Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 9, 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Showrunner Akio Iyoku stated that Dragon Ball Daima will definitely not be the end of the franchise's anime history and that they already have many plans for new anime projects in the Dragon Ball franchise despite the sad death of Akira Toriyama last year. Judging by his interview at the event dedicated to the premiere of the show, nothing has been planned or invented yet, but the staff is already brainstorming and discussing various ideas for new anime. Which, as I understand it, will now actually be original.

What do you think about this? Will you expect new projections and hype them? Or will you be suspicious of them because of the death of the author?
Oct 9, 5:40 PM

Feb 2021
The tragic passing of Toriyama-san was heartbreaking. I personally believe he would have wished for the series to go on, for fans to continue to enjoy it for generations to come. So this is a good thing in my eyes.

Personally I’d really want the anime to continue from where it left off after Tournament of Power arc. There is so much happening in the manga with the beloved cast as far as power levels and intense battles that would be amazing to have it animated. I would prefer this rather than doing a bunch of non-canon filler content.
Oct 9, 6:14 PM
Feb 2021
TSTO said:
The tragic passing of Toriyama-san was heartbreaking. I personally believe he would have wished for the series to go on, for fans to continue to enjoy it for generations to come. So this is a good thing in my eyes.

Personally I’d really want the anime to continue from where it left off after Tournament of Power arc. There is so much happening in the manga with the beloved cast as far as power levels and intense battles that would be amazing to have it animated. I would prefer this rather than doing a bunch of non-canon filler content.

We’ve all still waiting for super S2, I read that they be making movies following the “demon slayer” formula, although I dont consider Daima as a non canon
Oct 9, 8:42 PM
Jun 2023
Thank God!! Wish they relsease DBS s2!!!
Oct 9, 9:26 PM
Jun 2022
I mean, duh, it's super duper ultra popular. It'll go on as long as it's profitable.
Oct 9, 10:11 PM
Dec 2018
They were always going to do more Super, idk why anyone would be surprised by this.
Oct 10, 12:13 AM
Apr 2022
Lobflatte said:
TSTO said:

We’ve all still waiting for super S2, I read that they be making movies following the “demon slayer” formula, although I dont consider Daima as a non canon

Why should you not consider Daima in the canon when it litterally is tha last work of Toriyama?
By the way, I'm seeing people still talking about Super 2, it doesn't exist. There are the films now, there is no new season, even if it were it's unlikely to be the story of Toyotaro
Oct 10, 12:00 PM
Jul 2024
would love to see either an arc or a movie new version of cooler with all his forms from 1-5 with new modern design and much better story around him. the movies were kinda miss with him.
Oct 10, 7:46 PM
Dec 2023
Well, dragon ball super divers would be considered a successor to dragon ball heroes, so maybe we will get the short anime for super divers.

There is also a high chance of there being more movies.

There is also a chance (I do not know how much though) that dragon ball super anime would continue, and re-adapt super hero arc in TV anime version like battle of gods.
Oct 10, 7:55 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to TSTO

What a sad news. Leave the franchise to die lol. Dragon Ball isn't Gundam where you can create AU or even continue the original universe. It's just fanfiction since Battle of Gods was made.

@TSTO Lmao. Toriyama wished people to watch the original DB, Z and at most GT. Toriyama didn't even like Super and everything that came after. Sounds weird you claim he wished for the series to "go on" when Toriyama himself has criticized Super lol. So this a bad thing.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 10, 8:59 PM
Jan 2023
Irshiki said:
Lobflatte said:

Why should you not consider Daima in the canon when it litterally is tha last work of Toriyama?
By the way, I'm seeing people still talking about Super 2, it doesn't exist. There are the films now, there is no new season, even if it were it's unlikely to be the story of Toyotaro

OOP might've been talking about Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which isn't canon (though it's not exactly filler, just tie-in material for a video game).
Oct 10, 11:10 PM

Nov 2018
They can still keep up with the films formula, without forgetting that the two longest arcs (so far) of the manga haven't been adapted yet (whether the story changes or not once animated is unimportant here because something out of it will be animated no matter what; it's too big to be wasted).

Now, it's only a matter of time; will they pump out any random content at the speed of the light because Dragon Ball makes money in any case or take their time and properly prepare every project as it's being done since Dragon Ball Super: Broly...
Oct 11, 12:36 AM
Aug 2024
Reply to Nurguburu
What a sad news. Leave the franchise to die lol. Dragon Ball isn't Gundam where you can create AU or even continue the original universe. It's just fanfiction since Battle of Gods was made.

