Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 7, 2021 2:20 AM
Nov 2018
Does anyone else see a romantic relationship between these two after seeing the movie? Because i don't, i only see their relationship as a father and a daughter but my friend sees them getting maried after the movie. Am i the only one who does this?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 7, 2021 2:53 AM
Feb 2021
The word “ aishiteru” that Gilbert said to Violet doesn’t usually be used in everyday conversations, people don’t use the word when they say “i love this food” or “i love this cloth”. It can only be used between lovers, in romantic relationships. Therefore I believe these two do have a romantic relationship between them
May 7, 2021 3:30 AM

Jan 2021
I see them as a romantic couple despite their age difference.
May 7, 2021 5:07 AM
Oct 2020
I don't see them in a romantic way but I could see why people could think that they are
May 7, 2021 7:10 AM

Jan 2020
at the very beginning i didn't see their love as romantic, i also felt like it was like a familiar kind of love but after finishing the anime, reading some fragments from the novel and seen their reunion and the way they talked to each other i got the feeling that they actually loved each other as a couple. i guess it depends on perspective.
fernandawithluvMay 10, 2021 10:15 PM
May 7, 2021 8:18 AM

Jan 2020
Ew. Shipping them is the very last thing I would ever do. That's disgusting

May 7, 2021 9:11 AM
Feb 2019
Someone didn’t stick around for the after credit scene
May 8, 2021 2:56 AM

Apr 2014
Whether people ship them or not it makes zero difference. I don't think the end was left for interpretation in the anime, considering the very specific word for "love" they used. And Violet's tears waterfall.
I say the anime because there was no doubt about it in the novel and the story continued afterwards.
May 9, 2021 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
Nah. There shouldn't be any romance between them. There are lots of other better men for Violet such as Leon.
May 9, 2021 6:49 PM
Apr 2021
are you kidding me, It's clear they love each other as couple,of course they will marry,go check the after credit scene.
You guys are blind if you don't see the romantic tension between them.
May 21, 2021 12:50 PM

Nov 2011
Itasuke_ said:
The word “ aishiteru” that Gilbert said to Violet doesn’t usually be used in everyday conversations, people don’t use the word when they say “i love this food” or “i love this cloth”. It can only be used between lovers, in romantic relationships. Therefore I believe these two do have a romantic relationship between them

Actually, it's not true and we have a perfect example in the series, with Gilbert's mother saying these exact same words (in Japanese, of course) about her son. "Ai" 愛 has a far deeper meaning than "suki" 好き or even "daisuki" 大好き, but it is not limited to romantic love.

However, here, it's not completely clear what Gilbert's feelings are, even more so concerning Violet's of course, and I prefer it that way. In the novel, Gilbert doesn't know how he truly feels about her even at the end. He cares deeply for her, that's enough for me.
KyragosMay 21, 2021 1:06 PM
May 22, 2021 11:13 AM

Sep 2015
Lmao ya all are weird, the age gap means nothing. Not only they are a couple but they also get married in the novel. I don't get it why you need to force a father-daughter relationship whenever an age gap is involved
Shiyuru99May 23, 2021 5:56 AM

“Now I have neither happiness nor unhappiness.

Everything passes.

That is the one and only thing that I have thought resembled a truth in the society of human beings where I have dwelled up to now as in a burning hell.

Everything passes.”
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
May 23, 2021 3:52 AM

Jan 2020
Shiyuru99 said:
Lmao ya all are weird, the age gap means nothing. Not only they are a couple but the y are also married in the novel. I don't get it why you need to force a father-daughter relationship whenever an age gap is involved

I'm sorry, they are WHAT?

Did I read a different thing? I'm so confused right now. If they are actually married I'm going to have to re-read!!!!!
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 23, 2021 7:09 AM
Apr 2021
samashi20 said:
Shiyuru99 said:
Lmao ya all are weird, the age gap means nothing. Not only they are a couple but the y are also married in the novel. I don't get it why you need to force a father-daughter relationship whenever an age gap is involved

I'm sorry, they are WHAT?

