Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 9:18 AM

Feb 2024
Which anime names do you think are bad or weird? How would you change them?
Jul 10, 9:19 AM

Sep 2016
Jul 10, 9:26 AM

Feb 2024
@Zarutaku

I asked about anime names, not character names, learn the difference before you think you are posting something funny or edgy for entertainment.
Jul 10, 9:28 AM

Sep 2016
JoeChip said:
I asked about anime names, not character names
My bad, I misread.

JoeChip said:
learn the difference before you think you are posting something funny or edgy for entertainment
Saying that was 10 times more edgy.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 10, 9:33 AM

Oct 2018
Most isekai anime names are bad

That time I killed myself and respawned as a hot elf's panties and somehow I can control the power of the sun
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jul 10, 9:40 AM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4535/Candy_Boy

Weird title for a yuri show because it sounds like a yaoi or femboy show, I would change it to Candy Girl.
Jul 10, 9:44 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Most isekai anime names are bad

That time I killed myself and respawned as a hot elf's panties and somehow I can control the power of the sun
@Phosphophyllita Yeah, those seem to have the worse names in terms of length and titles. I mean it so bad I can sit here and write some fake and real ones and honestly it be hard to work out which were real and which were fake. They all are indistinct, formulaic and unoriginal.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Jul 10, 9:49 AM

Apr 2020
i love blade of the immortal but i think it could have a better name
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 9:52 AM

Jan 2023
Most new ISEKAI genre anime names are awful. You get bored just reading the name of the anime.

"Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai" is weird.
Jul 10, 9:54 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to juanlqr
Most new ISEKAI genre anime names are awful. You get bored just reading the name of the anime.

"Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai" is weird.
@juanlqr

It would make more sense if you had written the English name though .
Jul 10, 9:57 AM

Jul 2023
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37347/Dungeon_ni_Deai_wo_Motomeru_no_wa_Machigatteiru_Darou_ka_II?q=is%20it%20wrong%20to%20pic&cat=anime
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
series is good but the name is weird asf.
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 10, 9:59 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to JoeChip
@juanlqr

It would make more sense if you had written the English name though .
@JoeChip

I don't know how they translated it into English. I know it in Spanish (Quiero comerme tu páncreas), and I put the series in Japanese so you know what it is.
Jul 10, 10:01 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I think this for most long-ass light novel titles.

Shingeki no Kyojin was a title I had some literal issues with, basing from my little understanding of Japanese but later in the show it did make sense why it was titled that way

┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ཐི♡ཋྀ «•«━━━━┙
Jul 10, 10:04 AM

Jul 2013
I don't pay attention to anime names, because they never actually mattered.
Jul 10, 10:14 AM

Aug 2019
Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou

Loop 7-kaime no Akuyaku Reijou wa, Moto Tekikoku de Jiyuu Kimama na Hanayome Seikatsu wo Mankitsu suru

Hazurewaku no "Joutai Ijou Skill" de Saikyou ni Natta Ore ga Subete wo Juurin suru made

Ore wa Subete wo "Parry" suru: Gyaku Kanchigai no Sekai Saikyou wa Boukensha ni Naritai

is this a title or the synopses?

Jul 10, 10:20 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4535/Candy_Boy

Weird title for a yuri show because it sounds like a yaoi or femboy show, I would change it to Candy Girl.
@Zarutaku Have you watch this anime? if yes , Is he good?
Jul 10, 10:34 AM

Jul 2023
oh, i missed a another one-
can anyone plz explain why its name is Golden Boy? I watched this show- entertaining but always wondered how golden this boy is!!! lol
https://myanimelist.net/anime/268/Golden_Boy

Jul 10, 10:44 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Zakatsuki_
@Zarutaku Have you watch this anime? if yes , Is he good?
@Zakatsuki_ Yes I watched it, I think it's kind of trite and lacks spice, but they are twin sisters who cuddle in deep platonic love, so I liked it anyway.
Jul 10, 10:47 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to nirererin
oh, i missed a another one-
can anyone plz explain why its name is Golden Boy? I watched this show- entertaining but always wondered how golden this boy is!!! lol
https://myanimelist.net/anime/268/Golden_Boy
@nirererin https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/golden_boy
Jul 10, 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
Is "DesuMaiden" a good anime name? I would like to know. Please tell me.
Jul 10, 10:53 AM

Jul 2023
@Zarutaku ohh, i see. Bill Gates is the definition of GOLDEN BOY, lmao

Jul 10, 11:08 AM

Jan 2024
Weakest tamer starts a journey to pickup trash or something..
A name like this suggests a trash show.

