Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?
May 24, 4:53 AM

Feb 2011
I think it can work from the perspective of a single human (whatever makes you happy...), but on a larger scale it's not feasible.
May 24, 5:06 AM

Jan 2009
no since if you want peace then prepare for war
May 24, 5:17 AM

Jul 2015
"True Warrior" is a just a one side of a radical spectrum. It works in the context of the story, but in real life, you will encounter people who absolutely cannot be reasoned with and will want you dead for who and what you are, like ideological extremists or terrorists.

May 24, 5:42 AM
Jun 2021
I completely agree with you. While Thorfinn's worldview may provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment for him as an individual, it's indeed problematic and unlikely to work on a larger scale. His reliance on violence and revenge as a means to achieve justice is unsustainable and often leads to more harm and suffering.

On a personal level, however, it's possible to understand why Thorfinn might find solace in his singular focus. After all, his experiences have been shaped by tragedy and loss, and his worldview is a way for him to cope with the trauma he's endured. In this sense, his beliefs can be seen as a form of personal therapy or catharsis.

But as you said, this perspective is not feasible on a larger scale. It's not a sustainable or realistic way to address the complexities of human conflict and injustice. In reality, true change and progress often require empathy, understanding, and cooperation among individuals with different perspectives and values.

It's interesting to consider how Vinland Saga explores these themes through Thorfinn's character, highlighting the tension between individual desires and the need for collective action. Ultimately, the show encourages viewers to think critically about the complexities of human nature and the importance of finding a balance between personal fulfillment and the greater good
May 24, 5:54 AM
Feb 2021
Human nature wont allow his worldview to be viable
May 24, 5:54 AM
Apr 2024
i think its a pacifist utopia
May 24, 6:19 AM
Mar 2023
It’s about the number of the people who wants to understand his worldview.
May 24, 6:40 AM

May 2021
To some extent but the main point is cooperation and the main hurdle is people's views and greed. If we were able to make everyone unite towards a happy future then I think it's viable
May 24, 8:18 AM
May 2022
Not really, unfortunately.
May 24, 8:26 AM
Jul 2023
No but he’s still learning
He needs to keep growing his understanding to become a better person. This is at least better than what he was like in season 1
May 24, 8:32 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I don't think so,

Total pacifism without violence at all would lead you into being taken advantage of by bad people.

Some people cannot be reasoned with.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 24, 8:37 AM

Jun 2011
No, hence I am excited for potentially season 3 and 4 to address the issue. Even Thors had to fight to protect his people, he stopped killing, but he still fought. We've seen numerous situations where Thorfinn's friends were getting harmed which forced Thorfinn to fight, what if they pushed it to the limit, and one of his people actually got killed because Thorfinn didn't act? I hope to see that kind of conflicts in season 3 or 4.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 24, 8:48 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to ToG25thBaam
No, hence I am excited for potentially season 3 and 4 to address the issue. Even Thors had to fight to protect his people, he stopped killing, but he still fought. We've seen numerous situations where Thorfinn's friends were getting harmed which forced Thorfinn to fight, what if they pushed it to the limit, and one of his people actually got killed because Thorfinn didn't act? I hope to see that kind of conflicts in season 3 or 4.
@ToG25thBaam

Exactly my thoughts, this (or at least a hint that something like this will happen) must be the most logical conclusion of the story, otherwise it would feel incomplete and more like pacifist propaganda.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 9:03 AM
May 2021
Yes, I think it's viable.

There's always going to be people that don't wish well, but that doesn't mean that you have to respond in kind. You can move on; avoid those people and focus on your community.

Also, being a pacifist doesn't equal being gullible. Thors was the embodiment of having no enemies, yet he still defended his people.
May 24, 9:13 AM
Apr 2022
no his views are really stupid 😤
May 24, 9:32 AM
Mar 2023
Rinrinka said:
I don't think so,

Total pacifism without violence at all would lead you into being taken advantage of by bad people.

It’s not total pacifism. Thorfinn says that there are moments violence is inevitable. It’s about using the minimum violence and spreading the peace.
May 24, 10:12 AM
Oct 2019
This is literally what we call a UTOPIA.
No it's not possible, there are 8 billion of us in an era where territorial, religious and ethical wars are becoming usual again.
People are all extremists to one side or the other.
So unfortunately, as much as I would love to, no it's not possible, but Thorfinn GOAT.
May 24, 2:11 PM

Jan 2021
as you can see by my faves and ranking i love Vinland saga and thorfinn, but genuinely who in their right mind would agree with such ideals.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
May 24, 2:14 PM

Apr 2020
Yeah. For you personally. For one human beeing.
I'd even say: If everyone did what he did the world would be a better place.

