Forum Settings
Forums

I'm looking for an anime to watch with a well written female protagonist/lead. Any suggestions?

New
Dec 18, 2013 5:32 AM

Dec 2013
Title explains it all, friends.

The genre of anime I tend to get the most out of are the following; Action/Adventure, Sci-fi, Psychological/Mystery, Drama, and Slice of Life. With those in mind, however, I do find myself enjoying the occasional Mecha series, as well as more Magic/Superpower oriented shows, though as of late, I've grown tired of Superpowers/Magic.

To further elaborate, I will provide a list of female characters I've enjoyed, and loathed. 5 er 10 each, depending on how many I can think of at the moment.

So first off, here are the female leads/characters I've enjoyed and why, in no particular order:

1. Maka Albarn from Soul Eater. From the very first episode of the show, Maka caught my attention. She was young, but seemed wise beyond her years, as if she had been at this for some time. She was very no nonsense, and wielded her Scythe partner Soul Eater Evans with deadly efficiency. I very much enjoyed this side of her, as well as her much weaker, more emotional side during later parts of the show, and more so, the manga. Her relationship with Soul was well written, and her personality was as unique as the series she hails from. A tactful thinker with a quick wit and a loving personality makes Maka Albarn one of my all time favorite female leads.

2. Izumi Konata from Lucky Star. Konata is that anime geek we all know (or happen to be) that we may call odd or strange, but deep down find her (or him) endearing and entertaining. With an otaku sense of humor, comical laziness, and all around abundance of raw charm, Konata reminded me so much of myself it was almost scary. Always able to make me laugh and smile, she wont soon be forgotten.

3. Kuchiki Rukia from Bleach. Originally intended to be the lead of Bleach, it's easy to see why she should have stayed the lead. Dont get me wrong, Ichigo is cool and all, but ive seen his type over and over. Rukia is a strong willed woman who doesnt get the credit she deserves, or the level of power (Im talking to you, Kubo). Always there to keep Ichigo's head on straight, Rukia provided a voice of solid reason to Ichigo's teenage angst. While she may not be a big favorite of mine, she does stand out as a well written character to me.

4. Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist. I dont need to go much into detail about Riza, do I? Everything about her is just so perfectly written and designed by Hiromu Arakawa for this masterpiece of a series. The ultimate female soldier as I like to call her, Riza is easily one of my favorite female characters, even if she isnt the central lead of the series. Her intelligence and battle skill put her on a pedestal few, if any, are ever going to reach. Her relationship with the other characters, namely Roy Mustang and Winry Rockbell, captivated me from the start, and never let go. To see things all work out for her and the gang was truly inspiring at the end of the show, and I could watch her all day long. Riza Hawkeye is right up there with Maka from Soul Eater to me.

5. Yuuki Asuna from Sword Art Online. Not only is Asuna NOT a damsel in distress, but shes not just a piece of ass for our lead Kirito either! Asuna is an intelligent, skillful warrior, with a strong head and an even stronger, loving heart. Her relationship with Kirito is the best relationship in anime history in my opinion, as they are truly meant for each other, and I felt every word of love they spoke to each other ring true and heart felt. That said, there would be no Kirito without Asuna. She willed him on, she stood by his side, she fought to the death with and for him, she was utterly devoted to him through it all. That alone earns her a spot very high on my list of favorite girls.

Now then, for the list of girls I hate from anime, once again in no particular order:

1. Revy from Black Lagoon. That's right. I cant stand Revy. She is a skilled gunman, yes, but that's all. Her attitude is the same as every other street punk I had to grow up with, and it sickens me. Her language is repulsive as well, and I dont mind cursing. She simply curses THAT much. On top of all that, her ethics just straight up bother me, and I dont find the show Black Lagoon any good as a whole either. She's on my shit list, and will stay there for her lack of any redeeming qualities, aside from gun skill, which doesnt matter too much to me.

2. Major Mokoto from Ghost in the Shell. Nothing is wrong with her actions, ideals, or anything like that. I just find the woman boring. Flat line boring. She's your every day soldier, and acts as robotic as she is. The series Ghost in the Shell is the same way for me. Interesting concepts, but boring execution for my tastes. Not much to her, not much to her series.

3. Yuno from Mirai Nikki or any other "psycho" chick. Sorry guys, im not the biggest fan of "psycho" chicks. They arent scary or threatening to me. They actually bore me in the same way Major Mokoto bores me. Yuno's actions arent shocking to me, nor are they impacting, and the same goes for similar characters like the chick from Elfen Lied that I cant remember the name of. Psycho chicks are boring, and a lot of the times, too over-the-top to be scary.

