Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 3, 2016 11:00 AM

Sep 2013
There are good anime produced nowadays and there are bad anime produced nowadays. Just like in the 00's, the 90's, the 80's, the 70's and so on. Your favourite decade is in no way superioir to todays time. The anime industry not matching your personal taste does not mean that todays anime are bad or uncreative. Your subjective opinion does not match the objective state of the industry (neither does mine). So, get over it and enjoy whatever you like watching.
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:07 AM
Feb 3, 2016 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
And then some people wonder why a lot of people are so against people like op. It's because of their disgusting attitude. How can you respect someone that looks down on you for liking modern anime?
Feb 3, 2016 11:19 AM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:

2. Utena, Gunbuster, Ergo Proxy, Cowboy Bebop, Ghibli movies like Princess Mononoke and Nausica, Martian Successor Nadesico... And the list goes on. Originals make up a large majority of the best anime, while light novel adaptations are probably the worst. How many ecchi battle harems is there now?

ergo proxy is one of reason why manglobe goes to bankrupcity. and nausica is manga adaptation. the manga even far further than anime and very awesome.

also you look that you really prised LOGH. do you realize that LOGH is one of those LN you right now ditched in? even not officaly, at least they are prodecessor of modern light novel and stabilized LN concept along side with arslan senki and lodoss-tou senki.

Rametheus said:
Kuma said:
so change = worse? no you are not.

also you are not answer any of my argument.
I did not say all changes are for the worse, just specifically the way anime is going.

1. And those light novel ads are making the industry a hellhole for artistry and creativity. It's only getting worse.
2. Entertainment isn't solely wish-fulfillment, the influx of those type of shows make it harder for shows about relevant subject matters to be made.
3. Agree.
4. But everything these days are made with the same moe style, back then there were so much more variation.
5. Not everything was exaggerated muscles then, just need male characters that actually act like males, not the beta self-inserts today who act like girls.
6. Entertainment does not equate with stupidity, if that's the case, Honey Boo Boo must be a masterpiece.
7. People change, but if it's for the worst, I have my right to complain and hope to see better changes to turn it around.

1. already answered it in my post above
2. just because not only desnt mean they are not one.
4. "moe" is only charater design with simplify face with big eyes which is can be rooted invented by osamu tezuka. do you said that osamu tezuka don't have variety in art style?
5. "act like girs" how even they act like girls? gossiping about their firend and going out everyday with frinds? do you realize culture gap?
6. i don't said always i just want to said it's not even new.
7. worse is not in everyone eyes. so you =/= objectivity.
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:07 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 3, 2016 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
Rametheus said:
TitanAnteus said:

THIS SHIT AGAIN!

Why? Are you literally watching no shows?

1. Of course the directors were given creative freedom. No one knew what they were doing. They didn't even have to try hard. There was NO COMPETITION.

Anime is a hard place to survive in. Everyone's trying to outdo one another and really really amazing anime are coming from it.

2. Fuck anime originals. Animators aren't story writers, most "Anime Originals" are the quality of Guilty Crown and "Chaos Dragon." Some of the best material in anime are adaptations. To Aru Hikuushiii No Koiuta is a great anime, based off of a LN.

3. Outside of Legend of Galactic Heroes what old anime novel adaptations were good? The future has Spice and Wolf and Durarara.

4. Violence and Sex was always shallow for the most part. We still get shows that treat violence and sexuality with respect like Gangsta, but old and new anime had fanservice moe anime, and hyper violent edgefests.

5. This complaining about male characters shit again. Male characters right now are fucking fantastic. They're usually either extremely interesting or flawed. Hitsugi no Chaika has a great male MC. Gundam IBO just came out with fantastic male characters. Rakudai Kishi's male character is also really good. Same with Taimadou and Erased, and I'm going to stop listing. Your argument is idiotic.

6. >Characters are usually the same tropes with different color pallettes as difference

Old anime had no real memorable characters. They were so very samey, and when they were "unique" they stuck to tropes. Anime developed and they realized that to create memorable characters they had to dramatize certain elements of their characters and thus "created" tropes.

One of the best old anime Space Battleship Yamato has the hotblooded character, the Kuudere, and the ditzy heroine trope in it.

7. >Quality over Quantity
Have you actually looked at old seasons of anime?
http://anichart.net/archive/fall-95
2 good shows aired that season.

http://anichart.net/archive/fall-13
I enjoyed like 10 shows that season.
1. And yet the stuff made back then were usually better. Because the directors then weren't restrained by corporations to only make stuff for profit, they were able to make shows that were good of their own volition, instead of lifelessly adapting the next flavor of month light novel series.

2. Utena, Gunbuster, Ergo Proxy, Cowboy Bebop, Ghibli movies like Princess Mononoke and Nausica, Martian Successor Nadesico... And the list goes on. Originals make up a large majority of the best anime, while light novel adaptations are probably the worst. How many ecchi battle harems is there now?

3. Nobody's Boy, The Incredible Tide, Anne of Green Gables, Les Miserables, Slayers. Durarara wasn't good either.

4. Yes, but older anime tends to treat these subjects better on average.

5. Majority of new anime MCs are basically the same bland high school boys with some one-note defining trait. There are too few exceptions.

6. No memorable characters? Try the entire male cast of LoGH, Griffith and Guts from Berserk, MCs of Universal Century Gundam series.

7. Enjoyment does not correlate with quality.

That tunnel vision.

Of course you can name a bunch of old anime originals. You're just forgetting about the bad ones.

If you make samey shit you're competing for profit. It's the reason stuff like Erased get adapted. They want to do something new that no one's done before. Cinderella, Snow White, Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter adaptations were a thing. They were just flailing around blindly and not worrying whether or not people would like it. Since barely anything was being made, everyone ate everything up.

Wait Slayers wasn't anime original. Always thought it was, but you're not really making a good point though. Les Miserables the anime wasn't good. I don't know about the rest. I haven't seen them, but I do think Shin Sekai Yori, Baccano, Katanagatari, and Kino No Tabi are great anime, and those are just Light Novel adaptations.

Regarding the sex and violence, I'd say that's a matter of opinion honestly.

Lets look at this ONE season alone about your MC hate fetish.
-Active Raid. Adults. Interesting personalities.
-Erased. Adult in middle schoolers body. Interesting personality.
-Dimension W. Robot and Adult.
-Gate. Adults
-Hai to Gensou To Grimgar. Teenagers forced to live off of the land.
-Shouwa Genroku. Adults.

Ok let's look at 1995.
http://anichart.net/archive/fall-95
All teenagers one adult.

Look don't say divisive things regarding characters. I find most of the Universal Century Gundam protagonists boring. Kamille especially.

LOGH is a space opera. I can't remember any characters name from that show. Granted I watched it like 2 years ago.

