Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2012 8:30 AM
Feb 2012
I have watched the manga and anime and are now confused who the main guy is.
I myself think that it's Yoshino. I may have wrong but, just my opinion.
Why? Cause you always hear his inner though and not Mahiros.
What do you guys think?
Nov 16, 2012 8:53 AM

Feb 2012
Haven't read the manga yet (after anime finishes, I'm planning to catch up), but from what I've seen up until now, Mahiro, Yoshino, and Hakaze are the main cast (you can add Aika if you want as well to complete the circle).
Nov 16, 2012 9:01 AM
Jan 2011
Just enjoy the anime dude.
Nov 16, 2012 11:30 AM

Jul 2011
Yoshino.

You just have to follow the narrative.
ainkyNov 16, 2012 1:03 PM
Nov 16, 2012 11:53 AM

Aug 2011
Yoshino seems like the main lead.
Nov 16, 2012 12:16 PM

Jun 2008
As a manga reader I would say that Yoshino & Mahiro are equally the leads. Yoshino doesnt have more screen time than Mahiro.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 16, 2012 12:29 PM

Nov 2011
Orulyon said:
As a manga reader I would say that Yoshino & Mahiro are equally the leads. Yoshino doesnt have more screen time than Mahiro.

Same here. I feel that both of them have have equal status in this series in terms of leading protagonists.
Nov 16, 2012 12:53 PM
Sep 2012
Stark700 said:
Orulyon said:

Same here. I feel that both of them have have equal status in this series in terms of leading protagonists.
The story revolves around both Mahiro and Yoshino and they both get a lot of screen time in every episode so I'd agree that they're both the leads in this show.
Nov 16, 2012 1:13 PM

Jul 2011
AiCon said:
Stark700 said:
Orulyon said:

The story revolves around both Mahiro and Yoshino and they both get a lot of screen time in every episode so I'd agree that they're both the leads in this show.

Yes both of them are main characters but the lead is Yoshino. In the first episode you can see from which point of view the plot began, and in the episode 7 for example, they show us the Yoshino's dream, and even in the other episodes the narrative is clearly focused on him.
Nov 16, 2012 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
aiNkyy said:
AiCon said:
Stark700 said:
Orulyon said:

Yes both of them are main characters but the lead is Yoshino. In the first episode you can see from which point of view the plot began, and in the episode 7 for example, they show us the Yoshino's dream, and even in the other episodes the narrative is clearly focused on him.

Hum...did you read anything what I posted (And Stark)? Anime might be focusing on Yoshino for now but manga clearly shows that he and Mahiro are both main leads and all the pics from anime, including the opening always stick them together, and at the same level side by side. Also...Yoshino might get a little bit more focus but Mahiro is as main as he is, because all the events are always connect to both not just one XD

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 16, 2012 3:09 PM

Dec 2010
Orulyon said:

+1
Nov 16, 2012 3:13 PM

Jul 2011
Even in Durarara that is an anime with many arcs focused in multiple main characters has one lead only.
Nov 16, 2012 3:24 PM

Jul 2011
Orulyon said:
aiNkyy said:
AiCon said:
Stark700 said:
Orulyon said:

Hum...did you read anything what I posted (And Stark)? Anime might be focusing on Yoshino for now but manga clearly shows that he and Mahiro are both main leads and all the pics from anime, including the opening always stick them together, and at the same level side by side. Also...Yoshino might get a little bit more focus but Mahiro is as main as he is, because all the events are always connect to both not just one XD

If you are talking about main characters, both Yoshino and Mahiro are, but the plot is told from the point of view of Yoshino, even if later the story is focused on all the two.
ainkyNov 16, 2012 3:27 PM
Nov 16, 2012 3:24 PM

Dec 2010
aiNkyy said:
Even in Durarara that is an anime with many arcs focused in multiple main characters has one lead only.

Name the main lead character in Baccano then, since by your logic there always is just one.
Nov 16, 2012 3:31 PM

Jul 2011
InfiniteDestiny said:
aiNkyy said:

Name the main lead character in Baccano then, since by your logic there always is just one.

I haven't seen Baccano yet. How about you tell us your logic instead ?
ainkyNov 16, 2012 3:34 PM
Nov 16, 2012 9:33 PM

Sep 2011
i agree with yoshino being the MC, no matter how equally distributed screentime may be, there is always a character that is the main lead, its very obviously yoshino cause basically everything has been told from his point of view.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 16, 2012 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
the reason why you hear more of yoshino's inner thoughts is because mahiro doesn't think as much as he does.
Nov 16, 2012 11:43 PM
Jan 2011
Yoshino is the main lead. Its all from his perspective.
Nov 17, 2012 1:13 AM

Apr 2011
InfiniteDestiny said:
aiNkyy said:

There really isn't the main lead in Baccano, but the whole question behind the whole anime is who is the main character(asked by that little girl in the first episode and left unresolved in the end) , so it's not really a fair question. It's an exception. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but he has a point - in 99% of cases there is only one lead character. And it's usually the character whose thoughts you get to hear the most (there is an exception to this too, but let's not go into that).
Nov 17, 2012 3:26 PM

Sep 2011
AnimeHAwk616 said:
the reason why you hear more of yoshino's inner thoughts is because mahiro doesn't think as much as he does.
That and cause yoshino is the MC, theres a reason the show only follows yoshino's pov in flashbacks and inner thoughts as well as whenever the two separate more time is spent on yoshino

