Forum Settings
Forums

Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

New
May 13, 6:53 PM

Feb 2019
I was thinking about this. Does our beliefs we have in anime, translate to real life?

What if a person said I hate black people in anime, Can they still not be racist in real life?
What if a person says they hate gay people in anime, Can they still not be homophobic in real life?

Furthermore, I don't want this to be confused with the "Video games don't incite actual violence" idea, or the "I love sociopathic characters, but i dont like real sociopaths nor am I one.".. The comparisons should be a fictional belief you have, and if it translates to real life(people keep equating the wrong thing)

Here are some beliefs im wondering can you have for fictional characters but not in real life against real people.. exampls: racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, pedophilia, necrophilia, Ableism

Additionally things like: Im attracted to milfs in anime, but not in real life. Im attracted to furries in anime, Im not in real life.
Zamus_EditsMay 16, 12:29 PM
May 13, 8:32 PM

May 2015
No. Characters are not real people. They don't exist. Failing to understand it and confusing imagination with reality can actually be a very harmful way of thinking.
May 13, 8:47 PM

Aug 2018
Maybe.

I like the idea of a yandere, but in real life? No, thank you.
May 13, 9:08 PM
Oct 2016
No, mainly because people can have several reasons why they don't like certain character archetypes or traits that have nothing to do with them hating people in real life. Regarding your examples:

1) Someone can say they find black characters weird because most animes occur in a japanese setting and there is very few black people in Japan
2) Someone can say they hate seeing gay/lesbian characters in anime because yuri and yaoi stories fetishize a lot homosexuality and that translates into poorly written characters whose only purpose is to bait in people who love these genres

Same happens with liking characters, I'm pretty sure 99% of tsundere lovers would not stand having a girl behaving like that irl, they just like it because in a fantasy setting that behavior is cute.
May 13, 10:23 PM

Jul 2017
Does our opinion of characters or a belief we have in anime, translate to real life? If we take the lolicon debate which is "I can be attracted to this type of person in anime, but im not in real life
As much as I would love to say either “yes” or “no,” I think it’s a bit too broad of a question for me to really give a solid yes or no answer to. It would heavily depend on which characters we're talking about.

What if a person said I don't like to see black people in anime, Can i still not be racist in real life?
From just that statement alone, I believe there would be a moderately/pretty high chance that this person is a racist in real life, but I also wouldn’t say that the probability is 100% since it would still depend on what that person’s reasoning is. The only way to really know for sure whether that person is racist to black people or not in real life, would be to hear his/her explanations.

What if a person says they hate to see gay people in anime, Can i still not be homophobic in real life?
Hmm, I believe there is a moderately/pretty high chance that this person is homophobic in real life, but like the other question, it still depends on the reasoning. Perhaps the sight of gay couples triggers a certain bad memory within this person that isn’t related to homosexuality. Or, it could be the case that “hate” was meant to be hyperbolic, and this person was talking moreso in terms of just personal anime taste and preference. The chances are indeed pretty slim that this person isn’t homophobic, but I don’t want to rule out certain uncommon possibilities.
May 13, 10:31 PM

Feb 2020
Not really. I try to keep anime characters and real people separated.
May 13, 10:41 PM

Oct 2013
So, the real question here isn't whether or not people are negatively influenced by media, but whether or not we already harbor certain thoughts before we consume said media. I constantly watch things that I don't agree with in real life; whether that be anime, movies, or a comedian with a nasty sense of humor, knowing full well those aren't things I personally stand for. That can't be said for everyone though.

I could say over and over that it's not real, and that's completely true. However, facts are, there are people who watch things because it lines up with their real life beliefs. That includes anime.

All that to say, yes and no.
May 13, 11:55 PM

May 2018
"Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?"