How do you judge quality? Everything plays a part in it, and in the end it's how much you enjoy it that matters. Nothing else really matters.

I judge something by how much I enjoyed it when I finished it. Kono Suba doesn't have the best quality this season by the standard definition, but it's the most enjoyable for me.
Feb 3, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2009
Kuma said:
Rametheus said:

ergo proxy is one of reason why manglobe goes to bankrupcity. and nausica is manga adaptation. the manga even far further than anime and very awesome.

also you look that you really prised LOGH. do you realize that LOGH is one of those LN you right now ditched in? even not officaly, at least they are prodecessor of modern light novel and stabilized LN concept along side with arslan senki and lodoss-tou senki.

Αctually Nausicaa movie came first and the manga after if I recall correctly.

Anyways it's not so much a matter of quality for me as a matter of variety both in themes and animation. Even Madhouse that used to provide really innovative stuff has gone to more mainstream visuals.

Up until 2012 we could see a certain level of variety but the last 2 or 3 years it's mostly the same formula. Some of the examples are good but if I eat my favorite food every day i m bound to get sick of it.

Feb 3, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2015
iristella said:
Kuma said:

Anyways it's not so much a matter of quality for me as a matter of variety both in themes and animation. Even Madhouse that used to provide really innovative stuff has gone to more mainstream visuals.

Up until 2012 we could see a certain level of variety but the last 2 or 3 years it's mostly the same formula. Some of the examples are good but if I eat my favorite food every day i m bound to get sick of it.
manga come out 2 years before anime. just checked wiki.

madhouse does shoujo (ore monogatari), josei (chihayafuru), LN adaptation, originals (death parade), long run shounen (hxh), even seinen (parasyte). no variety? okay.

anime are indeed and bad years during 2008-2011 (financial side) and it's also because japanese economic problem. now they are slowly grow again their industries. also many new studio made.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 3, 2016 11:40 AM

Apr 2015
Okay, I'm not joking anymore this time, you say that nowadays ecchis, moes, and harems, are trash, but back then, how many animu like Violence Jack, MD Geist, or Genocyber? There's also alot of GAR****s back then too, it's just that the bad animes are more manly while nowadays bad animes are more sexualized.
Feb 3, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2014
School genre seems to be very popular.

I guess it's because of the creator's demographic.

Feb 3, 2016 11:43 AM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:
Kuma said:

Ergo Proxy is also one of the best anime there is, whether it sells or not does not detract from its quality.

Your argument is faulty at best. Books like Dracula, Hamlet, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and 1984, which are some of the best books, are the predecessors and huge influences of such modern young adult works like Twilight and Hunger Games, but we do not put them in the same category. Same deal with LOGH and Lodoss Wars, they are far different from the modern LNs, can't be compared.
i am not really fans of LN, maybe people who expert in this are like @Zefyris or @kuuderes_shadow can explain it better.

you like it or not, LOGH is part of them. it's just like saying HXH is not shounen because they are not looked like one. and you ditched another shounen.

i don't watch ergo proxy yet and probably never since it's not really cup of my tea, but your quality =/= everyone quality. this is why i usually dislike old fanboys (inb4 butthurt). they said like their opinion is fact.
Feb 3, 2016 11:46 AM

May 2009
Kuma said:
iristella said:

madhouse does shoujo (ore monogatari), josei (chihayafuru), LN adaptation, originals (death parade), long run shounen (hxh), even seinen (parasyte). no variety? okay.

anime are indeed and bad years during 2009-2010 (financial side) and it's also because japanese economic problem. now they are slowly grow again their industries. also many new studio made.

Yes but I wasn't talking about demographic variety. Sorry if I did not explain myself properly. Madhouse (and other studios as well) had ideas in terms of stories, in terms of animation and visuals. I m not sure if we are gonna see another Kaiba from them any time soon. All the anime you mentioned kinda "play it safe". Given how close Madhouse came to go bankrupt before Manglobe I dont exactly blame them and judging by the reactions Aku no Hana by Zexchs got I understand studios being reluctant all the more, but I can't help feeling sad about it.

I really do hope that certain kickstarter projects will be met with success and give an alternative road for japanimation.

Feb 3, 2016 11:59 AM

Mar 2015
iristella said:
Kuma said:

anime are indeed and bad years during 2009-2010 (financial side) and it's also because japanese economic problem. now they are slowly grow again their industries. also many new studio made.

Yes but I wasn't talking about demographic variety. Sorry if I did not explain myself properly. Madhouse (and other studios as well) had ideas in terms of stories, in terms of animation and visuals. I m not sure if we are gonna see another Kaiba from them any time soon. All the anime you mentioned kinda "play it safe". Given how close Madhouse came to go bankrupt before Manglobe I dont exactly blame them and judging by the reactions Aku no Hana by Zexchs got I understand studios being reluctant all the more, but I can't help feeling sad about it.

I really do hope that certain kickstarter projects will be met with success and give an alternative road for japanimation.
so you said my example has no variety? and madhouse playing save with full hxh remade? currently running daiya no a? original shows and even high budgeting movie (the girl who leep through time, summer wars, and wolf children?)

i would admit that most of shows this days playing save because no financial support behind it (ads anime) but doesn't mean they don't take any. as for experimental shows, we just got conrevo by bones. liden films corrently doing another experimental shows (i don't want to said it's name).

as for new road, currently "retro" awekaning are famous, parasyte, osomatsu-san, ushio to tora, even LOGH remade. industry always find a way to survive even it sacrivice older fans. which one give them more profit will survive, and they will sacrifice the rest.
Feb 3, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2013
Rametheus said:
7. Enjoyment does not correlate with quality.

Neither does your opinion, but you are still shoving it down our throats. You have no proof or data to support your claims, but you insist that what you say is the universal truth.
Feb 3, 2016 12:01 PM

May 2009
To be fair bad anime tends to be forgotten easily nowadays too. I doubt many remember No.6 anymore and it was all the rage when it came out.

I don't get what the MC's age has to do with a shows maturity. Wandering Son and Usagi drop deal with early teens and kids and are exceptional and mature shows.

Feb 3, 2016 12:03 PM

Apr 2015
iristella said:
To be fair bad anime tends to be forgotten easily nowadays too. I doubt many remember No.6 anymore and it was all the rage when it came out.

I don't get what the MC's age has to do with a shows maturity. Wandering Son and Usagi drop deal with early teens and kids and are exceptional and mature shows.

This is what I just wanted to say! Let's take a look at Charlotte, it's very hyped last summer, but now? I barely even heard of Charlotte thingy from my casual anime community.
Feb 3, 2016 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Rametheus said:
Back then, bad anime were ignored while the good ones are cherished. Now, bad anime are being hyped and watched while good anime are ignored.

