Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2009 11:52 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A good ending I think. Although I thought they'd feature the eight enlighted ones more that they spoke of in the first season. Maybe they'll get back around to that if there's a third season.

And I hope very much that there might eventually be a third season. I love this series.

Feb 14, 2009 4:01 AM

Aug 2007
This is screaming for a 3rd season! There're still so many things left hanging. Great season, 8/10. Thanks subbers!

Feb 14, 2009 9:40 AM
Aug 2008
A pretty good ending. I, too hope for a 3rd season! I got too attached to all the characters and I just can't believe that the show is over. I'm crossing my fingers for a 3rd season! ;)
Feb 14, 2009 9:42 AM

Jun 2008
the novel isn't over yet, I think. so there is hope for another season <:
Feb 14, 2009 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
there has to be a third season, the novel is SO far ahead.

damn it, i can't stand Shuurei. who does she think she is that Ryuuki has to go out of his way to try and get her? -.- i sincerely wish he'll just stop loving her or something, i can't stand watching him chase after her while she just laughs it off =/
Feb 14, 2009 4:03 PM
May 2008
Finally I get to see the end of this season after a long wait. Big thanks to fansubbers. You are awesome<3

The final episode conclude things up nicely, but a yet another continuation is hinted. I wonder if Ryuuki would finally get Shuurei to marry him. I'm guessing the time limit would be when the sakura tree blossomed.

I still can't understand why Shusui is not coming home with all of them.

Feb 14, 2009 11:09 PM
Apr 2008
I want a 3rd season too! While I'm happy to finally get to the final ep (thanks fansub groups!), there were still loose ends, such as the Ou Ki situation. Plus I just want to see more Ryuuki x Shuurei moments! ~_^

I want the extended version of the OP song now. ^_^;;
Feb 15, 2009 12:54 PM

Sep 2007
Hey! This can't be the ending yet! We didn't get to find out if Shuurei and Ryuuki get married or not. And there are still things that haven't been solved yet, like what will happen to Shusui and Shiba Jin? And what about the situastion with Ou ki? The guy in the Hyou family haven't gotten back to the thing that consern Shuurei. Arrgh... I need a third season, especially since the novels aren't getting translated into english.

I think that Shusui isn't coming back with them because of the curse she has still is effective. And the woman hasn't yet dissappeared, so she can take control over her and make her do things against her will again.
Feb 16, 2009 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
*Fangirl mode*3RD SEASON NOOOOOOW!!!!~~~~*Fangirl mode*

ahem . . . .

Great second season. Definately has me interested in reading the light novel if I can get hold of a translation somewhere. I will be so disappointed if this doesn't get a third season. I am definately rooting for Ryuuki x Shuurei. <3
Feb 18, 2009 7:01 AM

Aug 2008
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but I highly doubt there will be a third season. For one the second season came out just a few months after the first season. Also, The sales for the second season dvd's was very small compared to the first season. Unless more money is made off of the second season....the chances of a third are very small.
Jul 23, 2009 10:28 AM
Jul 2008
lovely anime... ild keep praying for the third season.
Mar 8, 2011 6:52 AM

Jun 2009
Waaaahhh!!! I also want a third season.. but I think the sales were low on this series except for the novels.. sigh! There were still so many loose ends yet to be revealed... what a cliffhanger! >.< I really pray that there will be a third season or an OVA! That's all I ask! But really nice ending! I want Ryuuki and Shuurei to be together so badly! It's really good to see them together at the end though... a hint of the future? hehe.. Still an 8/10 for me coz it's a little slow and I got to finish it only now..
Mar 13, 2011 7:26 AM

Jun 2009
I too would like to see a season three !! It was an awesome story. The ending was cool although as others have pointed out this was a major cliffhanger ending. A few things need to be tied up but overall I loved it. I am glad to see that you guys agree!