But that's just not the human nature. There will always be conflict, greed and violence.
You could call it naive or idealistic. But I think it's a good world-view, even when it's not realistic.
May 24, 2:36 PM
Aug 2022
Yes. His beliefs are just Christianity's repackaged into an anime format.
May 24, 4:36 PM
Nov 2020
Thorfinn shows that it takes sacrifices (you might risk your life even) to live like this because people will take advantage of you.
But as long as you accept that, it’s not impossible.
Surely, there are more people than we think who‘d rather die than cause pain and death and even more people in history who already lived their lives with an Ideology like Thorfinn‘s.
May 24, 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Throfinn's pacifism in portrayed in a way that one could see it as quite naive, due to its extreme pacifist principles. But if we put this aspect of that anime aside, it's surely a beautiful concept. It'd be great if the world worked in that way. But it doesn't, as for said idea has as one huge con - it's against human nature.

Humans like to compete with each other and violence has always been present in the history of the humankind, varying in intensity and form. Those who choose to live by an utopian idea of total pacifism will end up by being taken advantage of by people not sharing their beliefs, or simply limit their own "perfect world" to their small secluded community consisting of fellow pacifists living together.

But still, it's worth commending such approach. Peace over violence. To discuss and try to find a peaceful solution, instead of sticking to solve things with violence. It's a beautiful idea, really.
AdnashMay 24, 5:19 PM
May 24, 8:38 PM
Aug 2019
It’s not feasible for a leader.

Leaders must be results-oriented, and the path of nonviolence is impossible to uphold in some scenarios if you want to protect the people under you.

But, if you are an idealist that simply wants to convince others they should live the same way, it’s perfectly viable. There are limits to how much you can achieve with that attitude though. And I think the first four episodes of Vinland Saga captures that perfectly.
May 24, 8:43 PM
Oct 2020
Garyyyy1 said:
Rinrinka said:
I don't think so,

It’s not total pacifism. Thorfinn says that there are moments violence is inevitable. It’s about using the minimum violence and spreading the peace.

@garyyy1 fr like there's a literal line in manga where he says "violence should be the last resort".
May 25, 1:43 AM
Oct 2022
ExternalWorld said:
I completely agree with you. While Thorfinn's worldview may provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment for him as an individual, it's indeed problematic and unlikely to work on a larger scale. His reliance on violence and revenge as a means to achieve justice is unsustainable and often leads to more harm and suffering.

On a personal level, however, it's possible to understand why Thorfinn might find solace in his singular focus. After all, his experiences have been shaped by tragedy and loss, and his worldview is a way for him to cope with the trauma he's endured. In this sense, his beliefs can be seen as a form of personal therapy or catharsis.

But as you said, this perspective is not feasible on a larger scale. It's not a sustainable or realistic way to address the complexities of human conflict and injustice. In reality, true change and progress often require empathy, understanding, and cooperation among individuals with different perspectives and values.

It's interesting to consider how Vinland Saga explores these themes through Thorfinn's character, highlighting the tension between individual desires and the need for collective action. Ultimately, the show encourages viewers to think critically about the complexities of human nature and the importance of finding a balance between personal fulfillment and the greater good

this guy is def an ai talking
May 25, 7:40 PM
Mar 2021
amazing how the polls are split
May 25, 7:52 PM

Mar 2020
No since it would require everyone to let go of their personal interests related to power and to get that power to enforce that view of the world you would need to not follow it in the first place.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!
May 27, 4:54 AM
Nov 2019
no but its fun to watch

in reality not fighting is equal to giving up the rights of yourself and your people. in the real world not everyone has the means to travel and start a new life when faced with war. if thorofinn was to tell his nation to not fight and simply run. then some of them will succeed but many of them will be left behind.
Jun 10, 1:24 AM
Apr 2015
Nope, Humans are subject the natural law just like other animals. Conflict is inevitable and has been the way of natural law since the first organisms started swimming around.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

375 by phantom346 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2023

167 by Limpan31 »»
Sep 15, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

384 by Limpan31 »»
Sep 15, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2023

305 by TerryDiams75 »»
Sep 14, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2023

509 by Limpan31 »»
Sep 13, 12:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.