4. Shana from Shakugan no Shana. At first, she was just your average anime girl lead. Everything she said or did, I expected her to do. The problem is, she never deviates from this path. She was too average and normal for me, and the same goes for her powers and the series Shakugan itself. Just plain and average, and so is Shana.

5. Aria from Hidan no Aria. Dear God, this little girl annoyed the living hell out of me. What a powerless mess of a character with one of the most annoying catchphrases ever. She was childish, loud, extremely obnoxious, and downright mind numbingly weak and stupid against her opponents. Didnt even get through the first 3 episodes before I said "fuck this shit" to the show and to Aria.

Now that my rant is over, I believe ive given all the necessary information for the users of myanimelist.com to assist me according to my request. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions given :)

***EDIT***

I forgot to mention that any elements of Yuri, be it implied or flat out factual to the series, are greatly welcomed, and preferred if possible.
RiverOfGarrusDec 18, 2013 6:43 AM
Dec 18, 2013 5:39 AM

Dec 2013
Jormungand
Dec 18, 2013 5:44 AM

Mar 2008
RiverOfGarrus said:
Not only is Asuna NOT a damsel in distress, but shes not just a piece of ass for our lead Kirito either! Asuna is an intelligent, skillful warrior, with a strong head and an even stronger, loving heart. Her relationship with Kirito is the best relationship in anime history in my opinion...
Interesting opinion.

These sound about right for starters:
Spice & Wolf - m/f leads, jesting and economics
Crest of the Stars - m/f leads, sci-fi, politics, war, culture
Nana - f/f leads, drama
12 Kingdoms - fantasy, to another world, character growth
Seirei no Moribito - action, fantasy
Bakemonogatari - dialogue, mystery, comedy jest, wordplay, artsy
CkanDec 18, 2013 6:02 AM
Dec 18, 2013 5:49 AM

Dec 2012
Claymore
Medaka Box

If you read manga then continue where the anime left off since they get better later on.

Ga-Rei: Zero
Ergo Proxy
Moretsu Pirates
Kara no Kyoukai
Dec 18, 2013 5:59 AM

Dec 2013
To black116611: Jormungand looks pretty cool, and Koko cracks me up. I'll be sure to look into it :)

To Ckan: Spice & Wolf has been on my to-do list for a while. Gotta get around to it. Crest of the Stars seems a bit dated to me. Nana sounds nice, but it's not my style. Ive heard so many good things about Moribito and 12 Kingdoms, so i'll finally look into them, and Monogatari as well looks quite interesting. Thank you :)

To tsudecimo: Ive seen Claymore, it was alright. Medaka Box seems entertaining, so i'll give it a go. Ga-Rei reminds me of Bleach, so that's one I have to see. Ergo Proxy was pretty good as well, but I found it boring much like Ghost in the Shell. Moretsu Pirates looks hilarious, so i'll research up. Kara no Kyoukai looks damn interesting as well. Thank you very much :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:03 AM

Apr 2007
Madoka Magica
Dec 18, 2013 6:09 AM

Dec 2013
To ona: Madoka Magica has also been on my to-do list. Ive watched the first 2 episodes, and need to finish it. Thanks for reminding me :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:18 AM

Mar 2012
These are ones I really liked:

Seirei no Moribito ( she is strong and really amazing, and the anime is great, so you have the best of both worlds!)

Howl's moving castle (I really liked her tenacity, and her ability to keep going regardless of what happened to her. This was an absolute great movie, and probably by far one of my fav's)

Canaan (a great thriller action type anime, in which the main isn't some annoying character, she's pretty bad ass and has a great personality)

Umi Monogatari: Anata ga Ite Kureta Koto (there are two girls that are in the lead. Don't let the picture with the synopsis fool you, this anime really caught me off guard. It was a really great anime. The characters are what made it so great for me)

Denpa Teki na Kanojo (I like dark anime, and this is a darker anime. I would say that regardless of what happened this character kept going. You def. won't expect the things she says or does)

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi (another darker anime. I liked how the lead was in this anime. She faced a lot of adversity and she kept going. It's a crazy thrill of an anime where a lot of crazy things happen, but it's decent)

Armitage 3 (this is a great movie, if you don't mind a bit of the whole mecha robot theme, in which she is a bad ass. She's amazing watch it!)
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Dec 18, 2013 6:25 AM

Dec 2013
To lovelydeath: How did I forget about Howl's Moving Castle?! Been meaning to watch that for ages. Canaan looks badass, so it's going on my to-do list. Umi Monogatari seems right up my alley. The girls seem so lovable. Denpa Teki seems interesting, kinda like Another, which I liked. Thanks for the recommend. Mnemosyne seems like a better version of Ergo Proxy, so i'll check it out. Armitage 3 sounds epic as all hell! Thank you for your suggestions :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:27 AM

Sep 2012
Seirei no Moribito.