@TSTO Lmao. Toriyama wished people to watch the original DB, Z and at most GT. Toriyama didn't even like Super and everything that came after. Sounds weird you claim he wished for the series to "go on" when Toriyama himself has criticized Super lol. So this a bad thing.

@Nurguburu Nobody cares what Toriyama wished, or criticized.

May he rest in peace, he's a legend, but to normal people, he is gone now.
Oct 11, 9:44 AM
Sep 2022
i think the best they could do after daima is working on Movies with high budget and production, focusing mostly on back stories of characters and some secrets and lore left behind which will honestly not only benefit them but also make the fans happy.
Oct 11, 10:27 AM

Feb 2008
Reply to Nurguburu

@Nurguburu Source?
Oct 11, 10:46 AM
May 2011
Reply to Arka_Chakrabarty
I mean, duh, it's super duper ultra popular. It'll go on as long as it's profitable.
@Arka_Chakrabarty I cynically agree with this
Oct 11, 11:09 AM

Sep 2018
Dragonball ip is too profitable to just drop even if the og creator is gone.
Oct 11, 12:06 PM
Dec 2013
I mean, they still won't be official Akira Toriyama Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Daima is THE final official Toriyama Dragon Ball animated work as it's the final time he was directly involved with something Dragon Ball related. Other than the Dragon Ball Super chapters that were released before it went on hiatus because of Toriyama's death, there won't be any more official Toriyama Dragon Ball stuff (except for when the DBS anime comes back and adapts those chapters). I guess it would be the equivalent of those Dragon Ball/Z movies made before the Battle of Gods movie. Can it even be called canon if Toriyama isn't involved? It's a bit like how only Terminator 1, Terminator 2 and Terminator Dark Fate are the official James Cameron Terminator films, as James Cameron (the creator of Terminator) was involved with only those 3 Terminator movies. So anything future Dragon Ball animated stuff will be the equivalent of Terminator 3, Salvation and Genisys.

Then again, the last time Shigeru Miyamoto was directly involved with a Zelda game was with Twilight Princess, making that the final official Shigeru Miyamoto Zelda game, as Miyamoto wasn't involved with the making of Skyward Sword and the Zelda games made after it, so the situation of future Dragon Ball related stuff will be like the Zelda games made after Twilight Princess. I guess it's fine as long as it's entertaining.
wildhoodOct 11, 12:30 PM
Oct 11, 12:21 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to Nurguburu

@Nurguburu When has Toriyama criticized Super??
Oct 11, 12:22 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to ThunderMite42
Irshiki said:
Lobflatte said:

OOP might've been talking about Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which isn't canon (though it's not exactly filler, just tie-in material for a video game).
@ThunderMite42 Bro what even is and isn't canon anymore? The timeline is such a fuckin mess. We can't sit down and call everything not-manga related filler anymore, considering how everyone loves to trash the manga.
Oct 11, 12:26 PM
Jan 2023
minix_animade said:
@ThunderMite42 Bro what even is and isn't canon anymore? The timeline is such a fuckin mess. We can't sit down and call everything not-manga related filler anymore, considering how everyone loves to trash the manga.

Heroes is promo material for a game. It's not meant to fit into the main story, it's just fanservice.
Oct 11, 12:35 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to ThunderMite42
minix_animade said:

Heroes is promo material for a game. It's not meant to fit into the main story, it's just fanservice.
@ThunderMite42 At this point I wish Super was just non-canon. It's such a mess to continue from. Ironic the one movie where Gohan does something for once is filler.
Oct 11, 1:20 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Irshiki
Lobflatte said:
TSTO said:

@Irshiki

I wasn't clear enough. I will be watching Daima, I am not calling Daima filler or non-canon, I was more referring to the statement from the article about originals. I am always happy for anything Dragon Ball regardless.
Oct 11, 1:43 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to TSTO
@Irshiki

I wasn't clear enough. I will be watching Daima, I am not calling Daima filler or non-canon, I was more referring to the statement from the article about originals. I am always happy for anything Dragon Ball regardless.
@TSTO Now it's my turn to answer. By "original" I obviously meant content that wasn't based on Toriyama's manga or his ideas.
Oct 11, 3:24 PM

Oct 2013
Well... Not surprising, given how huge and popular this franchise it, and how successful are things belonging to it (not only anime, but also video games, merchandise, etc.). But good to know.