No, that would be silly...and quite immature. So yeah, I would expect that from a 6 years old kid, but somewhere around 8-9 a better understanding of society should start to form.
May 14, 12:37 AM

Jan 2014
well, to a degree yes.
Depends on the writing, but generally if you think Light Yagami was right and it's ok to "the end justifies the means" I could think not so highly of you, cause that mindset could translate to real life in some form or another.
May 14, 6:46 AM

May 2019
No, there is no correlation between the two.
May 14, 7:48 AM

Apr 2024
Yes, no, maybe so.

You're clearly just trying lure someone into some kind of "gotcha" to support your own opinion and prejudices. So why should anyone take this seriously?
LhundrupMay 14, 9:23 AM
May 14, 8:28 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah, I don't think so. If you're using anime to form how you look or treat people that'd be concerning.
May 14, 9:55 AM

Mar 2023
Well maybe a little bit but not much.
May 14, 2:48 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Lhundrup
Yes, no, maybe so.

You're clearly just trying lure someone into some kind of "gotcha" to support your own opinion and prejudices. So why should anyone take this seriously?
@Lhundrup

Its not a gotcha question, i just wanted to see if there was a limit to how much we can view something in a show and let it not affect real life. and are you seriously asking if anyone should take it seriously? Its an anime forum who gives a shit
May 14, 6:46 PM

Feb 2021
Yes. I enjoy yuri genre but doesn't like/support real lesbians.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 14, 6:56 PM
Mar 2017
For some people sure but for many I'd say no. And yes anime/games don't. People that don't understand entertainment/themes and take things too seriously or don't understand a medium and go yep. When things were plays it was clear, the more digital or whatever themes with lyrics/things past their era of appeal or when 'they find a need to grow out of it' they freak out about it.

I'm still going on with music choices I 180ed for in 2014, same with anime starting then. Games I've expanded to over the years/collecting. I don't follow nostalgia logic I just explore anything new.

I mean anyone that watches for enjoyment not relate-ability for sure can go yep that arc, those characters, those themes do a good job reflecting that. It's why I do is just see how a series goes.

I prefer fiction in many cases. Not because it's scripted or clear of it's tropes either. Real life is unpredictable but at the same time if entertainment is pushed further (in some cases it's too safe, in others it's very wild).

Sorry too much games being safe has gotten me this way to think pushing further with ideas. Anime and music has done fine enough. But won't deny Anime/gaming have their trend focuses too much to go eh many times and think outside the box a lot.

People think what they think from different sources. From a tv show/news to a youtube video and if they agree/only get partial amounts of the information or only hear certain sides depends if they say 1 or 2 or many sides, or from a friend/family member bringing up the subject.

I mean I don't relate to anything I watch. Things come close sure but I also don't care when they do.

People that do want that or it does get close/is accurate then sure whatever. Deal with it or just don't take it seriously.
Suntanned_Duck2May 14, 7:00 PM
May 14, 7:44 PM
Jun 2020
lol No.

Think about it in this way, If a person says that he likes gore anime, does that mean he likes to watch gore in real life? Ofcourse not. Watching something from the comfort or safety of a screen and watching something with not just your eyes, but feeling with your whole body is a completely different (this is a reason why good books are so much more immersive than other forms of entertainment) feeling.

Though, there are psychopaths out there who will pay to watch this kind of shit. But they are an exception, maybe for them the act of watching gore transcends the medium to real life. What they like and dislike in virtual life, transcends to real life. If you are a racist in real life, then it's highly probable that you will watch racist shit in virtual life too. But it might not always be the case.

Zamus_Edits said:
What if a person said I don't like to see black people in anime, Can i still not be racist in real life?

It completely depends on why you don't want to see the black dude. If you don't want to see black people, solely based on their skin colour i.e. they are black, then yeah you might be racist. But, if you don't want to see them, because you don't like the writing in most of those anime, then it's not racism. If you don't want to see them, because you want an actual representation of the story setting, not an "ideal world" bs, then you are not racist. It completely depends on your reason.

