Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 21, 8:44 PM
Apr 2012
SAND LAND: THE SERIES takes the 106-minute movie and re-edits it into the first six 24-minute episodes. There is 20 minutes of new footage (not including opening and ending theme songs). Episodes 1-6 are labeled the "Akuma no Ōji" (Prince of Demons) arc.

Episodes 7-13 is new material and is labeled "Tenshi no Yūsha" (Angelic Heroes) arc, with the story set in a new location called "Forest Land."

SAND LAND: THE SERIES will debut its first seven episodes (#1-7) simultaneously on Disney+ worldwide (Hulu in the U.S.) on March 20, 2024. The remaining six episodes (#8-13) will then be released weekly. Episode 8 will be out March 27th, 2024. If the schedule remains the same, then the final episode (#13) will release on May 1st, 2024.

(Source: Anime News Network)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/sand-land/the-series-anime/episodes-1-6/.208391

Also, the game just released the demo yesterday (March 19th, 2024) and will be releasing the full game on April 25th, 2024.

Additionally, a recent trailer confirms that the game will adapt both arcs. However, the series might have some unique scenes. I'm watching the series and playing the game. I recommend you all do the same.

Conclusion: Watch the series over the movie, and play the game.

Demo trailer below:
Shining_FalconMar 22, 8:29 AM
Apr 2, 6:26 PM
Captain

Jun 2014
Hey man, thanks a lot for the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Minutes ago I didn't know about this Toriyama series but found out due to the game.
Apr 3, 5:26 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Kuroiji
Hey man, thanks a lot for the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Minutes ago I didn't know about this Toriyama series but found out due to the game.
@Kuroiji No problem. Happy to help.

Toriyama actually did quite a bit of work over the course of his career: Dr. Slump was first in 1980. Dragon Ball followed it from 1984 to 1995. And Sand Land followed that in 2000. The other big thing he did was work as a Character Designer for the Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Blue Dragon game series. And that's why apart from all these famous series, I recommend trying to get 2 lesser known Toriyama books: the 30th anniversary Dragon Quest artbook and his collection of one-shot manga stories: Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater.

Dragon Quest Illustrations: 30th Anniversary Edition (Review Link below)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragon-quest-illustrations/30th-anniversary-edition/artbook/.139637

Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater

Apr 9, 12:25 AM

Nov 2012
tryna avoid spoilers, I was gonna watch this first, then the series then get to the game after both...but I can't find this online atm but can find the first 9 eps of the series...is the movie and series basically the same content?
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 9, 7:23 AM
Apr 2012
Reply to JVskunkape
tryna avoid spoilers, I was gonna watch this first, then the series then get to the game after both...but I can't find this online atm but can find the first 9 eps of the series...is the movie and series basically the same content?
@JVskunkape The answer to that was in the first sentence of this topic, but I'll restate it to avoid confusion.

Movie's blu-ray is not out yet, so you can't watch it online. You should just watch the series instead because it has new footage. SAND LAND: THE SERIES takes the 106-minute movie and re-edits it into the first six 24-minute episodes with 20 minutes of new footage (not including opening and ending theme songs).

SAND LAND: THE SERIES released its first seven episodes (#1-7) simultaneously on Disney+ worldwide on March 20, 2024. The remaining six episodes (#8-13) will then be released weekly. If the schedule remains the same, then the final episode (#13) will release on May 1st, 2024. 9 episodes are currently available. Episode 10 releases tomorrow (April 10th).

Then you can play the game which will have the most content/side-missions to show more characters and world-building than in the series, but the game doesn't release until April 25th, 2024 (6 days before the final episode of the series (May 1st).
Apr 9, 8:41 AM

Nov 2012
Reply to Shining_Falcon
@JVskunkape The answer to that was in the first sentence of this topic, but I'll restate it to avoid confusion.

Movie's blu-ray is not out yet, so you can't watch it online. You should just watch the series instead because it has new footage. SAND LAND: THE SERIES takes the 106-minute movie and re-edits it into the first six 24-minute episodes with 20 minutes of new footage (not including opening and ending theme songs).

SAND LAND: THE SERIES released its first seven episodes (#1-7) simultaneously on Disney+ worldwide on March 20, 2024. The remaining six episodes (#8-13) will then be released weekly. If the schedule remains the same, then the final episode (#13) will release on May 1st, 2024. 9 episodes are currently available. Episode 10 releases tomorrow (April 10th).