Did I read a different thing? I'm so confused right now. If they are actually married I'm going to have to re-read!!!!!

they got married at the end of the novel "Violet Evergarden Ever After(no english translation yet)"
MoneyMachineMay 23, 2021 7:15 AM
May 28, 2021 4:56 PM
Jan 2018
I didn’t see their relationship as romantic in the beginning but it definitely became that way :)
May 29, 2021 2:19 PM

Dec 2019
They definitely got marriage, we all have to use our imaginations and imagine the conclusion we best wish/want
May 29, 2021 5:54 PM

Mar 2019
I totally see them in a romantic way...I don't think the age difference is a problem as well. As long as there is love, it's fine. They finally found each other again after such a long time. They loved each other for a long time.

(also the very last scene can only give that way of feeling)
Jun 2, 2021 10:14 PM
Oct 2020
it's subjective. unlike what most people say, "aishiteru" isn't simply limited to love between lovers. it just denotes a much deeper, stronger feeling of love.

while i used to believe the relationship between them was simply that of a parent and a child, the impression is skewed because of this movie. many scenes and lines can be interpreted to come to the conclusion of a romantic love.

however, we must keep in mind that, while Violet is an optimal doll who has written no short of hundreds of love letters, she still doesn't have the most solid grasp on love and the different meanings of it. what she knows is her own form of love.

how we interpret the love between them based on what was depicted in the movie may be entirely different from the truth, or, it could be spot on.

basically, what i'm trying to say is, there is concrete backing to support both notions (of romantic and familial love).
Jun 5, 2021 12:36 PM
Feb 2020
Anybody who thinks they're not interested romantically is continuously diluting himself,
They are the most romantic couple I've seen in a long time u idiots
Jun 5, 2021 5:55 PM
Jul 2020
I love their relationship even if they are a couple. But even in the end they didn't mention whether they get married or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they got married. But we all know that they stayed together till the end of their lives
Jun 6, 2021 8:49 AM
Apr 2018
Didnt really enjoy the ending. They are like hugging violet is balling her eyes out while gilbert says i love you... we dont even see what happens after. Such a letdown.
Jun 10, 2021 3:44 PM
Apr 2021
Saying those two didn't feel romantic love towards each other is like saying the skies aren't blue. They clearly loved each other deeply, got married (pinky promise to be together forever at the end of the credits) and they maybe even had kids (depends how you interpret the role of the older guy from the post office at the end of the movie but he sure looked a lot like Gilbert to me). I don't understand why everything has to be mentioned, they are obviously in love. And there are happy couples with age differences out there.
Jun 13, 2021 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
TrashTasteOnline said:
Nah. There shouldn't be any romance between them. There are lots of other better men for Violet such as Leon.
Leon is no better than Gilbert tbh and Violet never liked Leon, he only appeared in one eps throughout the story. and also if you are concerned about the age gap, it did not apply at that time. you remember where the eps of the princess who fell in love with a man who was much older than her.
Jun 13, 2021 11:34 AM
Jul 2018
Only a fool would think that these two have no romantic feelings.
Jun 13, 2021 12:06 PM
Dec 2017
I haven't read the novel yet, but I definitely sensed the tension between them. The fact that Violet wanted to say I love you but couldn't because of her lack of understanding of the feeling yet. I mean, it could've started off as a guardian-ward relationship but it clearly developed into something else. The post-credit scenes just delivered it all. And the post-office guy was definitely their son or grandson idk lol he did the same thumbs-up as Violet, had both of their physical traits and their stuff was laying around, like her ribbon, writting machine, etc
Jun 30, 2021 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
At this point please stop saying that they have a father daughter bond.It's just creepy.And at this point if anyone is deluding themselves by saying they have a father daughter bond it's on them.Gilbert and Violet had a platonic love at first then it turned into a romantic one.Violet literally says in the light novella she loved Gilbert way before he said I love you.And her journey was about discovering different types of love.She understood what type of love Gilbert was talking about and chose to return it.Her only dream was to see the places she has been to with the major by her side.It's their love story.
Jul 5, 2021 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
Didn't see it as romantic at first but now it definitely is
Jul 5, 2021 4:04 PM

