Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

New
May 14, 9:05 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Production company Aniplex opened an official website for an anime adaptation of Hisaya Nakajo's Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom) manga on Wednesday, revealing a teaser visual (pictured).

Nakajo serialized the romantic comedy manga in Hana to Yume from August 1996 to August 2004. Hakusensha published the 23rd and final volume in November that year. The magazine also published a one-shot sequel in the same month.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English and released the volumes between September 2004 and April 2008 before re-releasing them in 3-in-1 omnibus editions from March 2012 to April 2014.

Synopsis
Japanese-American track-and-field star Mizuki has gotten herself to transfer to a high school in Japan...but not just any school! To be close to her idol, high jumper Izumi Sano, she's going to an all-guys' high school...and disguising herself as a boy! But as fate would have it, they're more than classmates...they're roommates! Now, Mizuki must keep her secret in the classroom, the locker room, and her own bedroom. And her classmates—and the school nurse—must cope with a new transfer student who may make them question their own orientation... (Source: VIZ Media)

Official site: https://hanakimi-anime.com/
Official X (Twitter): @hanakimi_anime

Source: Oricon News

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e on MAL
VindstotMay 14, 9:16 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 14, 9:13 PM

Feb 2017
OMG!! I never thought it would get an anime, looks good i'm so excited!!!
May 14, 9:26 PM

Mar 2022
More shoujo! I think it's great, especially since, although it is a school romance, let's say it is not the "typical" one that one usually sees.

For those who are not familiar with the manga, I encourage you to read it before the anime comes out! It is very similar in its comedy to Ouran High School Host Club with touches of the manga "Komatta Toki ni wa Hoshi ni Kike" (both are shoujo mangas)

Taking into account the number of chapters that the manga has (and that it is finished) I see an adaptation of at least 24 chapters coming in the future.
May 14, 10:02 PM
Mar 2010
Not really stoke but good for the fans of this series
May 14, 10:10 PM

Mar 2021
Oh, it's going to be an anime? Seriously?

Why didn't they do it when the author was still alive...

May 14, 10:27 PM

Jul 2015
Sounds like that reverse harem from 20 years ago.

May 14, 10:34 PM

Jul 2021
hopefully a good romantic comedy (please), ill probably read the manga first bc i tend to be impatient

Qué maravilla.

You don't belong
here. You never did.
May 14, 10:58 PM

Sep 2020
Ouran High School Host Club x Boys over flower
May 14, 11:45 PM
Nov 2019
Just the other day I was thinking that it was such a shame this manga would never get an anime and then it was announced. I'm so happy I could die.
May 15, 12:04 AM

May 2017
Omg my fav manga and series TTATT i've been watching the drama and read the manga, im glad they adapted this series, we need more shoujo like this get adapted TTATT this news make me my day, i hope it got good studio
May 15, 12:08 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to kihel

@kihel It looks like the potential for shoujo manga adaptations has once again become great enough for studios to take on popular (?) titles that were once left out of anime. But what happened to its author?
May 15, 1:00 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@kihel It looks like the potential for shoujo manga adaptations has once again become great enough for studios to take on popular (?) titles that were once left out of anime. But what happened to its author?
@RobertBobert, she died from heart disease on 12 October 2023, at the age of 50. Very sad, so early to pass away.
May 15, 1:23 AM

Mar 2021
@RobertBobert
This work was also made into a drama CD at the time of its serialization, and was quite popular. A live-action drama was also produced. The casting was also quite good, so many people came to know this work through the live-action drama.

The author passed away last year, as another person mentioned.

Also, since the serial magazine is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, I think there were always plans to make an anime version of some work that was or is serialized in "Hana to Yume".

If anything, I don't think the studio had anything to do with it.

@Memore
I was buying the magazine right when the work was being serialized, so I was very shocked when I saw the news of the original author's death.

@ZXEAN
I think your explanation, clear and perfect!

May 15, 1:33 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to kihel
@RobertBobert
This work was also made into a drama CD at the time of its serialization, and was quite popular. A live-action drama was also produced. The casting was also quite good, so many people came to know this work through the live-action drama.

Also, since the serial magazine is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, I think there were always plans to make an anime version of some work that was or is serialized in "Hana to Yume".

@Memore
I was buying the magazine right when the work was being serialized, so I was very shocked when I saw the news of the original author's death.

@ZXEAN
@kihel So, is this work so popular that even years later it had impressive adaptation potential?
May 15, 3:12 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@kihel So, is this work so popular that even years later it had impressive adaptation potential?
@RobertBobert, don't know.
May 15, 3:13 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to kihel
@RobertBobert

@Memore

@ZXEAN
@kihe, yes, it was shocking indeed.
May 15, 4:19 AM

Oct 2017
I thought it was a bl but just a crossdressing shoujo romance. Forgot this was a thing once.
May 15, 4:59 AM
Dec 2013
Manga ended 20 years ago and only now it's getting an anime. R.I.P. author.
May 15, 7:22 AM

Aug 2010
After getting every version of live action possible and a remake, they finally made it into anime now, huh.

