Forum Settings
Forums

Why did Cardcaptor Sakura failed in the US while Sailor Moon succeeded?

New
May 15, 6:25 PM
Apr 2022
Cardcaptor Sakura when was dubbed by Nelvana in 2000 flopped in the US on Toonami, yet the old dub of Sailor Moon became a hit in the 90s when it came on Toonami. I want to find out what made Sailor Moon succeed in the US back in the 90s while the Cardcaptor Sakura dub flop in the US in 2000.
May 15, 6:26 PM

Jul 2013
Good question. I would also wanna know the answer to the OP's question tbh...
May 16, 2:16 AM

Sep 2016
Perhaps because Sailor Moon characters look more mature which made them better role models.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 16, 2:19 AM

Dec 2014
anime to the US was more foreign and exotic in the 90s and by the time cardcaptor sakura hit the magical girl trend had run its course

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
May 16, 2:52 AM

Mar 2008
Word for word same as on Reddit. Lol
https://old.reddit.com/r/cardcaptorsakura/comments/1c3pcct/why_did_the_cardcaptor_sakura_dub_failed_in_the/

Cardcaptor Sakura barely got any air time on Toonami it looks like and was in a less ideal time slot compared to Sailor Moon which aired at a time right when people in school got home and even got an 8.5 hour marathon at one point and a sweepstakes relating to it.

https://toonami.fandom.com/wiki/Toonami_Lineups_%281997-2004%29

However you also are forgetting Saturday morning cartoons and local channel cartoon blocks on the daily during a limited time slot was a thing during this time period. Toonami was last to get Sailor Moon. It was on local channels before then in syndication. Syndication means it aired every weekday. From what i can find seems it aired early mornings so people watched it before going to school. I am having more trouble finding when Cardcaptor Sakura aired but I suspect it also may have been syndicated since it met the 65 minimum for five day a week syndication and i do know it aired on local channels so. I'm guessing it maybe on local channels also did not get an ideal time slot.
traedMay 16, 2:57 AM
May 16, 3:11 AM

Apr 2018
Them going out of their way to fuck up the entire plot, characterization, pacing, and voice acting of the dub didn't exactly help matters.
ParataxicalisMay 16, 3:14 AM
May 16, 3:11 AM

Jan 2009
because the sailor scouts looks physically sexy
May 16, 4:26 AM

May 2018
"Why did Cardcaptor Sakura failed in the US while Sailor Moon succeeded?"

Because Sailor Moon is more fun?
May 16, 5:00 AM
Jun 2021
Sailor Moon always had that male appeal of girls kicking ass.
Sakura, on the other hand, is a much more "traditional" mahou shoujo title in that she's more of a kind fairy who brings good to the world, and it's a formula that just doesn't appeal to men that much. That and there's some heavy fujo elements like yaoi teasing, which doesn't appeal to men who're not gay themselves, like, 99% of the time.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 16, 5:27 AM

Feb 2018

I Guess that i must be Totally Gay... as CC Sakura always appealed to me since i first came across it 20 years ago...

May 16, 6:31 AM

Nov 2023
It did not get as good of a treatment, such as a worser time slot and the fact that there's more magical girl competitors it had to face. Since its from the same channl its not seen as anything as interesting

May 16, 6:32 AM

Aug 2021
Sailor Moon is very gay, but with scenes that are ecchi.

Cardcaptor Sakura is very gay, but there aren't a lot of girls in short skirts fighting.

There is also the issue of censorship and episode cuts and I think Cardcaptor Sakura suffered more cuts than Sailor Moon(as far as I know).

This reminds me that I dropped the Sailor Moon anime, maybe one day I'll try reading the manga.

May 16, 8:10 AM

Jan 2023
I am a fan of both. They are one of my favorites.
But they are very different.
First, Sailor Moon came out several years before Sakura.
It has many more episodes and characters. It's all more literal, it has advanced adult themes for the time. Michiru-Haruka is a great example. Another would be Fish Eye. The characters are minors but they look older. There are a lot of "filler" chapters that are fun, the rivals on duty are a beautiful bizarre thing. It has many films, it is still in tune after more than 30 years.