Apr 2020
I see them living together as a couple, but probably not as a married couple. The power dynamic is so different since the last time they were together that I think it works well as a romance.
Jul 6, 2021 3:08 AM
May 2021
everyone saying they don't have problem with the age difference but he raised her like a dad would a daughter lmao weird af
Jul 6, 2021 3:29 AM

Mar 2020
Its a canon relationship though...Its not a ship made by the viewers
Also it kinda makes sense since they both were the closest to each other though i was kinda surprised ngl
Aug 24, 2021 11:25 PM

Dec 2007
Kyragos said:
Itasuke_ said:

Actually, it's not true and we have a perfect example in the series, with Gilbert's mother saying these exact same words (in Japanese, of course) about her son. "Ai" 愛 has a far deeper meaning than "suki" 好き or even "daisuki" 大好き, but it is not limited to romantic love.

However, here, it's not completely clear what Gilbert's feelings are, even more so concerning Violet's of course, and I prefer it that way. In the novel, Gilbert doesn't know how he truly feels about her even at the end. He cares deeply for her, that's enough for me.

I know this is a little old, but I recently saw the TV series and movie and loved them both. I guess I'm in the camp that the love between Violet and Gilbert was romantic.

I do see this argument come up against it though and I find it to be very misleading at best. Sure Aishiteru isn't used 100% just for romantic feelings of love, but is it usually, yes. It's a little weird in other contexts. In the scene with the mother, the subject is never stated. The mom never says "I" love him. It's left out completely, obviously on purpose. The scene with the mother basically can be read like this: "that boy lives. in heart. that's why ___ won't forget, even when's it's hard, will still remember, because love him". So it's open to interpretation.

And in that scene you can pretty safely say that the mother is trying to comfort Violet. So most likely the mother is referring to "we", her and Violet or even just Violet, though most likely both. And in the scene after the mother says that, Violet replies "hai". Basically just affirming "yes ,we / I love him". It's seen as the mother comforting Violet or giving her advice / help, seeing as how much Violet misses her son. But if you want to say that scene is the mother saying "I love my son" then how do you see this scene actually? Here's a girl absolutely wrecked over Gilbert being gone and the mother is just like, "well he's not dead for me! i love him!, ha!". It's more likely that the mother could be saying "love" on Violet's behalf than for herself, but most likely "we". But one thing, she certainly isn't using Aishiterue in the sense of "I love him". Giving the context of the moment.

So, in short this is very, very different from when Gilbert directly says it to her so saying "but his mom using it so it's not romantic" is misleading at best or just wrong. I will say that you could perhaps hear Aishiteru when it comes to a doting superior. So that argument would hold more ground for me. But honestly, when you watch them I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't see it as romantic.

And I mean then there is the whole movie confession. I mean if you have two people saying, "don't cry or I'll cry" you know how this is. I've never read the novels so I don't know if the TV show and movie play with things, but from the TV and then especially the movie these are scene as romantic love confessions. I mean that's not even mentioning how she stays and lives with him on the island together.
vault-dwellerAug 24, 2021 11:29 PM
Aug 28, 2021 4:48 PM

