Forum Settings
Forums

How long does it take you to find a new favorite anime?

New
Apr 12, 12:35 PM

Mar 2022
when I say "favorite" I mean a anime that goes into ur top 3. For me one piece remained my fav for 2 years then I found out about call of the night which went into my all time fav. Then around November I finished fate UBW then watched Heavens Feel which was the most beautiful thing I seen in my life so that became my new fav. But recently I finished bakemonogatari season 2 and that is now my second all time favorite.
Apr 12, 12:38 PM

Mar 2023
Probably decades. My favorites are not going anywhere in the near future.
Apr 12, 12:45 PM

Oct 2018
My favourite anime has been the same since the first time I watched it back in 2016
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Apr 12, 12:49 PM

May 2019
Rarely, because i'm very specific when it some to my particular tastes. My faves have been the same since 2015.
Apr 12, 12:51 PM

Jul 2015
The more you watch, you find better things than what you initially thought was the best. Depends how long, overall if a series does everything right it has a chance to enter my top chart. I'm not afraid nor emotional to get stuck on 1 thing overall, I find change interesting as well as important the more you delve deeper in any medium imo.
Apr 12, 12:59 PM

Jun 2023
I started watching from the best anime ever made. So I pretty quickly found my favourites. I mean not only top 3, but all 10/10. I doubt that I will find any new 10/10 anime soon. And I don't think even Frieren will be 10/10 for me because Frieren have incomplete story.
Apr 12, 12:59 PM

Oct 2019
Favourites as in "top 10" or favourite as in just favourites?

Cause I have like 40 anime that I consider favourites! and I add at least 3-4 to them every year.

If we go by top 10, IT REALLY depends.

I would say every time that it changes, the chances of it changing the next time becomes lower. I can see my n9 and n10 being replaced, but I love 1-8 too much, it would take something truly special to change that.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 12, 1:13 PM

Dec 2021
I wish I could see how many times I've edited my favorites. For some god forsaken reason, though, there's a May 2022 web archive of my favorites page, and like 12(WTF?! I'M A NOBODY, WHAT THE FUCK?!) for my profile, so I guess that means I can still do this and chronicle the changes to my favorites? So starting from April 2022 (Earliest archive), my favorites were...

1. Urusei Yatsura (Never changed position to this day)
  2. Yawara! (Never changed position to this day)
  3. Angel Heart (Never changed position to this day)
  4. City Hunter (Was originally fourth, is now fifth)
  5. Ashita no Joe (Was originally fifth, and swapped places with City Hunter around May 2022)
  6. Touch (Stayed here until July 2023, where it got pushed to seventh place for Ganbare Genki, and was replaced completely with Migi to Dali by some point very late in 2023)
  7. Ling Qi 2 (This one still resonates with me, but was sadly removed to make room for Ganbare Genki)
  8. Kyou kara Ore wa!! (Always stayed where it was)
  9. Jigoku Sensei Nube (Been here until around October 2022, where it was moved to it's current spot at 10)
  10. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Was here until October 2022, when it was removed to create a slot at 9 for the 2018 Gegege no Kitarou)

These changes were all pretty gradual, and honestly, I think this is the terminal state. I really don't see any way this could change.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Apr 12, 1:14 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
My top 3 is concrete and that is that. 86, Yuru Camp, and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho have remained within my top 3 ever since I watched them and it hasn’t changed since, and the possibility of them ever changing is nil.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Apr 12, 1:21 PM

May 2021
All anime mentioned by OP I really enjoyed, though I still haven't seen the Heaven's Feel movies. Favorite worthy anime are pretty hard to come by. I'm still an up and coming anime watcher so I'm sure after a few more years of content I'll find another favorite.
Apr 12, 1:24 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Zakception
The more you watch, you find better things than what you initially thought was the best. Depends how long, overall if a series does everything right it has a chance to enter my top chart. I'm not afraid nor emotional to get stuck on 1 thing overall, I find change interesting as well as important the more you delve deeper in any medium imo.
Zakception said:
The more you watch, you find better things than what you initially thought was the best.