The same can be applied to everything. And moreover, this is a FICTIONAL WORLD, it doesn't exist. You like whatever the fuck you want and dislike whatever the fuck you hate. Until and unless you bring that shit to real life, it doesn't matter. And if it started mattering people, what other's thoughts are then 1984 is closer to us than we thought.
May 15, 10:52 AM

Feb 2019
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
Yes. I enjoy yuri genre but doesn't like/support real lesbians.
@Yuu_Kanzaki Thats interesting, so you like to watch yuri, but your actually homophobic in real life?
May 15, 11:11 AM

Mar 2008
I think the characters someone hates reflect more than the characters someone likes.
May 15, 6:04 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Zamus_Edits
@Yuu_Kanzaki Thats interesting, so you like to watch yuri, but your actually homophobic in real life?
@Zamus_Edits I just don't support them. Does that mean I hate them?

May 15, 6:12 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
@Zamus_Edits I just don't support them. Does that mean I hate them?
@Yuu_Kanzaki What a weird thing to say then, Just say your not gay, no need to go out of your way to mention you wont support them.
May 15, 6:28 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Zamus_Edits
@Yuu_Kanzaki What a weird thing to say then, Just say your not gay, no need to go out of your way to mention you wont support them.
@Zamus_Edits That would sound even weirder. My main argument is "I enjoy yuri but I don't like real lesbian". How would me saying "I'm not gay" make things better?

Also I wrongly typed "doesn't" in my original post. Shoulda been don't.

May 15, 9:21 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
@Zamus_Edits That would sound even weirder. My main argument is "I enjoy yuri but I don't like real lesbian". How would me saying "I'm not gay" make things better?

Also I wrongly typed "doesn't" in my original post. Shoulda been don't.
@Yuu_Kanzaki What does that even mean? You "don't like real lesbians" as you aren't a lesbian, or as in you don't like lesbians and wouldnt be around one in real life?

if your implying the latter then its just homophobic lmao

i feel like english isnt your first language
Zamus_EditsMay 15, 9:31 PM
May 15, 10:10 PM

Apr 2020
there obv isn't always a correlation but the people saying there's absolutely 0 correlation between the two are just delusional.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 10:12 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to NostalgiaDrive94
well, to a degree yes.
Depends on the writing, but generally if you think Light Yagami was right and it's ok to "the end justifies the means" I could think not so highly of you, cause that mindset could translate to real life in some form or another.
@NostalgiaDrive94
light only killed criminals tho, so what was wrong with what he did? the crime rate went down 60%
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 10:38 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Zamus_Edits
@Yuu_Kanzaki What does that even mean? You "don't like real lesbians" as you aren't a lesbian, or as in you don't like lesbians and wouldnt be around one in real life?

if your implying the latter then its just homophobic lmao

i feel like english isnt your first language
@Zamus_Edits You're right, it's not my first language. But the statement means exactly that: I don't like lesbian and I don't support what they are preaching for".

So I can't disagree with the loud minority? People in English speaking countries sure have it rough huh.

May 15, 10:53 PM

Apr 2020
@BilboBaggins365
BilboBaggins365 said:
Is this sarcasm? Did you watch DN? He did not only kill criminals and he did plenty wrong

idk maybe I don't remember. what else did he do? last time I watched this show was 2017.
May 15, 10:57 PM

Jan 2014
Kenzolo-folk said:
@NostalgiaDrive94
light only killed criminals tho, so what was wrong with what he did? the crime rate went down 60%

Yeah but in doing so he went against every possible moral compass.
and he didn't just kill criminals in the process. He made a wasteland around him.
And he obviously wasn't just in it for the justice, he self served himself quite a lot.

So if you align with him and think that it's right for him to use whatever mean necessary, that's telling me that in real life you have a particular vision of things, not as overexagerated but even still..
May 15, 10:58 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@BilboBaggins365
BilboBaggins365 said:
Is this sarcasm? Did you watch DN? He did not only kill criminals and he did plenty wrong

idk maybe I don't remember. what else did he do? last time I watched this show was 2017.
@Kenzolo-folk
hold on, i remember now. yeah he's a dick. i forgot his whole goal with killing the detectives like that girl that he made commit suicide.
May 15, 10:59 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@BilboBaggins365
BilboBaggins365 said:

@Kenzolo-folk He murdered his own father, Naomi Misora was killed by him in the earliest episodes. She just wanted to figure out who murdered her fiance who also was killed by Light for investigating the murders. They are portrayed to be ordinary good people.