Take care all and continue to keep your fingers and toes crossed!
-cg
Aug 11, 2011 11:10 AM

Dec 2009
I don't like how it ended too many things were hanging. even though the ending was nice. There really should be a third season. I believe three is a lucky number.
Dec 4, 2011 1:32 PM

Jun 2009
really disliked the last episode, the story was left too open and seeing there is yet no sequel i doubt whether there will ever be any.
Jan 14, 2012 7:57 AM
Sep 2010
Still really hoping for a third season, with a lot of old shows like "Rurouni Kenshin" coming back, there is still hope. Just have to wait and see. :)
Feb 11, 2012 3:30 AM
Apr 2011
Really hoping for another season, especially since the novel has already ended. :s So many things left open, like the Ou Ki situation and the thing between Ryuuki and Shuurei. And of course, really want to see the thing bout Hyou Riou and Bara-hime and stuff.

I really dislike how Shuurei keeps on stringing Ryuuki on, or maybe she just doesn't know herself that she likes him back as well. Either way, it's kinda obvious he can't wait forever for her any longer, especially since he finally resolved to become a proper emperor.

Oh, and lastly, kinda sucks that lots of the new released anime are pretty crap (at least that's what I think), and some of them even getting sequels! and here you have Saiunkoku Monogatari, one with great plot and characters, which seems like it won't get a season 3 :/
Feb 18, 2012 7:45 PM
Sep 2010
devilzzy said:
Really hoping for another season, especially since the novel has already ended. :s So many things left open, like the Ou Ki situation and the thing between Ryuuki and Shuurei. And of course, really want to see the thing bout Hyou Riou and Bara-hime and stuff.

I really dislike how Shuurei keeps on stringing Ryuuki on, or maybe she just doesn't know herself that she likes him back as well. Either way, it's kinda obvious he can't wait forever for her any longer, especially since he finally resolved to become a proper emperor.

Oh, and lastly, kinda sucks that lots of the new released anime are pretty crap (at least that's what I think), and some of them even getting sequels! and here you have Saiunkoku Monogatari, one with great plot and characters, which seems like it won't get a season 3 :/

I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement.

But knowing how the story ends, don't worry. Things will be resolved between Shuurei & Ryuuki. One way or another. :P
Feb 26, 2012 7:34 PM
Feb 2012
I think people tend to fall off the wagon after the series has reach a certain point because Saiunkoku is such a intricate story with so many plots weaving here and there. No doubt I love the characters and the story. The ending here is not completely an ending since the manga was still ongoing. Praying for some closure for the other characters too besides Shuurei and Ryuuki! I was hoping that they would announce a third season sometime this year because it's the perfect timing.
May 1, 2012 10:03 PM

Nov 2008
Rooting for Shuurei x Ryuuki and Juusan x Jin and Shusui x Shouka! Wish for the third season with all my heart!

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Aug 20, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2009
Wow just wow!!!

It's finally over T___T

I actually delayed this by 3 days before the last episode since i really don't want it to end. But alas i had to watch the finale.

Lots of amazing scenes and emotions that's pouring out of me right now.

First off, it looks like Ensei really does love Shuurei romantically! Seiran assumed too much that Ensei won't go after her, so that's why Ensei told Seiran not to expect that Ensei he won't be making a move on Shuurei at all.

Jyuusan-hime is really a beauty!!! She really does look like Shuurei in blue hair and blue eyes! She's also more busty than her(sorry Shurei XD)

Ryuuki is finally back at Kiyou! Seems Seiran is still pissed about Shuuei leaving Ryuuki alone, but now that Shuuei has abandoned his family, he can finally be at the emperor side until the end.

Man i though Ki, Kouki really fired Tan Tan, btu instead made him an undercover officer in another region. So at least he can rank up and won't hinder Shuurei since Seiga loves to used people for his gain.

Still seeing Tan Tan leave was sad as hell. At first i didn't like him since he's lazy and doesn't help Shuurei. But he really did grew on me and made a lot of amazing observations that helped Shuurei and others in need. He's definitely one of my favorite characters in the series!! Sayonara Tan Tan! Hope to see you soon!!

Ryuuki finally has finally found his resolved as the emperor. He even indirectly called Ou Ki in front of everyone. This is gonna be intense for sure!

I really love how others are there for Ryuuki! Even Kouyuu who has endured so much, he finally did 100 years of work so that he can be in the sidfe of emperor. Even Ensei, Shuurei, Shouka, Ryuuren and Yuushin will be there as well! He'll never be alone like he used to!

Still, i wished Jyuusan-hime was there, since she's now filling the position Shusui previously had.