I've been skipping the manga and drama adaptations because the premise isn't to my liking so I'm most likely will skip this too, but it's always great to hear more shoujo adaptations!
May 15, 7:33 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to ZXEAN
Ouran High School Host Club x Boys over flower
@ZXEAN You mean it has an abusive controlling boyfriend like Domyouji? Going to be another trashy shoujo in that case.
May 15, 7:41 AM

Feb 2016
Yay, another one of those girly romantic comedies I've never liked.
その目だれの目?
May 15, 7:41 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Maou_heika
@ZXEAN You mean it has an abusive controlling boyfriend like Domyouji? Going to be another trashy shoujo in that case.
@Maou_heika Not for me. I love Boys over flower and Tsukasa Domyouji is my all time favourite shoujo male lead but don't worry this show is more like Ouran High School Host Club than Boys Over Flower.
ZXEANMay 15, 7:46 AM
May 15, 9:07 AM

May 2020
Old series are getting an adaptation every other day. They also need to bring back those series which did get an adaptation but never continued thereafter.
May 15, 11:29 AM

Aug 2015
Reply to kihel

kihel said:

I believe they mentioned in the announcement post that the author was working with the animation studio before her passing. So at least it's not an adaptation with zero influence from the original author, and from the way it was written they have high respect for the author.

I think the only reason it took so long to announce, is due to the double anniversaries of both Hana to Yume (50th) and Hana-kimi (20th). They probably felt like it was the right title to choose for such big anniversaries for both. At least that's my take from the information we got.
May 15, 11:40 AM

Aug 2018
Now I hope we get to see the continuation or a remake of Kaichou Wa Maid Sama as well
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
May 15, 2:38 PM

Apr 2018
Holy Cow, about time. I remember reading all the volumes in my high school library during my lunch break.
May 15, 3:08 PM
May 2019
I've been waiting my whole life for this. I've been a fan since the manga was coming out and it will always be my first love. I can't wait!
May 15, 3:38 PM
Nov 2016
Woah, the series is pretty old. I really didn't expect it to get an anime. I'm pleasantly surprised!
Maybe there is still hope for series like Kieta Hatsukoi and Dengeki daisy anime adaptations too!

Marcus5768 said:
Now I hope we get to see the continuation or a remake of Kaichou Wa Maid Sama as well
@Marcus5768

And a continuation/remake of Yona of the dawn, Ouran High school host club, Snow white with the red hair, etc, too!
May 15, 4:29 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Sahpile
kihel said:

I believe they mentioned in the announcement post that the author was working with the animation studio before her passing. So at least it's not an adaptation with zero influence from the original author, and from the way it was written they have high respect for the author.

I think the only reason it took so long to announce, is due to the double anniversaries of both Hana to Yume (50th) and Hana-kimi (20th). They probably felt like it was the right title to choose for such big anniversaries for both. At least that's my take from the information we got.
@Sahpile

I read that she was working with the studio. I would think they would have some input since the original author was unhappy with at least the first live-action drama. I think he was looking forward to the anime adaptation, since some of the characters were modeled after the voice actors in the first place.

The studio commented, “Nakajo-sensei was also looking forward to seeing the world of ‘Hana-kun’ spun in a different way from manga while looking at character rough drafts and scenarios.” The comment indicates that the original author cooperated in the supervision of the film. As expected, the shoujo manga artist of the live-action drama adaptation committed suicide this year, so it would be difficult to create a work without the influence and respect of the original author.I think a comment is necessary to show that you respected the opinions of the deceased.

Oh, it hasn't been exactly 20 years yet, but this year, it was the 20th anniversary.
kihelMay 15, 4:40 PM

May 15, 4:38 PM

Mar 2021
@RobertBobert

A drama CD was made during the magazine serialization, and to begin with, the first live-action drama in Japan was made several years after the manga ended.

In Japan, it is trending on twitter both when the author died and in this anime adaptation. Was it last year? Even when it was re-run, it was trending.

Among live-action dramas of shoujo manga, it is one of the most successful. If it wasn't popular, they wouldn't have made 4 live-action dramas, including one outside of Japan.

I'm not confident I can explain it well to someone who doesn't know the work and hasn't read it, so you can ask someone other than me since some other people have commented on it. I'm tired of explaining mine already.

