Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 5, 2009 3:07 PM

Jul 2008
We are really beating these philosophical topics to death on the general forums.
Jan 5, 2009 3:07 PM

Mar 2007
I don't mind Whole Foods that much. But I lived in Austin, where Whole Foods has its headquarters. They opened a ginormous flagship store there a while back, and it is HUGE. It is like food Disneyland. It is Amazing.

However, I now live in the SF Bay Area, and Trader Joes is closer to me (and cheaper) so I go there instead :) I have several friends who live in Portland though, and they like New Seasns a lot ;_;
Jan 5, 2009 3:09 PM

Apr 2008
Defiance said:
We are really beating these philosophical topics to death on the general forums.

bored we are indeed.
Jan 5, 2009 3:22 PM

Mar 2005
Solanio said:
To address your point on Wal-mart, let me just say this. Every single person working at Wal-mart does so because it makes them better off than working any other job they are able to get or staying home all day. Otherwise they'd be working that better job or staying home. Wal-mart does not need to coerce people to work there. Hundreds of thousands of people do so voluntarily. I have no idea how this can possibly be construed as bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv6RcXa2UI
that's how
Jan 5, 2009 3:32 PM

Sep 2008
kei-clone said:
Solanio said:
To address your point on Wal-mart, let me just say this. Every single person working at Wal-mart does so because it makes them better off than working any other job they are able to get or staying home all day. Otherwise they'd be working that better job or staying home. Wal-mart does not need to coerce people to work there. Hundreds of thousands of people do so voluntarily. I have no idea how this can possibly be construed as bad.

that's how

lol at that vid^
Jan 5, 2009 3:34 PM

Apr 2008
kei-clone said:
Solanio said:

that's how

outsourcing = efficiency.
remember that for all the americans losing their jobs, at least 3 chinese will be able to work.
Jan 5, 2009 3:59 PM

Mar 2005
Sohei said:
remember that for all the americans losing their jobs, at least 3 chinese will be able to work.

true, but from an american's point of view it would still be bad.
Jan 5, 2009 4:05 PM

Apr 2008
kei-clone said:
Sohei said:

depends. If they wanted to give every american a job, prices for everything would sky-rocket due to high labor costs. and then you're not even talking about government subsidies that sustain those workers, money that could be spent much more wisely.

sadly enough, alot of people don't necessarily understand that situation.
Jan 5, 2009 4:22 PM

Mar 2005
Sohei said:
kei-clone said:
Sohei said:

depends. If they wanted to give every american a job, prices for everything would sky-rocket due to high labor costs. and then you're not even talking about government subsidies that sustain those workers, money that could be spent much more wisely.

sadly enough, alot of people don't necessarily understand that situation.

I think whether they do or not those whose jobs are in jeopardy must still look after their own interests. the fact is that when a WalMart opens up in many communities a LOT of jobs in the area are lost, many which may have been there for a long time. those jobs are replaced with jobs at walmart.

note that i'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing in the long run, but the video still speaks the truth that those lower prices come at a cost. New York City I know has banned Walmart from opening a store anywhere in the city, and that keeps a lot of local businesses running. Of course, you'd note that everything in NYC is crazy expensive, but it then also gets to retain its "culture" in a way, somewhat delaying the uniformity that is already occuring with the prevalence of Starbucks and Chase bank chains popping up on every corner. But I digress...

The original question asked how Walmart can be viewed as a bad thing, and I was intending to answer that. but really it depends on what you're looking for.
Jan 5, 2009 4:27 PM

Mar 2005
by request this thread shall return to discussion about Whole Foods and the original topic. further discussion about Walmart can go here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=61070
kei-cloneJan 5, 2009 4:41 PM
Jan 5, 2009 4:39 PM

May 2007
MagicalEmi said:
I don't mind Whole Foods that much. But I lived in Austin, where Whole Foods has its headquarters. They opened a ginormous flagship store there a while back, and it is HUGE. It is like food Disneyland. It is Amazing.

However, I now live in the SF Bay Area, and Trader Joes is closer to me (and cheaper) so I go there instead :) I have several friends who live in Portland though, and they like New Seasns a lot ;_;

That store sounds AMAZING O_O A natural foods disneyland...*drools a bit*

You know, I don't hate Whole Foods. I'm just really not fond of their buy-out of Wild Oats, and I don't like what they are now doing to New Seasons. I think it's awful that a store that promotes fair trade does not also promote fair business. It's one thing to compete with other stores in an area, based on location and pricing and pulling in customers. It's another thing entirely to want to stamp out those stores and dominate the market through tricksy actions like using an unrelated court battle to subpoena someone else's financial documents.