Finally!! Ryuuki mans up and tells Shuurei that he can no longer wait for Shuurei forever. Someday he will get married and hopefully Shuurei has to do something about it or she'll regret it for the rest of her life. I'm glad Ryuuki is now on the offense mode and Shuurei has to do work if she still wants to be with Ryuuki.

Still, Jyuusan-hime seems to be the only candidate other than Shuurei. So man Ryuuki is lucky to either have Shuurei or Jyuusan-hime! It's hard to choose for me since Jyuusan-hime has been amazing. But of course, we can't let our heroine Shuurei herself be down like that!

I'm glad they showed characters from various places!! Still disappointed that after the plague arc. We never get to hear about Eigetsu and Kourin which they seem to be living fine for now. I hope Yougetsu would wake up as well in the near future!

Lots of things needs to be resolve!!

First off, i mentioned in the last episode of the first season, that i was hoping season 2 would cover: Shouka's wolf clan and how it was formed and disbanded. Murderous thieves backstory and how Ensei and Seiran met as well as meeting Sakujun and how raised Seiran back then.

Speaking of Sakujun, he freaking appeared in the plague arc and helping Eigetsu escape from being tied up. It also seems Eigetsu knew Sakujun for some reason! Sakujun is alive somewhere and we need to know how he survived the poison!!

Also what about the Enlightened beings?? I thought this season will focus on how they were formed and why they got conflicted in the first place?

What about Ou Ki's plan?? It seems Anju is on his side and why does he keeps helping Shuurei? Does he know Sakujun?

Also the Ran family will not stop until they get back Shuuei. It will be interesting what they will do from now on.

And what the hell happened to Hyou, Riou?? When he approached Shuurei and he said in the first few episodes, he said came back to take what he think is his. Which is Barahime or Shuurei's mother. Of course Shouka still has a score to settle to him since apparently Shouka stole Barahime from him.

Also seeing the story on how Shouka and Barahime met as well as escaping Hyou's family and falling on love with one another.

Also what about young Riou, Hyou? Is he an enemy or is there to protect the emperor?

Also Shusui was controlled by Hyou family since birth. It will be interesting what happens to her now along with Jin Shiba. Of course Hyou's founder Ruka is supposedly alive. I wonder how will she respond to Shusui's betrayal?

One disappointment i have in the series is Seiran!! Seriously there were multiple times where Seiran should have assisted Shuurei instead of Ensei. I understand the director and creators probably wanted to emphasize Ensei's relationship with Shuurei.

Still!! Seiran is amazing!! I can't believed he got less screen time here compared to last season.

I think that's all the story they could explore if they made a season 3. It's a shame this has been finished since 2008 and we still don't have any word about Season 3 since the novel is apparently made a lot of progression compared to the Anime or even the Manga!!

Is this better than Season 2? Well i'm still salty about Seiran's reduction of screentime, but we get tons of new characters like Tan Tan, Jyuusan-hime, even the plague arc is amazing and how we all though Eigetsu would forever vanished and instead Yougetsu has put himself in a induce coma for a long time. As well as Shuurei exercising her right as the governor of Sa province.

But season 1 had the amazing journey on how Shuurei fought with all of her might! Seiran's epic battle Sakujun's Russian roulette style with sake, as well as that ending scene with Shuurei and Sakujun!

So yeah, i would say season 1 and season 2 are tie for me right now. So that means this will receive a 10 for me!!!

I really love the series!!! I can't believed no one's talking about this Anime!!! As i already said in the last episode of season 1, Definitely one of the best Anime's of the 2000s!!!

Your a fool if you think Anime 2000s where dead. Definitely one of the most overlook Anime's of this decade.

I hope more people watch this show!! The combination of China's Dynasty setting, Amazing relationship with different kinds of people, Intense hardships and you'll see how hard work does indeed pay off, plus romance scenes and tearful scenes that will make you cry T__T

Opening and Ending are beautiful! Whenever i hear Hajimari no Kaze i'll always remember Saiunkoku Monogatari and my time with this franchise!

Definitely a 10/10!!! Please PLEASE!!! Someone should contact Yukino, Sai and make Season 3!! More than 39 episodes this time around since it's obvious there's a lot of explanation they need to do!!
Aug 20, 2014 10:46 PM

Jul 2009
Also forgot to post the DVD covers for Season 2 :)

Check it out!