There are exceptions, and Erased seems to be the one this time around, but majority of stuff are the same. You watch one, you've seen them all, but moderns fans don't seem intellectually capable enough to really care, and so they continue eating up bad anime. Nobody ate everything up back then, there's a reason bad anime back then weren't remembered while everyone seems to bask in the shit that is bad modern anime.

Slayers is an adaptation of a Japanese fantasy novel series. Shinsekai Yori is not a light novel series, it's an actual full novel. Those tend to be the best adaptations, Tatami Galaxy is probably the best modern anime and it's an adaptation of an actual novel. Kino no Tabi is made in the very early 2000s, not really modern. Baccano was good, and Katanagatari was pretty good, but they are the exceptions.

Adults who don't act mature is no better than teen characters. Modern anime is a disaster regarding MCs.

Now you're just trolling, can't remember LOGH characters?

That's why I say you have tunnel vision.

You don't know how the community reacted to anime back then. You can only say the things you're saying now because you're looking at anime in hindsight. If people are enjoying their bad anime like Valkyrie Drive let them. It doesn't hurt you. They don't even think the anime is good, but it's fine as long as they're having fun.

Now you're making fun of anime watchers.

You don't get it. Everyone here loves anime. It's why good things still get popular. Kekkai Sensen (young cast too) got spread around like crazy when it was airing. Gundam IBO is getting spread around like crazy.

That sentence, "modern fans don't seem intellectually capable enough to really care," is not only rude, but flat out wrong.

Anime got LOTS of fans because of Attack on Titan and OPM. Those same people shown LOGH usually enjoy it.

Speaking of Gundam and Adult Characters. I love Gundam IBO's cast more than most other gundams. I love Gundam Wing's main cast more than most other Gundams. I love Gundam 00's main cast more than most other Gundams. They're all young.

Young people don't make terrible characters. Look at Gurren Lagann or Knights of Sidonia.

I'm not trolling. That's my honest opinion. I watched LOGH and thought it was good, but I can put names to faces better for Code Geass then in LOGH. If you put a random side characters picture up from both those shows, I'll be able to name like all of the Code Geass characters and almost none of the LOGH characters.
Feb 3, 2016 12:11 PM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:
Kuma said:
i am not really fans of LN, maybe people who expert in this are like @Zefyris or @kuuderes_shadow can explain it better.

you like it or not, LOGH is part of them. it's just like saying HXH is not shounen because they are not looked like one. and you ditched another shounen.

i don't watch ergo proxy yet and probably never since it's not really cup of my tea, but your quality =/= everyone quality. this is why i usually dislike old fanboys (inb4 butthurt). they said like their opinion is fact.
Hunter x Hunter is published in a shounen magazine, it's shounen whether I like it or not. Not a very good comparison.
LOGH is not a light novel series as it wasn't aimed at hormonal teenagers who want cheap wish-fulfillment.

I present my opinions backed up by facts, what's wrong with that?
except it's not fact, just another statement, so you does look like them. logh is LN, even exist in LN database, and published by LN publisher (takuma shoten). it does have influence, but doesn't mean they not ONE! that's my point. i don't said anything with LOGH influence or anything. in fact they are most mainstream scifi novel in japan ever.

iristella said:

now i feel bad for finishing usagi drop manga.

To be fair too, information now retributed faster than ever, so people jumped from bashing shows to another one, another hype shows to another one, unlike before. unlike manga that have longer time release, anime is done fast and quickly. and the new one stabilized it's identity also faster. that's just how it works now.
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:08 AM
Feb 3, 2016 12:24 PM

May 2009
Kuma said:
so you said my example has no variety? and madhouse playing save with full hxh remade? currently running daiya no a? original shows and even high budgeting movie (the girl who leep through time, summer wars, and wolf children?)

i would admit that most of shows this days playing save because no financial support behind it (ads anime) but doesn't mean they don't take any. as for experimental shows, we just got conrevo by bones. liden films corrently doing another experimental shows (i don't want to said it's name).

as for new road, currently "retro" awekaning are famous, parasyte, osomatsu-san, ushio to tora, even LOGH remade. industry always find a way to survive even it sacrivice older fans. which one give them more profit will survive, and they will sacrifice the rest.

I am saying that while many anime from your example are good they are also typical choises if we take a look at what was aired at the time. I don't consider Hunter x Hunter a risk cause we had people clawing their eyes out for a remake since i don't know when. Nor do I consider Diamond no Ace a risk. Sports anime are in a bloom the past years. Oofuri was beloved, Haikyuu is beloved and a lot of others.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying modern anime is shit. And I am certainly not saying that anything past 00s is shit either. The part with male values is also not true, or to be honest i have no idea what op is trying to say there. Even more I agree that we must support financialy the type of anime we wanna see. I am saying that we need more different anime that go beyond what fans expect to see. We dont really have it in the past two or three years.So no need to reference anime in 00s in general. It's not just a Madhouse problem.

We had Kaguya Hime by Ghibli in 2014-2015 and it was ignored in the market even if it is one of the most beautiful in every sense of the word films that have been made the past 10 years.. Soo yeah we kinda bring it upon ourselves.

I am not sure this problem will go away if the industry just remakes older shows and adapt older material by keeping a certain approach. One could remake a succesful anime from the 90s it doesnt mean it's gonna be groundbreaking and it's gonna add something.

Feb 3, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
Rametheus said:
delija9091 said:

Neither does your opinion, but you are still shoving it down our throat.
I back up opinions with objective facts, enjoyment is subjective. There's the difference.
The only thing being shoved down your throats are the large quantities of bad anime, which many of you seem to enjoy partaking in.
iristella said:

Some of the most popular and mainstream are also some of the worst.

MCs do not have to be adults, I previously made a point that adult characters who don't act like proper adults aren't good characters. People seems to be missing my point.

Some of the most popular and mainstream shows are the worst?
More of the most niche and "elite" shows are terrible.

NGE is good. OPM is good. Erased is good. Attack On Titan is good.

People don't usually like something because other people said, "Look it's shakespeare so it's good." They judge things for themselves and the popular ones are the ones judged by the most people to be something they enjoyed.

I can count on one hand how many people I know in Real Life who enjoyed Lain while I know way more people who hated it.

Your definition of adult must be the most boring hyper specific thing in the universe. Especially if you have anything bad to say about Usagi Drop. Wait that's a 2011 anime so you probably haven't seen it. You're missing out on some good shit.

Also...
>back up opinions with objective facts, enjoyment is subjective. There's the difference.
The only thing being shoved down your throats are the large quantities of bad anime, which many of you seem to enjoy partaking in.

When did you forget how to have fun while watching a show? When did you get a broom up your butt.

Shows aren't allowed to just be fun to you. It's better when they're both fun and thought provoking, but just being fun isn't a bad thing.