The original author's death surely will affect any future installments of the series. Without Akira Toriyama's ideas and supervision next anime will not only feel, but also be different to the past stuff, but let's be positive. Dragon Ball is huge and there is still a huge potential in it that other creators from the industry may make an use of and go with something new.
AdnashOct 11, 3:28 PM
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Oct 11, 4:00 PM
Mar 2024
While glad the series will have other shows after it, whether they're canon or not does not matter to me, I have enjoyed Dragonball content since forever.... But it terrifies me knowing these voice actors don't have eternal life (obviously) and at some point either the content stops entirely or the cast that you've know to love for decades is changed completely.

The voice actress of Goku/Gohan/Goten is turning 88 in 2 weeks, while many other voice actors on the series are well over their 50's with most between 60-80.

Obviously you don't want to think about it, but it's going to happen at some point,... and then what? Do these voice actors get replaced? Who can even replace them? Do they create AI generated voices with the massive amount of audio footage available from these actors and create new works with it if they agree to have this done?

In any other situation you would pick to let a character die off as there's simply nobody available that can fill in their shoes, but when one voice actor is voicing 3+ main/support characters it's an entirely different order aside from the fact that most of these characters have very recognizable voices.. so any changes can be extremely off-putting.
Oct 11, 5:53 PM

Feb 2021
Off topic a bit but Dragon Ball Sparking Zero is an incredibly good game, with a lot of love for the franchise poured into it.
Oct 11, 6:14 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Nurguburu

@Nurguburu this. Toriyama has been trying to get Dragon Ball to end since 1985. He's passed now, quit milking his work ffs.

Him criticizing Super is news to me though. I'd love to read up more about it if you've got a link?
Oct 11, 7:06 PM

Jul 2011
Reply to MedK001
@Nurguburu this. Toriyama has been trying to get Dragon Ball to end since 1985. He's passed now, quit milking his work ffs.

Him criticizing Super is news to me though. I'd love to read up more about it if you've got a link?
@MedK001 You won't get any source because it never happened. Why would Toriyama criticize his own story? He was the one who wrote Super after all.
Oct 11, 7:33 PM

May 2015
I need them to animate the reincarnated as yamcha story as an ova!
Oct 11, 7:39 PM
Jan 2020
RobertBobert said:
despite the sad death of Akira Toriyama last year.

Toriyama Akira died this year. You had me froze for a second there. Nah, time doesn't fly by that fast.
“𝖨𝖿 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝗐𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗉𝗋𝖾𝖽𝗂𝖼𝗍𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾, 𝗂𝗍 π—π—ˆπ—Žπ—…π–½ π–Όπ–Ύπ–Ίπ—Œπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝖻𝖾 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾 π—π—‚π—π—π—ˆπ—Žπ— π–Ώπ—…π–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹.” – π–€π—…π–Ύπ–Ίπ—‡π—ˆπ—‹ π–±π—ˆπ—ˆπ—Œπ–Ύπ—π–Ύπ—…π—
Oct 12, 1:25 AM
Apr 2023
All I really want is a good continuation of the End of Z mini arc that ended on Goku flying off and training with Uub. GT is aggressively mid, way worse than DBS, we need a proper sequel.
Oct 12, 9:48 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to AndyPRO
@MedK001 You won't get any source because it never happened. Why would Toriyama criticize his own story? He was the one who wrote Super after all.
@AndyPRO Didn't he only write loose outlines? He really only vague notes about the overall direction, so it's 100% possible that he'd dislike the 'meat' that Toei (or even Toyotaro) gave it. This is in theory though IDK if he acc said it
Oct 12, 10:25 AM

Jul 2011
Reply to MedK001
@AndyPRO Didn't he only write loose outlines? He really only vague notes about the overall direction, so it's 100% possible that he'd dislike the 'meat' that Toei (or even Toyotaro) gave it. This is in theory though IDK if he acc said it
@MedK001 Toriyama named Toyotaro his successor so there wasn't any bad blood there. He's also the one who choose him initially.

For the manga: Toriyama wrote first draft for the story, then Toyotaro polished it (adding more dialogue etc) and made a rough version of the chapter, and at last Toriyama would give Toyotaro notes on the draft before Toyotaro finished it.

I'm not sure how involved Toriyama was with the anime series, however he has stated that he sent them the same first draft as he sent to Toyotaro.

