Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 10:53 PM

Jul 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Chapter didn't feel that emotional for me; felt it quite lacking, I suppose. Now how shall the movie fare?

edit: gdi, CR didn't include the page I commented; removed img

Stark700 said:
So I guess Tuesdays are a pivotal point in this chapter now?
Ironically, CR releases on Tuesday.
AnaSep 2, 2014 6:51 PM
Sep 2, 2014 5:49 PM

Nov 2011
So I guess Tuesdays are a pivotal point in this chapter now? All the emotions...
Sep 2, 2014 8:26 PM

Jul 2010
orithyea said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Chapter didn't feel that emotional for me; felt it quite lacking, I suppose. Now how shall the movie fare?

edit: gdi, CR didn't include the page I commented; removed img

Stark700 said:
So I guess Tuesdays are a pivotal point in this chapter now?
Ironically, CR releases on Tuesday.

Well, I found it quite emotional. I was nearly tearing up by the end of the chapter. The dream section where she dreams of a "happy version" of elementary school where she everyone is friendly and her father is still with them, followed by her waking up in her current, disheveled and broken state in tears... that is just ... powerful.

She sure as hell better not be heading back out to that balcony to try again! (Especially since she knows that it isn't an instant kill and she might end up alive and feeling like more of a burden on everyone!)

It is interesting that they day of the week that they met on regularly is the same day the magazine is published. I wonder if the mangaka choose that on purpose, or if it was just a coincidence.
Sep 2, 2014 8:42 PM

Jan 2014
[size=120]"Before the girl knew it, 'Tuesdays' had given her life meaning. Full of overwhelming emotions..."[/size]

That imagining of a nice childhood, and then near the end, when reality crashed on her, I shed a tear or two. I would say somthing about Tuesdays and the release date, but I don't know if this is an intentional thing or not, and if it is, it's a pretty interesting thing. Now I await next Tuesday with anticipation :I
Hi Friends
Sep 2, 2014 8:47 PM

May 2013
Seeing that dream as what it would probably be like if the circumstances were different was kinda sad.
Sep 2, 2014 10:15 PM

Sep 2011
I hope she is going to see Ishida at the hospital or something and not back to the balcony.
Sep 3, 2014 1:26 AM

Dec 2013
Wow. What a chapter. It was a little heartbreaking watching her dream(?) about how she wished her childhood had been, and then waking up in tears. With all that Shouko has been through, I feel that she absolutely deserves happiness, ideally greater than or proportionate to all of the hardship/bullshit that she has put up with so far.

As for the last page, I don't think anyone needs to worry. I don't think she'd need to put on her shoes if she planned on jumping off of another balcony. Also keep in mind that her families house is on one of the upper floors of that building, so the balcony in the last panel is just part of the background. Not sure why her going to see Ishida wasn't the first thing that came to mind, considering her thoughts on the preceding 2-3 pages.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Sep 3, 2014 1:40 AM
Mar 2013
Wait.. So Shimada and Hirose called the cops, right?
Sep 3, 2014 3:01 AM

Dec 2013
lowlight said:
Wait.. So Shimada and Hirose called the cops, right?

Apparently they did. I think it was also mentioned in the last chapter as well while Ueno was on the phone. I'd re-read the last chapter for confirmation, but it's 3 a.m, I'm tired, and I've got classes in a few hours. Still though. I'm almost positive it was mentioned.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Sep 3, 2014 4:12 AM

Jan 2014
yeah it was mentioned on the Ueno chapter
Sep 3, 2014 5:05 AM

Jul 2012
It was more like they saved Ishida when he falled into water.

Really sad chapter, she wanted normal life and look what did she get. I'm worried about what wii happen next, she may go jump again, especially that she reminisced all her life, and pretty much said goodbye to Ishida in her dream. And chapter ended with her going to the balcony.
MisiakkSep 3, 2014 5:14 AM
Sep 3, 2014 5:32 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
when it transitioned from her younger self in the bed to her older self crying, I teared up. I can't imagine what she has been going through, and what she truly wanted. I am super scared to read the next chapter.. Nishimiya is starting to look.. 'broken'.
Sep 3, 2014 7:30 AM

May 2012
Shouko's gonna kiss the snowhite.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 3, 2014 7:48 AM
Oct 2007

Well.

It can't get worse. Right?

Stark700 said:
So I guess Tuesdays are a pivotal point in this chapter now? All the emotions...

Tuesday was the day that Ishida had wanted to kill himself before changing his mind and meeting up with Shouko.
It was also the day that they were supposed to meet weekly to feed the fish.
Normal well-adjusted human being
Sep 3, 2014 9:28 AM

Jul 2010
Shirubaasouru said:

If she can sneak into the hospital and do that, it would be epic! (Cliche, but epic none the less. I hope she has practiced saying "I love you" since her last attempt. She has a distinct need to have him hear her voice say those words, obviously, since she could have signed it when he didn't understand the first time she confessed.)
Sep 3, 2014 8:17 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Shirubaasouru said:
That would be adorable.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Sep 3, 2014 10:37 PM
Jun 2014
Thought the same thing I just hope nothing gets in the way I really want to see the reunion already it's been dragging on for far too long. I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those things were they don't see each other until the movie is over.
Sep 4, 2014 12:41 AM

May 2013
Don't worry Shouko, I didn't understand what are they saying too.

It would be very nice if this chapter gave you a POV, not just a third person told this chapter.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 4, 2014 12:23 PM

Oct 2011
This chapter was SO good. To me it feels really emotional, and the art was breathtaking. One of my favorite chapters.
Naruleach said:
Shirubaasouru said:
That would be adorable.