Then you can play the game which will have the most content/side-missions to show more characters and world-building than in the series, but the game doesn't release until April 25th, 2024 (6 days before the final episode of the series (May 1st).
@Shining_Falcon yeah sorry like I said I was mostly skimming without reading much properly to avoid any potential spoilers, but thought this would be a decent thread to ask in.

Appreciate the response and info! Thank you. Maybe I will do the series first then play the game and save this movie for a later rewatch down the road.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 9, 9:58 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to JVskunkape
@Shining_Falcon yeah sorry like I said I was mostly skimming without reading much properly to avoid any potential spoilers, but thought this would be a decent thread to ask in.

Appreciate the response and info! Thank you. Maybe I will do the series first then play the game and save this movie for a later rewatch down the road.
@JVskunkape No worries. And same plan as me. Enjoy the watch.

Also quick point, I can confirm that for the new arc in episode 7, they do slightly edit the opening and ending animations. Pay careful attention when watching and you'll notice the difference.
May 13, 12:40 PM
May 2021
Glad I started watching the anime directly!
Jun 20, 8:33 AM

Jan 2024
Does anyone know if the movie version will release on any streaming services?
I want to watch it too.
I want to watch a lot of things, and I will also try to watch everything related to them. However, this sometimes is an impossible task because some of them seem to be lost media.

Jun 20, 12:19 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Sonply
Does anyone know if the movie version will release on any streaming services?
I want to watch it too.
@Sonply TV series is much easier to get a hold of...but if you insist on the movie, I can confirm the movie did have a screening at a my local convention (Anime North) and might have a screening at a local convention near you due to Akira Toriyama's passing.

As for finding it online, the Japanese blu-ray is out, so it has been posted online. If you want to torrent it, go ahead. If you want to stream it on a site like Anitaku (Used to be called Gogoanime, but the current URL is "Anitaku"), then knock yourself out. Enjoy. But I just think the first 6 episodes of the TV series are the better watch and has 20 minutes of new footage (NOT including the opening and ending theme songs).
Jun 20, 1:12 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to Shining_Falcon
@Sonply TV series is much easier to get a hold of...but if you insist on the movie, I can confirm the movie did have a screening at a my local convention (Anime North) and might have a screening at a local convention near you due to Akira Toriyama's passing.

As for finding it online, the Japanese blu-ray is out, so it has been posted online. If you want to torrent it, go ahead. If you want to stream it on a site like Anitaku (Used to be called Gogoanime, but the current URL is "Anitaku"), then knock yourself out. Enjoy. But I just think the first 6 episodes of the TV series are the better watch and has 20 minutes of new footage (NOT including the opening and ending theme songs).
@Shining_Falcon
I get it, and I have already watched the series. But, I want to watch everything related to what I watch so that includes this movie.
Where I live is very hard to find conventions, specially with movie exibits, so that will be hard.

The 2 other options you mentioned seem to not have the movie version at all, so I think I'll eventually have to buy the DVD...
I was asking mostly because if a streaming on some country has it, could be cheaper for me to get it, in legal ways.

I want to watch a lot of things, and I will also try to watch everything related to them. However, this sometimes is an impossible task because some of them seem to be lost media.

Jun 26, 7:46 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to Sonply
@Shining_Falcon
I get it, and I have already watched the series. But, I want to watch everything related to what I watch so that includes this movie.
Where I live is very hard to find conventions, specially with movie exibits, so that will be hard.

The 2 other options you mentioned seem to not have the movie version at all, so I think I'll eventually have to buy the DVD...
I was asking mostly because if a streaming on some country has it, could be cheaper for me to get it, in legal ways.

@Sonply I just double-checked. You're correct. No streaming site seems to have the movie at all. I think its available on the torrents but I have no idea if it there was a version with English subtitles. Ah well. Wait until the DVD/Blu-ray releases eventually and go from there. But since you have seen the series, I think you're good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sand Land Episode 1 Discussion

Tatsunami - Aug 23, 2023

6 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

» Anyone help??

Haroldinho07 - Dec 11, 2023

3 by Shining_Falcon »»
Mar 21, 8:37 PM

» The "SAND LAND" movie version releases on Blu-ray & DVD in Japan on May 29, English subtitles listed

deg - Jan 30

0 by deg »»
Jan 30, 11:50 PM

» New Trailer and Cast

ryzxgum - Apr 2, 2023

3 by deg »»
Aug 14, 2023 12:01 AM

» Akira Toriyama's SAND LAND Manga Gets Anime Film on August 18

deg - Mar 21, 2023

8 by FMmatron »»
Apr 3, 2023 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.