Forum Settings
Forums
New
9 hours ago
Sogeking Wannabe

Feb 2021
Which do you reckon holds up better today? Obviously Standards are far higher for anime now then ever, but both of these were non seasonal Shonens with insanely high viewership airing about 20 years ago; I'm wondering which you all prefer. Watching through for the first time now, I'd have to go Gintama. Each individual episodes story is so strong, and the 4:3 aspect ratio is kinda charming, giving it a uniquely cosy feel. Classic One Piece (Such as alabasta, Skypeia) Story wise is just so badly paced and if I wasn't a fan of the manga, I couldn't imagine sticking with it. One piece does get props for sticking to the Manga, adapting everything as Oda intended meaning all of the foreshadowing holds up and it doesn't fall apart later on. Whereas Gintama had to make several changes adapting a very text heavy comedy Manga. Its also interesting to note both of these only got better and better, with the Gintama final being the most praised episode of Gintama and often considered a perfect goodbye, and some of the post Gear 5 one piece episodes being the highest ever rated anime episodes on IMDB. With all that in mind which do you prefer, Early One Piece or Early Gintama?
Fimy329 hours ago
Lu lu lala luใ€œโ™ช
9 hours ago

Nov 2012
I'm personally going with Gintama. You don't need brilliant animation for it to hold up since it's comedy-based. One thing that might be dated a bit are references but even back then you'd need a bit of a guide for all the references unless you're some Japanese media/culture know-it-all, so it's fine imo. If it were manga, then I'd go with One Piece for sure
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Didn't watch Gintama yet, so One Piece is my only option.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
39 minutes ago

Jul 2017
I have rewatched the original Gintama season 3 times and it holds up really well as an adaptation, and the arcs are not significantly long with that time so it changes things up pretty often with the arcs themselves and the cast involved. One Piece starts off fine pacing-wise but because it is significantly longer and the arcs themselves are much longer that it can drag somewhat. I still like the original portion of One Piece a lot, significantly more than One Piece nowadays for years. Gintama's just too good. It's a comedy anime and the production does a really good job with the series for what it is.
5 seconds ago

Jun 2024
I had fun with old Gintama, but I love early One Piece more.

๐“๐“ท๐“ญ ๐“ผ๐“ธ, ๐”€๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ซ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐“ช ๐“ฏ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฌ๐“ฝ๐“พ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ
๐“๐”€๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฟ๐“ช๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“”๐“ต๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐“›๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ
๐“ค๐“ท๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ผ๐“ผ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป๐“ผ๐“ฎ, ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ผ๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ด๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ป๐“ธ๐”€๐“ท

More topics from this board

» Do you agree 2011 was a great year for anime?

SupremeGod - 3 hours ago

12 by Passing_time »»
44 seconds ago

» How is your waifu gonna get pregnant?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

8 by VivaceRex »»
5 minutes ago

» Why is SA so common in BL?

BlueMaho - Yesterday

30 by Nurguburu »»
5 minutes ago

» ๐Ÿ“ AD Best Seiyuu Contest ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jul 14

95 by Shizuna »»
34 minutes ago

» Do you ever drop shows that you like?

Pokitaru - Jul 16

37 by animejas »»
36 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.