Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 7:43 PM
Monogatari Fan
May 2021
An anime that you would/have give a high score to that you think most people either don't know about, is underrated or both.
May 13, 7:46 PM

Oct 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/52991/Sousou_no_Frieren

I still believe that 9,37 isn't high enough.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 13, 7:51 PM
Jun 2015
Digimon Tamers. For a kids series, that shit gets really dark and it's pretty well written.
May 13, 7:58 PM

May 2024
It's definitely not a deep cut but I find Haibane Renmei sitting below an 8 to be pretty disagreeable. Also, Space Patrol Luluco is great (a solid 9).
May 13, 8:37 PM

Apr 2024
Robot Carnival - All the episodes are great, but Presence is beautiful.

May 13, 8:58 PM

Mar 2021
HotHamlet said:
Most underrated anime you have seen?

Pretty much just about any Anime that is older then MAL has actually been around and any Anime with even mild sexual content from Ecchi to Erotica.

As an example, an Anime such as "Agent AIKa" has basically shaped the way panty fanservice has been used and portrayed in Japanese Anime for well over two decades now. From Hardcore Ecchi Anime to regular modern seasonal throwaways with extremely mild fanservice, I can still sometimes see hints of Noriyasu Yamauchi's influence at play. An Anime that has obviously had an extreme amount of influence in this industry deserves a much better Score than just a measly 5.95! As obnoxious as the Panty fanservice is in "Agent AIKa" for most people, the story isn't that bad and the animation is actually state of the art for it's time period as well as it's just an extremely entertaining Anime to watch simply for just the sheer eye candy of having a bunch of hilariously positioned camera angles that would only ever exist in Japanese Anime.

It's my personal opinion Anime today would not be the same without people like Noriyasu Yamauchi and this is going beyond just their contribution to panty fanservice. The guy has worked as minor staff on numerous high profile projects before (most of which isn't giving him credit even on MAL) and a person like me can distinctly tell when there is an action sequence produced where it's obvious Noriyasu Yamauchi has had his finger prints all over in it's creation. The guy was a key Animator for "Project A-Ko" and even after he moved off of the further "Project A-Ko" projects you can still see his influence linger in each sequel.

The guy is a legend to me when it comes to this medium and there is a reason why I think "Agent AIKa" is legendray too, simply because it's true.
ColourWheelMay 13, 9:44 PM
May 13, 9:12 PM

Dec 2021
Déjà vu, I've just been in this thread before.

I guess Oi! Ryouma. It's not subbed at all, so accessibility for it is pretty poor (Forget the top 1000, only 1105 members with it on their list), but from the five episodes I've seen (It's tough making good AI generated subtitles), it's really good. If it were remastered with proper subtitles, I could imagine this getting a decent amount of love that it never ended up getting here in the west.
Daviljoe193May 13, 9:43 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 13, 9:13 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to Phosphophyllita
https://myanimelist.net/anime/52991/Sousou_no_Frieren

I still believe that 9,37 isn't high enough.
quite sure that sounded funnier in your head.
:v
May 13, 9:16 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to MichaelJackson
quite sure that sounded funnier in your head.
@MichaelJackson If you think it was supposed to be a joke, then what can I say?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 13, 9:21 PM

Sep 2015
Without a doubt, Babylon was peak and the way it's treated by MAL community is hilarious.

May 13, 9:22 PM

Feb 2020
From my top 10 list:

Show By Rock!!
PriPara
Strike Witches
May 13, 9:35 PM

Dec 2022
Either School Days or Yosuga no Sora, according to my "MAL Score vs Anime Score" stat page. They're sitting at scores of 5.52 and 6.02 respectively, but I rate both of them significantly higher than that. That said, neither of them are unknown by any means.

I'd say Betterman is a serviceable example for a series that is both unheard of and underrated (as in scored lower than it should be) by watchers. Its psychological aspects are mesmerising in conception, presentation and meaning, yet they aren't beating you over the head with pitiable angst either. The focus is more apparent on the consistently emerging biotech that fuels the development of the story. Moreover, this narrative actually acts as a sort of broad metaphor for the human body itself: many of the factions and characters essentially represent the dynamic influence of pathogens, the human immune system, and genetic mutations on the body. How the story itself unfolds with Kanker, Algernon, Akamatsu, Somnium, etc., leans into this similitude to more than a nominal degree. Actually, the grainy and overly dark visuals that make it difficult to actually see what's happening on the botched DVD release are its main flaw — but the plot isn't nearly as incomprehensible as its made out to be, at least when you take the time to binge-watch it, especially when viewed from the biology/physiology analogous perspective mentioned earlier.

