't forget, Cowboy Bebop was a 1998 anime, one year later than Berserk 1997.

Status_Effect said:
Nah, I can't stand the original anime.

The music is stellar however, and the English outtakes are pretty amusing.

Haha, yes, the English outtakes are the best bloopers of any show ever. They had an astoundingly talented and personable crew and I was so glad to see them return in the movies.

8track said:
I think history is repeating itself since the 2016 version skips the Black Swordsman arc, just like how the 1997 version did.

A very interesting point. Can we be certain they're skipping the arc and not just condensing with the next? It seems as if they didn't want to spend time on the original manga since it basically just leads to the Golden Age flashback?

ziggy_Z, unf.
BrockemsockemJul 12, 2016 6:27 AM
Jul 12, 2016 8:16 AM
Jan 2016
Brockemsockem said:
MysteriousBanana said:

The animation argument doesn't make any sense if you're looking at it from a technological perspective, though. Many Gundam series, Revolutionary girl Utena, Outlaw Star, and tons of well-animated shows came out at that time; Berserk 1997's shortcomings of animation had nothing to do with technology or industry practice and everything to do with lack of budget. Still, 1997 gets praise while Berserk 2016 gets hate. That's what perplexes me so.

Well, the simplest reason is you don't need to compare two things you hate to express why you hate one of them. You'll compare something you like to something you hate to illustrate what you believe the flaws are, but it doesn't work quite as well if you're using something you hate as an exemplar (unless the argument is "this is shit, but at least it's not as shitty as the other one").

That being said, I have to disagree about Utena's animation, it was on par with Berserk's, they just cut different corners. Won't knock 08th MS Team though, big fan of down-to-earth Gundam stories.
Jul 12, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2009
Wait, what? He didn't say he's never read the manga, he said at the time he first saw the anime he hadn't read it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2016 5:15 PM

Jul 2015
G_Spark233 said:

Susumu Hirasawa's ost for the 90s anime was god tier, really fit with the atmosphere of Berserk.
Jul 12, 2016 5:29 PM
Jun 2015
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Wait, what? He didn't say he's never read the manga, he said at the time he first saw the anime he hadn't read it.

Absolutely right...I misread it the first time. Deleted the post.
Jul 12, 2016 6:13 PM
Jan 2016
The_McS said:
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

Oh, I can see how what I wrote could be misinterpreted, sorry about that.

But yeah, I watched it in '97, then spent three or four years pining for a US DVD release (no way in hell was I paying for the Japanese DVDs, that's way too expensive), and it was around then that I realized where I could get English scanlations of the manga.
Jul 13, 2016 12:58 PM
Jun 2015
MysteriousBanana said:
The_McS said:

Oh, I can see how what I wrote could be misinterpreted, sorry about that.

But yeah, I watched it in '97, then spent three or four years pining for a US DVD release (no way in hell was I paying for the Japanese DVDs, that's way too expensive), and it was around then that I realized where I could get English scanlations of the manga.

My main point was that the manga is solid NC-17 stuff and the '97 series has nowhere near the level and intensity of sex and violence.

FYI - I also searched out the manga after watching the "97 series because the lack of conclusion in the series.
Jul 13, 2016 4:36 PM

Dec 2011
BadVoodoo said:
G_Spark233 said:

Definitely going to have to disagree with you in regards to the music, I love it. And I know I'm far from the only one, it always seems to get praised whenever the 90s series is brought up in conversation (just like in this thread).

I mean sure its 'Engrish-ey' as all hell, but I thought it suited the animated series they made in a weird but true way.

Actually, I think it was the utter catchy strangeness of it combined with the atmosphere of certain tracks.

But I watched this series way back in the day, way before I had even heard of manga in general. The Berserk anime was largely responsible for getting me into anime in the first place. Of course the manga has trumped it in every way (being the equivalent of a Shakespearian masterpiece)

Anyway it just goes to show how much personal taste matters with these sorts of things. What is not subjective however is the butchery of these new anime, just shameful. I won't even bother with this new one, the movies were painful enough!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2016 12:31 AM

Jan 2010
LayedBack said:

Anyway it just goes to show how much personal taste matters with these sorts of things. What is not subjective however is the butchery of these new anime, just shameful. I won't even bother with this new one, the movies were painful enough!

That's exactly what I'm trying to understand: where is the butchery?
You can't honestly expect an adaptation of a manga that's been going for twenty-five years to cover absolutely everything faithfully; the 1997 series didn't, either, so why has the standard suddenly changed for the movies and the 2016 series?

It obviously is subjective because I've enjoyed absolutely everything Berserk-related, albeit not equally.
Jul 14, 2016 12:59 AM

Jul 2009
Brockemsockem said:

That's exactly what I'm trying to understand: where is the butchery?
You can't honestly expect an adaptation of a manga that's been going for twenty-five years to cover absolutely everything faithfully; the 1997 series didn't, either, so why has the standard suddenly changed for the movies and the 2016 series?

