Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2008 9:43 PM

Feb 2007
Well I am definitely looking for shoujo, though non-shoujo is okay too. (More into the style than anything).

Yes, it's all Terra e...'s fault. I believe I have seen absolutely no 70's anime, so this must be easy.

edit: Subs are a must :D
May 24, 2008 9:53 PM
Jun 2007
Yo! I'm proud of myself for thinking of this so quickly.

ROSE OF VERSAILLES. Oh yea! It's shoujo, aired from 79-80.

Live-eviL has the complete 1-40 series up, found the subs in a google search on my first try.

Recommending something has never been so easy for me, so I'm incredibly proud of myself.

May 24, 2008 10:03 PM

Mar 2007
Ok, here goes. I like 70's anime, in particular shoujo stuff, but not a whole lot of it has been subbed. I am hoping that the release of these shows on dvd will encourage some subbers to take this stuff on :D

There is THE classic 70's shoujo, Rose of Versailles:

The 70's also featured a lot of shoujo sports series, which are similar to sports anime for guys (practice hard, get better, etc)

Ace wo Nerae is a good one. Just a couple of years ago they made a pretty good live action tv drama of it.

And Attack No. 1

There are a lot of cute World Masterpiece Theater series made during this time (Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, Polyanna, etc) but they haven't been subbed ;_;

THIS is the show I REALLY want to get my hands on. I can't find episodes anywhere ;_; It's like Rose of Versailles mixed with Zorro :D

There are a lot of messed up yet interesting old magical g irl shows from the 70's also (that are very different from what magical girl shows have become today)
May 24, 2008 10:04 PM

Feb 2007
AnimusNathan said:
Yo! I'm proud of myself for thinking of this so quickly.

ROSE OF VERSAILLES. Oh yea! It's shoujo, aired from 79-80.

Live-eviL has the complete 1-40 series up, found the subs in a google search on my first try.

Recommending something has never been so easy for me, so I'm incredibly proud of myself.

ahha Emi recommended that to me on IRC as well :D

Though Glad to hear of the subs. Live-Evil is good, too bad they are slooww sometimes :<

At least I know there is good subs that will come out once.. in a while... every year.. xD
May 25, 2008 6:10 AM
Nov 2007
Ashita no Joe, THE classic sports anime. Also series by Leiji Matsumoto, like Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999 and Space Battleship Yamato.
May 25, 2008 9:13 AM

Jul 2007
MagicalEmi said:

There are a lot of cute World Masterpiece Theater series made during this time (Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, Polyanna, etc) but they haven't been subbed ;_;

Incidentally, here's what I've been able to find subbed of 70s WMT series:

Alps no Shoujo Heidi 1-4
Haha wo Tazunete Sanzen Ri 1-12
Perrine Monogatari 1-19
Akage no Anne 1-50 (the full series!)

Gogogo~!

oh, these little earthquakes
May 25, 2008 2:54 PM

Dec 2007
Oh man, I loved Rose of Versailles. I'd like to watch something in a similar vein, but I have a feeling RoV is the cream of the crop, and probably won't find any quite as good.

For some reason, the 70's style shoujo art really appeals to me, while the newer stuff kinda puts me off.
May 25, 2008 3:20 PM

Mar 2007
I feel I should also mention the Glass Mask (Glass no Kamen) anime. The original TV anime was made in the early 80's, but it is based on a manga that began in the 70's (and is STILL running). Therefore, the character design and feel of the story is still very 70's. It is about a girl who wants to become an actress, but it is structured very much like a sports anime, with acting as the sport. The new, inexperienced heroine with loads of undiscovered talent strives to improve, faces challenges and rivals, has an unrelenting "coach" who can see her potential, etc. There is, OF COURSE, the rich girl with the curly hair, the cute young guy, and the handsome older man who loves her *cough*PEDO!*cough*

Here is the opening to the 1984 series. I wonder if they were influenced by Flashdance, lol. They make it look like a dancing series... this op is very WTF and doesn't really reflect the show at all...

The anime was remade in 2005. The character designs were slightly updated, yet still retain a bit of their 70's look. This op does a better job of depicting the series and characters...
May 26, 2008 3:39 PM

Feb 2007
Oh thanks emi :D

more to add to my ptw list.

I need more hd space. :<
May 26, 2008 4:06 PM

Feb 2008
Magical Angel Creamy Mami, such an old but classic anime. I'm not sure if it's from the 70's though.
May 26, 2008 4:36 PM

Apr 2007
One show from the 70s I'd throw in with the ones already mentioned is Future Boy Conan. It's really well done, but what would you expect from a show with Miyazaki doing a lot of the storyboarding and directing. In a lot of ways, it really is a predecessor to Laputa. Recommended, although not shoujo.

Interestingly enough, in the story's timeline, the first episode begins in July 2008. The future isn't too far away.
May 26, 2008 5:25 PM

Feb 2007
Iri said:

Interestingly enough, in the story's timeline, the first episode begins in July 2008. The future isn't too far away.

TOMORROW IS THE FUTURE. What do we do now?

and yes, I said non shoujo was fine too. I was kinda sad at the lack of non shoujo recommendations as well :P

Thanks Camcammii and Iri.
May 26, 2008 5:31 PM

Aug 2007
selective_yellow said:

Yes, it's all Terra e...'s fault.

i wanted to buy the manga but it's over $10. DD:
Jun 1, 2008 3:13 AM

Feb 2008
The Rose of Versailles is the first thing that came to my mind, it's definitely the best of 70's anime. Another one is Oniisama E, based on a manga by the same mangaka as ROV. However, it's a very sad story and includes shoujo-ai motives, so don't watch it if you don't like such things.
Jun 1, 2008 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
We can't forget Uchuu Senkan Yamato.
Jun 1, 2008 12:16 PM

Feb 2008
For a non-shoujo rec., I *have* to say the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Since you're requesting subs only, go with the movie trilogy version. The TV series is dub only at this point, though there is a group out there fansubbing it (I think they've been doing it for a couple of years and only have 3 episodes out).
Jun 1, 2008 1:11 PM
Jun 2006
sixty deuce fansubs have 39/43 eps subbed of the original MS gundam series btw :>

Jun 2, 2008 2:39 PM

Feb 2008
izikiel said:
sixty deuce fansubs have 39/43 eps subbed of the original MS gundam series btw :>

Really? O.o That's totally news to me. I might have to check this out.

More topics from this board

» Need help watching 22,500 episodes

Technotic - 3 hours ago

5 by H_Castaigne »»
1 hour ago

» Recommend Comedy Anime

Huskyhulk - Yesterday

12 by ST63LTH »»
3 hours ago

» Hentai with realistic orgasms/realistic sex?

isseixkoneko - Yesterday

3 by ZAIRETHEGUY »»
4 hours ago

» Anime with main Character(s) constantly on the run / evading capture.

luckyrune - Jun 9

8 by SleepingBear »»
10 hours ago

» Any good anime that are like Grimgar ?

Ventus_S - Jun 9

15 by Ventus_S »»
Yesterday, 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.