Look at Summer Wars. An anime with mass appeal that got popular for reasons I've already explained and young characters. That movie is great, but it doesn't really bring anything new and unique to the table. Family is good is a lesson everyone should've learned by now, but that movie is fantastic anyway.
Feb 3, 2016 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
Rametheus said:
TitanAnteus said:

That's why I say you have tunnel vision.

You don't know how the community reacted to anime back then. You can only say the things you're saying now because you're looking at anime in hindsight. If people are enjoying their bad anime like Valkyrie Drive let them. It doesn't hurt you. They don't even think the anime is good, but it's fine as long as they're having fun.

Now you're making fun of anime watchers.

You don't get it. Everyone here loves anime. It's why good things still get popular. Kekkai Sensen (young cast too) got spread around like crazy when it was airing. Gundam IBO is getting spread around like crazy.

That sentence, "modern fans don't seem intellectually capable enough to really care," is not only rude, but flat out wrong.

Anime got LOTS of fans because of Attack on Titan and OPM. Those same people shown LOGH usually enjoy it.

Speaking of Gundam and Adult Characters. I love Gundam IBO's cast more than most other gundams. I love Gundam Wing's main cast more than most other Gundams. I love Gundam 00's main cast more than most other Gundams. They're all young.

Young people don't make terrible characters. Look at Gurren Lagann or Knights of Sidonia.

I'm not trolling. That's my honest opinion. I watched LOGH and thought it was good, but I can put names to faces better for Code Geass then in LOGH. If you put a random side characters picture up from both those shows, I'll be able to name like all of the Code Geass characters and almost none of the LOGH characters.
Evaluations through evidence and observation = tunnel vision?

I've watched anime since 1994 and do know how they reacted to anime. I've went to old rental shops and fan market places with people I know and purchased anime, and we watched everything we buy, but only the good ones are remembered while bad ones only offered some laughs and are forgotten. There weren't large accessible databases or anything, we watch what we buy without knowing what we've got, but modern fans seem to deliberately watch bad shows. Less and less bad shows were made because nobody watches them, until the mid-2000s where bad shows started becoming the norm and everyone eats it up.

Modern fans cling onto things like SAO, Tokyo Ghoul, Danmachi, Love Live; seems incapable of intellectual thought to me.
Most modern fans seems to find LOGH boring, the average AOT wouldn't even have heard of it.

Never said young people make bad characters, as long as they're well-written they're great but problem is most aren't written well.

Tunnel Vision in this sense is looking at the present state of anime and comparing it with how you "think" older anime was received.

Also you just said it.
>but only the good ones are remembered while bad ones only offered some laughs and are forgotten.

That's still how it is today for the most part. Of course since lots of anime are being made people stick to some shows more than others, and everyone has different expectations for different anime.

I feel like you're comparing all anime to one standard of good if you think that everything is loved right now.

How many people even talk about DanMachi anymore. It was fun while it was airing. It was adventurous to say the least, and seeing Bell grow was exciting. The action was good and the potential for romance brought romance fiends in. Otherwise it was an ok show.

Just because we're on the internet now and HYPE is a thing doesn't mean everyone loves the show more now. It still got forgotten.

>Most modern fans seems to find LOGH boring, the average AOT wouldn't even have heard of it.
Not everyone needs to share your taste for space operas but it's a fact that people are just now discovering LOGH and just now adding it into their favorites list.

Anime didn't expand on its own by doing nothing. Mass appeal brought in these new fans. Don't forget that.
Feb 3, 2016 12:36 PM

May 2012
You act like bad shit wasn't made in that era of time.
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:08 AM
Feb 3, 2016 12:39 PM

Mar 2015
iristella said:
I am saying that while many anime from your example are good they are also typical choises if we take a look at what was aired at the time. I don't consider Hunter x Hunter a risk cause we had people clawing their eyes out for a remake since i don't know when. Nor do I consider Diamond no Ace a risk. Sports anime are in a bloom the past years. Oofuri was beloved, Haikyuu is beloved and a lot of others.
HXH is high risk. long run need bigger budget, and infatc it's failure because lower tv ratings and disc sale. as sport anime, except they have been like that since before? the TV record of sport anime still handled by major BTW.
iristella said:
Don't get me wrong I am not saying modern anime is shit. And I am certainly not saying that anything past 00s is shit either. The part with male values is also not true, or to be honest i have no idea what op is trying to say there. Even more I agree that we must support financialy the type of anime we wanna see. I am saying that we need more different anime that go beyond what fans expect to see. We dont really have it in the past two or three years.So no need to reference anime in 00s in general. It's not just a Madhouse problem.
we already get planty, but most of them is overlooked.

iristella said:
We had Kaguya Hime by Ghibli in 2014-2015 and it was ignored in the market even if it is one of the most beautiful in every sense of the word films that have been made the past 10 years.. Soo yeah we kinda bring it upon ourselves.
except the are not? they are only ignored by western anime watcher. the wind rises also when marnie was there alse received pretty good in japan at least, but again, most of them ignored by western. dunno why unlike old ghibli.
iristella said:
I am not sure this problem will go away if the industry just remakes older shows and adapt older material by keeping a certain approach. One could remake a succesful anime from the 90s it doesnt mean it's gonna be groundbreaking and it's gonna add something.
excpet osomatsu san just topping disc sales even have chance to breaking records.
Feb 3, 2016 12:45 PM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:
Some of the most popular and mainstream are also some of the worst.
wait, do you also nitpicking about mainstream shows, or only says some of mainstream shows as mainstream because they are being worst?
Feb 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Nov 2012
Bringing back an old copypaste I saved for threads like these:

Zergneedsfood said:
1. All discussions of the increased prevalence of certain genres of any sort are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. There is no reason why moe, ecchi, harem, VN adaptations or any other popularly criticized genres can't provide substantial contributions to the vast repositories of "good" anime. There are plenty of people who dislike mecha anime, and no matter how "pleb" or "retarded" their opinions might be, it so stands that they probably saw an era of human piloted robots as an era that is bereft of any entertainment value. The same goes for those who dislike science fiction, fantasy, magical girl, etc. who see certain phases/periods of anime history as unappealing to their general proclivities. Hence, it is unreasonable to contest that anime is worse purely because of what one may generalize as "otaku pandering."

2. By extension of observation #1, any argument that panders to the "simplicity" or the "juvenile" nature of new anime is equally void of any real intellectual thought but is grounded in unrealistic generalizations and an inability to recognize that simplicity is far from being inferior to complexity. There are two reasons for this:

a) "Among plots, some are simple and some are complex; for the actions of which plots are representations, are evidently of these kinds [...] These shoud arise from the actual structure of the plot, so it happens that they arise either by necessity or by probability as a result of the preceding events." - Aristotle, Poetics

b) By reductio ad absurdum, this discussion could be exaggerated to the point where we must conclude that all anime is extremely juvenile compared with Dostoevsky or Dante. Trying to compare two juvenile works, in that instance, would be fruitless because it is a matter of which ones are even more juvenile than other.

