Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2016 1:50 PM

Jun 2015
I'm currently a high school student, who has a lot on his mind about current interests, as well as my future plans regarding college and my career. I know that aiming for a job in the anime industry is unrealistic and probably not optimal. However, I want to maybe "get my foot in the door," so to speak, and get involved in the community from as early of an age as possible. Peers, teachers, and my parents (of course) are pushing me to make my summer productive by engaging in programs that are aligned to my future goals.
So, my question here is: Are there any ways (internships, volunteer, jobs) that a high school student like myself can get involved with the anime community/industry?

良い曲 // アスカ名言

ママ、ママ、わかったわ。ATフィールドの意味!!私を護っていてくれてる!私を見てくれてる!!ずっと、ずっと一緒だったのね!ママッ!!

気持ち悪い
Feb 22, 2016 1:51 PM

Jan 2012
Becoming a Mal moderator or maybe join the club that write article

Feb 22, 2016 1:53 PM

Jul 2012
I'm a little bit lucky while I work as a bookseller for a big label here in germany and they have manga. Well it's a small department but better than nothing.

Feb 22, 2016 1:54 PM

Jun 2009
EDIT: This is for if you want to be an animator. Advice may not apply for publishing/editing, ect.
Well, a major consideration would have to be where you are situated. Not everyone can get into the anime industry; it's a lot of hard work, especially if you're not natively Japanese. There have been success stories, if you can call them that, but those foreign animators that do break into the industry tell of horrific hours and pain riddled wrists.

If you still want to give it a go, try doing some independent animation, to build up a portfolio. An animation studio is much more likely to give you a chance if you can show some of your work. That having been said, I'm afraid I don't have any connections, nor can I recommend you any to get into the industry itself.
It may just come down to contacting studios or known animators personally. Hope your Japanese is up to scratch!

Good luck :)
Feb 22, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2012
From what I hear, the treatment of non-Japanese animators and personnel in the anime industry is one that shouldn't be sought. A lot of racism goes on in the companies and studios that bring us the vast amount of pirated products we enjoy. It's not as if Japanese animators have it much better, since they're treated like expendable slaves that are treated to inhumane working conditions and awful wages.

And as far as the community goes, the vast majority of it is filled with immature, ignorant and foolish bigots that can't do anything but act in the most undesirable way the majority of the time. The minority tends to be pretty cool, but the odds of running into them much less likely than the rest. I would abandon all hopes of being involved with this childish community.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 22, 2016 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
You could just teach yourself to handle some animation programs. It's the internet, possibilities are endless in terms of available programs (legally or illegally), youtube tutorials etc...
If you really want to consider becoming an animator it's not a bad way to test your passion to try and learn something on your own and see if you wanna stick with it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2016 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
wataru99 said:
I'm currently a high school student, who has a lot on his mind about current interests, as well as my future plans regarding college and my career. I know that aiming for a job in the anime industry is unrealistic and probably not optimal. However, I want to maybe "get my foot in the door," so to speak, and get involved in the community from as early of an age as possible. Peers, teachers, and my parents (of course) are pushing me to make my summer productive by engaging in programs that are aligned to my future goals.
So, my question here is: Are there any ways (internships, volunteer, jobs) that a high school student like myself can get involved with the anime community/industry?

This might interest you.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/03/08/one-of-the-only-non-japanese-anime-artist-offers-his-perceptive-on-life-of-an-anime-worker

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-12-31/animator-henry-thurlow-on-judgment-and-justice/.97112

I think it depends on how passionate you are about being involved and seeking a future career.
Feb 22, 2016 4:11 PM

Jul 2014
Get your foot in Funimation, or move to Japan.
Feb 22, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2015
Holybaptiser said:
<Insert human filth here>

Abandon all hope, yee who enter here.
Feb 22, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2014
How to be a part of the anime community in 5(five) very simple steps
-Recommend any new or casual viewers Boku no Pico
-Post pictures of your waifu. Everywhere.
-Blame everyone for hurting the industry
-Then turn around and hurt the industry
-Also a body pillow wouldn't hurt
Feb 22, 2016 5:44 PM

Jun 2012
Tylaen said:
Holybaptiser said:
<Insert human filth here>

Abandon all hope, yee who enter here.
That hurts my feelingz, mang. I truly do have pure-hearted ulterior motives.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 22, 2016 5:47 PM

May 2014
I'm working on becoming a scanslator, so there is that
Feb 22, 2016 7:07 PM

Nov 2015
>Go to animation school
>Become a MAL mod or blogger or something productive online
>Get a degree
>Make some small shitty projects with friends
>Use the aforementioned stuff to make portfolio
>Probably get a small job in a small time animation studio to gain work experience.
>Probably apply to go to Japan.

I don't know a whole lot but one thing I do know is that it's gonna be hella tough.
The slave drive anime industry in Japan and low wages mean that the only reason you'd want to work there is for self/work satisfaction..
Feb 22, 2016 7:20 PM

Apr 2015
Temmie said:
How to be a part of the anime community in 5(five) very simple steps
-Recommend any new or casual viewers Boku no Pico
-Post pictures of your waifu. Everywhere.
-Blame everyone for hurting the industry
-Then turn around and hurt the industry
-Also a body pillow wouldn't hurt

^
This! Just do this! This is all you need :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2016 11:25 PM

Jun 2007
While I can't guarantee it'll work for getting into the anime industry, if you want to be involved with the anime community, I suggest joining the staff of a convention. There's a wide variety of (volunteer) work to be done during the event and throughout the year during the planning process, depending on the size of the convention. Once you've paid your dues and proven yourself reliable and not annoying, there's also opportunities for advancement as older staffers get too busy with work/real life, age out, or burn out. (Heck, the coordinator who handles day-of Volunteers at the con I staff for is only 17.) And being able to call yourself a Manager/Director/etc. can help with the ol' résume-building. Convention superiors can also make for good references -- bosses at "real" jobs are generally limited to saying "yes, this person has/worked here for X period of time" when called for references, but convention higher-ups aren't limited by those corporate constraints.

So again, staffing a convention might not get you into the anime industry (though it is possible to meet industry figures at them), but it could serve you well for various kinds of future employment. And of course, conventions can be found all over the US and Europe/UK/CA/AU/NZ, so you aren't limited by factors like "I'm in Michigan and the companies are in Texas."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Feb 22, 2016 11:56 PM

May 2015
If thee are any anime conventions around, volunteer. It's a lot of fun and you meet a lot of people.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 22, 2016 11:58 PM

Apr 2014
Apply for MAL Rewrite and you might eventually get a badge saying you wrote something lol.
Feb 23, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2015
Your prospects aren't the best if you live in the west. You may want to think long and hard about this and see what options are available to you; there really aren't as many as you might hope there are. I've heard of people starting by writing doushinji and eventually getting a career out of it, but you shouldn't get your hopes up. Honestly I'd advise you to keep anime and shit related to it as a hobby. If something comes of it that's great but aside from publishing/translation I don't know what else you could get into without a large amount of difficulty.

More topics from this board

» Filler arcs are not that bad, you're just too old and have access to the internet.

LenRea - Yesterday

20 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
36 seconds ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

86 by ColourWheel »»
35 seconds ago

» One person's trash, is another person's treasure

JaaShooUhh - 15 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - Jun 5

29 by AshuAmbrose »»
3 minutes ago

» How did the (first 10) anime end up on your favorites list?

JaaShooUhh - 2 hours ago

14 by samot-frt »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.