Trader Joe's and New Seasons are awesome. I don't want them to be negatively affected because Whole Foods has decided to be a prick.

Sick-Bastard said:

Edit: Also, if people are so concerned about your health, why the fuck are they living in the city?

Missed this earlier, came back to comment on it.

See second sentence on Wiki page.

Frequencity said:
I don't really think there's anything hippie or trendy about wanted to avoid eating shitty/unnatural food, but maybe I'm in the minority. Also. yes WalMart is the fucking worst.

I agree. I think people use the words "trendy" and "hippie" to attack it and make it seem less credible, possibly because they feel the need to justify not eating healthy.

kei-clone said:

also this isn't the first time Whole Foods has pulled shady shit like this:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/WebScandalHitsWholeFoods.aspx

Oh yes, that was what I was talking about back when:

ScrumYummy said:

That was of course until Whole Foods went after Wild Oats like a rabid dog, and successfully purchased them and shut down their locations or turned them into Whole Foods branches, after much bullying, verbal abuse, and child-like behavior from the Whole Foods CEO.
Jan 5, 2009 5:31 PM

May 2008
aisakku said:
I challenge your portland hippie mechaness to my austin hippie mechaness

I challenge your austin hippie mechaness to my Eugene hippie mechaness

And Trader Joes is amazing btw.
Jan 5, 2009 5:52 PM

Feb 2007
ScrumYummy said:
.....I think it's awful that a store that promotes fair trade does not also promote fair business.
Except fair trade is not necessarily a fair business practice!

It hurts people who are not able to be "fair trade certified." It focuses too much on small failing businesses and forcefully pushes them towards success. They set a price, higher than the market price (:<<<<<), which causes a huge excess of stuff to be produced. This causes the real market price to fall even more, hurting those who were not deemed "poor enough" to be considered 'fair trade'. I agree, however, that the pressures of fair trade causes a better flow of merchandise from the area, which can benefit other farmers, however, I do not see why it is necessary to eliminate competition and FREE trade! Not that true free trade even exists on this horrible little planet, but I can dream.
Jan 5, 2009 8:36 PM

Jul 2008

So let me get this straight....millions of people saving money, and thousands of people in poor urban areas being employed thanks to Walmart is bad....because a few thousand other people will be unemployed?

Hey, I've got a great idea! Why don't we have the government subsidize 100 people for making paper airplanes all day, paying them 60k/year? Then, when someone mentions that this is a waste of 6 million dollars a year in taxpayer money, you can tell them the same thing, "Oh....but what about the 100 people who will be employed?? Stop it with your evil corporation!!!"

Focus

Whole Foods rocks. Just ate there today, because Scrummy reminded me of them with her topic.
Jan 6, 2009 9:01 PM

Feb 2007
Man, I just found out there are 4 Whole Foods in Vancouver, and 2 in Ontario. so 6 stores in Canada. Most here... AHHAA. Damn it, Vancouver is still better than Ontario. :<

I think I'll go to a Whole Foods just to see how it is in Canada (only been in one in America).
Jan 6, 2009 9:08 PM

May 2008
There aren't any in Alaska that I know of. At least not in Anchorage. We have Fred Meyers...which is nice for fresh foods but this trader joes / whole foods sounds kind of awesome.

For some reason this is making me think of subway. o.O
Nikato's PokePet

ChickMagnet the level 50 Pikachu!
Jan 6, 2009 9:48 PM

May 2007
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are pretty rad. (Yes, I just complimented Whole Foods there). I just don't like the idea of Whole foods attacking the other stores, although I do like them. They are the closest natural grocery store to where I live, so I have shopped there for a long time.

ShaolinRibiero said:

Whole Foods rocks. Just ate there today, because Scrummy reminded me of them with her topic.

And if you lived in Portland, I would have said that you could get the same meal, better and cheaper at New Seasons.

You have to admit, Whole Foods prepared food is frikking EXPENSIVE. D:

theeggman85 said:
aisakku said:
I challenge your portland hippie mechaness to my austin hippie mechaness

I challenge your austin hippie mechaness to my Eugene hippie mechaness

And Trader Joes is amazing btw.

ho shiz, Eugene hippies pwn all. :O
Jan 7, 2009 2:23 AM

Jul 2008
ScrumYummy said:

And if you lived in Portland, I would have said that you could get the same meal, better and cheaper at New Seasons.

You have to admit, Whole Foods prepared food is frikking EXPENSIVE. D:

Never heard of New Seasons before now, thanks for the heads-up. Also, you're right about the expensive part, but in the LA area, that's true of everything.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.