Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 29, 2012 11:03 AM
May 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKTLLb80Ns
It's really sad when crappy rap from the old school days like Shaq is far superior to rap today. Shaq would own Lil Wayne and we would all cry because it shows how low rap has gotten.
Nov 29, 2012 4:19 PM
Jun 2012
This era's rap music sucks.
Dec 1, 2012 7:19 PM

May 2012
This era's rap music doesn't suck completely, you just have to delve a little deeper to find the good stuff. Also I was going through related videos on YouTube searching for new music as you do, and found this which caught me off guard
Yep he actually sampled Azumanga Daioh... and it's actually pretty sick, I recommend checking some of his stuff out if your into hip hop. shit's on point.
Dec 1, 2012 8:22 PM
Dec 2012
I think its WACK! I just like some rappers like Wiz Khalifa and Eminem.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2012 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
There's some good stuff, like Lupe Fiasco or B.o.B., but it's mainly just filled with trash like Kreayshawn or Tyga. I turn the radio off whenever I hear "clique clique clique cliquecliquecliquecliquecliquecliqueclique"...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 1, 2012 11:48 PM

May 2012
Drake and Lil' Wayne: Bullshit.

but there are good little known local rappers which keep me interested in the genre,
and Eminems 'Not Afraid' will last for eternity ;)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2012 8:46 AM
Dec 2012
After lurking this thread, I've come to the conclusion that most of the expressed taste in hiphop is shit to begin with, which further perpetuates the industry's supply and demand of terrible music and exploited "artists."

Greeth; a good portion of Drake's music in regular rotation is indeed horrible. However, he's not a terrible artist overall. He's talented, but it's wasted with most of the nonsense he releases.

I'm stuck in golden era of hiphop because that's what I was raised on. I'd still much rather listen to The Roots' Things Fall Apart LP over whatever shuckin' and jivin' minstrel that today's generation embraces (see: French Montana, Future, etc).

Although, some artists, despite their collaborations, give me hope for the younger generation. I like Kendrick Lamar and Ab Soul. J. Cole is splendid so long as he chooses his production (hooks included) wisely. Mac Miller will do fine when he stops catering to the current industry standard.

The really hasn't been a proper passing of the torch in hiphop. So many artists who can still make good music find themselves fighting to be relevant when they're well past their prime. For example Styles P of D-Block released two fantastic mixtapes as of late. That, coupled with the D-Block x Wu-Tang collab (Wu-Block) which dropped last week proves that not all hiphop is dead.
Dec 4, 2012 9:46 AM
Jun 2012
The only mainstream rappers I like and keep up with at the moment are Kanye West, J. Cole and Lupe Fiasco. Too many guys nowadays rap about silly shit, and I'm not just saying that because I can't relate to what they rap about.
Dec 4, 2012 12:05 PM

Sep 2012
Rap isn't as great as during the golden age, it is more diverse though!
Dec 4, 2012 12:10 PM

Sep 2011
rap now a days is just this

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2012 12:23 PM
Dec 2012
^Indeed, but not all of it.

Go peep the top 20 songs from any run-of-the-mill rap blog and count the amount of times these rappers mention "bitches, bottles," or refer to themselves as being a, "real nigga."

It's sad, really.
Dec 4, 2012 12:27 PM

Sep 2011
I know, i know, the only time i hear good rap that comes from this generation of music is when its so obscure its non existent or platinum games released a new madworld esc game

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2012 2:19 PM

Jul 2012
Unlike other people I don't think it sucks I've heard way to many great artist post 2000 to think otherwise. Hip-hop in itself has evolved and the diversity has grown, sure the music in the "mainstream" might suck but this is the Internet age we dont have to look to the radio to find good music. I think people give this era way to much crap and half the time they cant even come up with a good reason why, they blurt out retarded statements like oh "Rap died when 2pac died" or " If 2pac & Biggie were alive Lil Gayne would be working at mcdonalds".
Dec 4, 2012 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
Tvking00 said:
Unlike other people I don't think it sucks I've heard way to many great artist post 2000 to think otherwise. Hip-hop in itself has evolved and the diversity has grown, sure the music in the "mainstream" might suck but this is the Internet age we dont have to look to the radio to find good music. I think people give this era way to much crap and half the time they cant even come up with a good reason why, they blurt out retarded statements like oh "Rap died when 2pac died" or " If 2pac & Biggie were alive Lil Gayne would be working at mcdonalds".