Shaded Horizon

May 13, 9:42 PM

Jan 2022
Disregarding the ones on my list of favorites,
Underrated: Samurai Flamenco. While the parts that were grounded were the most enjoyable, everything else was such an experience.
Rekatively unknown: Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou. It does have 10 minute episodes, though.
Both: Panda-Z: The Robonimation. It really won me over with it's conclusion. It's 5 minutes per episode, including OP and ED, has no voiced lines, and is a mecha parody. There were a few skits that were less interesting than others, for sure, but overall, it's still much better than where it's at right now.
Looking specifically at shows that I can reasonnably expect a jump in score of +1, or that are nowhere near the top 1000 most popular (on MAL).
May 13, 10:15 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Nanami0007
Without a doubt, Babylon was peak and the way it's treated by MAL community is hilarious.

Good to see a fellow Babylon enjoyer.
May 13, 10:26 PM
Jan 2022
Must Be kingdom. Especially The first 2 seasons are not appreciated as much as they should Be ause people can't handle The CGI
May 13, 10:43 PM

Nov 2019
Douluo Dalu and Fights Break Sphere. Takes getting used to the chinese dub and CGI but if those weren't obstacles they'd be soaring in MAL
May 13, 10:46 PM

Jan 2024
Brigadoon was very unique, Airmaster best martial arts anime I have seen, Scryed was a fun action story with cool characters, Blue Gender basically tells the story AOT tried to tell in 26 episodes and did it much better a decade prior.
May 13, 10:46 PM
Mar 2017
Hoozuki no Reitetsu… this is exactly the type of Anime I thought most anime fans or people interested in Japanese culture , would have seen ….
I was surprised of how underrated it is !

It’s so good and I would recommend it all the time
May 18, 11:29 PM

May 2016
Reply to YungStairwell
It's definitely not a deep cut but I find Haibane Renmei sitting below an 8 to be pretty disagreeable. Also, Space Patrol Luluco is great (a solid 9).
@YungStairwell Haibane Renmei is sooo good, its one of my favorites. i really recommend this anime to anyone

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
MAL Graph

May 19, 6:21 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
Kero Kero chime, Anmitsu hime, Chou kuse ni narisou
Gee, it sure is boring around here
May 19, 6:29 PM

Mar 2023
Sonny Boy, Summertime Render, Odd Taxi, Id:invaded.
May 23, 4:50 PM

Nov 2020
I haven't watched many badly rated shows, but if I had to pick the biggest discrepancies between what I thought vs. the ratings it would probably be the Animatrix or Black Lagoon.
May 23, 11:17 PM

Aug 2019
If "Shounan Bakusouzoku" had been released ten years later than it was or - the better scenario - had gotten distributed properly to an audience outside of Japan, it would be SO well liked. I just know it.
May 23, 11:31 PM

May 2018
off the top of my head: ghost hunt, michiko to hatchin, megalo box, kekkai sensen, arslan senki and legend of the legendary heroes. nobody seems to like them as much as me lol, but I think they deserve higher ratings
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
May 23, 11:58 PM

Nov 2020
I would say the most underrated anime I have seen is 91 Days, this anime was too good. For a 12 episode anime so much happens and it's just great every episode. Out of all the anime I have watched I would say 91 Days falls somewhere in my top 11-15 anime. Nobody really talks about 91 days and I think the anime should be talked about way more especially when talking about the best short anime.

Some other anime that are underrated or not talked about enough is Ao Ashi and Yuukoku no Moriarty. Of course all the anime I have mentioned have very good ratings and a decent sized member count but I do feel as these anime should be talked about more.
“Maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happens for a reason, our destiny slowly takes form.” - Rayleigh

May 24, 12:11 AM

Aug 2021
Gleipnir

Only prudes and people who have radically high expectations despise it
May 24, 6:12 AM

Dec 2022
1997 Berserk isnt talked ab enough tbf

May 24, 3:09 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to shane_nichols
Digimon Tamers. For a kids series, that shit gets really dark and it's pretty well written.
@shane_nichols every time I rewatch it I'm surprised by how better it is then I realised, and it's one of my favourite shows since I was a kid
May 24, 3:38 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Hyperdimension Neptunia imo...
May 24, 3:44 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to NessieMAL
1997 Berserk isnt talked ab enough tbf
@NessieMAL Ive seen more 1997 berserk clips with millions of views than the later ones on YouTube. Maybe 10 years ago it was underrated but it’s received a lot of attention in recent years.

May 24, 5:34 PM

Jan 2022
Idk I've already watched way too many obscure/underrated anime i shouldn't have watched lol
May 24, 5:44 PM

Apr 2024
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) was so ahead of its time that even its audience of 14 year old vocaloid fans was too young to understand it. Even an average adult viewer has troubles understanding it, kids definitely could not comprehend anything.

