Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Himmel a one-dimensional character?
Apr 15, 12:40 PM

Nov 2020
After reflection, I think that this "analysis" misses the point of Himmel's character and the anime itself, so I remove it, but I still think that Himmel's character also includes egoism and narcissism xD
Ba-Cii10Apr 15, 3:30 PM
Apr 15, 12:48 PM
Jul 2021
Ba-Cii10 said:
Was Himmel an egoist? or just a narcissist?

All the haters and even the fans, from what I've seen, describe Himmel as a one-dimensional and just a good, stereotypical hero, even though he honestly admits that he helps people for himself (I was reminded a bit of Walter White who finally admits that he doesn't do everything just for the family) to be remembered, not because it has to be, but from the beginning...

At the beginning we see that Himmel pays too much attention to his appearance and considers himself the most beautiful, ok it is presented in a comedic way but nevertheless Frieren perceives it negatively and is irritated when Himmel behaves this way, so we have this feature presented in a negative way and we know that there is something that affects other scenes that may have seemed positive.

So yes, Himmel admits that he helps people to change their lives so that they will remember him, Himmel wants to live forever in people's memories, that's a fact, Himmel is not selfless, he literally drags out the defeat of the demon king just to help random people who will spread the legend about him, he knows that defeating the king of demons is not enough to be remembered and you have to influence people directly (this is shown in episode 28) by the fact that defeating the king is postponed, the war is still taking its toll (of course we do not know what exactly the situation looked like and I may be wrong) but Himmel, who at first glance is mature, seems to always make good decisions and be perfect, in this case he is clearly wrong and is guided by his egoism (of course, it does not have to be only egoism but also the desire to become "long-lived" like an elf to be with Frieren... and now is Himmel really just in love with Frieren?

Of course, he loves her, but it doesn't have to be one-dimensional and there may be a deeper meaning to Himmel's actions, he wants Frieren to remember him, so he tries to influence her in various ways, which worked because most of Frieren's memories are related to him and now... ...I can put on a tinfoil hat, but it seems to me that, considering how egoistic Himmel is, we can safely assume that he recruited Frieren to the squad because he wanted her to keep his memory alive so that, like in the case of Kraft, Himmel's monuments would not be nameless , when we talk about Himmel's monuments, they confirm that Himmel is a narcissist because, under the pretext that Frieren would not feel lonely, he places only his own monuments everywhere, completely omitting Haiter and Eisen, who were also her friends.

Maybe I messed something up and over-interpreted it, but it seems to me that Himmel is not as one-dimensional as everyone claims and his actions can be interpreted in different ways.

Himmel is a nice guy who wants to be like those stereotypical hero. I think people are confusing him with the white knight characters in anime when he isn’t one.
Apr 15, 12:53 PM
Feb 2022
tldr plz? I ain't reading all that
Apr 15, 12:55 PM
May 2022
you are not quite right. Actually Himmel is 2 dimensional character not only he but frieren,stark all of other anime /manga character except few ofcourse
btw no need to thank me ๐Ÿ‘
My mal account is not working properly. In the last 24 hours, there isn't showing any forum discussion.  What should I do?! 
Apr 15, 1:07 PM
Nov 2023
adesh17 said:
you are not quite right. Actually Himmel is 2 dimensional character not only he but frieren,stark all of other anime /manga character except few ofcourse
btw no need to thank me ๐Ÿ‘

It’s surprising how many characters are rendered in 3D these days, but Himmel is a good old fashioned 2D hero!
Apr 15, 1:07 PM
Jul 2023
My opinion on this is that he is absolutely a one dimensional character. HOWEVER, that’s actually completely okay and I feel like that actually compliments the story in it’s own way. Not every character needs a super complicated morality or backstory. Some characters are best at just doing what the character is meant to be in the story. Himmel is the perfect example of a hero. Even though it’s generic it really gives a good reference to other similar hero’s from other franchises and can end up giving a more clear theme for the overall story.
Good writing doesn’t always need every character to be 5 dimensional, in reality what that does is hurt the story unless it’s a character driven drama.
Especially in a anime like frieren where Himmel doesn’t have a major influence in the interaction of the characters, it’s very effective to have a generic character. He serves as a landmark or staple in the show rather than an intricate character
Apr 15, 1:33 PM
Oct 2020
Well said, I agree. At initial glance, Himmel appears to be a stereotypical hero, but he actually is somewhat narcissistic. People view him as being nice, but ultimately he wants to be remembered. Heroes are defined by their intentions, not just actions. He has a complex relationship with Frieren, since he left such a lasting impact on her and that’s what his plan was in recruiting her. But we are also missing a lot of perspective since we only see him in flashbacks and from Frieren’s POV ๐Ÿ‘
TrillJessieApr 15, 5:24 PM
Apr 15, 1:39 PM
Jul 2022
There is also the aspect of his character that wasn't the perfect hero even when he desperately wanted to be. The demon child he wanted to save which led to someone dying or not being able to draw the sword from the stone. He's not the most dynamic or varied character in the series but he doesn't have to be.

