Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2023 10:00 AM

Jul 2017
The UFO research with the kidnapped kids of 10 years prior, the release of Rubber Suit, it was all intentional from the one who had seen it all: a MSS agent above the Marginal Service. But the latter group will not stand for what the UN has in store and will fight for the release of Zeno's son (Noah) who has aged considerably. But the efforts of activating the UFO has released the Gray Shock all over again.

With the alien mothership arriving, both humanity and Borderlanders must work together to fight off the aliens, and Rubber Suit has indeed prepared for this day as his Marginal Service, dubbed the Borderlander Service, with all former enemies of the humanity Marginal Service, all of their efforts were for the good of Earth, not the other way around. With the full plot, Brian and Zeno went ahead with the UFO to stop the aliens, with the classic Marginal explosion on the alien mothership.

A rather forgettable show aimed towards Americans that's made in Japan. What an epic fail.
KANLen09Jun 27, 2023 7:32 PM
Jun 27, 2023 12:17 PM
Sep 2015
For an anime that emphasize on buddy shipping, I don't feel much of the buddy aura, compare to recent examples like buddy daddies and high card, maybe it needs more episode, the gold standard "Tiger and Bunny" has 25 episodes in its first season after all.
Jun 27, 2023 1:56 PM
Apr 2021
This was the most wholesome bullshid ive ever watched no homo.
Jun 27, 2023 2:14 PM

Jun 2021
The leads didn't even get naked. What was even the point of this show?
Jun 27, 2023 5:24 PM
Feb 2019
Gay ahh show. I loved it
Jun 28, 2023 2:37 AM
Sep 2021
The movie Independence Day reference … luckily they weren’t sacrificed for Earth’s peace. Enojun voicing for teenage Noah is a mild surprise and I can recognize his voice right away!

This series was cheesy and cringe in the beginning and I grew to like it till the end, I definitely won’t mind watching S2 if there is one. I would rate 5.5/10 for the first couple of episodes to a 7/10 overall!
DabiXPLFJun 28, 2023 2:57 AM
Jun 28, 2023 6:00 AM

Sep 2013
Comfy show, going to be missed,

if there's an s2 which i doubt i'll watch it
Deep dark fantasies
Jun 28, 2023 8:11 AM

Feb 2021
This show was hilarious. Nothing made sense and this episode just felt like it's there to wrap up what is an unintentional surreal comedy.

2/10 for making me laugh really hard. This is the kind of anime you sit with friends to hatewatch and have a group laugh.
Jun 28, 2023 8:37 AM
Aug 2020
Ok this show was way better than I had expected from the initial complaints.
Jun 28, 2023 9:21 AM
Aug 2022
trash show.... didn't see the nakedness
Jun 28, 2023 1:59 PM

Sep 2021
A very good finale for this one. For a moment, I actually believed Brian and Zeno would die! I'm glad they didn't and got their happy end. It was a very packed episode though, I wish they had made some room, especially for Rubber's master plan.

Overall, the best comment for this show is "How to not do marketing". The first PV was like a male construction worker Ecchi and to the very end I couldn't find a synopsis for this show. Therefor I was kind of expecting something crazy, like this season's KamiKutsu, but that's not really what I'd call the Marginal Service

However, I still really liked the show. The plot around the factions of Aliens, Borderlanders, Marginal Service and the UN was very interesting. The was no clear "good" and "bad" for the characters, which I like a lot. The mystery around the Borderlanders was intriguing too!

For the characters, I'm a bit conflicted.
I actually liked the main characters, Brian and Zeno, the most, which is quite rare for me. Although their "buddy cop" relationship is nothing revolutionary, it was very well done. And after watching The Millionaire Detective I know that's not a given! Brian is just the right amount of goofy and Zeno is just the right amount of Tsundere for me to enjoy their bickering on their missions.
Unfortunatly, the supporting characters (Rubber and Lyra aside) didn't really get enough spotlight. Especially Cyrus remained very bland. And they didn't make enough use of Peck as a silly mascot.

Additionally, I'd give a shutout to the comedy, which was really funny most of the time! I loved the episode for Zeno's birthday and the wacky missions as much as the more serious episodes around the kidnapping incidents.

Overall, I believe the story writer, the voice actors and the animators did a really good job on this one. Unfortunatly, limiting it to 12 episodes (not enough time to highlight plot & characters appropriately) and selling it as who-knows-what really hurt the show.
Personally, I enjoyed it a lot and don't really see why so many people dislike it. 8/10.
Jun 28, 2023 5:30 PM

Sep 2007
i binged watched this anime in one day since i have a vacation and i'm not in the mood for something serious 

honestly i dont get the hate on it i mean its the type of story that you never take seriously.. it is made to be light and fun and its beyond me how can some people miss this obvious point

7/10 for me + really hoping for a second season 
Jun 29, 2023 5:57 AM

Mar 2012
It wasn't all that bad till the twist in the last 2 episodes and then the aliens, wasn't they supposed to be super advanced compared to humans, how come they were defeated so easily lol!?
Jun 29, 2023 9:43 AM

Sep 2022
It was so bad that i can't even be angry at it.
Jun 30, 2023 11:31 AM

Jun 2015
That ending is a masterclass of how you doing endings to something totally absurd!. The shout out to Independence Day, and a cheeky nod to Armageddon put the icing on the cake. Loved the reference to the old school carvings of ancient times, and a few of the borderliners could of been the gods of old that exist now. Maybe Borderliners are still among us, waiting for the next alien invasion. Who can say. Loved it. Excellent end to season!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jun 30, 2023 11:33 AM

Jun 2015
Maou_heika said:
It wasn't all that bad till the twist in the last 2 episodes and then the aliens, wasn't they supposed to be super advanced compared to humans, how come they were defeated so easily lol!?

