Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 10, 12:07 PM

Mar 2023
This show has a score of 4.84. I guess it's because of the CGI but Girls Band Cry seems to be loved even thought the animation there in my opinion doesn't look that great either. So is it beacause of the story? How bad is it?
May 10, 12:34 PM
Feb 2021
I’m not fully caught up with it, but so far it’s just a really boring racing anime. The near-futuristic aesthetic and higher speeds don’t really add anything to the show (if anything it makes it worse cause the racing doesn’t really feel any faster than normal), and the races themselves are a bit of a drag, since it’s mostly just uninteresting commentary over the cars with the occasional interjections of characters talking to themselves or their AI dashboards. Speaking of which, I don’t like the character designs, but that could just be a me thing.

But yeah the absolute biggest issue is the visuals. Girls Band Cry isn’t the best looking CG show (though I do like how it looks) but compared to this it might as well be Studio Orange level.
May 10, 1:17 PM

Feb 2023
The CGI is definitely not the same quality as in Girls Band Cry.

As someone who doesn't watch a lot of racing I actually find the racing aspect quite enjoyable so far. The protagonist's cute AI assistant is pretty cool.
It was a bit difficult to get a grasp on all the other contestants (and recorgnising their car designs) since the anime only really introduces them over time. I found the episodes outside of the races dedicated to introducing "king" and "queen" really enjoyable. The protagonist is a bit too oblivious about racing given the fact that she's up against the pros, but I don't take an issue with it since it's pretty funny.

I haven't watched the latest episode (episode 6) yet, but I feel like it improves a bit over time. The race in episode 5 had quite a lot going on.
May 10, 2:25 PM
May 2011
Personally, the MC's stupidity goes beyond "funny" and into "annoying" territory. I'm also not a fan of all the attention and praise she gets considering she is fucking awful. As for the races...

jekfrumstotferm said:
The near-futuristic aesthetic and higher speeds don’t really add anything to the show (if anything it makes it worse cause the racing doesn’t really feel any faster than normal), and the races themselves are a bit of a drag, since it’s mostly just uninteresting commentary over the cars with the occasional interjections of characters talking to themselves or their AI dashboards.

^This. All of this.

That said...I don't hate. At least, I don't mind the boring races. The non-race episodes were painful. and the CG...very stiff.

Should "boring"+"CGI"+"sports"=4.84? Honestly, it doesn't deserve to be much higher. Although, a lot of the praise (which isn't much) that I've seen it get is for the tracks and how faithful they are to the real life locations. That should count for something, right?
May 10, 2:38 PM

Jan 2009
story is weak and you may find the races boring but i enjoy the 3dcg especially how cool the futuristic cars look and also the characters especially rin the main character she is such a dweeb and dork

im fine if this is scored so low since this will be a hidden gem for me
May 10, 3:31 PM

Dec 2016
The story is seriously lacking substance. The MC is not charming and manages to give a new (displeasing) level to "dumb". The races are boring with bland color commentary. As a sports fan, I find nothing about how the AI-assist concept is presented that gives any authenticity to its use in racing. "Cutesy" distracted driving *ehh*. The current rating seems more than fair.
⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿  Umehara is my daily dopamine  ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
May 10, 4:19 PM

Oct 2012
The CGI isn't the issue, although it's nowhere near Girls Band Cry.

The issue is that if bland had name, it would be this show, as somehow every single aspect manages to be so underwhelming and boredom inducing that the effect is compounded.

May 10, 5:43 PM
Nov 2023
If I had to limit myself to 10 shows a season, this wouldn’t be in them. Not even 20. But as I have lots of spare time I don’t mind finding 24 minutes a week for a cute girls anime. The racing is unrealistic but still entertaining and the CGI is a 7/10. Better than Bandori, not as good as Cry. I rate it 6, but I’m not surprised to see a CGI show getting poor numbers. It’s only opinions, not facts…
May 11, 8:12 AM
Dec 2017
The first three chapters are bad, the story is poor and so are the characters, but I keep watching it because the races are immersive, the 4th chapter was nice to me and the 5th was very good in Monaco. It's less difficult for me to watch this than self-help made into an anime like Girls Band Cry.
May 11, 12:21 PM

Mar 2022
The CGI was ok for me, though I can see a lot of people dislike it, as it's not the greatest thing to see in an anime. But the problem is the story and character writing which got to nowhere really as of episode 6.

As an anime about racing, most would expect at least some logic and realism to make the races exciting, but the races left me feeling puzzled a lot about the end result. But before any of that, why is MC even in the same league as the top dogs when she doesn't even know all the rule. This already made the league and races not so impressive.

Then onto our MC, RIN. Supposedly a former ballerina forced to give up her dream for, as of now, unexplained reasons. So one would thought, even though she's a clumsy airhead amateur who didn't even know all the rules, she's still competitive and yearn for improvement, for she was a former dancer and a top-ranked player in some racing game. Surely she'll get better quickly or give it a good fight, right? Sadly not really... Her comical reactions and frustration during and after the races only make it seem like she doesn't care enough about racing, neither does her sponsor care how either promising or incompetent she is.

So now here I am, unable to take the races seriously, unable to like the MC, and not find the slice-of-life part of the story very enjoyable or funny either.

I had expectations after episode 1, but sadly got nothing as of episode 6.
May 11, 5:18 PM

Aug 2022
Six episodes in...

As a racing anime, you would expect that it would do justice for its supposed main selling point? If you ask me, Highspeed Etoile doesn't do a good job of selling the auto racing aspect. Generally, the races feel like they are a montage of poorly edited clips with graphics that look worse than the latest Grand Turismo or Forza Motorsport, overlaid with boring commentary. As someone who isn't a fan of auto racing, I find the races in the anime to be average at best.

