Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 11:49 AM

Feb 2016
Over the past few weeks, I have seen the scores of obscure anime increase significantly. I found a stack documenting the phenomenon, and I have observed similar increases in other titles not found on the stack. Anyone have an explanation for this?
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/44765
LucifrostMay 14, 7:42 PM
その目だれの目?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 14, 11:53 AM

Nov 2019
Score Inflation

Bro this needs to be adressed, especially the inflated average score on this app, lol mfs dont know how to rate shit, our generation is doomed.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
May 14, 11:56 AM

Aug 2018
Wow, there's even a list for something like that.
May 14, 11:59 AM

Jan 2020
Yes, due to the scoring formula, this site gives a lower score to anime that don't have many votes. Two anime with the same average score might show a different weighted score due to the amount of votes given.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
May 14, 12:01 PM
Sep 2013
Maybe it's caused by some botted votes being removed.
May 14, 12:15 PM

Oct 2019
I have had a stack called aged like fine wine about about this exact thing.

I made it to document shows that have been getting better in the eyes of the community over time.

But i don't think that is at play here with the shows in your stack. at least not all of them, like perfect blue is going up cause of the first reason.

but it seems like mal has changed something about how the calculate score, that has made the scores be a little nicer to less popular shows.

Or at least thats my best guess.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 14, 12:16 PM

Feb 2024
Lucifrost said:
Anyone have an explanation for this?
I'm not that familiar with anime trends, but I noticed all titles on that list were old, before 2000 at least. Maybe that's some sort of nostalgia, eg people got tired of copycat shows and looking for something authentic?
Also, the shows on the list are not that popular, so they need fewer people to rank them higher to get a visible score advancement.
Or maybe some purely technical reason.
LoveYourSmileMay 14, 12:24 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 14, 12:19 PM

Sep 2016
MAL definitely changed something in the score calculation system, not long ago I checked the median score (not mean score) of the Top Anime ranking, it was 6.55 back then, but now it's suddenly 6.63 and there is no way this could have happened "naturally" within such a short time.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 14, 12:32 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
They most likely cooked smt behind the screen with the algorithm to obliterate illegal voting as this phenomenon also applied to the Manga board.
May 14, 12:38 PM

Jul 2016
Still find it funny how much people care about arbitrary anime scores.
May 14, 12:42 PM

Oct 2010
moeru oniisan score rose just after I wrote the infamous Kimagure Summarized Edition review that was actually a presentation of the new oniisan anime, other that that I don't know
May 14, 12:46 PM

Sep 2018
I also noticed a sudden increase in the score of a hidden gem I was checking out, but I thought it was due to more people rating it.

For those who don't know, the weighted score is calculated by adding 100 votes equal to the global mean (6.50) to every anime. The impact is negligible for the vast majority of anime, but the most obscure ones are severely hurt by that (when they are already rated lower due to the fact that only "expert watchers" are going to bother watching them, not the casuals who rate everything highly).
May 14, 1:10 PM
Mar 2024
There also needs to be a bigger case by case look on shows that are doing outstanding on polls, but are getting a higher percentage of low scores (5 to 1) and majority of those scores are from people who didn't see the previous seasons.

Dal v for example is ranked #1 on anime corner, anitrendz, sugoi and probably set to win anime of the season on many polling sites. It takes a show with a 9 or high 8 to do this. Yet dal v somehow has a far higher percentage of lower scores than most of the shows this season. Almost all didn't even watch prior seasons. We have already had a few cases where fans got harassed by people who clearly are not watching the show nor seen the prior seasons. And some fake reviews that obviously shown no sign they r watching or seen previous seasons.
May 14, 2:31 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Interesting observation. Some of these have gained quite a bit of popularity over time (e.g. Angel's Egg, Perfect Blue), so it may just have to do that people who are watching these are actually enjoying them. Otherwise, there could be bot accounts adding entries like this to fill out their list in between other entries they are actually trying to manipulate.
May 14, 6:57 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Lucifrost said:
I'm not that familiar with anime trends, but I noticed all titles on that list were old, before 2000 at least. Maybe that's some sort of nostalgia, eg people got tired of copycat shows and looking for something authentic?
Also, the shows on the list are not that popular, so they need fewer people to rank them higher to get a visible score advancement.
Or maybe some purely technical reason.
LoveYourSmile said:

That wouldn't explain why so many titles had their scores increase all at the same time. For such obscure titles, only a few are being watched at any given time.
Also, one anime's score went up the day after I downvoted it. 😠
その目だれの目?
May 14, 7:45 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
LoveYourSmile said:

That wouldn't explain why so many titles had their scores increase all at the same time. For such obscure titles, only a few are being watched at any given time.
Also, one anime's score went up the day after I downvoted it. 😠
@Lucifrost It looks like a purely technical change then, there are many ways to calculate averages. Maybe ping admins here? They must know if something like that happened recently.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 15, 12:26 AM

Sep 2016
Nirinbo said:
the weighted score is calculated by adding 100 votes equal to the global mean (6.50) to every anime.