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 17, 2012 7:52 PM

Jan 2008
Orulyon said:

I read the manga too and Yoshino is definitely the main guy.
Nov 29, 2012 9:06 PM

Nov 2012
Guessing Yoshino is the main character from what i read on the manga.
Nov 29, 2012 11:30 PM

Jan 2011
I'd say Yoshino, the anime at least (haven't read the manga) shows it far more from his perspective and narrative than Mahiro's; they're still equally important to the story however. Is it really all that important though? Classifying characters as such is fickle and fruitless if you're having to think for more than a second about it. Sure, sometimes I like to divide things between lead female and lead male, but there isn't really much need for that here and it's usually to assert the difference between a main and a major character.
Nov 30, 2012 2:28 AM

Mar 2009
No offense meant to anyone, but:
Who cares which of them is the main main character?
I mean really.... I've had main characters that I hate and secondary chars that I love and Vice versa .
I just don't really get why it matters, you either like them, or hate them or like one or the other.... from what I'm reading, this could easily turn into a fight and I just don't see the point at all.

As Lanf said above, in some cases I can understand the need/desire to figure out who is in what roll but this isn't the anime that you can do that easily with..... so why try and frustrate yourself and others?
From what I've seen, there have been instances where both characters have shown us their thoughts.

Personally, I like Yoshino & Hakaze (SP?), but don't like either Aika or Mahiro (Given what I've seen from their personalities)-so as far as I'm concerned, their the only characters that matter to me.
Dec 1, 2012 5:07 AM

Jul 2011
Lanf said:
I'd say Yoshino, the anime at least (haven't read the manga) shows it far more from his perspective and narrative than Mahiro's; they're still equally important to the story however. Is it really all that important though? Classifying characters as such is fickle and fruitless if you're having to think for more than a second about it. Sure, sometimes I like to divide things between lead female and lead male, but there isn't really much need for that here and it's usually to assert the difference between a main and a major character.

windeen-windy said:
I mean really.... I've had main characters that I hate and secondary chars that I love and Vice versa .
I just don't really get why it matters, you either like them, or hate them or like one or the other.... from what I'm reading, this could easily turn into a fight and I just don't see the point at all.

As Lanf said above, in some cases I can understand the need/desire to figure out who is in what roll but this isn't the anime that you can do that easily with..... so why try and frustrate yourself and others?
From what I've seen, there have been instances where both characters have shown us their thoughts.

Personally, I like Yoshino & Hakaze (SP?), but don't like either Aika or Mahiro (Given what I've seen from their personalities)-so as far as I'm concerned, their the only characters that matter to me.

This topic is about the question "Who is the main guy?" and not "Why would I care?".
Dec 1, 2012 5:40 AM

Jun 2008
-khriz- said:
Orulyon said:

I read the manga too and Yoshino is definitely the main guy.

Yoshino is the narrator. "Main guy" is him plus Mahiro. The same way Aika and Hakaze are both "main girl", even though one has more screen time than other. Now if you ask who has more screen time or who "leads" more, yes, then it is Yoshino.

It is the same thing than asking who is the main character in Shinsekai Yori. The narrator is the girl Saki, yet, the author said she and Satoru are the main protagonists, even clearly she has more spotlight than Satoru and everything revolves around her not Satoru. Of course, the one who narrates has always more "influence" in the plot, but that does not make Mahiro a "supporting role".

Lame example: Who is the "main guy" in Twilight, Edward, or Jacob? Everything is told more in the perspective of Edward who is the closest to the narrator Bella, still, Jacob is a main too.

But I understand what you´re trying to say, and for that, yes, I agree that Yoshino is the "main" protagonist among the four of them;D

Which leads to an interesting question to those who follow the raws...Who is the "main girl"? XP

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Dec 2, 2012 5:19 AM

Jan 2011
aiNkyy said:
Lanf said:

windeen-windy said:

This topic is about the question "Who is the main guy?" and not "Why would I care?".

My counter point is that the topic is either a waste of time for all, or needs defining. There's a lot of bickering here because 'main guy' isn't a defined term. By forcing characters into classifications such as 'main' without defining what these classifications are, you're only wasting time for yourself and everyone else.

Personally I'd use lead male or female to indicate that one main character is more at the forefront the the others of that gender, but there isn't necessarily always a lead. Even then, how do I define a lead? Instinctive, I can figure it out in a second. If I can't, it's not worth overthinking and I simply assume there isn't a lead.

The characters are what they are, trying to argue excessively about this is just silly.
Dec 3, 2012 8:59 AM

Jul 2011
@Lanf I'm pretty sure you didn't read the first page of this post, but oh well.
Dec 3, 2012 10:17 AM

Jan 2011
aiNkyy said:
@Lanf I'm pretty sure you didn't read the first page of this post, but oh well.

I did, which is why I'm saying it's far to vague of question to be worth debating. It's like debating how long a 'bit' is as a length of time. To an extent, there seems to be debate as to what a main character is, whether intentionally or not, in this topic which evidently isn't that actual question proposed.

Besides, if I didn't read the first post, why did I actually provide an answer in my first post ? Claiming someone hasn't read the post is pretty lazy way to discredit someone's argument.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

279 by argy97 »»
Jun 9, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2012

147 by argy97 »»
Jun 8, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2012

230 by argy97 »»
Jun 8, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

398 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

116 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 10:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.