Some episodes are very similar to the manga since they changed very little to Toriyama's first draft, while some episodes are drastically different. Sometimes it was because Toei added or changed a bunch of stuff and sometimes because Toyotaro added a lot of stuff to the manga, and sometimes both.
Oct 12, 10:08 PM

Nov 2018
Filopyon said:
Do they create AI generated voices with the massive amount of audio footage available from these actors and create new works with it if they agree to have this done?
Yes, Masako Nozawa has already agreed to that. She wasn't kidding saying she'll forever be Goku (and by extension the rest of the Son family).

MedK001 said:
Toriyama has been trying to get Dragon Ball to end since 1985.
What in the world is this kind of misinformation... He may have started it simply because he needed money, but saying he wanted to end it just a year later is a straight lie. Toriyama claimed multiple times he was very proud of the incalculable number of fans it garnered and that it's what kept him going when he got tired. He could've easily half-assed his way to the end once he had almost all the creative control yet the manga's last arc is the longest among all.

As for Dragon Ball Super (anime), it's true he didn't care much for it, but he cared enough to jumpstart its creation as he wasn't very happy with how his work has been handled since the end of Dragon Ball Z (Hollywood's disgraceful "adaptation" did play a part in that as well). He may not take it much into account within the films (and now Dragon Ball Daima, too) where he's invested the most, but he didn't discredit the anime version of his story with Toyotaro.

Magicmist said:
That's a fun idea. I wouldn't mind seeing Ginga Patrol Jaco in animated form either, or better yet, Neko Majin, so we can delve into a (good) parody of Dragon Ball. Now is a great time to revisit Toriyama's works and I hope it'll keep going after Sand Land.

Vipadus said:
All I really want is a good continuation of the End of Z mini arc that ended on Goku flying off and training with Uub.
It used to be a dream, but I'm not so sure about it anymore now that Toriyama's gone. We'll probably never know what was his vision beyond that point, or if he even wanted to envision anything past that...
Oct 13, 1:28 AM

Jul 2016
Mirabem said:
It used to be a dream, but I'm not so sure about it anymore now that Toriyama's gone. We'll probably never know what was his vision beyond that point, or if he even wanted to envision anything past that...

Toriyama already said several times that he had no interest in going beyond EoZ because the characters would be way too old to do actual meaningful things by then, and I'm pretty sure he still kept that mindset even until his unfortunate passing as well (Hence why Super is still stuck as a midquel as of latest movie and manga chapter).
Oct 13, 2:23 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to MahiaErebeaNegi
Mirabem said:

Toriyama already said several times that he had no interest in going beyond EoZ because the characters would be way too old to do actual meaningful things by then, and I'm pretty sure he still kept that mindset even until his unfortunate passing as well (Hence why Super is still stuck as a midquel as of latest movie and manga chapter).
@MahiaErebeaNegi Never heard of that before, interesting. Naturally I strongly disagree given that he started it to begin with, and it's dragon ball surely the characters can remain strong enough through age to stay relevant. Even if not, seeing a grown up Goten(ks) do some stuff in an actually interesting sequel would be cool. But it doesn't have to be like Boruto where all the adults fall off. Seems like an excuse not to continue, really.
Oct 13, 5:06 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Mirabem
Filopyon said:
Do they create AI generated voices with the massive amount of audio footage available from these actors and create new works with it if they agree to have this done?
Yes, Masako Nozawa has already agreed to that. She wasn't kidding saying she'll forever be Goku (and by extension the rest of the Son family).

MedK001 said:
Toriyama has been trying to get Dragon Ball to end since 1985.
What in the world is this kind of misinformation... He may have started it simply because he needed money, but saying he wanted to end it just a year later is a straight lie. Toriyama claimed multiple times he was very proud of the incalculable number of fans it garnered and that it's what kept him going when he got tired. He could've easily half-assed his way to the end once he had almost all the creative control yet the manga's last arc is the longest among all.

As for Dragon Ball Super (anime), it's true he didn't care much for it, but he cared enough to jumpstart its creation as he wasn't very happy with how his work has been handled since the end of Dragon Ball Z (Hollywood's disgraceful "adaptation" did play a part in that as well). He may not take it much into account within the films (and now Dragon Ball Daima, too) where he's invested the most, but he didn't discredit the anime version of his story with Toyotaro.