Jul 2019
Isn't Violet 14 tho
Aug 28, 2021 7:09 PM

May 2021
Rojaseb said:
Isn't Violet 14 tho

She's 18 in the sequel movie
Sep 18, 2021 3:40 PM
Jul 2019
I can never see their relationship as romantic tho,I know they're canon couple but that doesn't matter a shit to me it's so freaking weird to even imagine their 'romance' coz he was shown as her father figure which was the only image i had during in the anime, some are saying age doesn't matter it really doesn't to me also but it's not the age Gap buy the fact that Violet was 14 years old teenagers,10 when he said "I love you"
If Violet would have 17-18 old in the anime then it could be another case but now I can't see them couple that's so disgusting to me...
Flamestriker101Sep 18, 2021 3:45 PM
Oct 14, 2021 11:45 PM
May 2021
Old thread I know, but just wanted to add that although I agree it's clearly romantic, I do feel conflicted on it. Since Gilbert was basically a father figure in her days in the military, this feels a lot like grooming.
Oct 15, 2021 12:39 AM
Aug 2020
Rojaseb said:
Isn't Violet 14 tho
she's 18 in the movies
Oct 15, 2021 12:40 AM
Aug 2020
dzmetal said:
Old thread I know, but just wanted to add that although I agree it's clearly romantic, I do feel conflicted on it. Since Gilbert was basically a father figure in her days in the military, this feels a lot like grooming.
grooming is not a taboo in that years sadly
Oct 15, 2021 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
Apparently they got married in some "Ever after" novel thing so suck on that I guess if it makes you uncomfortable. Gilbert aside, I think Violet is pretty much incapable of loving anyone else at this point. Not romantically anyway. So it's either this or clinging to his memory forever while focusing on other people's happiness.
I like this ending for her though. Kissing immediately really wouldn't be in character for either of them and Violet not being able to express her feelings using words but instead relying on a letter to get through to Gilbert fits the overall theme of the show.
So overall I'm pretty satisfied.
Oct 16, 2021 12:47 PM

Jul 2019
Oh no, my western ass can't take it
Oct 16, 2021 1:12 PM

Nov 2020
I somehow agree with u........

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Oct 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Aug 2011
I see them as more familial but the way they both said I love you at the end makes me think otherwise
desu desu binches
Oct 21, 2021 11:54 PM
Feb 2015
I was really grossed out by the romance. Gilbert met Violet when she was what, 10? 12? He named her, educated, did everything a father figure would do and now that she's 18 he wants to bang her? And considering that, did he already loved her romantically by the time of the war, when she was still 10? It's f*cking disgusting
KenokiriOct 21, 2021 11:58 PM
Oct 21, 2021 11:58 PM

May 2020
I appreciate the open-ended approach KyoAni took towards Violet and Gilbert’s relationship. They left it to the viewer to decided whether they wanted it to be romanticised or not. Which is a good thing given the questionable age gap between the two.
Oct 23, 2021 11:48 PM
Feb 2021
SamXHat said:
I appreciate the open-ended approach KyoAni took towards Violet and Gilbert’s relationship. They left it to the viewer to decided whether they wanted it to be romanticised or not. Which is a good thing given the questionable age gap between the two.
I mean, they tried to leave it as open as they could, but it’s pretty obvious to understand what happened lol. It’s a romantic relationship, in the light novel they even confirmed and they are married. So yeah, it’s romantic but they ended right when they meat each other again. The age thing is weird, but it was “normal” fro that time, Violete even said she didn’t really care about age gap during the anime when she goes to write a love letter for that princess.
Oct 24, 2021 5:00 AM

May 2020
brenobluhm said:
SamXHat said:
I mean, they tried to leave it as open as they could, but it’s pretty obvious to understand what happened lol. It’s a romantic relationship, in the light novel they even confirmed and they are married. So yeah, it’s romantic but they ended right when they meat each other again. The age thing is weird, but it was “normal” fro that time, Violete even said she didn’t really care about age gap during the anime when she goes to write a love letter for that princess.

Yeah I agree, it's pretty easy for the viewer to figure out. I personally wish Violet would've gotten with someone else like Leon or something.
SamXHatOct 24, 2021 5:14 AM
Oct 30, 2021 2:01 PM

Jun 2019
NaCreamy said:
Does anyone else see a romantic relationship between these two after seeing the movie? Because i don't, i only see their relationship as a father and a daughter but my friend sees them getting maried after the movie. Am i the only one who does this?

I also saw them as daughter and father or older brother and lil sister. But I can see why people feel like they having a romantic relationship, escpacially after the ending of the movie. I personally find it weird, that gilbert was like about 15 years older than violet (she was just about 10 when they met), he raised her, taught her to read and write, and treated her like a daughter ... I'd find it strange if he had romantic feelings for her, as if he had grown his future love. especially when you consider that violet was very manipulable at the beginning of their relationship. It's like a guy in his twentys would adopt a 10yo child and when she turns 18 he wants to marry her... idk, but thats just feels sooo wrong. that gives me pedophile vibes. But when you see their relationship as a father daughter or brother sister relationship, I don't find it strange anymore.