You haven't read any of the comments above have you, because people gave a lot of reasons.
Dec 4, 2012 2:32 PM
Jul 2012
Madeline said:
The only mainstream rappers I like and keep up with at the moment are Kanye West, J. Cole and Lupe Fiasco. Too many guys nowadays rap about silly shit, and I'm not just saying that because I can't relate to what they rap about.

this, i also like big sean though even though sometimes he puts out generic songs
Dec 4, 2012 2:40 PM

Nov 2012
JavierR said:
Madeline said:

this, i also like big sean though even though sometimes he puts out generic songs

No Kendrick Lamar tho???
Dec 4, 2012 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
JavierR said:
Madeline said:

Isnt he the same guy who put out that song a$$? Yah he could make freaking bohemian rhapsody and it still wouldn't redeem him for that song.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 4, 2012 2:50 PM

Mar 2012
This era's next BIG thing is here.

Took it to another stratosphere.
Dec 4, 2012 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
RandomPerson2 said:
Tvking00 said:

You haven't read any of the comments above have you, because people gave a lot of reasons.

My opinion still stands though.
Dec 4, 2012 3:15 PM

Jul 2012
Wiseidiot said:

lmfao I love this
Dec 4, 2012 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
I don't even consider little wayne and Drake rappers...
Dec 5, 2012 10:58 AM
Dec 2012
I highly encourage all of you to watch Ice T's The Art of Rap: Something from Nothing.

Educate yourselves.
Dec 7, 2012 1:23 PM

Feb 2011
fameONE said:
I highly encourage all of you to watch Ice T's The Art of Rap: Something from Nothing.

Educate yourselves.

Been dying to watch that, actually. Do you know anywhere online with the movie streaming?
Dec 8, 2012 11:25 PM

Feb 2010
I don't like most of what I hear on the radio. That's all.
Dec 10, 2012 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
Tvking00 said:
Wiseidiot said:

lmfao I love this

sadly this is actually better than anything lil wayne and all his shitty friends have put out in a long time.

but i would like to add that alot of good rly young rappers like machine gun Kelley, Hopsin, or Tyler the Creator
Dec 11, 2012 2:15 AM
Dec 2012
Not a big fan of mainstream hip hop, but there are plenty of underground artists who are great. Some of them have even blurred the lines between underground and mainstream with their popularity, like Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole.

Personally, I feel as though golden age hip hop was the worst "era" for rap. A lot of it just felt like novelty music. Seminal albums like Illmatic, Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), etc. helped to bring about a new era of hip hop with smoother flows and grittier beats that continues to influence today's hip hop.
Dec 12, 2012 1:17 AM
May 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveE_CSimws
I cry that Shaq rapping sounds like real rap nowadays. But hey, Shaq can't be that bad if Biggie did a duet with him
Dec 12, 2012 1:27 AM

Mar 2012
its not even music anymore

literally wut rap has becom, pig disgusting
Dec 12, 2012 1:43 AM
Dec 12, 2012 1:55 AM

Sep 2012
I dont listen to rap quite as much as I used, and I feel like thats probably because nothing good has really come out lately. I think the only three rap albums Ive listened to this year are: Food and Liquor II, Strange Clouds, and Cruel Summer. Lupe is the best rapper making music right now, and I think more people would like him if he didnt rap so much about politics and stuff (I personally dont mind it though). I also like some of the rappers from GOOD, mainly Kanye and Big Sean. And BoB and Tech N9ne are pretty good too, though I havent heard much from them lately.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Dec 12, 2012 2:03 AM

Dec 2012
Rap music and hip hop in general is mostly underground these days..

If listening to some materialistic guy go on about what he has and what you dont have is your thing, then you must be confused.

Only old school and underground is any good these days, but ofcourse that's only my opinion...