Sep 18, 2014 10:52 PM

May 2010
The biggest problem for about this series is the bgm -__-"

Bleep, almost 2015. Chance for next season probably 0. Don't click the spoiler if you still hoping for season 3.
[spoiler]
Shuurei married to Ryuuki at the age of 29. She died a year later after giving birth to her daughter (Genetic disease). Her daughter become queen of England Saiunkoku and stay foreveralone for 70 years.
[spoiler]
Sep 19, 2014 1:25 AM

Dec 2012
I just finished the series and I'm so unhappy with the ending!

What kept me watching more than anything was the relationship between Ryuuki and Shuurei, but they left it completely unchanged from the start of the season. I'm praying for a miracle and a third season is announced after all these years. :^(
Dec 31, 2014 5:51 AM

Jul 2014
Ughhhh.... that ending! There are still a few more things that need to explained further! Like the Hyou clan and Ou Ki's plot to name a few. I'm still hoping for a 3rd season despite it being years since the 2nd one ended.

I also really wanted a clearer end between Ryuuki and Shuurei though the latter really pisses me off at times with how she treats Ryuuki. I want to see the man happy!! >_<
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Mar 6, 2015 6:06 AM
Jun 2014
Like a lot of you think, a third season would be great. This ending was disappointing to me in a way, because she didn't marry ANYONE out of so many candidates. I don't like these sort of endings which don't actually end.
Tan-Tan seems to not like Shuurei like the rest of them which is too bad, not like they were going to do something with that if he did... if you know what I'm saying.
I think I agree with a lot of posts that have been posted here.

Jul 23, 2015 2:09 AM
Jul 2008
where can i watch this episode :( :( :(
Nov 26, 2015 1:05 PM
Dec 2014
And another hidden gem in the bag. I really really enjoyed this show. I even gave it a 9! Hope more people pick it up. Shame about no 3rd season but I can understand why it would not make commercial sense.
Jan 14, 2016 2:32 AM
Jan 2016
And I'm reading this on 2016. Lost hope for a 3rd season so I'm on to the novel. Hope I'll get over this cliffhanger!
May 24, 2016 1:37 AM
May 2016
almost half way through 2016 and still no season 3... -.-
Does anyone know where I can find English translations of the light novels?? Pleeaseee
Jan 18, 2017 6:40 AM

May 2014
Thank you to all the reviews that I read before watching this season, because of that I didn't expect very much of Shuurei x Ryuuki ending. Didn't get my hopes up. Saved myself from the frustration and disappointment. Good series! Might rewatch. 7/10
May 6, 2017 7:34 AM
Oct 2010
It would be sort of contradictory but... what if the time limit he set was forever? <3 ...Maybe that warning was only to put pressure on Shuurei as in "I can't be a good emperor without a wife".
I haven't read the light novel, but by the spoilers I'd say he kept waiting for a while.
Mar 7, 2018 9:41 AM

Jun 2011
The dvd covers posted above looks amazing!

Man I echo the wish of everyone here, we need season 3 for Saiunkoku Monogatari! It's been an epic journey starting from back when Ryuuki didn't want to succeed the throne. I remember back when it was a lot more lighthearted, the series became a lot more serious after Shuurei passed the test to become a government official, that's probably why I loved that episode where Ryuuki departed to look for Shuurei, and even though he only got a glance of her from far distance, the comedy that the old cast of Ryuuki, Kouyuu, and Shuuei brought felt incredibly nostalgic.

The relationship between Shuurei and Ryuuki is definitely the meat of the series for me, I probably wouldn't have made it through if there isn't a chance that Shuurei will end up with Ryuuki, despite how amazing the series is. I squeeled so hard at the last scene before the ending credit rolled in, when Ryuuki leaned in closer to Shuurei and whispered the promised time to her. I wish we get season 3, 4, and 5 if needed just so we, the fans could get a closure to this! I ship the pair so much!! I've read a bit of spoilers from wikia but I really do want to see those scenes myself!

Saiunkoku Monogatari is no doubt up there as the top 2 best reverse harem ever along with Hanasakeru Seishounen for me, even though I am not a fan of the "reverse harem" aspect of SM.