@LenRea
Idk I've already watched way too many obscure/underrated anime i shouldn't have watched lol

No you didn't, go watch Black★Rock Shooter (TV) (and Madoka Magica to understand its influence on this gem).

@bucciest

If "Shounan Bakusouzoku" had been released ten years later than it was or - the better scenario - had gotten distributed properly to an audience outside of Japan, it would be SO well liked. I just know it.

Exactly how I feel about Black★Rock Shooter (TV).
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 7:16 PM

May 2018
Reply to Pg13_
I would say the most underrated anime I have seen is 91 Days, this anime was too good. For a 12 episode anime so much happens and it's just great every episode. Out of all the anime I have watched I would say 91 Days falls somewhere in my top 11-15 anime. Nobody really talks about 91 days and I think the anime should be talked about way more especially when talking about the best short anime.

Some other anime that are underrated or not talked about enough is Ao Ashi and Yuukoku no Moriarty. Of course all the anime I have mentioned have very good ratings and a decent sized member count but I do feel as these anime should be talked about more.
@Pg13_ 91 days definitely deserves a mention, I was so invested in the outcome
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
May 24, 7:17 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation...
May 24, 7:18 PM

Apr 2020
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou, people don't understand the beauty of monster girls. :(
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
May 24, 7:46 PM

Jun 2011
Skip Beat, one of the best shojo ever. You never see anyone recommend it.

Nodame Cantabile, arguably the best romcom ever, hardly anyone recommend it too because not many people know about it.

Mahou Sensei Negima, one of the most underrated battle shonen adventure, but this is more so for the manga.

Ookiku Furikabutte, one of the best baseball anime, people have seen Cross Game, One Outs, Major and Ace of Diamond, this one is often neglected.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn, one of the most fun battle shonen, really cool fighting mechanics, and has one of the best artstyle for a shonen.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio, one of the most underrated battleship girls anime.

Ajin, a show with similar vibe to Tokyo Ghoul that deserves more recognition. Has one of the best antagonist I've come across in anime.

Uchouten Kazoku, when it comes to overall aesthetics and production, this is up there as one of the most pleasing anime to watch, great visuals, great soundtracks, unique setting and story.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 24, 8:00 PM

Oct 2019
---{ Mars red }---

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 25, 2:01 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to NoelleIsSleepy
@Pg13_ 91 days definitely deserves a mention, I was so invested in the outcome
@NoelleIsSleepy I thought the voice acting in the Dub fit the story better and I liked the open ended ending; one of the better anime I've seen in 2023-2024. Angelo became one of my favorite characters by the end of the story.
28 minutes ago
May 2024
Reply to APolygons2
---{ Mars red }---

@APolygons2 I've been wanting to watch it for a while but when I saw reviews almost everyone said the animation was bad or that they couldn't concentrate on the story because of the animation and now I think about that and I see how stupid I was cause honestly the animation is one of the aspects I pay the least attention to unless it's super super bad.

You wanted to sell it and you sold it to me, thanks bro I'm going to start it soon.
25 minutes ago

May 2021
"Most underrated anime you have seen?

shadows house
23 minutes ago

Oct 2019
Reply to NiceCorn
@APolygons2 I've been wanting to watch it for a while but when I saw reviews almost everyone said the animation was bad or that they couldn't concentrate on the story because of the animation and now I think about that and I see how stupid I was cause honestly the animation is one of the aspects I pay the least attention to unless it's super super bad.

You wanted to sell it and you sold it to me, thanks bro I'm going to start it soon.
NiceCorn said:

Tbh even though the animation isn't super movement heavy, the show makes gold out of copper with it. The art and direction are so extremely strong, that it squeezes every possible bit of visual feast out of it's clearly lower budget. I think you'll be surprised by how incredibly good it looks despite the "bad animation".

NiceCorn said:

I'm so glad I managed to do it.

Just a heads up though, I strongly suggest rewatching the first episode at least once, specially after finishing the entire show. Just trust me on that, it has SO MUCH, detail and thought put into it, that's it's pretty much impossible to fully appreciate the pilot with one watch.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942

More topics from this board

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 4 hours ago

31 by Lucifrost »»
1 minute ago

» "The anime is better than the manga" you ever heard that one before?

Yuusey - 2 hours ago

25 by Patatita »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime would you consider a Soft-Seinen?

Yuusey - 5 hours ago

15 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - 11 hours ago

17 by keanuyello »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is The Most Unfavourited Character on Your List? (Useless Thread #41) ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Erebus_Akeldama - Nov 7, 2021

214 by jantszztkr »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.