Magicmist said:
That's a fun idea. I wouldn't mind seeing Ginga Patrol Jaco in animated form either, or better yet, Neko Majin, so we can delve into a (good) parody of Dragon Ball. Now is a great time to revisit Toriyama's works and I hope it'll keep going after Sand Land.

Vipadus said:
All I really want is a good continuation of the End of Z mini arc that ended on Goku flying off and training with Uub.
Mirabem said:

The only sources I can find on this is her allowing her voice to be used for Voice Assistants, Voice Navigation and similar applications, nowhere does it state that it will be used for future iterations of Dragonball, nor does that seem to be the purpose of her voice to AI-fied in the first place so there is doubts if that's enough to voice future content.

Nobody is waiting for some hacky AI voice without a single drop of soul either, personally I'd rather get used to someone new than a bad iteration of AI.
Oct 13, 8:05 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Vipadus
@MahiaErebeaNegi Never heard of that before, interesting. Naturally I strongly disagree given that he started it to begin with, and it's dragon ball surely the characters can remain strong enough through age to stay relevant. Even if not, seeing a grown up Goten(ks) do some stuff in an actually interesting sequel would be cool. But it doesn't have to be like Boruto where all the adults fall off. Seems like an excuse not to continue, really.
@Vipadus It aligns with him often saying he prefers to drive his story with/around Goku. He could've kept going with Gohan after Goku's sacrifice, he could've revived Dragon Ball in 2013 with a different main character, he could've centered Dragon Ball Daima around the kids for the "Mini" occasion, but he'd rather go with Goku. So, I guess going past the end of his original story where Goku would be much older or naturally taking a backseat doesn't interest him.
Oct 14, 4:03 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Mirabem
@Vipadus It aligns with him often saying he prefers to drive his story with/around Goku. He could've kept going with Gohan after Goku's sacrifice, he could've revived Dragon Ball in 2013 with a different main character, he could've centered Dragon Ball Daima around the kids for the "Mini" occasion, but he'd rather go with Goku. So, I guess going past the end of his original story where Goku would be much older or naturally taking a backseat doesn't interest him.
@Mirabem That's fair, but, again, I still feel at least a proper final arc could've been written building off of EoZ without drifting too much from a central focus on Goku, even if he's well into his 40s at that point in time. Heck, he was able to pull it off even in Z itself after Goku already had kids. Sequels involving kids are naturally prone to having too much focus cast upon them or even just end up switching MCs themselves. It wouldn't have been a giga stretch to have tied up that loose end at least.

I'm just sad that it seems like he started something and never finished it. And now, he never will. The best thing we'll get is some sort of semi-canon continuation but they may just respect his wishes and leave GT to be the failed sequel
Oct 16, 7:02 AM
Sep 2021
It feels a bit late to worry about whether Dragon Ball stories not written by Toriyama should be considered canon, when other writers have been contributing since 1986—long before many here were likely even born.
Oct 16, 7:07 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to DavidArcher
It feels a bit late to worry about whether Dragon Ball stories not written by Toriyama should be considered canon, when other writers have been contributing since 1986—long before many here were likely even born.
@DavidArcher I think there's a difference between additional works in a universe and the death of the only original author.
Oct 16, 2:18 PM
Aug 2024
Reply to TSTO

@TSTO yeah, i want super to continue.
2 hours ago

Nov 2012
I always thought we'd get a DBS 2 (whatever they decide to call it) anime eventually, maybe another couple movies first, with the first few arcs adapting the movies again like the original DBS did.

I think a new DBS movie will be announced first eventually, maybe towards the end of Daima, and Daima may get it's own movie or continuation too!

But I think by around the time Daima is wrapping, is probably the absolute latest we'd have to wait to hear about their next projects, they will wanna have something announced to look forward to when Daima is no longer the current thing they're making a big push for and no longer currently airing.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

» The Emotional Return of Dragon Ball Daima: A Journey Through Nostalgia and New Adventures

1ALIX - Oct 8

6 by JVskunkape »»
23 minutes ago

» Do I need to watch the other Dragon Ball series in order to understand this series?

RealNath - Oct 4

32 by JVskunkape »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » daima is newcomer friendly can be a standalone dragon ball show

deg - Oct 11

20 by JVskunkape »»
25 minutes ago

» Coming to Netflix globally too

RealNath - Oct 3

4 by JVskunkape »»
32 minutes ago

» The hell is this?

Alamax - Oct 12

15 by JVskunkape »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.