Dec 12, 2012 2:12 AM

Jul 2012
Its a war of generic garbage, when it emerged it was decent cause it was new and fresh but now its all played out. Would rather listen to deafening silence over any rap song.
Dec 12, 2012 2:14 AM

Jun 2007
Jordooee253 said:

If listening to some materialistic guy go on about what he has and what you dont have is your thing, then you must be confused.

Only old school and underground is any good these days, but ofcourse that's only my opinion...

The vast majority of old school rap is where the stereotype of rap being about "some materialistic guy going on about what he has and what you don't". That defined the style of old school rap, they just were a bit more wordy about it.

As for rap in general, I wouldn't say it's bad nowadays. Just for example, Kanye is amazing at production and has that 'Ye factor. His lyrics aren't the best but he's got a great voice for this style of music and he uses the hell out of it with the really damn good beats he puts out. Rap didn't magically die just because the radio might play some popular crappy songs sometimes. There are still lyricists out there (including big names, like T.I. or Lupe Fiasco) who write about real shit and try to get something more across than "hey I'm rich suck my dick bitch". Plenty of them, just gotta know where to look.

As a good rule, any "rap" song featuring WUB WUB WUB or autotune is not rap, it's dubstep/hip-hop bullshit. People need to learn rap and hip hop AREN'T THE SAME THING just because black people talk in them. Rap has a heavy focus on what's being said and making the music work with the lyrics, hip hop has a focus on the sound and throwing words on top of it.
TallonKarrde23Dec 12, 2012 2:22 AM
Dec 12, 2012 2:38 AM

Oct 2012
Gotta disagree. If you want to get technical, rap is a vocal technique, and hip-hop is a cultural movement that included tagging, breakdancing, MCing, DJing, etc. Music that arose out of that age was called hip-hop music. I would say that hip-hop died in the mainstream when gangster rap rose into prominence around 1994. None of the stuff on the radio today can be called hip-hop or R&B, they are closer to club or house.

Rap can only be considered an umbrella term for multiple genres (e.g. west coast, southern, g-funk, trap, crunk, etc.). I wouldn't even call it a genre in itself, otherwise it would include boy bands like 5ive, or what about Ke$ha, or Bloodhound Gang? Rap makes as much sense as a genre as 'electronic' music.

A lot of musicians from all different genres use auto-tune. They used to only use it to make a singer hit a high note, and you wouldn't even realize it was used because they didn't crank it up to its maximum setting.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 12, 2012 3:04 AM

Oct 2012
Jeav said:

I'd agree with you 100 % on that if he didn't occasionally release tracks that gives me hope for him as a rap artist. Plus all his stuff from 2006-2009 is still dope to listen to, especially Comeback Season. Lil' Wayne is definitely garbage though.
Hoping I soak up enough game to play three systems with one controller
Dec 13, 2012 9:14 AM

Jul 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Jordooee253 said:

The vast majority of old school rap is where the stereotype of rap being about "some materialistic guy going on about what he has and what you don't". That defined the style of old school rap, they just were a bit more wordy about it.

As for rap in general, I wouldn't say it's bad nowadays. Just for example, Kanye is amazing at production and has that 'Ye factor. His lyrics aren't the best but he's got a great voice for this style of music and he uses the hell out of it with the really damn good beats he puts out. Rap didn't magically die just because the radio might play some popular crappy songs sometimes. There are still lyricists out there (including big names, like T.I. or Lupe Fiasco) who write about real shit and try to get something more across than "hey I'm rich suck my dick bitch". Plenty of them, just gotta know where to look.

As a good rule, any "rap" song featuring WUB WUB WUB or autotune is not rap, it's dubstep/hip-hop bullshit. People need to learn rap and hip hop AREN'T THE SAME THING just because black people talk in them. Rap has a heavy focus on what's being said and making the music work with the lyrics, hip hop has a focus on the sound and throwing words on top of it.

Actually Hip-hop and rap are one in the same Hip-hop is culture(Mcing,Djing, Break Dancing, and Graffiti/Art) and the genre itself rap is just the vocal delivery whether you like the artist or not is completely dependent on the listener.
Dec 13, 2012 9:16 AM

Jul 2012
Prodigal_Enigma said:
Jeav said:

I'd agree with you 100 % on that if he didn't occasionally release tracks that gives me hope for him as a rap artist. Plus all his stuff from 2006-2009 is still dope to listen to, especially Comeback Season. Lil' Wayne is definitely garbage though.