Hunter x Hunter 2011 and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 happened (for example).

While 1997 skipped some stuff about the Golden Age Arc it didn't skip and merge nearly as much as this new 2016 adaption appears to be doing, we can only hope there will be tons of flashbacks in the future. And are we wrong to expect better as time goes on?
Jul 14, 2016 5:25 AM

Jan 2010
Mezziaz said:

While 1997 skipped some stuff about the Golden Age Arc it didn't skip and merge nearly as much as this new 2016 adaption appears to be doing, we can only hope there will be tons of flashbacks in the future. And are we wrong to expect better as time goes on?

Both of which were not 100% faithful adaptations, either. Hunter x Hunter 2011, for example, rockets through tons of story content in just its first episode alone without expanding on much of any of it. This is especially evident upon viewing the first HxH series that takes several developmental episodes to get to the same plot point.

I never said anything of the sort in regards to better expectations, I said hold to the same standard, which is evidently too much to ask; It doesn't make sense to condemn one version of a show, then praise another version which commits arguably equal infractions toward the source material.

The pessimism surrounding Berserk 2016 reeks more and more of hypocrisy and unappeasability.
BrockemsockemJul 14, 2016 5:29 AM
Jul 14, 2016 9:50 AM

Jun 2009
Brockemsockem said:
Mezziaz said:

Both of which were not 100% faithful adaptations, either. Hunter x Hunter 2011, for example, rockets through tons of story content in just its first episode alone without expanding on much of any of it. This is especially evident upon viewing the first HxH series that takes several developmental episodes to get to the same plot point.

I never said anything of the sort in regards to better expectations, I said hold to the same standard, which is evidently too much to ask; It doesn't make sense to condemn one version of a show, then praise another version which commits arguably equal infractions toward the source material.

The pessimism surrounding Berserk 2016 reeks more and more of hypocrisy and unappeasability.

It's not about being completely faithful, it's about being true to the spirit of the source, which those series definitely are. And, hell, HxH didn't outright cut out Hunter Exam, either. It spent 20 episodes on that arc, and then adapted every other arc that was already in the first anime. 75 episodes is how long that took. What Berserk 2016 has done is like what it would have been like if Madhouse had skipped right to Chimera Ant, because fuck those other arcs. They've been adapted right?

I think, fundamentally, it was a bad idea to do this so soon after the GA films. My ideal adaptation is definitely the series structured how it was in the manga with maybe some changes to better tie in Black Swordsman with the other arcs. But, I can get over that it's redundant to do GA again after it's been adapted twice with one of those being recent, the Dude can not abide BS and especially the excellent Lost Children not being adapted, though.

If it's because the content is too much for a TV series, then I question as to whether it was a smart decision to even do a TV series. But since there is more money and exposure in TV I even get that. I suppose the best thing would have been to keep the arcs in and cut out particularly screwed up scenes like "Adult Attack!' and put them in the BD. Kind of like what Ufotable does with the Fate/ series.

As far as Berserk '97. Yes, it cut stuff out. Excellent stuff too like Skull Knight, and that is not good because the viewer is left wondering "well, how did Gut's get out of the Eclipse then?" Hell, they don't even know Casca survived. But, all that aside, it still got the story it was telling and was, imo, a great anime on it's own despite not being a very faithful adaptation. Berserk 2016 only has two episodes and also it took '97 a little while to find it's footing so I basically agree that the pitchforks have come out too soon. Animation aside and how it hurt scenes like Farnese's freakout on Guts, ep 2 seemed to hit the feel of the series a little better so we'll see how Conviction comes out.

It's just I want more of a HxH 2011 or Jojo or Monster or even Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood adaptation because, yes, the first 13 eps or so were breezed through but at least the material wasn't outright skipped. I bet that's what many fans wanted, at least of material that hasn't even been adapted.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 14, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2009
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

It's just I want more of a HxH 2011 or Jojo or Monster or even Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood adaptation because, yes, the first 13 eps or so were breezed through but at least the material wasn't outright skipped. I bet that's what many fans wanted, at least of material that hasn't even been adapted.

Just wanted to say that your post above was a great one. It explains the situation perfectly.
Jul 14, 2016 3:14 PM

Nov 2012
Coming from a person who has not read, played games, or watched the previous series or any films on this franchise It seems average right now with its story and the animation fits the type of feeling the shows giving off. I can assume the originals are not covering this much content this quickly but it seems to be flowing decently to me at the very least. To me it seems alright so far and probably shouldn't be getting shit on as hard. Then again I do understand when something I love has an adaptation which is nothing like the original and you can't help but feel upset. So i do understand where people are coming from.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.