I would love that. I don't care if it is cliché D:
SweetCoconut said:

It would be very nice if this chapter gave you a POV, not just a third person told this chapter.

Same to me. I want to see things with Nishimiya's point.
Sep 4, 2014 6:49 PM

Feb 2014
Lol that Shoko POV. Love her look of despair, looks pretty nice in this chapter haha

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Sep 5, 2014 11:58 AM

Jul 2013
wow this chapter was really heavy imo. the childhood fantasies contrasting with the harsh reality she lived, how tuesdays became so important to her, ishida visiting her in her dream - i think this was one of my favorite chapters in the series.
Sep 5, 2014 10:47 PM

Oct 2009
this anime has been a bit underwhelming due to my expectations.

however, i admit that this chapter was pretty powerful.
Sep 6, 2014 8:58 AM
Jan 2014
Definitely one of the best chapters in a long time. I also really loved Nishimiya's expressions.
Sep 7, 2014 5:39 AM

Jul 2013
Shoko's pretty broken right now, I can't help but to tear up evertime she cries. Hopefully everything will be alright.
Sep 9, 2014 8:38 AM

Apr 2013
This chapter is so fucking real man. Jesus this mangaka is awesome.
Sep 10, 2014 2:11 AM

Aug 2013
Wow. I knew there was going to be a chapter in her POV but I didn't expect it to have garbled words to represent her hearing impairment. That was really something. And the dreams of a happy childhood...*sniff*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 10, 2014 3:31 AM

Oct 2009
Didn't expect a powerful chapter like this one!
Nov 26, 2014 6:42 AM

Sep 2012
So that was what Shouko see and hear, looks hard for me.

Nice chapter.
Oct 11, 2015 11:58 AM

Jan 2013
Very powerful chapter. I was tearing up by the time she woke up.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Nov 20, 2015 8:17 AM
Aug 2007
Goddamn what an amazing chapter.... the ending had me in tears ("See ya, Nishimiya" spoken by Shoya as if he's leaving her for good...)
Nov 26, 2015 11:06 AM

May 2015
Very interesting way to show Shouko's POV. I could make out what they were saying if I read it carefully, but Shouko doesn't get the luxury of analyzing what they're saying. There words come fast, and she can't carefully go over each word like we can while reading it.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
May 6, 2017 1:59 AM

Dec 2014
I hope Shouko kets together with Ishida...Ishida wake up already
Sep 23, 2017 7:47 PM
Apr 2016
Is it me or was she imagining a wonderful life?
May 21, 2019 9:00 AM

Feb 2019
One of the best chapters of this volume so far. It was real emotional for me.

At first, I was confused on the dream. Was it her perspective of events? But it seemed unreal. I only realised it was a dream when her father came home. That instantly made my eyes water. She was imagining what an ideal, normal life would be. She could hear, she could talk, she could sing, she could be friends with everybody, her father would be there. I didn't realise that the absence of her father really affected her, but I guess I should've since I think it does affect everyone who experiences it. All she wanted was normal, simple, happy life, nothing more. But because of her disability, she couldn't get that.

The part where she goes to sleep as her younger self, and then the next panel is her today waking up, hair all messed up, tears streaming down her cheeks, and her arm still broken. Damn, I teared up there. Really pulled my heart strings. She looked disheveled and in pain and suffering. She looked... broken. I can't imagine how it feels to live with a disability and having to deal with everything that comes from it. It's even worse when you realise that she must blame herself for having that disability that her father left, since that's really the reason why her father left. If she hadn't had that disability, she would have a father.

That dream she had of Ishida was so foreboding. It felt like she was seeing a vision. It felt like Shoya is going to... die. I'm pretty sure she's not going to commit suicide or jump. From everything that was being shown, the dream sequence, the Shoya dream, her face, her reactions, and her actions show that she's not going to the balcony to jump. She's going out because she thinks Shoya might be about to die. So I think the next chapter will see her go to Shoya, or trying to do something about what she saw. And I think Shoya's going to wake up.

Also, I thought the garbled language was an excellent part of this chapter. I did not expect the author to write even the dialogue from Shoko's perspective. I love how even through a manga where you can't hear anything, we get to experience how Shoko sees and hears the world. That dream sequence has even more significance when you realise that even in that idealised dream, all the language is still garbled. This is because she doesn't KNOW what normal sounds like, what she knows is only what she's heard, and what she's heard is only through her imperfect hearing. So even in an idealised dream, that's the language she imagines. And I think that just makes it so much more sadder.

In conclusion, a powerful and emotional chapter. Can't wait to see how it develops further.
Sep 26, 2019 8:19 AM

Jun 2015
gosh the panel where she sleeps as a kid in her dream world then wakes up crying in her actual world hit so hard
Oct 29, 2021 9:39 PM

Jan 2021
That dream sequence on what could of been broke my heart.
Apr 4, 2023 11:10 AM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Not fair, this is not fair

Jun 19, 5:38 AM
Sep 2016
How the hell is this chapter not included in the movie?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2013

33 by Somua327 »»
Jun 10, 9:26 PM

» Complete JSL Translations for Koe no Katachi

Croseus - Feb 3, 2023

4 by Seansy »»
May 27, 9:53 PM

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

10 by removed-user »»
May 18, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 10 Discussion

LucarioDude - Nov 5, 2013

35 by Saiunknown »»
Apr 30, 5:48 PM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maerow - Nov 15, 2014

291 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.