I also don't recall the fact Light killed anyone confirmed to be guilty, just anyone charged. Doing a quick google search, in the US, an estimate of at least 1-5% of people are wrongfully convicted, so those people were basically murdered without any chance to prove themselves innocent. He also I remember just straight up had lynch mobs supporting him.

It's been awhile since I have seen DN (literally as long as you) but Light was just straight up an evil villain, there wasn't much nuance there, even in EP 1. The dude wanted to rule the world like a tyrannical god, pretty much 1984 on steroids, when by his own standards he is a criminal deserving of death.
May 15, 11:08 PM

Jan 2009
no since we humans are hypocrites even in small amounts
May 16, 12:33 AM

Feb 2023
Absolutely not.

Some of my favorite characters in fiction are anti-social psychopaths with superpowers who would murder without a second thought. Meanwhile I often dislike characters that are overly idealistic and selfless, even if I agree with their cause.

In fiction I see everything through a lens of "what's exiting to have in a story?". I empathise with the characters, but I usually don't want everyone to be happy because that would be boring.
Outside of fiction people are real and anything bad could fall back to me and the people I love. Everyone being happy and having an easy life means that I probably have an easier life too. I apply very different values to real people compared to characters in fiction.

(if you don't want the thread to be shut down maybe don't start the discussion with "are you racist / homophobic?")

(edit 05/17/2024: Didn't the previous version of the question explicitly say that it's not about being attracted to children in anime vs. in real life? Now it's suddenly about sexual preferences too... My answer still applies, just with different examples.)
VaturnaMay 17, 6:27 AM
May 16, 12:19 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to Vaturna
Absolutely not.

Some of my favorite characters in fiction are anti-social psychopaths with superpowers who would murder without a second thought. Meanwhile I often dislike characters that are overly idealistic and selfless, even if I agree with their cause.

In fiction I see everything through a lens of "what's exiting to have in a story?". I empathise with the characters, but I usually don't want everyone to be happy because that would be boring.
Outside of fiction people are real and anything bad could fall back to me and the people I love. Everyone being happy and having an easy life means that I probably have an easier life too. I apply very different values to real people compared to characters in fiction.

(if you don't want the thread to be shut down maybe don't start the discussion with "are you racist / homophobic?")

(edit 05/17/2024: Didn't the previous version of the question explicitly say that it's not about being attracted to children in anime vs. in real life? Now it's suddenly about sexual preferences too... My answer still applies, just with different examples.)
@Vaturna You might've answered the wrong question, I agree we can watch violent shows and love villains but we obviously in real life wouldn't be around them, I'd also argue we like these villains for things like powers, abilities, appearance, voice. I think in any given scenario where its some ugly fucker with glasses, bald fat, annoying voice, but like same ego personality as sukuna we wouldn't say that we'd like that character.

The actual question is.. can you have a belief such as racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc inside of an anime, As in you yourself having this belief on a set of characters, but then in real life not carry it over.

Theres also other things like, Can you be only attracted to milfs in anime, but not be attracted to real milfs, or vice versa!
Zamus_EditsMay 16, 1:20 PM
May 16, 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
Implying that I take anime seriously at all...

More topics from this board

» Have you ever wondered what battle shonen protagonists were like without teeth? Here are Gojo and Luffy

Dije - 15 seconds ago

0 by Dije »»
15 seconds ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - 19 minutes ago

2 by Daviljoe193 »»
1 minute ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1023 by ThijsF »»
9 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

27 by liveleaked »»
14 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - May 12

30 by liveleaked »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.