Also, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita has quite the interesting female protagonist. She makes the entire show.
Dec 18, 2013 6:31 AM

Dec 2013
To Vatskan: Jinrui wa Suitai looks like damn fun. Thanks for the recommendation :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:32 AM

Jan 2011
wolf children
lost canvas meiou shinwa
chihayafuru
Dec 18, 2013 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Kino's Journey
Blood+
Noir
Rose of Versailles
Twin Spica.
Dec 18, 2013 6:37 AM

Dec 2013
To silversaint: Wolf Children was a wonderful movie, one of the better ones I've seen. Both Galactic Heroes and Meiou Shinwa seem extremely dated to me, so I think i'll pass. Thank you :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:42 AM

Dec 2013
To yazio: Utena and Kino fit the bill perfectly, so thank you very much. Blood+ was a good show, seen that one a few times through. Noir looks well made, so i'll jot it down on my list. Rose of Versailles looks nice as well, I do love me some Yuri (being a Lesbian myself). Twin Spica interests me greatly, so thank you once again! :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:42 AM

Jan 2011
RiverOfGarrus said:
To silversaint: Wolf Children was a wonderful movie, one of the better ones I've seen. Both Galactic Heroes and Meiou Shinwa seem extremely dated to me, so I think i'll pass. Thank you :)

i erased Legend of the Galactic Heroes cause it seems you dont like military women anyways... Lost Canvas is 2009-2011
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/357/c/4/sasha_sisifos_gif_by_kisaraakiryu-d4jz5xd.gif
this is dated?

Kara no Kyoukai
Angel Beats!
B Gata H Kei
Baccano!
Binbougami ga!
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

might be to your liking
Dec 18, 2013 6:45 AM

Dec 2013
To silversaint: Whoops, seems I looked up the wrong series. Thank you for the correction! Lost Canvas looks quite good now that Ive found the one you were referring to.
Dec 18, 2013 6:49 AM

Mar 2012
RiverOfGarrus said:
I do love me some Yuri (being a Lesbian myself).

Maybe also try Sasameki Koto and Maria-sama ga Miteru.
Dec 18, 2013 6:49 AM
Apr 2013
@River

You should at least update your anime list under your profile so that members here will not recommend anime that you had watched before.
Dec 18, 2013 6:52 AM

Dec 2013
To yazio: Both Sasameki and Maria-sama seem like wonderful series. Thank you again!

To worldeditor11: I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for the heads up! I greatly appreciate it :)
Dec 18, 2013 6:56 AM

Dec 2013
To silversaint: Angel Beats is a good show, thanks. B Gata seems ok, though not entirely to my style. Baccano! was pretty cool, if not disjointed at times. Binbougami Ga looks pretty fun to watch, so i'll write it down, thank you :)
Dec 18, 2013 7:08 AM

Dec 2013
Oh ya forgot to mention ... Oda Nobuna no Yabou is pretty good u should have a look in it
Dec 18, 2013 7:20 AM

Dec 2013
To black116611: Oda Nobuna looks good, ive written it down. Thank you :)
Dec 18, 2013 9:31 AM
Jul 2012
Thought it was a troll with Motoko in hated but Asuna in liked. Watch GITS movie before watching the series, it might help you. If not well you really need to be patient to enjoy it, season 2 is where you see a lot of Motoko's worth as a character

Anyway my rec would be Utena
Dec 18, 2013 11:54 AM
Dec 2013
Just a quick two off the top of my head, Both different genres. First: Hanasaku Iroha. and second: To Aru Kagaku No Railgun.

Oh and Special A for good measure. Also any Studio Ghibli film as they tend to feature strong female protagonist. Well that's my penny's worth.
Dec 18, 2013 2:27 PM

Dec 2013
To Tarextherex: Nope, not a troll. I sincerely like Asuna, and dislike Mokoto. Ive seen bits and pieces of Ghost in the Shell Season 2, but none of it really interested me. I'll give the movie a go, though.

To Jibber-chan: Hanasaku looks great, thank you :) Ive seen a few previews of Railgun, and to be honest, im not into the whole Superpowers thing anymore.
Dec 18, 2013 2:57 PM

May 2009
Her name is Motoko, not Mokoto.
Dec 18, 2013 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
To bergil: I dont honestly care. Everyone knows who im talking about.
Dec 18, 2013 3:01 PM

May 2009
RiverOfGarrus said:
To bergil: I dont honestly care. Everyone knows who im talking about.