Where the anime is so so good and wholesome. Title is not inaccurate but if it has a good creative title the show would had more popularity which it deserved.
Jul 10, 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
Not anime per se, more a complain about manhwa & donghua. I'm not a huge fan of the Chinese and Korean names having 3 names. Sung Yi Woon, Yo Mon Sung, you catch my drift. I can read 100+ chapters and still not be able to remember their names. At least Japan in manga can call someone Ryu Takahashi and then just keep using the single name Ryu over and over again. It's easy to remember.

It doesn't really help when the MC in manhwa/donghua is called Jin Mo Woon and his closest friend is called Woo Sin Mung. An expert would see 2 different names, I just see Woo 2 times, it's confusing to say the least.

In the end it really doesn't matter since I'm not into politics or stuff that has a ton of dialogue and intrigue. Usually it's more like there's the bad guy, let's go F him up.

Regarding naming anime, yeah it's F horrible to use full sentences to use as a title.

Kyuukyoku Shinka shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusoge Dattara -> FULL DIVE would be good enough

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat -> Reincarnated Assassin would be easy to remember

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability -> The 7th Prince, real easy, but no let's make it complicated, hard to mention for everybody.

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord -> My Demon Daughter, simple as that. If there's already another 1 with that title, My Orphan Demon Daughter or My Hornless Daughter.

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers -> Fenrys, my Loving Wolf

Whenever I wanna mention these, I gotta dive into my list and search for them -_-' There are more, but you catch my drift.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
Jul 11, 8:29 AM

Feb 2024
I think Jobless Reincarnation is a stupid name, a better name could be A NEET's Second Life or A NEET's Second Try in Another World.
Jul 12, 8:03 AM

Jun 2024
Long anime names based on light novels.

Just shorten or abbreviate it or something.
Jul 12, 10:04 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to JustMaya
Long anime names based on light novels.

Just shorten or abbreviate it or something.
@JustMaya

They make the names long on purpose though. Besides, the abbreviated versions of long names are used commonly.
Jul 12, 1:51 PM

Jun 2024
Reply to JoeChip
@JustMaya

They make the names long on purpose though. Besides, the abbreviated versions of long names are used commonly.
@JoeChip Yeah, I know, but it's still weird for me. If I were a creator, I'd use a shorter name rather than a long ass sentence for a name. That's how I'd change it.
Jul 12, 2:29 PM

May 2020
My pet peeve is localized names that sound generic as all hell.

Exhibit a. "Fire force" : What the hell is this? You couldn't make it more generic if you tried. Maybe you could call it "humans that deal with fire" instead lol. The original title is "EnEn no shouboutai", roughly speaking its something like "fire force of fierce flames" (I don't know how else to translate en, from my understanding it means something like intense flame, so EnEn must be off the charts intense) which is certainly close but it has a lot more character.

Exhibit b. "Erased": Are we just replacing the title with random words now? If I squint I can sort of understand why erased fits the story but it's just a boring ass name. The original title "Boku dake ga inai machi" (The town in which only I do not exist) has infinitely more character and is much more memorable. It is even referenced in series where at one point kayo says something like "Now this will be a town where only I do not exist", referencing her moving out, which also brings to our attention that the title was not supposed to be about how Kayo was "erased" or whatever, it has a double meaning where in the original timeline she didn't exist and then in the new timeline is far away from her friends but she remembers them from far away. Anyway, F-tier localized title, whoever came up with that one should "Erase" their career and start from scratch again.

Exhibit c. "Star blazers": It's not as generic as fire force but still pretty bad, it says almost nothing about the series, you could rename any space faring adventure "star blazers" and call it a day if you really wanted to. The original title is "Uchuu senkan Yamato 2199" (Space battleship Yamato 2199) which admittedly also does not tell us much, but it does at the very least reference the namesake of the spaceship that the show is about. I feel like this is the most basic form of title, just use the name of a character or thing from the series as the title, it's not exactly worthy of praise but its simple and it works, the localized title could not even accomplish this.

So here's the conclusion. Just use the original title. Translate it if need be but use the same words and convey the same meaning. If its a word play or pun or whatever that doesn't work in English by all means that is the time to get creative, but you have to get CREATIVE, none of this "pick a word from the dictionary" localization.

More topics from this board

» Should waifu be stopped?

SgtBateMan - Aug 2

16 by Vendicator »»
5 minutes ago

» Did You Play Any Anime Games?Any Recommendation.

Ahmad_Sahil_ - 5 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime awoken something in you or made you fascinated with a particular genre? ( 1 2 )

Reshiram_IX - May 16

58 by Pages_Pages »»
48 minutes ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores ( 1 2 3 )

Kimo45 - Jun 25

124 by Pages_Pages »»
54 minutes ago

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Skylar-whoo - Aug 2

271 by remetallized »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.