3. All discussions of how anime is no longer "creative" are lacking in any intellectual rigor, an argument based on hopeless generalizations and blinded by nostalgia tinted glasses. There are plenty of creative anime being made today, whether it be because of their art style, story, or characters. Furthermore, there is no empirical evidence that suggests that the percentage of anime being made today that can be labeled as "creative" is less than the percentage of past anime. There is also a sufficient enough double standard where "old" stuff is not marked down for their "borrowed" material that such a line of argument would only produce responses primed by bias and ignorance. Yakub notes a popular example:

Cowboy bebop borrows much from western media and pop culture in general. his show pays homage to or references, subtly and overtly, things as disparate as Antonio Banderas, Bruce Lee, John Woo, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Convoy, Biggie Smalls, Donald Duck, various mythologies and folktales, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bill Evans, Stray Cats, Alien, blaxploitation films, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Queen, George Clooney, Led Zeppelin, Django and other spaghetti westerns, Herbie Hancock, American and Japanese professional baseball, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Jean-Luc Godard, Batman, B.B. King, Beverly Hills 90210, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, The Unabomber, Heaven's Gate and Marshall Applewhite, Kiss, film noir, The Beatles, Sleeping Beauty, Bonny & Clyde, Ziggy Stardust, Charlie Parker, Woody Allen, Star Trek, Cool Hand Luke, and Taxi Driver. I kid you not. And that's not a complete list. References in character design and dialogue are forgivable, but when it straight up copies scenes and plots then I think it can be held against the show. I feel like I've seen Cowboy Bebop before, it's just been packed into a pretty package. I enjoyed a lot of these homages, but that does not excuse the marked lack of creativity. The mere evocation of a masterpiece does not make a masterpiece. Quentin Tarantino is an example of someone who uses pastiche and cultural references well, and most importantly, his references and homages don't make up his entire videography. There is far too little originality in Cowboy Bebop.

Unless someone compiles a worthwhile empirical study, and adjust figures to account for the size of the industry in previous decades, there is no objective reasonable argument to be made that "creative" anime today is more or less creative than before, let alone explain away the notion why past anime are not subjected to being unoriginal while new anime are. Finally, by another reductio ad absurdum we can also conclude that the only "original" source of creativity was the Bible and other ancient texts that founded the origins of Western and Eastern society. Therefore, anything being made in the 90s, 80s, 70s, and before are all, by this argument, derivative of some more original source. As there is no objective measurement of creativity, we must conclude that this line of reasoning is both empirically asinine and impotent.

There are no other arguments to be made why old anime is somehow unquestionably better than new anime. Since the only arguments have been dismantled, there should be no reason to have more of these threads.
Feb 3, 2016 12:53 PM

Sep 2013
Rametheus said:
delija9091 said:

Neither does your opinion, but you are still shoving it down our throat.
I back up opinions with objective facts, enjoyment is subjective. There's the difference.

Well, actually you are not. You are simply listing anime that you like and things that you personally have observed and treat them as facts even tough they are only your personal experiences and opinions. Nothing objective about that and it also does not prove anything what you say. Like I said in my first post that you so conveniently ignored:

There are good anime produced nowadays and there are bad anime produced nowadays. Just like in the 00's, the 90's, the 80's, the 70's and so on. Your favourite decade is in no way superioir to todays time. The anime industry not matching your personal taste does not mean that todays anime are bad or uncreative. Your subjective opinion does not match the objective state of the industry (neither does mine). So, get over it and enjoy whatever you like watching.
Feb 3, 2016 1:06 PM

Jun 2012
What a shit show. I have gotten cancer and had a little bit of my faith in MAL restored.

But what is faith good for when you have cancer?
HolybaptiserFeb 3, 2016 1:10 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 3, 2016 1:06 PM

May 2009
Kuma said:
iristella said:
HXH is high risk. long run need bigger budget, and infatc it's failure because lower tv ratings and disc sale. as sport anime, except they have been like that since before? the TV record of sport anime still handled by major BTW.
iristella said:

iristella said:
except the are not? they are only ignored by western anime watcher. the wind rises also when marnie was there alse received pretty good in japan at least, but again, most of them ignored by western. dunno why unlike old ghibli.
iristella said:
excpet osomatsu san just topping disc sales even have chance to breaking records.

Kaguya hime is not what you call a commercial success inside or outside of Japan. http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Kaguyahime-no-monogatari/Japan#tab=box-office
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/28/why-is-studio-ghiblis-latest-anime-struggling-at-the-box-office/

Many say that it sealed the deal on Ghibli's fate.

Also even if the top of anime sales is still held by Major that doesn't make the sport genre a risk. It is a valid choise that studios keep rewarding by making more sports anime into their lineup. Though there is a vast difference between the approach Haikyuu had and the approach of Ping Pong the animation. The second being a series that it was much more than a sport anime. I m not trying to devaluate Haikyu as I find it an adorable series in its own genre. It just did not bring the industry a step further.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that HxH is not a success. For a manga that has literally no new chapters on a regular basis, its acclaim both in anime form and manga is astounding. Even without the anime people were constantly talking about it . Also since we are talking about length some of the most succesful studios are those with long series. So not that much of a risk unless we take into account that it held good production values and did not go the DB Super way.

As for Osomatsu san why do you keep mentioning sales? It is in fact a really refreshing anime that has a lot to offer and I am really glad it is doing well. But this has nothing to do with what I was saying. It is a good example of anime being remade in a way that has something to offer but it is still one series. On the other hand there is Sailormoon crystal. Remake of a groundbreaking series that at this point and with the adaptation it got has nothing to offer.

Feb 3, 2016 1:22 PM

Jan 2012
Its hard to take your post seriously when one of your complaints against modern anime is everything being done in "moe" style, I am not even sure what you even mean by moe style. There are legitimate problems with the industry, one of those you even listed about more and more anime being produced, but it feels like you are more concerned about the decline in shows that personally appeal to you, rather than being concerned about the declining quality in Japanese animation.
Feb 3, 2016 1:26 PM

Mar 2015
The anime coming out today, I don't like it either. But its not bad, its just not for me. Its good for the people who enjoy it. Anime is just entertainment, let people enjoy what they want even if its bad. If someone wants to enjoy the shittiest anime ever, let them.
Feb 3, 2016 1:28 PM

Mar 2015
iristella said:
Kuma said:

Kaguya hime is not what you call a commercial success inside or outside of Japan. http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Kaguyahime-no-monogatari/Japan#tab=box-office
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/28/why-is-studio-ghiblis-latest-anime-struggling-at-the-box-office/

Many say that it sealed the deal on Ghibli's fate.