Agreed a lot people dont know that Drake makes great music or at-least imo he does.
Dec 13, 2012 9:25 AM
Nov 2011
Bloodcalibur said:
Drake is wack. Lil Wayne is wack.

Most of them now a days are so wack I have to resort to sticking to older tracks of the following artists/rappers:
2Pac
Biggie
Big L
Eminem
Bone Thugs
DMX
Organized Konfusion
Run DMC
Snoop Dogg
Nas
Fabolous
Lloyd Banks

Hell, even:
Nelly
Ja Rule
(early) 50 Cent

As for current rappers, there's a few I listen to. One of them being Lupe Fiasco.
Here's one of his songs, "I Don't Wanna Care Right Now", from his latest album, "LASERS". The chorus lyrics really get me in my ego-trippin mood, lulz.

COMPLETELY agreed with you on that one Lil wayne sucks Major balls And drake songs are just plain terrible dumb rappers these days need to go back where they belong
False Shepherd :3
Dec 13, 2012 11:17 AM

Jan 2012
It's all shit!

Except the Epic Rap Battles of History
Dec 14, 2012 3:18 AM

Oct 2012
Virtual_BS said:
It's all shit!

Lol very debatable.
Hoping I soak up enough game to play three systems with one controller
Dec 14, 2012 4:26 AM
Dec 2012
This mainstream rappers should seriously stop rapping, they're just a disgrace on this culture.

Underground rappers like KdotG, Max Dupslaff should seriously get more attention.

Dec 14, 2012 4:29 AM

Sep 2012
It's not for me. I find that most popular rap songs are repetitive and obnoxious.
Dec 14, 2012 7:59 AM

Jun 2009
I find it odd how everyone's complaint about new rap artists is that their lyrics are dumb, yet it was the mostly old school rap that revolved around bitches and bling. The exact thing everyone complains about. Artists like ATCQ caught so much success because they stood out from the shitty over-rated Gangsta artists like Snoop, DMX, 50 cent, etc.

Rap has a lot more more variety now. I've always preferred rappers which are more conscious.
TrapaliciousDec 14, 2012 8:06 AM
Dec 14, 2012 9:27 AM

Dec 2012
Red_Keys said:
It's not for me. I find that most popular rap songs are repetitive and obnoxious.

You would be correct.

--------------------------

However, being a hip hop fan myself, there is good music if you bother to search for it. Anyone who says "Hip Hop is dead" or anything along those line is either delusional or not informed.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Dec 14, 2012 4:57 PM

Oct 2012
Trapalicious said:
I find it odd how everyone's complaint about new rap artists is that their lyrics are dumb, yet it was the mostly old school rap that revolved around bitches and bling. The exact thing everyone complains about. Artists like ATCQ caught so much success because they stood out from the shitty over-rated Gangsta artists like Snoop, DMX, 50 cent, etc.

Rap has a lot more more variety now. I've always preferred rappers which are more conscious.

THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 14, 2012 5:11 PM
Dec 2012
Trapalicious said:

Unfortunately, the dichotomy between underground and mainstream has spawned a particular trope that infects even "conscious" rappers' lyrics. I've seen too many damn songs in which 1/2 the lyrics are about "being the best" and "saving the game." They do come up with some pretty witty metaphors, and I still listen to them regardless, but still...these rappers needa stop prefacing their songs with the same themes over and over.
Dec 14, 2012 6:12 PM

Oct 2012
Bitches and bling? Hip-hop history lesson:

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y

KRS-One - Higher Level

Del tha Funky Homosapien - Sleepin' On my Couch

The Pharcyde - Passin' Me By

MC Serch - Back to the Grill Again ft Red Hot Lover Tone, Nas, Chubb Rock

Jadakiss - Keep Ya Head Up
THE CHAT CLUB.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

82 by scarydragon »»
19 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7809 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

28 by ShuisBased2 »»
9 hours ago

» Non anime Japanese Movies recommendations

Akuho993 - May 8

11 by bellingsince05 »»
9 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3521 by SilentAssassin88 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.