ManWild said:
Ew. Shipping them is the very last thing I would ever do. That's disgusting

abslutely agree. raising a 10 yo child to marry her when she tun 18 would be so dusgusting... Idk why so many ppl are totally okay with that.

Shiyuru99 said:
Lmao ya all are weird, the age gap means nothing. Not only they are a couple but they also get married in the novel. I don't get it why you need to force a father-daughter relationship whenever an age gap is involved

my problem isn't the age gap in general. it's the fact, that he raised her like a daughter... he met her while she was around 10. It's like a guy adopts a 10yo just to marry her when she turns 18. Sorry, its just my opinion, but that gives me pedophilic vibes... thats why I see them as father and daughter or brother and sister.

But as I said, its just my opinion.

anonymous_fan said:
Saying those two didn't feel romantic love towards each other is like saying the skies aren't blue. They clearly loved each other deeply, got married (pinky promise to be together forever at the end of the credits) and they maybe even had kids (depends how you interpret the role of the older guy from the post office at the end of the movie but he sure looked a lot like Gilbert to me). I don't understand why everything has to be mentioned, they are obviously in love. And there are happy couples with age differences out there.

The age diffrence isn't a problem in general. My problem is just, that gilbert raised her like a daughter while she was a kid. It's a huge diffrence if a girl with 18 met a guy 15 older than her and loving him, or a guy adopting a child just to marry her when she turns 18.
As I said, I dont have a problem with the age gap in general, it's just the fact, that kids are manipulable and he was the only person who treat her like a human being... sure she got feelings for him... but he shouldn't bc that's pretty pedophilic in my personal opinion. No offence or something, just my thoughts.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

KuniiMay 2, 2022 6:44 PM
Nov 11, 2021 3:31 AM
Feb 2021
Yeah as some people said, the age gap to me is weird because of the prior relationship they had. I just prefer seeing it as a familial love and I think that can work just as well as a romantic one.

But yh with canon explanations, I guess you’ll see people leaning towards romance but is it romance if you had to parent them years ago?
Nov 13, 2021 8:48 PM
Nov 2016
Relationships can change. It started off as family, developed into romantic feelings at the end. It's clearly stated that she's 18 by the end of the series so it doesn't matter anyway.
Nov 13, 2021 9:01 PM
Nov 2016
_weyhxx said:
anonymous_fan said:

The age diffrence isn't a problem in general. My problem is just, that gilbert raised her like a daughter while she was a kid. It's a huge diffrence if a girl with 18 met a guy 15 older than her and loving him, or a guy adopting a child just to marry her when she turns 18.
As I said, I dont have a problem with the age gap in general, it's just the fact, that kids are manipulable and he was the only person who treat her like a human being... sure she got feelings for him... but he shouldn't bc that's pretty pedophilic in my personal opinion. No offence or something, just my thoughts.

It's by definition not pedophilic because they're both over 18 but I can see where you're coming from. However, you have to keep in mind that they were apart for several years before this point so Gilbert was absolutely not grooming her. Besides, it's not like they immediately got married. It's likely that the feelings turned truly romantic years after the end of the movie. For me this is totally fine. At least it's not mushoku tensei
Nov 13, 2021 9:21 PM

Jan 2020
the romance is arguably the weakest part of violet evergarden for me. what makes the original run a 10/10 for me was how it managed to tug the heartstrings of many from just a series of bittersweet episodic stories.

aside from violet herself, it doesn't really help the fact that we have minimal investment on gilbert as a her love interest too. other from that ambiguous expression of love at the beginning, there wasn't enough development for him as a character to build a compelling romance off of. we got shown a few glimpses of that in the film, but in the end, it wasn't enough, and the sudden spark of romantic affection from him felt a little bit shoehorned for me.

eh but violet deserves happiness, so I'm happy for her.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

324 by Weasel244 »»
May 21, 1:27 AM

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

104 by EntireInternet »»
Mar 24, 2:33 PM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.