As for Sakura, she is more brotherly and naive. It focuses more on relationships, away from the sexual. Although yes in orientations, but they do not develop beyond that. The characters are minor and seem as such. Obviously with more maturity, but that's typical of anime. The premise of the anime is the relationship between all the characters, living together, understanding each other. Many people even find it boring due to the fact that it has chapters where 15 minutes are spent just watching them cook, eat and chat pleasantly. The action is more relaxed, there is not as much darkness. It's all softer. Pleasant colors, flowers.

Regarding the US, I don't know what it will be like. I am from Argentina. Both animes are quite popular here.
But Sailor Moon was one of the first anime to appear on TV, back in the early 90s. Sakura in the late 90s.
juanlqrMay 16, 10:07 AM
May 16, 9:58 AM

Feb 2016
Because only 39 of the 70 dubbed episodes aired in the USA. The fact that I'm only the 2nd out of 13 responses to provide such an obvious answer to your question (thanks @Absurdo_N) proves that the majority of MAL users know nothing about the USA.
LucifrostMay 16, 10:01 AM
その目だれの目?
May 16, 3:25 PM

Jul 2013
Does it really matter? It is just anime. It is nothing to be taken seriously tbh...
May 17, 1:38 AM
Jun 2021
@animegamer245 my point is Sakura isn't that popular with general audiences like Sailor Moon is.
Like, we're talking about casual viewers here. Is Sakura an unknown anime in the fandom? No it is not, which is where I agree with you. However, the average casual consumer cares only about the fighting and doesn't get the moe appeal. The only modern mahou shoujo that has done okay in the mainstream was Madoka, and that was thanks to the shilling that the anime is "different compared to stereotypical girly fare", "smart", "deep", "deconstructive". For some reason those words cause people to swarm in droves for an anime that's literally just slightly better made than the rest of the competition. Sakura didn't have that luxury as it came before the internet.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 17, 11:12 AM

Jul 2013
I like Cardcaptor Sakura alot tbh...although I havent seen all of its episodes...
May 17, 8:36 PM

Dec 2021
I don’t really know much about Sailor Moon but Cardcaptor Sakura had stuff like characters being in love with their cousins, child characters falling in love with their teachers, and male characters being attracted to other male characters (which at the time, probably would’ve gone down less well than two female characters being attracted to each other) which may have been harder to sell/censor properly. Idk though, just speculating really.
SaiteiDaOretteMay 17, 8:52 PM
May 17, 8:43 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Absurdo_N
Sailor Moon is very gay, but with scenes that are ecchi.

Cardcaptor Sakura is very gay, but there aren't a lot of girls in short skirts fighting.

There is also the issue of censorship and episode cuts and I think Cardcaptor Sakura suffered more cuts than Sailor Moon(as far as I know).

This reminds me that I dropped the Sailor Moon anime, maybe one day I'll try reading the manga.
@Absurdo_N
The same sex romantic feelings were removed from Sailor Moon but all romantic feelings removed from Cardcaptor Sakura. I dont know what else was removed from memory since ive yet to watch Sailor Moon and Im still going through Cardcaptor Sakura so i havent read through the list and dont plan on watching the dubs

Lucifrost said:
Because only 39 of the 70 dubbed episodes aired in the USA. The fact that I'm only the 2nd out of 13 responses to provide such an obvious answer to your question (thanks @Absurdo_N) proves that the majority of MAL users know nothing about the USA.

There was THAT much cut? That explains why i couldnt find information on it being syndicated because it wouldnt have been enough episodes to meet syndication requirements so it could have only aired once a week while Sailor Moon aired every weekday supposedly before it had a weekly broadcast.
traedMay 17, 8:50 PM
May 18, 7:01 PM

Jul 2013
Nobody takes anime seriously tbh...no offense to the OP...

More topics from this board

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - Yesterday

18 by AramHovhanued »»
2 minutes ago

» Which anime could be classified as "Technically isikai?"( Another place but same world)

Ratris_Decision - Yesterday

20 by TheBigGuy »»
9 minutes ago

» One Piece, Naruto and Bleach Quiz(big 3 Quiz)

Henrique-Senpai - 30 minutes ago

3 by Gator »»
19 minutes ago

» 🐱‍👤✨Naruto Hand Seals Are Based On Buddhism?!

Metabee177 - 7 hours ago

4 by katsucats »»
1 hour ago

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - Jun 1

24 by GoodBoy0069 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.