Also even if the top of anime sales is still held by Major that doesn't make the sport genre a risk. It is a valid choise that studios keep rewarding by making more sports anime into their lineup. Though there is a vast difference between the approach Haikyuu had and the approach of Ping Pong the animation. The second being a series that it was much more than a sport anime. I m not trying to devaluate Haikyu as I find it an adorable series in its own genre. It just did not bring the industry a step further.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that HxH is not a success. For a manga that has literally no new chapters on a regular basis, its acclaim both in anime form and manga is astounding. Even without the anime people were constantly talking about it . Also since we are talking about length some of the most succesful studios are those with long series. So not that much of a risk unless we take into account that it held good production values and did not go the DB Super way.

As for Osomatsu san why do you keep mentioning sales? It is in fact a really refreshing anime that has a lot to offer and I am really glad it is doing well. But this has nothing to do with what I was saying. It is a good example of anime being remade in a way that has something to offer but it is still one series. On the other hand there is Sailormoon crystal. Remake of a groundbreaking series that at this point and with the adaptation it got has nothing to offer.

well, as for ghibli, we can see how they will shown upcoming anime or not. we don't know how their current financial state (or some one already has it)

sport it is doesn't bring something new to industries, but sports already done many times even before those risk is important. so they are still same, older or newer in risk. also sports can be fail as well (make me worry what will happened with Prince of stride sells).

long run has higher risk than short, also long run can't rely only in BD sales, they have also have high marchendise sales at least, or TV rangkings, and original source boost, which is HXH very risky about it.

as for osomatsu, that show retro can succesful and find new way to cater fans. it will not surpirsed more remeke will made furter. it's also current trend too.
Feb 3, 2016 1:33 PM

Aug 2015
Rametheus said:
I do not think so, unlike cinema and literature where there are some titles from the past held in very high regard, analyzed even today, and known by almost everyone whilst the average fan only read/watch the popular stuff that's made to sell, anime has no such thing. Everyone knows Shakespeare, but not everyone knows Evangelion.
Oh please! Perhaps the most fraudulent and ridiculous literary statement I have seen this week.

People "know" Shakespeare in the same way many anime fans "know" Evangelion. They know that Shakespeare was a man, a poet, a playwright. They know Romeo and Juliet, and they know Hamlet. Do they know King Lear? Richard III?

They have not memorized his sonnets, they do not know his history, his artistry, his craftsmanship, his career.

Who studies and analyzes Shakespeare? Young teenagers forced into it in high school? That is not study, not analyzing. Do you analyze Shakespeare? The only serious scholars of Shakespeare are doctorate students. This false equivalency is ridiculous.
Feb 3, 2016 2:05 PM

May 2014
phreeak said:
always fun to see that those bait threads still getting more than 2 pages because everyone needs to argue like his life depends on it.

btt: who fking cares.
Thing is, if everyone acted reasonably MAL would have literally nothing to talk about, and then I couldn't shitpost for the lulz. So let them be stupid plz.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Feb 3, 2016 2:10 PM

Sep 2015
The sheer amount of bias in the OP is overwhelming; never mind the fact that a lot of the points being made are quite simply wrong.

But if you dislike the majority of today's anime, then guess what you can do?
Just stop watching it. It's that simple.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 3, 2016 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
phreeak said:
always fun to see that those bait threads still getting more than 2 pages because everyone needs to argue like his life depends on it.

btt: who fking cares.

The thread may be bait, but the mindset OP exhibits is something that does actually exist in the community and I don't see it as a good thing.
Feb 3, 2016 2:28 PM

Sep 2015
Rametheus said:
Kuma said:

people change, industry change, that's how the world works. deal with it or leave.
And I have my right to complain about it if the changes are for the worse.
Amiluhur said:
The only good thing about old anime is that they're almost entirely hand drawn and look very fluid, regardless of the visual quality. Whereas nowadays it's all CG and cheap panning shots to pad out the episode, in spite of technological advancements.
Old anime also usually have better stories and characters.
sim_ray said:
The anime industry was going fine until Haruhi blew up and changed everything.
Agree, anime was fine until around 2005-2006, some early 2000's stuff like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ergo Proxy, and Texhnolyze were great. Anime has gotten soft.
Dasface said:

According to your profile you watched an absolute fuck ton of anime. Though with a mean score of under 4 it makes me wonder why?

Like idgaf bout this thread topic cuz' it's been beaten to death harder than the creativity in the anime industry. I just want to know why?

Why do you continue to watch anime (you claim 1200+ series) if you hate 95% of it?

Everything gets shittier over time, it's called reality.

As long as there is a medium where I can watch cute girls doing cute things and contemplate my existence by watching Makoto Shinkai films I'm happy.
I needed something to do while studying in university.
RozenAquaMarine said:
Just my 2 cents

I bet people from the 80's said the same shit that you're saying OP like "animu from the 80's sucks, 50's animus are the best" or be like "80's animu sucks, animu from the stone age are the best"

like seriously if you're actually confident in your taste in anime, you wouldn't feel the need to express that kind of bullcrap and just shove it on everyone's faces.
What does my "taste" have anything to do with this? Tell me quality writing isn't rapidly deteriorating in modern times.
FCT77 said:
Starting a post with a affirmation like that is not good, since its subjective. I also dont understand the point of saying that "originals were made", like, does that matter at all? What i want is something good i dont care the source material for it.
The "quality over quantity" is like... wrong? I mean, look at titles from the 80´ and first half of the 90´ they are 100+ episodes (Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball, Touch, LOTGH, etc) I dont think of ANY show that keep the quality constant for that number of episodes. Stop thinking that everything from the past was better, yeah, there were probably a lot of good series that were fantastic but there were some that were shit, the same that is happeing right now...
About the "ecchi, harem, rom-com" its sells, so its produced, I mean, anime is made to earn money you know... When it stops selling the product may change, dont be so pessimistc about the industry.
When I say quality over quantity, I mean there weren't as many series but are better on average compared to today's anime. Episode count has nothing to do with it. The shows you listed are very good shows that made full use of how much episodes they had.
BlackMageNo1 said:

Agreed. It is funny that some of us just constantly complained how the some of the modern anime seemed mediocre in their eyes when there are some of the old anime that felt mediocre as well. They just forget the bad ones and remembered the good ones (to be specific, any animated series that have Western influence... which is something we don't see often in modern anime, which most of them are oriented towards Japanese audience due to their culture being explored by those shows). It is quite funny too that despite while they do complain, they are still watching modern anime even if they will expect that most of them will be mediocre in the end. To be honest, one solution for that matter for those people: quit watching anime and find a new hobby, like making an anime out of your ideal storyline.