I have always found that if a story puts a certain character on a pedastal you should treat them differently because they serve a completely different narrative purpose than other characters. The entire series and specifically Frieren wouldn't work as well if he wasn't the way he was.
Apr 15, 1:42 PM
Apr 2022
Himmel is HIM.
That's all he needs to be.
Apr 15, 1:44 PM

Apr 2021
No he is 2d animated therefore he is a 2 dimensional character
Apr 15, 1:51 PM
Mar 2024
Hmm he is certainly not the most complex character of the cast (doesn't make it any less likable) and we don't have much backstory for him unlike for Frieren. He is kinda depicted as the really nice guy that everyone want to befriend, he is solar, wise, can yet crack a joke out of nowhere, rightful and deeply in love. To his defense he doesn't have that much screen time either and isn't the main focus of story. So that's why his personality appears quite simple a bit like mythological figure IMO.
On the other hand I think in episode 14 we do see a glimpse of another aspect of his personality more playful and egoistic: it was great so I hope we can discover more of his personality latter.
Apr 15, 2:04 PM

Jan 2013
Psychoanalyzing shit that's also thrown in for comedy is a complete waste of time.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Sep 2016
Himmel is indeed quite the good guy gary stu hero, but he's also a conceited giga chad rizzler, so I guess that's 2 dimensional at least.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 15, 3:00 PM
Jan 2021
I think he was made for a singular purpose in the story and he accomplishes that purpose successfully. That is one reason I don't love him as much as most people, and feel like he's gonna keep getting dragged more than the author intended into it since he's so massively popular, but I also don't think he's an uninteresting character, just that he's already dead and can't really develop when flashbacks are all we have and the point is that he stayed true to himself.

All that to say, I said "no opinion" lol. I wouldn't call him one dimensional, but I don't think he was a character made to have much depth
Apr 15, 3:19 PM

Sep 2021
Egoist? Narcissist?

Nope
Himmel is Giga Chad
Apr 15, 3:33 PM

Mar 2023
Himmel pays too much attention to his appearance and considers himself the most beautiful, ok it is presented in a comedic way but nevertheless Frieren perceives it negatively and is irritated when Himmel behaves this way, so we have this feature presented in a negative way

Frieren is not irritated by Himmel and it is not presented in a negative way. Just their banter style.
Your negative view of HIM is a bad read imo.
Apr 15, 4:48 PM
Jun 2020
He is a true selfless hero, and a f#cking narcissist, so no, he isn't one-dimensional.
Apr 15, 4:49 PM

Jan 2024
The egoist/narcissist question is not worth addressing, as Himmel's character scores very low on these personality disorder scales especially in the key lack-of-empathy area. The one dimensionality, however, is an interesting question.

To me it makes sense for Himmel to start out one-dimensional. This story is about Frieren, and how her perception of people around her is changing. As we look through her eyes during the flashbacks, Frieren's personality is incapable of seeing multiple dimensions of people, even people close to her in the hero party. For example, Frieren displays similar annoyance towards Flamme as with Himmel. Calling Flamme: irresponsible, unpleasant, needy, and displaying annoyance towards her / her memory. This is the lens Frieren sees the people around her, and her reactions to Himmel's and his antics are similar.

About postponing the fight with the Demon Lord:

I too thought it strange that Himmel prefers to dungeon crawl and talk about "fun" quests instead of heading straight for the Demon Lord who's minions are clearly burning villages left and right. But what if that all happens AFTER Himmel fails to pull the sword. Once we find out Himmel is NOT the real hero, our entire evaluation of his character / behavior changes - retroactively. Would you rush into battle AFTER you failed to pull the OP hero sword? Or would you level up via dungeon crawling. Doesn't seem egoistic at all.

Also, during the tomb episodes we learn that the hero party learned how to strategize before tough fights during dungeon crawls. A skill that we see Frieren is teaching to Fern before Qual fight in the sand, and which becomes essential before the tomb boss fight as well. Delaying to do more dungeons is again a smart move and clearly pays off.

It's true that Himmel says a lot of things that can be interpreted as "selfish" or even "egoistic" on why he is delaying the Demon Lord fight, but maybe he has to build up self confidence after the sword pull fiasco. But as a good leader, he acts confident.

Now if Himmel WAS the real hero. Then the egoistic angle would be much more fitting. But he is not, is he.
Apr 15, 4:52 PM
Feb 2020
I think it's also important to remember that we aren't seeing the full picture of Himmel as he was. We are presented with Frieren's pleasant memories of him. Id argue it's likely that what we're shown is an idealized perspective.
Apr 15, 5:41 PM
Jan 2021
first of all what does one dimensional character means? sorry im dumb i know it.
Apr 15, 8:04 PM
Aug 2019
He’s got his desire to become a hero and his fondness for Frieren.

There isn’t much screen time with him, and a lot of it is basically message of the week stuff for which he is the vehicle.

