Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 20, 2022 11:53 PM

Aug 2016
As a fan of survivals and characters dealing with colossal dangers, this was pretty ok, but had potential to be way better. but at least the main girl doesnt feel obnoxious as princess mononoke, and its better than a slice of nothing like totoro.
MichaelJacksonJul 26, 2022 12:48 AM
:v
Jun 3, 2022 6:09 AM

Jul 2014
By far my least favourite of the four Ghibli movies I've watched so far. Incredibly slow and boring with a disjointed "plot" and a comically-lame antagonist (who's basically just Gargamel from the Smurfs if he was a fat old woman without magic powers). Still looks as good as Ghibli movies always do at least, but that's all it has going for it really.

5/10
Jul 5, 2022 9:13 AM
Aug 2018
If Haru Baba wasn't there, Arrierty and Sho would have lived happily, his grandmother would have welcomed Arrierty and her family too. and the toy house will make a beautiful gift, I really enjoyed this film and sad that they had to part
Jul 16, 2022 4:29 AM
Nov 2020
This movie went beyond my expectations :0 It was so good! I'm glad I watched it. Though I do feel as though there's something missing... I really disliked the old lady, Haru. I get that when you see something out of the ordinary, you want to see more of it and show it off but she was weirdly obsessed about the little people.
Aug 24, 2022 9:30 AM
Feb 2022
Not the ending i hopefully wanted but it's good nevertheless.

It's great for me because of the simplicity of the movie and also the art which is very beautiful, the soundtrack and the songs are relaxing and nice.

This could have been better because it had a great potential but it was too short to put much more detail into it, regardless of that, i still enjoyed it so it's a 9/10 for me.
Sep 2, 2022 5:24 AM

Jan 2021
Loved this movie. There's not much happening in it honestly but it was still a rather relaxing experience which was only made possible because of Ghibli's style and animation skills. The setting was very limited to a single home in the suburbs yet they still managed to make it seem like a vast world to be explored. Very simple, sweet and calm film. Probably one of my favorites from the studio. A solid 7/10 for me.
Mar 16, 2023 5:47 AM
Aug 2022
My favorite studio Ghibli film
Apr 13, 2023 8:30 PM

Sep 2020
Disappointing, felt like a lot of squandered potential. Outside of Arrietty's 1st night out (which was excellent), not much of interest happens. They really blew their load too early with Sho catching them in the act right then, it needed more buildup of her sneaking around and him catching small glimpses before that moment. As it stands, it was just her being pouty and mom being hysterical for 50% of the movie.

Most of the other Ghibli movies end abruptly with an sugary slate wipe, and this one needed it (Haru being fired on the spot, Arrietty's family moving into the dollhouse, etc.)

7/10, currently at the bottom of the bunch (haven't seen Earwig, Wind Rises, and Earthsea)
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Aug 15, 2023 1:30 PM

Nov 2018
I often wonder why I love this anime so much! The sceneries are breathtaking. I even cried because of the beautiful flowers in the meadow, and the charming ivy. But that's not it. Sho and Arrietty's friendship is so heartwarming, no doubt of it, yet what impresses me most is the strong message about change. The story is very honest. We don't want things to change, and being compelled to change things we like provokes us pain. Yet opening our hearts to what comes new is liberating! The future can only bring something better, as long as we embrace it with faith and enthusiasm. This movie is constantly reminding me of this.
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Nov 27, 2023 9:16 AM

Aug 2022
The weakest Ghibli film I saw up to now. I don't mean that it's bad, it's actually a pretty good film, but it doesn't really come near to some other stuff done by the studio. Don't really mind the ending, although I wish that we got to see how Sho's operation went and Arrietty's new home.
Dec 16, 2023 6:58 AM
Dec 2023
Loved the art, the characters, the music, and everything else besides the story. The story was great but kind of plain. Would watch again though.
Dec 16, 2023 6:36 PM

May 2014
A lovely movie. Amazing how midgets/small people see the big world which is so tiny to our eyes. A lovely relationship between Arrietty and Sho.
Mar 8, 2:58 PM

May 2017
Cute movie, but what the hell was Haru's problem anyway? She finds out little people are stealing like one tissue and one sugar cube every once in a while, so she decides to capture them for some reason? It's like if I found out a unicorn was eating from my apple tree and I decided to shoot it.
Mar 25, 8:02 PM

Dec 2022
relentlessly suspenseful but also relentlessly delightful and cozy
love that main song that plays little bits through the whole movie
Shawn was a real human bean and a real hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Update on Sho after the movie's end

mangalicker94 - Dec 16, 2023

3 by johneaston »»
Dec 17, 2023 6:33 AM

» Absolutely perfect for people starting watching anime with J-subs

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

2 by HinataaRei »»
Jul 13, 2023 11:41 AM

» How is the dub?

ovoon7 - Feb 17, 2012

22 by caprisan »»
Mar 6, 2021 4:01 PM

» The Secret World of Arriety ..... Music Video?

mylovelyfate - Mar 9, 2012

5 by Umbrya »»
Mar 9, 2012 3:42 PM

» Just Saw this in Theatres

Rasco - Feb 28, 2012

2 by Rasco »»
Mar 4, 2012 11:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.