Film Independence Day did it ;)
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 3, 2023 9:55 AM
Dec 2019
Great show, enjoyable
Jul 11, 2023 11:24 PM

Jan 2017
The finale for this absurd premise of humans and Borderlanders coexisting on Earth to hold off an alien invasion is very entertaining. Love the callback to the Marginal Service introduction but this time for the Borderlanders instead

Just a shame Rubber and co still had to be punished for their crimes even though it was for the sake of the entirety of Earth
Jul 20, 2023 2:55 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I just couldn't get into this. I couldn't get into the characters as much as I really wanted to... The logic of some episodes just bothered the heck out of me. They'd sometimes take a whole trope and just... not go beyond that for certain things. Like holy moly, Bolts was pretty much just protein and a dog while Peck was like the definition of an obnoxious mascot character. Lyra just...?? Bland. They tried to have something with Cyrus, but it just fell flat for me. In the end, I didn't really connect with any of the characters. And then Zeno was just... annoyingly standoffish at times I feel. Like I understand the whole losing your whole family thing, but you'd think that because of that maybe he'd actually care for certain people's well-being or something. It just felt kinda weird. They were trying so hard to make Brian relatable, but I think since the other characters felt so flat to me it just seemed like someone talking to cardboard cutouts most of the time. Rough.

And then the plot... Man, I just didn't care about what was going on-- and admittedly, I'm not much of an alien story person, but I was holding on hoping that it'd be one of those stories that could be an exception. Nope. Even worse... zombies. They managed to cram those in as well-- and though they weren't actually zombies, that's just about when I realized that this anime was packed with things I just didn't care for. Coupled with the not-so-great characters and writing, I knew this anime probably wasn't going to get better for me. Yet I tried. I did. I didn't even really like the comedy. I did like the OP and ED though.

This anime actually reminded me more of a western cartoon that just happens to be a joint production with Japanese collaborators or something-- or like a western cartoon that's trying very hard and doing pretty well at being Japanese. Which... is a weird way to describe it since it actually is an anime from Japan that seems to want to have a biiiit of a western cartoon feel sometimes. One anime I can think of that feels oddly similar (but which I like a lot better) is Monsuno which just happens to be a Japanese/American collaboration anime.

Overall, I just wasn't vibing. I hope others enjoyed themselves though.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 20, 2023 10:44 PM

Mar 2008
That was actually a pretty good ending for a pretty mediocre show. I like what it tried to do but it just didn't do it all that well. Most the jokes didn't hit with me. The movie references while amusing are hardly clever or original. Throughout the whole thing they kept giving mixed messages on whether it was anti immigrant propaganda or meant to make you more sympathetic of them, i know part of it was to keep you unaware of how it would end but it just makes little sense how characters act in this at so many points in time. 
traedJul 20, 2023 10:48 PM
Aug 2, 2023 8:49 AM
Apr 2021
As a person that defended it since ep1 ,though had to stop watching on ep7 since school and just got around to it ..ep10 ws great with the car gig so random and stupid ,otherwise i still im gonna defend it 

Like yes it is 1000% bad and shitty writing/story ,but its entertaining you dont see the time as you watch since so much is going on ,its an entertaining watch 7/10
Oct 1, 2023 5:09 PM

Aug 2022
Speaking for myself, I would say that The Marginal Service is the very definition of a guilty pleasure.

The marketing for the show probably doomed it to being exposed to the wrong audience, namely the yaoi/boys love demographic.

The show's current MAL rating of 5.5 is very harsh, especially considering a lot of mediocre seasonal anime *cough*isekai*cough* can somehow get away with having a 6.0+ rating on this site.

The lack of typical anime tropes in the series such as "cute girls doing _____ things" probably weakened the show's popularity. Whereas Lycoris Recoil and Akiba Maid War had a clear anime foundation, The Marginal Service is more in line with Western cartoons.

I suppose it did not help the show's popularity that its target audience seems to be those who grew up on summer action films from 1975-1999 - folks like myself. Judging from the reactions of those who did watch it, the show failed to reach that audience. I suppose anime viewers who are fans of cheesy action flicks from The Cannon Group are very few and far in-between. Maybe if the show referenced instead hot action films from the last 10 years like John Wick, probably audiences would not have missed out on the jokes.

And I think that The Marginal Service paying homage to pre 2000s summer action films in the vein of Western cartoons ultimately prevented it from being successful. Which is a damned shame as I feel this series deserves much more love. While it is not as terrible as the MAL 5.5 rating suggests, its no masterpiece either. It's a guilty pleasure anime that's an homage to old school popcorn movie entertainment.

Final verdict: 7.5/10... rounded off to an 8/10
Dec 10, 2023 6:37 AM

Dec 2022
Tbh the ending was just as ridiculous as I expected. So not disappointed at all!
Dec 11, 2023 11:52 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
Not that bad i think I'm quite enjoying it, still better then watching those sh*tty romance harem ecchi things

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Marginal Service Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 20, 2023

6 by katakumplat »»
Dec 9, 2023 3:00 AM

Poll: » The Marginal Service Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2023

6 by katakumplat »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:37 AM

Poll: » The Marginal Service Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 6, 2023

7 by katakumplat »»
Dec 4, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » The Marginal Service Episode 8 Discussion

AddaeAkono - May 30, 2023

8 by katakumplat »»
Dec 3, 2023 3:33 AM

Poll: » The Marginal Service Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 23, 2023

8 by katakumplat »»
Nov 27, 2023 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.