And ı don't care that you don't care. If you will actually hate a great character without an actually good reason at least spell her name right .
Dec 18, 2013 3:03 PM

Mar 2011
Romeo x Juliet - in this adaptation, Romeo is a sheltered prince, and Juliet is a crossdressing freedom fighter

Princess tutu
Nanoha
Dec 18, 2013 3:03 PM

Dec 2012
First of all, please be concise with your explanations of requests, because nobody wants to read your walls of texts of your convoluted opinions of anime characters.

Great female characters I know, listing only the anime and not the characters:
Haibane Renmei
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Kokoro Connect
Ookami to Koushinryou
Seirei no Moribito

(Properly edit my post, mod!)
3. Trolling, abuse, and/or harassment will not be tolerated.
Saying someone's opinion is ignorant and arguing with them isn't against the rules.
CrimeIntraDec 18, 2013 3:40 PM
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Dec 18, 2013 3:11 PM

Dec 2013
To bergil: We will agree to disagree. I dont like Motoko, you do. I dont care if I spell her name wrong, you do. No big deal.

To CrimeFridge: No need to be insulting. Simply because I like Asuna and you dont doesnt make me "mistaken" or "delusional". It's an opinion, and nothing more. I respect that you dont like her. Please respect that I do.
Dec 18, 2013 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
I just finished Michiko and Hatchen. Check that out for sure. Redline and Lupin the Third: Woman Called Fujiko Mine are notable as well.

Other than that. . . Gunbuster 2 might scratch your itch. And there is Kei from Akira.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Dec 18, 2013 3:30 PM

Dec 2013
To NickyCharisma: Thank you for the recommendations. I will check them each out and give 'em a go :)
Dec 18, 2013 3:30 PM

Aug 2009
Candy Boy if you like yuri both protagonists are great

also Holo from Spice in Wolf ftw.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Dec 2013
To battosai-01: Candy Boy looks wonderful, thank you :)
Dec 18, 2013 3:36 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
Pointless fighting and bait of topic opener because they had a different opinion

Strong Female leads are not my forte but I would suggest Caanan if you have not see it.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 18, 2013 3:37 PM

Oct 2012
@RiverOfGarrus: You are welcome.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Dec 18, 2013 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
To Suzune-chan: Thank you for the suggestion :) Canaan will be one of the first anime I check off my to-watch list.
Dec 18, 2013 5:48 PM

Sep 2012
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun has a really good main character if you can get past all the ridiculous indecision she has towards the love interest.

Simoun maybe. The cast is so huge that most of them never get adequate development. Neviril is a decent protagonist once she gets over her angst though. Lots of homo.

Spice & Wolf has one of the most adorably charming female leads I've ever seen. I've never heard of anyone not liking Holo.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is great all around. MC is adventurous, daring, brave, and compassionate.

Inu x Boku SS is really cute. Ririchiyo is a sassy ice queen on the outside, but sensitive and lonely on the inside.
Dec 18, 2013 6:18 PM

Jun 2011
Are you looking for character with actual depth of just with high likability? Anyway, I'd say Nico Robin from One Piece.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 18, 2013 6:29 PM

Dec 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Are you looking for character with actual depth of just with high likability?

Ding ding ding! That's what I should've said earlier.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Dec 18, 2013 7:00 PM

Dec 2013
To Blfrvfrv: Thank you for the suggestions, ive written them down :)
Dec 18, 2013 7:02 PM

Dec 2013
To ToG25thBaam: Depth and likability generally go hand-in-hand for me, so either is fine. Nico Robin is one of my favorites from One Piece. Such a smart woman with a good back story to her as well.
Dec 18, 2013 9:08 PM

Oct 2013
psycho pass - main character is female. First ep she was kind of annoying, but by the end I liked her. its written by gen urobuchi (fate/zero, madoka) who seems to have a knack for strong female characters.

+1 bakemonogatari - senjougahara is my favorite anime character, and this is probably my favorite series. there's something strangely captivating about watching these characters talk to each other. it took me a few tries to get past the panty shot that opens the series, but if you make it 10 minutes in either you will be hooked, or you should just turn it off.

maybe a bit of a stretch but steins;gate is also good. kurise isnt the main character, but she plays a big role in the story, and i found her to be very interesting/likable. also the sci-fi/time travel/romance story is excellent.