Do you know why MAL is doing that? Does it prevent new entries from getting bumped to the top by a minority? If so, isn't it enough to have a minimum number of scored users to enter the ranking?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 15, 12:48 AM

Aug 2020
Lucifrost said:
besides MAL possibly changing the system unknowingly to us, it's also bcoz of new viewers simply liking them and giving them high scores hence they're going up. It's always been like that. Here is another example
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/36925

Like Ashita no Joe 2 for instance, pay attention to the statistics. You'll see its 10 score % increasing every couple of days.

Btw @APolygons2 i think i've collected another batch for your stack. I might send them sooner or later.
May 15, 1:23 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Zarutaku
Nirinbo said:
the weighted score is calculated by adding 100 votes equal to the global mean (6.50) to every anime.

Do you know why MAL is doing that? Does it prevent new entries from getting bumped to the top by a minority? If so, isn't it enough to have a minimum number of scored users to enter the ranking?
@Zarutaku it's definitely an additional measure to avoid seeing random stuff rated by 101 users in the top rankings. They could raise the minimum amount of votes required to have an official score, but then we won't be able to distinguish between obscure anime that managed to be rated 6.xx and the ones rated 4.xx-5.xx or even lower; the weighted score basically just prevents them from being rated above 7.00.

May 15, 7:44 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to TRC_Randy
Lucifrost said:
besides MAL possibly changing the system unknowingly to us, it's also bcoz of new viewers simply liking them and giving them high scores hence they're going up. It's always been like that. Here is another example
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/36925

Like Ashita no Joe 2 for instance, pay attention to the statistics. You'll see its 10 score % increasing every couple of days.

Btw @APolygons2 i think i've collected another batch for your stack. I might send them sooner or later.
TRC_Randy said:
besides MAL possibly changing the system unknowingly to us, it's also bcoz of new viewers simply liking them and giving them high scores hence they're going up. It's always been like that.

As I've said, it's happening with anime too obscure to get so many new viewers.
その目だれの目?
May 15, 7:48 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Nirinbo
@Zarutaku it's definitely an additional measure to avoid seeing random stuff rated by 101 users in the top rankings. They could raise the minimum amount of votes required to have an official score, but then we won't be able to distinguish between obscure anime that managed to be rated 6.xx and the ones rated 4.xx-5.xx or even lower; the weighted score basically just prevents them from being rated above 7.00.

Nirinbo said:
the weighted score basically just prevents them from being rated above 7.00.

Shouldn't it also prevent them from being rated below 6.5? The anime I've been watching all had scores below that before the inflation.
その目だれの目?
May 15, 8:26 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Lucifrost
Nirinbo said:
the weighted score basically just prevents them from being rated above 7.00.

Shouldn't it also prevent them from being rated below 6.5? The anime I've been watching all had scores below that before the inflation.
@Lucifrost no, because it's adding 100 votes, not replacing them. Theoretically speaking, the lowest possible weighted score for an anime rated by 100 users is 50%*1+50%*6.5=3.75 and the highest is 50%*10+50%*6.5=8.25. Of course, these extreme scenarios are impossible: a more likely upper limit might be 50%*9+50%*6.5=7.75.

anime rated 7.9 by 100 users -> weighted score = (7.9*100+6.5*100)/200= 7.2
anime rated 7.9 by 200 users -> weighted score = (7.9*200+6.5*100)/300= 7.43
anime rated 7.9 by 300 users -> 7.55
May 15, 8:37 AM

Aug 2020
Lucifrost said:
As I've said, it's happening with anime too obscure to get so many new viewers.
well similarly, due to their obscurity a mere handful of new viewers rating it high is enough to increase their score.
May 16, 10:46 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime. MAL has implemented a new system to take care of boosting/downvoting accounts automatically. You can read more about it here. You do not have to worry about the score being influenced by them. If it is influenced, it will be fixed after a few days.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - Today

15 by LenRea »»
11 seconds ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - 3 hours ago

11 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» I was on YouTube and I saw this craziest anime community post

Kiryotsu - 3 hours ago

14 by LenRea »»
8 minutes ago

» What do you think about fetishes in anime?

Anjuro - 11 hours ago

33 by LenRea »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - Yesterday

44 by Nemo_Niemand »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.