--

Also, I am wondering what do you mean by 'actual good novels' (for older anime), OP? Have you actually read those novels then to judge that they are good or better than those novels that have anime adaptations among modern anime shows?
Yes, I have, for instance, the World Masterpiece Theater anime adapts acclaimed novels from all over the world, such as Nobody's Boy and Les Miserables, and even better, they use the core concepts and basic storyline to create anime that are different from the originals and still end up really good. That's creativity.
amk_2397 said:
I will not deny that anime from the 90s to mid 2000s is a lot different from the majority of stuff there is now. Just watching an episode of Bebop can show that. BUT I do think it's starting to get somewhat better. Shows like Death Parade, Terror in Resonance, Junketsu no Maria, Gatchaman Crowds, Kekkai Sensen, Gakkou Gurashi, Rage of Bahamut, etc have all shown that creative force is getting better in both story telling
And not one show you mentioned are any good. Nice try though.
Then you missed the point of what I said entirely. While I do disagree with you that these shows are good, my point was most of these have shown more creativity than a lot of other anime. My comment had nothing to do with whether they were good or not.
Feb 3, 2016 4:47 PM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:
Kuma said:
wait, do you also nitpicking about mainstream shows, or only says some of mainstream shows as mainstream because they are being worst?
I'm saying mainstream shows are usually the bad or mediocre ones.
you saying this when all of your favorites is fucking mainstream (other than gunnm which i don't know it popularity)
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:10 AM
Feb 3, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
Rametheus said:
Kuma said:
you saying this when all of your favorites is fucking mainstream (other than gunnm which i don't know it popularity) are fucking retard or something?
Mainstream as in the average person on the streets know about it, things like Attack on Titan, DBZ, and Naruto. Stop being aggressive ffs.
above 300 K manga sales is already mainstream in my eyes because it mean it well known.
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:10 AM
Feb 3, 2016 5:21 PM

Jun 2012
If you think that you do not have a double standard about VJ and GC not being seriously while implying every cut of the mill anime nowadays is being taken seriously (as if anyone in the anime community thinks Elfen Lied and MN are legitimately praiseworthy and even if there are, they are the equivalent of the same edgelords that think gore was good in the 80s), then you are delusional.

At the time NGE, Utena, and GitS were at the peak of their popularity, shows like Samurai X, Dragon Ball, and Sailor Moon were even more popular, which are significantly less artistic and provide far less social commentary and are far less thematically complex. Yet again, you want to point out your favourites and ignore the facts because you selectively choose what you want to remember. I can sit here and point at anime that are getting praise for being well written that were aired within the last 5 years, but what is the point of that?
TyrelFeb 4, 2016 4:12 AM

Feb 3, 2016 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
Very nice post you made there.

I think the best anime come between 2006-2008 with stuff like Kaiji, NHK, and Nana.

Not all modern anime is bad, but I think most are compared to older titles, or at least from the ones I saw.
Feb 3, 2016 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
Rametheus said:
Moe style, or the generic style every studio falls back on today. Big sparkly eyes, dots for noses, pointy chins, etc.

Dude, can you atleast try to be a bit unbiased in your argument? I could literally name a lot of modern anime that doesn't follow the moe or generic style as you are claiming. You are generalizing modern anime on a whole.

Now I'm starting to think your list is a fake and you haven't watch half of what you have claim to watch on your list, if you are making those type of generalization on modern anime.
keragammingFeb 3, 2016 5:33 PM
Feb 3, 2016 5:35 PM

Sep 2014
I like many anime from this century, but I have to admit anime is more generic and shit than never nowadays...

There are still some decent shit every year...

Just stay away from VN/LN adaptations... this is where shit impregnates
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 3, 2016 5:41 PM

Jul 2010
Anime was at its height between the years of 1980 and 2000, the greatest anime were conceived during this period.
-There were a greater variety of anime
-The best directors were allowed much more creative freedom
-Originals were being made
-Actual good novels are adapted
-Anime made during this time utilizes deep and relevant themes
-Had its really bad stuff like the gore OVAs, but the renowned titles are deserving
-Violence and sex are treated in a mature way to tell a good story
-Lots of variety in art styles
-Male characters look and act like males, and uphold male values
-Shows actually required the input of your thinking
-Quality over Quantity

However, after anime went digital in the 21st century, creativity along with quality went down the drain.
-Adapts generic light novels and mangas
-Instead of being about quality, anime is made to pander through wish fulfillment
-The influx of harems, ecchi, high school anime, and edgy shounen that tries to be smart
-Everything is now done in moe style
-Male characters are now feminine, and aimed at a market that wants homosexuality, and the "trap" stuff where males look and act like females
-Characters are usually the same tropes with different color pallettes as difference
-There's almost no variety in art style, but visuals are used to cover up bad-writing
-Slice of lifes about about are started being made
-Dumbed down shows for cheap entertainment
-Quantity over Quality

I have to sound like one of those crotchety old people who say old stuff is better, but in regards to anime...I kinda agree with this. Now, to be fair, there are a lot of good modern anime that do get churned out every now and then. I'm currently obsessed with Snow White With The Red Hair and Yona of the Dawn, and some of the new Precure anime have been really good. Quality anime are still there, just not as often as it should be.
Feb 3, 2016 5:55 PM

Aug 2015
Rametheus said:
Yes, I have, for instance, the World Masterpiece Theater anime adapts acclaimed novels from all over the world, such as Nobody's Boy and Les Miserables, and even better, they use the core concepts and basic storyline to create anime that are different from the originals and still end up really good. That's creativity.

Oh, I forgot those series (even if they are on my anime list). My mindset is like 'I'm talking about Japanese novels/light novels'. Although...

*Les Miserables - Winter 2007 anime. Was this one not considered modern anime? Out of the four anime adaptations for the said novel, this is the one that was part of WMT shows.
*Nobody's Boy - Fall 1977 anime, though it is not one of WMT shows. It is the female MC one that is part of WMT (Nobody's Girl).

I do like all of the WMT shows (and Nobody's Boy) that I have watched though, and I will be going to watched the remaining ones in the future.

--

"That's creativity."

Now that I think about it, what do you mean by that term "creativity" for you?

Feb 3, 2016 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
Sidartha1 said:
I like many anime from this century, but I have to admit anime is more generic and shit than never nowadays...

You're only saying that because you werent there for those old anime seasons. Every season back then had around 1 show worth picking up.
1.http://anichart.net/archive/spring-96

What show would you have picked up that spring of 96. SPRING btw. The season when anime are usually good.

Ok all this light novel hate is stupid, I bet you don't even watch them to say they're stupid. Rokujouma No Shinryakusha is funny. Spice and Wolf is a great romance and economic show. Durarara has a very interesting cast. Baccano too. No Game No Life has an interesting universe and interesting characters that occupy it. Problem Children Come from another world is extremely fun and just plain outrageous. Index and Railgun are fantastic.