I’d say the jury is still out on this one. More info needed.
Apr 16, 2:22 AM
Feb 2021
Of all people, he deserves to be a narcissist the most. As for being flat... yeah, I kinda agree, he's a warm, fuwafuwa character, and that's okay. I just wanna see the old gang drinking tea, eating cake and playing as a band dammit.
Apr 16, 4:39 AM

Feb 2020
Every character in Frieren is one dimensional.

Apr 16, 4:40 AM

Jan 2009
no he is not a saint ye he is wise but he is a narcissist too like you said
Apr 16, 6:01 AM
Mar 2024
Himmel is dead character.
Apr 16, 6:01 AM

Apr 2021
TrillJessie said:
Well said, I agree. At initial glance, Himmel appears to be a stereotypical hero, but he actually is somewhat narcissistic. People view him as being nice, but ultimately he wants to be remembered. Heroes are defined by their intentions, not just actions. He has a complex relationship with Frieren, since he left such a lasting impact on her and that’s what his plan was in recruiting her. But we are also missing a lot of perspective since we only see him in flashbacks and from Frieren’s POV ๐Ÿ‘

If you believe that he only does things to be remembered, then you missed a whole other side to this gentleman
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 16, 6:10 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
If you only watched one episode then yes he was a one-dimensional character :)

That little girl demon scene just assured me completely that Himmel wasn't just another normal kind hero, he was really an impressive one.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Apr 16, 6:34 AM
Oct 2020
I agree with you ej lol
TrillJessieApr 16, 6:40 AM
Apr 16, 6:39 AM
Oct 2020
ejleon said:
TrillJessie said:

If you believe that he only does things to be remembered, then you missed a whole other side to this gentleman

I wouldn’t say that he only does things to be remembered, but the original post was asking whether he was a one-dimensional character. I don’t believe that he is, since that would mean that he is only a hero and he does things for the sake of being good and helping others. I don’t think that’s always true because even Frieren is confused and wants to know why he recruited her. After reading other analyses, I would say that he is definitely a hero, but he sometimes has his own selfish goals just like we do. So from what we’ve seen, he isn’t the most complex character, but he isn’t one-dimensional
TrillJessieApr 16, 6:43 AM
Apr 16, 7:01 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to TrillJessie
ejleon said:
TrillJessie said:

I wouldn’t say that he only does things to be remembered, but the original post was asking whether he was a one-dimensional character. I don’t believe that he is, since that would mean that he is only a hero and he does things for the sake of being good and helping others. I don’t think that’s always true because even Frieren is confused and wants to know why he recruited her. After reading other analyses, I would say that he is definitely a hero, but he sometimes has his own selfish goals just like we do. So from what we’ve seen, he isn’t the most complex character, but he isn’t one-dimensional
@TrillJessie Thank you for explaining, I think I understand now.

I thought he picked her because he could tell that she was the best and that she needed to be around people more.

It seems like he had a type of 6th sense about those things.

At least that’s how the anime made me think.
ejleonApr 17, 6:37 AM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 16, 11:23 AM

Jun 2016
He is a bit one dimensional and simple yes, but we only get to know him as Frieren remembers him, and it's the point of the manga that she, in fact, didn't really knew him.
Apr 16, 8:46 PM

Nov 2013
I can see that you btfo due to self-reflection.

Now if only you can do the same for the several other anime you troll TC.
Apr 16, 10:55 PM
Dec 2020
He barely appear and when appear he only in flashback from frieren only point of view.
So you really can't judge him.
But something that i know from that is that He's narcissist, kinda have dirty mind, absolutely brave, and incredibly kind
Apr 17, 1:28 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to DGemu
I can see that you btfo due to self-reflection.

Now if only you can do the same for the several other anime you troll TC.
@DGemu XD? where am I trolling?
Apr 21, 7:27 AM
Apr 2024
Kurasaki_Kenji said:
first of all what does one dimensional character means? sorry im dumb i know it.

characters which does not undergo much character development.
Apr 21, 7:31 AM
Jan 2021
Anvi_goddard said:
Kurasaki_Kenji said:

characters which does not undergo much character development.

ouhhh thank you so much
Apr 21, 9:24 AM

Sep 2023
No, Himmel is a zero-dimensional character
Apr 22, 4:42 AM
May 2023
Reply to yodebqzz
No, Himmel is a zero-dimensional character
Compared today's male characters he's quite a simple-minded, positive and curious character why people is raising this question about him being a 1d or 2d character maybe because he's not a perverted, entitled or creepy man ๐Ÿค” he lives on his beliefs and trust himself ngl once in a time watching this kind of male characters are indeed refreshing over those bunch of Shounen/ harem ones. Himmel and tanjiro are some gentle and non-perverted male characters we've got in recent times and they're aware of their duties very well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

822 by Seruroku »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

585 by BlueSnow93 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » "Sousou no Frieren" Adult Adaptation has been announced ( 1 2 )

deg - May 16

53 by Ionliosite2 »»
Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Will Season 2 be just as good?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 22

29 by Pinoffin »»
Yesterday, 11:05 AM

» A question about Himmel (spoiler)

ColourWheel - May 22

12 by sjabeen »»
Yesterday, 12:38 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.