That's interesting. I think most people (me included) are chasing that high from the early days and can almost never get that feeling back again.

Then again, you've watched WAY more anime than I have. Maybe when you reach a certain point it becomes easier to appreciate new things?
Apr 12, 1:29 PM

Jun 2020
It happens randomly, mainly because I don’t watch many any anime, so I never have the chance to get a lot of potential favorites. But the few I do watch I make sure that I will like them.

Even though a lot of them are modern, I think my favorites are pretty much set in stone except for Fruba season 2.
Apr 12, 1:34 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to perseii
Zakception said:
The more you watch, you find better things than what you initially thought was the best.

That's interesting. I think most people (me included) are chasing that high from the early days and can almost never get that feeling back again.

Then again, you've watched WAY more anime than I have. Maybe when you reach a certain point it becomes easier to appreciate new things?
@perseii I think it goes both ways because in your early days you get amazed by everything, don’t expect tropes, and are just a lot more invested into anime

The user you mentioned has been watching for a long time, which means that gradually over the years they would have gotten detached from their favorites even if they used to be in love with them. Also anime nowadays is just more varied and more likely to fit specific tastes and often very well produced
Apr 12, 2:07 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to Daviljoe193
I wish I could see how many times I've edited my favorites. For some god forsaken reason, though, there's a May 2022 web archive of my favorites page, and like 12(WTF?! I'M A NOBODY, WHAT THE FUCK?!) for my profile, so I guess that means I can still do this and chronicle the changes to my favorites? So starting from April 2022 (Earliest archive), my favorites were...

1. Urusei Yatsura (Never changed position to this day)
  2. Yawara! (Never changed position to this day)
  3. Angel Heart (Never changed position to this day)
  4. City Hunter (Was originally fourth, is now fifth)
  5. Ashita no Joe (Was originally fifth, and swapped places with City Hunter around May 2022)
  6. Touch (Stayed here until July 2023, where it got pushed to seventh place for Ganbare Genki, and was replaced completely with Migi to Dali by some point very late in 2023)
  7. Ling Qi 2 (This one still resonates with me, but was sadly removed to make room for Ganbare Genki)
  8. Kyou kara Ore wa!! (Always stayed where it was)
  9. Jigoku Sensei Nube (Been here until around October 2022, where it was moved to it's current spot at 10)
  10. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Was here until October 2022, when it was removed to create a slot at 9 for the 2018 Gegege no Kitarou)

These changes were all pretty gradual, and honestly, I think this is the terminal state. I really don't see any way this could change.
@Daviljoe193 Sick list! all of them are old as hell but that's cool asf
Apr 12, 2:10 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to Horizon248
All anime mentioned by OP I really enjoyed, though I still haven't seen the Heaven's Feel movies. Favorite worthy anime are pretty hard to come by. I'm still an up and coming anime watcher so I'm sure after a few more years of content I'll find another favorite.
@Horizon248 if you ever find the time to watch the heavens feel movies please try it! The first one might be a little slow as it sets up the story but 2 and 3 will be the most coolest thing you seen in your life(kinda being biased lol but I fr think that).
Apr 12, 2:16 PM

Aug 2011
My top 3 have been the same since 2008. I'm doubtful that they'll ever change, but who knows?
palm-treeApr 12, 2:20 PM
Apr 12, 2:26 PM

Aug 2020
Constantly, since I am still finding good older shows

Apr 12, 2:27 PM

May 2021
Reply to Chuckiemuffin
@Horizon248 if you ever find the time to watch the heavens feel movies please try it! The first one might be a little slow as it sets up the story but 2 and 3 will be the most coolest thing you seen in your life(kinda being biased lol but I fr think that).
@Chuckiemuffin alright I can respect the high praises. Yeah I think I will set aside a movie night sometime soon and check out the first movie. I've been meaning to watch it for quite a while just haven't made it happen. I liked Zero and UBW so I'm sure I'll enjoy the movies too.
Apr 12, 2:32 PM

Jul 2015
Reply to perseii
Zakception said:

@perseii Yeah for sure, It could happen as well like you said. I like to broaden my vision further to experience the maximum I can take then maybe I would settle for which ever made it at the finish line. I like anime a lot as a medium which makes it difficult to stay on the same page of favorites for a long time.
Apr 12, 5:20 PM

Feb 2021
Not sure. Frieren is so good but it's not on my favorite list.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 12, 6:29 PM
Oct 2019
JoJo and No Game No Life have been in my top 3 from the beginning, and Attack on Titan has been in my top 3 since the manga ended in 2021.