Your hate is unwarrented.

Firechick12012 said:

I have to sound like one of those crotchety old people who say old stuff is better, but in regards to anime...I kinda agree with this. Now, to be fair, there are a lot of good modern anime that do get churned out every now and then. I'm currently obsessed with Snow White With The Red Hair and Yona of the Dawn, and some of the new Precure anime have been really good. Quality anime are still there, just not as often as it should be.

Same to you. How many anime would you have picked up?

http://anichart.net/archive/spring-97

Keep in mind this is fucking spring.

You guys aren't even looking at old anime objectively. You're just reveling in good "old" shows that you picked. Of course it'll look better if you only watch good shows from back then.

This is spring 2003. Things are getting more fun.

http://anichart.net/archive/spring-03

And then comes spring of 2011.

http://anichart.net/archive/spring-11

With hidden gems like C the possibility of soul and money control.

What you suffer from is a severe case of tunnel vision.

At least you realize you sound like a crotchety old person. Step 1 is to admit it.
Feb 3, 2016 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
Rametheus said:
TitanAnteus said:

Anime didn't expand on its own by doing nothing. Mass appeal brought in these new fans. Don't forget that.
And mass appeal is killing the artistic and creative side while expanding the economical side..

That shit's what CREATED anime in the first place. Astro Boy was mass appeal, and let me remind you, Astro Boy was also MOE.

It's not killing anime.

Just because anime that don't cater to your stupidly specific tastes aren't being made anymore doesn't mean anime's dying or that it's getting less creative.

Creative shit comes out of the woodworks artistically and story-wise. An anime about the demon world trying to invade the human world using the power of money was not made untill 2011.

An anime that uses the ideas of the internet time traveler on 4chan as a baseline for reality didn't exist until 2011.

The anime about a single 30 something year old being forced to raise a very young girl didn't exist yet. All of those shows were spawned by modern anime.

I personally don't care that you're butthurt that anime doesn't cater to you. Old dogs are set in their ways after all.

MODS: Can we just ban threads like this now. This shit is getting annoying.
TitanAnteusFeb 3, 2016 8:08 PM
Feb 3, 2016 8:06 PM

Aug 2008
In the next 10-20 years, there will be people saying anime that time is bad and not as good as classic like SAO.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 3, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2014
Lol, NGNL, intersting... lol...

All the characters are stereotypes and fetishes...

a loli sexualized little sister who has no sense of individuality or own will, girl with cat ears being cute, gooofy clumsy big boobed girl, stupid neeet mc, whos unsocial and secluded life had no realistic effect on his personality and resolves everything without breaking a sweat, what is interesting about these characters????.... really?...

I have watched dozens of light novel adaptations in my teens, and 98% are really shitty....
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 3, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
Sidartha1 said:
Lol, NGNL, intersting... lol...

All the characters are stereotypes and fetishes...

a loli sexualized little sister who has no sense of individuality or own will, girl with cat ears being cute, gooofy clumsy big boobed girl, stupid neeet mc, whos unsocial and secluded life had no realistic effect on his personality and resolves everything without breaking a sweat, what is interesting about these characters????.... really?...

I have watched dozens of light novel adaptations in my teens, and 98% are really shitty....

Stereotypes and fetishes.

A selfish god who summons you to his/her world because he/she wants a rematch. I've seen that SOOOOOOO many times before.

A ridiculous NEET who can't be more than 2 feet away from his sister or he breaks down and his sister. SOOOOOOOOO many anime do that. Both of them socially competent for the most part (when they're around each other) and extremely intelligent. I mean, that's like every anime isn't it.

The artstyle is also common in like 90% of anime. You can't walk two steps without getting art like that.

Oh that fantasy is the most common of the common too. A universe where everything is settled through games because a playful god changed the underlying rules of the universe. People can't solve their problems using violence and even so humanity survived. I mean. Berserk did it first, no lie. That's clearly been done a million times.

Oh wait.

You're complaining about the ecchi in the show? You saw a little bit of nudity got triggered and went on a hate rampage towards the show?

Why were you even watching it in the first place? Didn't the cover and tags scream, "We're going to have fun with this show!"

Don't judge anime outside of your comfort zone. You just look like a bigoted idiot. No Game No Life is not a perfect show, but it is by no means terrible or even average. Also you can't say shit to anything else I listed.

AND.

By your logic you should stay away from anime originals like Eureka 7 and Evangelion. Literally 98% of anime originals end up more like Guilty Crown and Wizzard Barrista Benmashi Cecil. Dont novel adaptations have a better track record then anime originals anyway. Shit like Haruhi, Full Metal Panic, and Euphonium are really popular. Anime originals that get popular are the rarer ones. Stuff like Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, and Kekkai Sensen rarely happen.

Also wait. You like Yotsuba, how is clumsy, and ditzy a bad thing for you. The hypocrisy.
TitanAnteusFeb 3, 2016 8:33 PM
Feb 3, 2016 8:23 PM

Jun 2012
TitanAnteus said:
Sidartha1 said:

You're only saying that because you werent there for those old anime seasons. Every season back then had around 1 show worth picking up.

What show would you have picked up that spring of 96. SPRING btw. The season when anime are usually good.
I mean, Escaflowne is worth the watch. Never even heard of any of the other ones except for Slayers Next.

Feb 3, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2013
Holybaptiser said:
TitanAnteus said:

I mean, Escaflowne is worth the watch. Never even heard of any of the other ones except for Slayers Next.

What I'm saying is that you can't say. "Old anime are more creative," and then ignore the fact that anime studios tried to adapt Cinderella, and Street Fighter because they couldn't come up with ideas or were shelling out.

A lot more anime are made nowadays. The competition is tougher nowadays. Anime in general has gotten better because of it. The fans aren't generally all that bad either. Good shows tend to get popular, ala TTGL and this season's Gundam IBO.
Feb 3, 2016 8:38 PM

Jun 2012
TitanAnteus said:
Holybaptiser said:

What I'm saying is that you can't say. "Old anime are more creative," and then ignore the fact that anime studios tried to adapt Cinderella, and Street Fighter because they couldn't come up with ideas or were shelling out.

A lot more anime are made nowadays. The competition is tougher nowadays. Anime in general has gotten better because of it. The fans aren't generally all that bad either. Good shows tend to get popular, ala TTGL and this season's Gundam IBO.
You do not need to tell me something I already know. I was inadvertently backing up your case since all but 2 shows out of that season were no name shows.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

118 by Technopunk »»
4 minutes ago

» If you lived in the world of your favorite series, would you be happier or not?

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

15 by ColourWheel »»
19 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

717 by jeffu »»
26 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 26

33 by FZREMAKE »»
37 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - Sep 26

20 by luffysenchou »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.