I find the races so average that I'm actually enjoying more of the show's slice of life drama. Though if you're not a slice of life fan you'll probably be turned off by that aspect of the series.

The car and character designs feel somewhat distinct to say the least, though it's a damned shame all of that had to be rendered in 3D that feels ripped out of the PS2 era. The illustrations at the end of each episode give more justice to the designs than the main show.

Do I have any hope for the remaining episodes? I'm keeping my expectations low.
May 18, 4:33 AM

Nov 2019
Spunkert said:
So is it beacause of the story? How bad is it?

Here is an obvious hint. Average F1 pitstop takes 2.5s of stop time ( unless your team is Ferrari or Kick Sauber), and it's man-operated. The machines here require more than that, and I lost my concentration after the 10th second.

And it's only the first episode.

Another prime example of 'good writing' is the times they uttered either the word 'King' or 'Queen'. Listening to Dutch national anthem gran-prixly is more entertaining than that.
SgtBateManMay 18, 4:37 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jun 4, 6:53 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to Fail_Man_X
Personally, the MC's stupidity goes beyond "funny" and into "annoying" territory. I'm also not a fan of all the attention and praise she gets considering she is fucking awful. As for the races...

jekfrumstotferm said:
The near-futuristic aesthetic and higher speeds don’t really add anything to the show (if anything it makes it worse cause the racing doesn’t really feel any faster than normal), and the races themselves are a bit of a drag, since it’s mostly just uninteresting commentary over the cars with the occasional interjections of characters talking to themselves or their AI dashboards.

^This. All of this.

That said...I don't hate. At least, I don't mind the boring races. The non-race episodes were painful. and the CG...very stiff.

Should "boring"+"CGI"+"sports"=4.84? Honestly, it doesn't deserve to be much higher. Although, a lot of the praise (which isn't much) that I've seen it get is for the tracks and how faithful they are to the real life locations. That should count for something, right?
@Fail_Man_X Seriously though? This take sounds ridiculous. Looks ok to me. How tf is it rated lower than redo of rapist. Looks better than it.
MattenanJun 4, 6:57 AM
Jun 4, 8:02 AM
May 2011
Reply to Mattenan
@Fail_Man_X Seriously though? This take sounds ridiculous. Looks ok to me. How tf is it rated lower than redo of rapist. Looks better than it.
@Mattenan What about my take is braindead/ridiculous? The CGI is stiff and bland. If you think it looks okay, that's cool. Personally, I don't hate it, but most people do, and from what I've seen of Redo of Healer (which, admittedly, isn't much) it's a better looking show. Its content may be objectionable, but its animation isn't. It's also better written. As stupid as I think a world where women get more powerful by getting creampied and where healing magic can do whatever the plot needs it to - which results in the MC constantly yelling "heal" every other minute - is, it is consistent and makes sense in the world that the author constructed. What doesn't make sense is a group of reporters falling over themselves to interview the worst driver on the circuit. It is impossible to get lapped 20 times in a racing simulator, unless you are driving in the wrong direction. How do you not recognize your top two competitors who are always on the podium after every race? And despite that, those gripes are personal. That is why I hate the show. Just by virtue of being an edgy power fantasy, RoH is going to garner more fans despite (and sometimes, because of) its objectionable content.
Jun 22, 7:42 PM

Dec 2010
The CGI and visuals I can live with, but the series lacks excitement and energy that a real life race would have. I'm an avid watcher of F1 and WEC, and while those who don't get motorsports just see cars going fast in circles, the shaking of the onboards, the constant struggle of racers pushing cars to the limit and using every bit of track to get the best racing lines & weaving through slower traffic, braking zones to overtake, activating the DRS (or Revol boost) to gain an advantage...

NONE of that is carried over into Highspeed Etoile. Which is a huge shame as this show clearly has a lot of financial backing and sponsorships everywhere. You can tell the staff here LOVES motorsports - REX has a lot of inspiration from real life F1 racing from rules (yellow caution, blue flags yield to leaders, DRS/Revol boost etc.) but you can also tell they lack a cohesive direction and experience into putting all that into an exciting narrative that wants you to keep going.

This anime sadly became VERY vanilla that can't attract non-motorsport fans into it, and not interesting enough for gearheads like myself to stay focused.
Jun 22, 7:47 PM

Mar 2013
Not going to lie, the poster looks AI-generated.

Not that I saying it is, I am just saying this looks bad compared to the posters for Girls Band Cry.

So I watched the first episode, and it has a major problem most CGI anime have. Too many jump cuts. Like seriously, the "animation" is fine I suppose, but numerous jump cuts break any sense of immersion and upsets continuity. How am I suppose to know where these cars are in relation to each other and the track if they cannot focus on a single shot and angle for more than five seconds? Alpha-Nine is right, this is more of a montage.

Too many people abuse CGI's ability to easy do different angles quickly, and it becomes a disorienting mess.
PeripheralVisionJun 22, 8:03 PM
Jun 23, 11:47 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Between the 3d/AI (I didn't mind it personally - the artwork was nice), the facts that the cars in the races early on seemed to be moving really slowly, and the bumbling and stumbling of the plot in the early episodes, it was not well received at first.

However, The last 3 episodes of Highspeed was like watching a completely different anime. What makes it interesting is that it wasn't just a cut and change - they actually incorporated a lot of what she learned from the earlier episodes into it, so there was some thought put into it.

So, at the end of the day, if you can get through the frustration of the middle of this anime, it actually is half decent

More topics from this board

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 21

21 by Otakupervert890 »»
Aug 26, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 10 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 7

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 28, 12:32 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 11 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 14

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 28, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 8 Discussion

Aversa - May 24

11 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 27, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Highspeed Etoile Episode 7 Discussion

Aversa - May 17

16 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 27, 11:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.