It's going to take something really special to replace any of them. There are a few series that have the potential (like Chainsaw Man, Re:Zero and One Punch Man), but they're not quite there yet
Apr 12, 7:27 PM
best user ever

May 2022
About 1-2 years, I only started actually getting into anime a few years ago and there's still a bunch of masterpieces and stuff for me to watch and try out.
inspirational quote inspirational quote - karioka
▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣

Apr 12, 7:29 PM
Oct 2019
If you mean top 3 never my top 3 never changed in 10 years.
Steins;Gate
Grisaia no Rakuen
No Game No Life
Apr 12, 8:01 PM

Nov 2023
Idk a year or two, but Im not really sure its unpredictable
Apr 12, 8:17 PM

Aug 2010
It changed so fast when I just started watching anime regularly, but now it's really hard to get a new favorite. My top 3 especially hasn't changed at all since 2012 and I doubt anything will change that anytime soon. I still hope to add a new favorite though.
Apr 12, 8:28 PM
Aug 2022
Well just a couple days ago when I finished Frieren.
Apr 13, 12:44 AM

Jan 2023
Maybe every couple of years I guess for my top 10, but a bit more rarely for my top 3.
Apr 13, 1:17 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
It's gonna be harder now due to what tends to be more popular plus myself getting more used to the tropes.

My faves featured are just a conglomeration of various things I really liked during different phases of my life. Most of them will always be there though
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ཐི♡ཋྀ «•«━━━━┙
Apr 13, 1:24 AM

Feb 2020
I'm pretty sure nothing's going to replace Star☆Twinkle Pretty Cure.
Apr 13, 3:04 AM

Jan 2019
it's been more than 4 years since an anime (Steins;Gate) has broken into my top 5, there hasn't been any exceptional anime I've watched ever since then
maybe Frieren might as I've read the manga and I've heard its anime is universally praised

and maybe I just haven't explored titles like Monster and Vinland Saga

my taste hasn't changed since 2020 so that's another thing, but I hope I'm able to experience another 10/10 anime soon
Apr 13, 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Idk, but what our favorite anime is is somewhat ambiguous
removed-userApr 25, 2:58 PM
May 26, 4:50 PM

Aug 2019
A long ass time. Series that I like to that degree aren't dropping into my lap every single day.
May 26, 7:40 PM
Oct 2019
It takes a while. My top 3 hasn't changed since 2021, when the Attack on Titan manga ended. It would take something incredibly special to dethrone any of my top 3.
May 26, 7:44 PM

Jul 2016
Getting longer and longer for me to find the next special series. My #1 was found in 2018, #2 was found in 2016, #3 was found in 2021. I'm due for a new top 3 anime in 2025 lol.
May 26, 8:02 PM

May 2024
I would agree it takes a lot longer than you would think?
It's fairly more difficult since there are a ton of Isekai tricks and tropes now
I'm new!
May 26, 8:15 PM

Oct 2023
It would be an awesome day when I change my top 3 because that will mean I found something quite amazing... When that will happen again? In the words of Frieren "Who can say?"

More topics from this board

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - Yesterday

41 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Unfair criticisms you can give any anime?

EmiliaHoarfrost - Yesterday

25 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

» If you could have 1 anime get licenced what would pick?

RareAnimeHunter - 54 minutes ago

2 by RainyEvenings »»
31 minutes ago

» InuYasha as an Isekai Narrative.

Hartm12 - 1 hour ago

4 by Hartm12 »»
34 minutes ago

» What do you think of split POV in romance anime?

Quadruple_Oi - 5 hours ago

10 by WaterMage »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.