edit: forgot to mention planetes. this is sci-fi (takes place a bit in the future, the main characters are space garbage collectors essentially). I just started this last night, but the MC is a woman who seems to be a refreshing change of pace from most anime woman. she speaks her mind, and appears to take no shit. might be worth checking out.
xerobornDec 18, 2013 9:14 PM
Dec 19, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
To xeroborn: Psycho Pass looks just my style, thank you! Gen Urobuchi does seem to have an affinity for female leads. Ive also heard a lot of good about Steins;Gate..I'll finally look into it. Planetes also peaks my interest, so thank you very much :)
Dec 19, 2013 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
Well I'm not huge with shows that center around a female lead but here's what i recommend;

-Itazura na Kiss (This show was definitely a big step out of my comfort zone when it comes to anime but I'm happy I did.)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3731/Itazura_na_Kiss

-Ookami to Koushinryou (This show was amazing and I highly recommend it.)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2966/Ookami_to_Koushinryou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6007/Ookami_to_Koushinryou_II:_Ookami_to_Kohakuiro_no_Yuuutsu
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5341/Ookami_to_Koushinryou_II

-Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (Very unique female MC and one of my favorite series.)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5682/Phantom:_Requiem_for_the_Phantom

-Seirei no Moribito (Balsa the MC is one of my favorite female characters of all time and very original.)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1827/Seirei_no_Moribito

These are all I could think of right now, hope you find something to watch!
Dec 19, 2013 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
To TheMadNode: Thank you very much for your suggestions :) Moribito and Ookami are currently on my to-watch list, and Phantom has been added.

To ALL: Thank you for all your suggestions! I have a large list now, so I will hop on it starting with Jormungand. Thank you all once again!
Dec 19, 2013 3:18 PM

Sep 2013
RiverOfGarrus said:

5. Yuuki Asuna from Sword Art Online. Not only is Asuna NOT a damsel in distress, but shes not just a piece of ass for our lead Kirito either! Asuna is an intelligent, skillful warrior, with a strong head and an even stronger, loving heart. Her relationship with Kirito is the best relationship in anime history in my opinion, as they are truly meant for each other, and I felt every word of love they spoke to each other ring true and heart felt. That said, there would be no Kirito without Asuna. She willed him on, she stood by his side, she fought to the death with and for him, she was utterly devoted to him through it all. That alone earns her a spot very high on my list of favorite girls.

Now then, for the list of girls I hate from anime, once again in no particular order:

2. Major Mokoto from Ghost in the Shell. Nothing is wrong with her actions, ideals, or anything like that. I just find the woman boring. Flat line boring. She's your every day soldier, and acts as robotic as she is. The series Ghost in the Shell is the same way for me. Interesting concepts, but boring execution for my tastes. Not much to her, not much to her series.

what the FUCK did I just read
If I wasn't supposed to be recommending you shows, I would've derailed this entire thread and chew the shit out of you for that.
Anyway;
  • Rose of Versailles
  • Glass Mask/Garasu no Kamen (2005 version is the best anime adaption, though the manga is the best)
  • Maria-sama ga Miteru
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Bakemonogatari
  • Ergo Proxy
  • Galaxy Express 999 and/or Captain Harlock
  • Kuragehime
  • Eureka Seven
  • Project A-ko
  • Panty & Stocking
  • Magic Knight Rayearth and/or Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
  • Macross (any one of the series are fine, but the original is pretty good)
  • Michiko to Hatchin
  • Ojamajo Doremi
  • Saint Tail
  • Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster and/or Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster
  • Urusei Yatsura
  • You're Under Arrest!
  • Ashita no Nadja
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon franchise
  • Dai Mahou Touge
  • Futari wa Pretty Cure
  • Hachimitsu to Clover
  • Heartcatch Precure
  • Jigoku Shoujo
  • Kaiba
  • Katanagatari
  • Kimi ni Todoke
  • Kotoura-san
  • Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
  • Nichijou
  • Nodame Cantabile
  • Ouran Koukou Host Club
  • Perfect Blue
  • Rozen Maiden
  • Slayers
  • peeyaj said:
    Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
    Jan 19, 2014 10:26 AM

Dec 2013
    To Fueille: You would "chew the shit out of me" and "derail this entire thread" solely because my opinions differ from yours? How ignorant and childish.

More topics from this board

» Ecchi anime for straight women or gay men

princefaking - Yesterday

2 by princefaking »»
    4 hours ago

» Anime with older protagonists (25+)

builttospill - Today

4 by mo_lave »»
    10 hours ago

» Recommend me some based on my likes

Charuwin - Yesterday

3 by M2zC »»
    Today, 4:09 AM

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

36 by BlueBullet178 »»
    Yesterday, 5:51 PM

» Fantasy Setting and Magics Anime

shiroha - Jun 2

9 by mo_lave »»
    Yesterday, 2:05 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.