I've been a fan of the Japanese animation since childhood without knowing there is such a term as "anime" or such a thing as "manga". Somewhere around 2000 I've got an internet access which changed my life significantly. For many years I couldn't imagine even one day without watching at least one episode of anime. These days I only watch anime occasionally, and most of the times I'm marathoning an entire series in one go.
My favourite genre... I guess it's slice-of-life and smart comedy. What attracts me most is a strong female cast (where strength may be physical or mental), so generally it can be anything while there are many good female characters. Also I like well-maintained shoujo-ai.
I tend to avoid yaoi, classical harems, shounen romance and bloody action. However, there are some exceptions.
My anime list is not complete yet, it actually contains more than 200 titles. My manga list is not complete as well, even though I'm not that much into manga as I'm into anime.
MY FAVOURITE ANIME
1. Aria (all the seasons and OVA) - the best series I've ever seen, makes you relax.
2. Ah! My Goddess! - because I love the manga and it's a chance to see my all-time-favourite-manga-characters animated.
3. Sakura Taisen - OVA 2 is especially cool.
4. Read or Die (OVA mostly) - Ms Deep is my Hero.
5. My Otome - Meowterialize!!!
6. Mai-HiME - just great, everyone must see it.
7. Tsubasa Chronicles - I love CLAMP's stories, and this one is very well animated
8. El Cazador de la Bruja - it's quite plain story-wise, but the characters are just fantastic! Taco-taco-tacos...
9. Earthian - quite old shounen-ai OVAs which I love dearly for one (absolutely straight) side character.
10. Mahou Tsukai Tai - a nice magical story with Gara Takashima (Hild's seiyuu) as mother of one of the main characters.
11. Claymore - totally not in my style, but just great.
12. Hataraki Man - a very realistic story about adult people living in Japan.