I definitely won't lose hope yet for a season 3, older series got adapted to anime again in recent years, don't lose my faith, Japan!

edit: this is also the type of anime that makes you love anime even more, a lot of my 8's and 9's don't really make me want to watch more anime, I enjoyed a lot of them but really could do without having seen most of those, and Saiunkoku Monogatari is different, the potential is infinite. Would've probably given this a 10/10 if the story was concluded and Shuurei ended up with Ryuuki. Season 3, we need you!
ToG25thBaamMar 7, 2018 9:49 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 23, 2018 11:39 AM

May 2017
Ugh...so the "romance" portion of this series leaves a lot to be desired (a LOT). I really enjoyed this, but there were some major annoyances that kept it from rating a bit higher for me. If there was a S3, then my perception may change, but while I'm fine with this being the end of a "season" I'm definitely not fine with it being the end of the show.

I think Shuurei is the most annoying part of this show for me....I almost want them to just kill her off so the emperor can fall in love with someone else and we can get a true romance story. She's like a damn robot when it comes to romance, which is very disappointing since I felt like the romance part of this show was what was going to make it so great, as let's face it the fighting was laughable. ...and keep in mind I'm saying this having enjoyed this show, but just admit it could've been great. We could've ended at the same outcome with Shuurei being a bit more interested in romantic interactions yet her career still being what kept her grounded, but as it is she's just way too cold for my liking.

Anyway, still a good watch and the final episode wasn't bad, but is indeed a disappointment as a "show" finale since there is not another season yet. Would've easily rated higher for me otherwise though.
Apr 17, 2020 8:04 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Season 1 was better. Still I found the whole show very boring.

6.5/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 30, 2020 11:52 PM
Oct 2020
Loved the anime.. First & second season..
One on my top fav anime..
Great moments:: Ryuuki x shurei, Eigetsu x kourin.. koukujin x shinka..!!

Loved the story development/ plot/ & new characters.. (As in old times, people were oblivious & did not like the idea of trying risky ways) When the epidemic caused havoc in sa province, the struggle to overcome it began.. New methods were implemented with no prior knowledge & resources..!! Ryuuki (with a heavy heart) accepts shurei's proposal (her proposal to accompany the team assembled by her to visit sa province to cure the people & prevent the spread of the disease)..!!

Lovable moments:: It was great to see that shurei started thinking about Ryuuki in this season, well that's a good start I would say (lol).. Ryuuki said,'I hate you' then said 'I lied' to shurei. She said 'this is the first time you said you hate me moment'.. Eigetsu left kourin & gets caught. Kourin feels to help him moments..
And many more..!!

A bit disappointed for Ryuuki as he should have been more adept in this season. I was expecting him to come in action when the castle was attacked by shiba & when ran wanted to leave he could have stopped him then & there rather going after him.. Might have shown that he started dealing in court matters efficiently or atleast started to hold command on some of the officials to promote shurei rather than stiching hankies..!! And the biggest disappointment for me was not even a single kiss between Ryuuki & shurei in this season (Sakujun curse remains, so sad).. He respected her wishes & did not make a move but she does not show any affection towards him..!!

Lastly, I heard something about how there's a sad ending to the novel.. If they come up to make the 3rd season (I wish they should soon) I hope they go with different, lenghty but not boring arcs to keep the show running or end it on a good note not a cliffhanger, even if they had to recreate a happy ending moment between Ryuuki & shurei (not a sympathy jesture or forceful results, but a decision arise pure of love) it would be worth it..!! Still waiting for the 3rd season (being optimistic, lol)..!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Should they make a new season of the Japanese anime ColourCloud Palace or remake the entire anime ?

KingSunWukong - Jan 9

1 by Alpha-Nine »»
May 26, 5:40 PM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd Season Episode 16 Discussion

SomaHeir - Aug 9, 2014

2 by Turn_A_Blum »»
May 3, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

starrysky - Mar 4, 2008

4 by Turn_A_Blum »»
May 2, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Did watching Colourcloud Palace made you want to study for a master's degree in public administration to prepare you to become an official ?

KingSunWukong - Jan 24

0 by KingSunWukong »»
Jan 24, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Crystal - Dec 16, 2007

7 by Verasucha1980 »»
Aug 27, 2022 8:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.