Forum Settings
Forums

What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

New
Apr 11, 6:02 PM

Aug 2020
Ashita no Joe and Ojamajo Doremi Series.

Apr 11, 6:13 PM

Jun 2019
Barbie and Oppenheimer get grouped together?

That's the first time I'm hearing of such a phenomenon. I should state that I haven't seen either of those films, but am completely aware of the gist of what they're about and I find the idea of them being grouped together confusing and surprising, and am puzzled as to the basis of that.
Apr 11, 6:20 PM

Aug 2017
I have no idea of what Barbie and Oppenheimer are. I don't watch western stuff.

COTE and Monster
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 11, 6:24 PM

Dec 2021
Uh... hmm... Probably School Days and School Rumble [citation]? Heh, I dunno. Similar names is all it takes, I guess.

Also, if you tell a friend that School Days is just like School Rumble, you're a horrible friend.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Apr 11, 6:39 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to WatchTillTandava

That's the first time I'm hearing of such a phenomenon. I should state that I haven't seen either of those films, but am completely aware of the gist of what they're about and I find the idea of them being grouped together confusing and surprising, and am puzzled as to the basis of that.
@WatchTillTandava They were released in theaters the same day (or same weekend at least), and there was a lot of media talk months before about that. The idea of watching a double bill of both films went viral in social media, and I think it explains a not quite small deal of Oppenheimer's box office numbers.
Apr 11, 6:41 PM
Aug 2022
For me personally at least... Horimiya and Berserk 🥰
Apr 11, 6:42 PM
Aug 2022
But Actually though FLCL and Call of the Night, I think it's because they both give of a strong vibe about the show?
Apr 11, 6:51 PM

Jun 2019
jal90 said:
They were released in theaters the same day (or same weekend at least), and there was a lot of media talk months before about that. The idea of watching a double bill of both films went viral in social media, and I think it explains a not quite small deal of Oppenheimer's box office numbers.

Thanks - The image from your avatar of a frazzled or startled Rin Shima with smartphone in hand has never come off as more appropriate and fitting. I don't operate any social media accounts and just use forums and the like such as MAL, so you served as like an interpreter or window into that world.
Apr 11, 7:01 PM

Oct 2010
jal90 said:
They were released in theaters the same day (or same weekend at least), and there was a lot of media talk months before about that. The idea of watching a double bill of both films went viral in social media, and I think it explains a not quite small deal of Oppenheimer's box office numbers.

Thanks - The image from your avatar of a frazzled or startled Rin Shima with smartphone in hand has never come off as more appropriate and fitting. I don't operate any social media accounts and just use forums and the like such as MAL, so you served as like an interpreter or window into that world.
@WatchTillTandava Glad to help. It's something you had to be there to understand, because in retrospect it doesn't even make sense, the films are too different to even think of a coherent double bill. But they did feed each other quite a bit, it was in the end just a very successful marketing stunt.
Apr 11, 7:12 PM
Mar 2022
Believe it or not, both K-On and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood released at the same time Spring 2009
Apr 11, 7:23 PM

Jan 2021
Code Geass and Death Note, they aren't similar at all, but are always grouped together because they aired at the same time.
Apr 12, 7:31 AM

Feb 2016
skydrowner said:
first volume published in 2012. I fail to see how something like that could've been made to piggyback off of Madoka's success, considering how little of a time interval that is between the publishing date and Madoka's release.

You don't think a year is enough time to write a book?
その目だれの目?
Apr 12, 7:47 AM

Sep 2016

@WatchTillTandava https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbenheimer#Japanese_response

on topic:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/30/Shinseiki_Evangelion
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka_Magica

ZarutakuApr 12, 8:00 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 12, 7:51 AM

May 2021
I remember a time when Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul would be grouped together, usually in the context of people being more a fan of one versus the other
Apr 12, 8:40 AM

Mar 2023
DBZ, Sailor Moon and Pokemon since they started the whole anime boom in the US in the 90s.
Apr 12, 9:38 AM

Feb 2016

Oh yeah, Evangelion gets paired with everything. TTGL is a common counterpart because they're both mecha made by the same studio (but different directors).

I've also seen Evangelion paired with Revolutionary Girl Utena because they're both 90s anime with surreal parts.

Utena in turn gets paired with Princess Tutu because they're both darker shows made for girls, even though Utena is significantly less fantastical. The other tenuous connection is that both creators used to direct Sailor Moon.
LucifrostApr 12, 9:42 AM
その目だれの目?
Apr 12, 11:04 AM

Jul 2017
Anime:
Bocchi the Rock! and Chainsaw Man
Code Geass and Death Note
Kimi no Na wa and Koe no Katachi
Dragon Ball and Naruto
Cowboy Bebop and NGE

Non-anime movies:
Moonlight and La La Land
Barbie and Oppenheimer (also known as Barbenheimer lol)
Apr 12, 12:04 PM

Oct 2017
Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh are a huge one. Despite both series having collecting something as part of the world, having a card game that released after the animated series, sharing a few cast members in Japanese and most of the cast in English, and both being dubbed by 4Kids entertainment, they are not alike in any way. Yu-Gi-Oh has a much more plot-oriented focus and is much darker than Pokémon, which is more whimsical and overall, a bit more episodic with a few story episodes sprinkled in. Unlike Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't originally created as a tie-in to another product, as the manga was created well before the card game, while Pokémon started out as the Red and Green Version video games for the Game Boy and the anime was a tie-in to the video games.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 12, 9:55 PM

Feb 2016
Pokemon and Digimon are remembered for establishing the monster battling genre, though they have little else in common.

Digimon is about Japanese kids who travel to a monster world where they battle evil monsters. Primarily successful as an anime.

Pokemon depicts a fictional world in which kids catch monsters and raise them like pets. Games are successful even among those who don't watch anime.
その目だれの目?
Apr 13, 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. They're both set in space and take influence from Westerns but that's where the similarities end. They could not be more different tonally and aesthetically.
Take care of yourself

Apr 13, 1:18 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to jal90
@WatchTillTandava Glad to help. It's something you had to be there to understand, because in retrospect it doesn't even make sense, the films are too different to even think of a coherent double bill. But they did feed each other quite a bit, it was in the end just a very successful marketing stunt.
jal90 said:
in retrospect it doesn't even make sense, the films are too different to even think of a coherent double bill.

I think that was the point; they were paired together because they were so different. It was a bit of a meme how they were almost complete opposites in style, content, and target demographic.

If they had anything in common, it's that they were both "underdog" blockbusters, made by renowned directors with a distinct style, competing against the same-old Marvel movies and n-th sequels.
May 1, 3:10 AM

Nov 2019
solo leveling and jjk - Since they're on the same level of popularity and themes they'll get grouped up together but they both have different premises and wildly different characters
May 24, 9:24 PM

Aug 2019
"Jujustu Kaisen" and "Chainsaw Man." They have surface level commonalities, but are so different from each other in what the goals of each story is.

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

84 by mshfqtny »»
2 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

666 by ProGoddess »»
8 minutes ago

» How does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

7 by mshfqtny »»
13 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - 8 hours ago

50 by Rally- »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Isekai Anime Series one day surpass Mecha anime series in popularity and in the numbers game? What do you think?

RainyEvenings - 4 hours ago

10 by deg »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.