@muta-chii
If you like it enough to buy the magazine, the latest issue came with original reproductions of “Hanazakari no Kimitachi e” etc. as a supplement.
kihelMay 15, 4:50 PM

May 15, 11:54 PM
Mar 2021
They way I SCREAMED I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS WAS SO SHOCKED AND IT GETTING ANIME !!!
May 16, 12:46 AM
Feb 2015
Oh my, what a pleasant suprise,waiting for the release date
May 16, 4:47 AM
May 2020
Reply to Maou_heika
@Maou_heika I don't know why some people are talking about Hana Yori Dango (boys over flower), since they have nothing in common (I can get ouran host club, because of the crossdressing part, but hana kimi came first), except being from that period of time. Hana Yori is heavenly romance/drama/triangle based, while this one is more comedy/friendship/romance based.
Anyway I can assure you that Sano is nowhere near being toxic, abusive or manipulative.
DiosaUnica96-2May 16, 5:41 AM
May 16, 6:34 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to DiosaUnica96-2
@Maou_heika I don't know why some people are talking about Hana Yori Dango (boys over flower), since they have nothing in common (I can get ouran host club, because of the crossdressing part, but hana kimi came first), except being from that period of time. Hana Yori is heavenly romance/drama/triangle based, while this one is more comedy/friendship/romance based.
Anyway I can assure you that Sano is nowhere near being toxic, abusive or manipulative.
@DiosaUnica96-2 Good to hear that, I usually like shoujo but I can't stand toxic love interests like Domyouji.
May 16, 8:05 AM
Apr 2022
I think I read the manga long time ago.
May 16, 9:57 AM

Jul 2016
Gotta love to see old mangas finally getting adaptations. :)
May 16, 10:56 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to kihel
@RobertBobert

A drama CD was made during the magazine serialization, and to begin with, the first live-action drama in Japan was made several years after the manga ended.

In Japan, it is trending on twitter both when the author died and in this anime adaptation. Was it last year? Even when it was re-run, it was trending.

Among live-action dramas of shoujo manga, it is one of the most successful. If it wasn't popular, they wouldn't have made 4 live-action dramas, including one outside of Japan.

I'm not confident I can explain it well to someone who doesn't know the work and hasn't read it, so you can ask someone other than me since some other people have commented on it. I'm tired of explaining mine already.

@muta-chii
If you like it enough to buy the magazine, the latest issue came with original reproductions of “Hanazakari no Kimitachi e” etc. as a supplement.
@kihel You misunderstood me. I'm not asking you to literally explain or justify this, you can just say "yes, it's still quite popular. I apologize if you got that impression. I tried watching the live action adaptation years ago, since it didn't have an anime back then, but it was so long ago that I had already forgotten the name.

UPD. Since you, for some inexplicable reason, continued to accuse me of forcing you to make excuses (?) and spread "unfounded opinions" about the manga, and at the same time added me to ignore, without allowing me to respond in any way to these strange accusations, I I'll take the liberty and duplicate my answer here.

I never expressed my OPINION about this work. As you yourself noted, I have not read it, so I cannot and do not try to express any opinion on it. I cannot have an opinion about a work that I have not read and do not even always remember its existence. All I asked was how popular it was, since the announcement of an adaptation after all these years piqued my interest. At the same time, if I read the manga and knew the work well, I would not have the need to ask you about it. I fully understand that this work means a lot to you, but it seems to me that you are misunderstanding the context of my messages too much and are taking it too personally for no actual reason.

But I respect your feelings and am not going to force a dialogue on you if you find it uncomfortable. Even if in my opinion it is based on a very strange misunderstanding. Thanks for the answer.
RobertBobertMay 16, 9:48 PM
May 16, 12:42 PM

May 2008
I LOVE bait and switch series like this where the girl is thought to be a boy but really isn't. Comedy writes itself.

May 16, 5:47 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to StarPebblit
I LOVE bait and switch series like this where the girl is thought to be a boy but really isn't. Comedy writes itself.
@StarPebblit I don't think this can be called a bait and switch, given that we know from the start that the MC is a woman.
May 17, 12:36 AM
May 2019
Reply to Marcus5768
@Marcus5768 Hell yes, I'd love more Maid-Sama with Monica Rial. That's always welcome.
May 19, 2:03 PM
Apr 2023
I think there was a Kdrama on this....
May 19, 4:08 PM
Jul 2009
OMG!!! this is one of the first mangas i read and fell in love with ;;
can't believe it will be animated! it's pretty old though i wonder how the story will work in the present.
i remember it having many live action adaptations, the taiwanese one was my favorite.
May 20, 5:10 AM

Apr 2016
I'm so exciting for this. I love the japanese drama of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.
May 24, 2:31 AM

Jun 2020
I've heard of the manga, but I've never gotten around to reading it. However, the period of time between the two adaptations--regardless of the occasion which was probably the main force in getting it animated--gives me hope for other old shoujo, like Natsumi Ando's stuff, getting animated too. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ARISA would make SUCH a good anime.

More topics from this board

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - May 31

13 by 210200 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mayonaka Punch' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses [Update 5/31]

Snow - Apr 5

3 by Snow »»
Yesterday, 10:45 PM

» 'Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita.' Unveils Main Cast, Staff, First Promo for 2024 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - May 2, 2023

6 by oazuz »»
Yesterday, 12:41 PM

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - May 28

5 by DafuqBOOM »»
Yesterday, 10:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.