Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 7, 1:46 PM
Feb 2020
Its no hidden fact that this show has been a hit in the last season & frankly staying quite strong this current season as well.

They have pulled a lot of stops like using the same famous 40+minute on first day with Yaosobi singing the Opening Theme Song, pretty much the same stops co-incidentally or otherwise as last season hit show Oshi No Ko. Not to mention Madhouse producing the show.

How come this show doesn't have a huge membership? How come this show couldn't generate enough interest among MAL members to mark it as a plan to watch?

Hell as of now its Rank 1 with such a great score.

This show really deserve a much bigger membership & incidentally much more viewership.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 7, 2:00 PM
Feb 2021
I agree that it deserves more membership, but keep in mind that this is a series that's new
Mar 7, 2:05 PM

Sep 2016
I don't see any problem, it's steadily going up in the pop ranking and will keep doing so for a long time even after it finished.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 7, 2:07 PM

Apr 2020
Could be:
- Not everyone's into Fantasy. Worse even, some people may be sick of it thanks to the overload of bad Isekai of the last few years.
- While the manga is far from being obscure, it's still no Shonen Jump or even just a Shueisha publication.
- While not overly profound, it's still neither action focused nor as easily digestable as other a lot more popular shows.
- There's more anime now than ever that's easily and readily available to watch at any time. Except for maybe 3 or 4 super popular anime, most people are probably not watching the anime in the same season that it begins airing.

Still, half a mill is a more than respectable number for a show like this. Relax.
Mar 7, 2:26 PM
Feb 2021
Over half a million members is nothing to scoff at. I’d say that’s far from unpopular.

Most of what’s above it wouldn’t be considered “unpopular” either. The only reason this show isn’t higher is because it’s still new.

To compare with another series, Dress-Up Darling only recently passed the 1 million mark, 2 years after it began airing, and it was a juggernaut in its season. Give Frieren more time and it’s climb the ranks too.
Mar 7, 2:31 PM
Jun 2021
Kays90 said:
Its no hidden fact that this show has been a hit in the last season & frankly staying quite strong this current season as well.

They have pulled a lot of stops like using the same famous 40+minute on first day with Yaosobi singing the Opening Theme Song, pretty much the same stops co-incidentally or otherwise as last season hit show Oshi No Ko. Not to mention Madhouse producing the show.

How come this show doesn't have a huge membership? How come this show couldn't generate enough interest among MAL members to mark it as a plan to watch?

This show really deserve a much bigger membership & incidentally much more viewership.

Firstly is new and it also may be a shounen but its not chainsawman or jjk so people who only watch bloody action or plain romance won’t watch it. Lots of people don’t watch anime with these themes
Mar 7, 2:52 PM
Mar 2021
A lot of sequels have aired recently so people are naturally gravitating towards those before starting new shows.
Mar 7, 2:58 PM
Jul 2021
Almost 600k members is a lot for a brand new show, look at Oshi no ko it’s at 750k memebrs on MAL and it came out 6 months before frieren. Once frieren ends in a couple weeks Oshi no ko and frieren will be near a similar size in members.
Mar 7, 3:19 PM
Nov 2015
And there are lots of people who wait until the show has ended so they could binge it.
Mar 7, 3:46 PM

Apr 2020
It doesn't. Membership numbers are decent.

It's not underrated. It's not overrated. It's rated. And that is fine.
Mar 7, 4:17 PM

Nov 2020
I think it's good, it's not the quantity but the quality that counts, it's nice that it's mainly watched by people who are interested in it and don't follow the hype and complain xD and besides, over 500,000 is not a small number
Mar 7, 4:24 PM

Nov 2021
It has more than 500k members and it hasn't even finished airing. That's not unpopular at all
You've got to understand not every anime user uses myanimelist and also a lot of people might not be into fantasy genre.

I'd reckon it'll reach the one million in the next 6 months easily.
Mar 7, 4:45 PM
Sep 2021
this show is far from unpopular dude. Its literally no1 on mal for now. obviously like all great shows.. it'll go down. In terms of membership, literally means nothing in the eyes of the Japanese broadcasters. Mal is a western site so they aren't paying too much attention to it so it really won't affect if it gets a second season or not.

The views and support speaks for themselves honestly in terms of mal support. there's no need to delve too deeply into members specifically
Mar 7, 5:06 PM
Mar 2023
560,000+ members for a brand new show while in its initial airing season is still beyond amazing numbers especially on MAL.
Mar 7, 5:36 PM

Oct 2014
It has a very high number of members. It has the highest member count in its season and by a pretty decent margin, which considering Spy x Family and Shield Hero are its competition is pretty impressive. You can't expect a show to be pulling KNY numbers when it's not even finished airing its first season.
Mar 7, 6:35 PM

Sep 2018
#379 is very good for an anime that's currently airing. It will just keep growing.
Just a casual anime watcher
Mar 7, 7:11 PM
Jan 2021
some people just don't care just like how I have no desire to watch FMA
Mar 7, 7:55 PM
May 2023
what the first ep was 40+ minutes??? I watched it and remember it being 26 min
Mar 7, 7:56 PM
May 2023
Merve2Love said:
It doesn't. Membership numbers are decent.

It's not underrated. It's not overrated. It's rated. And that is fine.

exactly. people call everything underrated or overrated all the time for nothing
Mar 7, 8:12 PM

Jan 2023
500k members for a new seasonal is a relatively rare occurrence and remember that these are just MAL members, the actual viewership number is even higher.
Mar 7, 10:44 PM
Sep 2021
Menternor said:
Could be:
- Not everyone's into Fantasy. Worse even, some people may be sick of it thanks to the overload of bad Isekai of the last few years.
- While the manga is far from being obscure, it's still no Shonen Jump or even just a Shueisha publication.
- While not overly profound, it's still neither action focused nor as easily digestable as other a lot more popular shows.
- There's more anime now than ever that's easily and readily available to watch at any time. Except for maybe 3 or 4 super popular anime, most people are probably not watching the anime in the same season that it begins airing.

Still, half a mill is a more than respectable number for a show like this. Relax.

eh most people who complain about " bad isekai " don't even watch them lol
Mar 7, 10:54 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to takuseal
@takuseal nah you right I just checked crunchyroll the first episode is credited at 26 min so no idea where that person get 40 min but must be a mistake with another show.
Mar 7, 10:55 PM
May 2023
Otakupervert890 said:
@takuseal nah you right I just checked crunchyroll the first episode is credited at 26 min so no idea where that person get 40 min but must be a mistake with another show.

no worries is all good o7
Mar 7, 11:06 PM

Oct 2019
600k members before the show has even stopped airing is definitely not small. It's actually a LOT. Depending on how good and regularly recommended/talked about the show is, it can easily get to the top 100 within 2-3 years.

Right now friren has no members than solo leveling, the second season of mushoku tensei, and the second season of spy x family.

Hell it's about as popular as vinland saga season 2 already!

So the answer to your "why so little members" question is that, it's not little at all. you are probably just comparing it to other shows that have had a longer time to gather new members.

With members being ever-growing "since you can't exactly unwatch a show" newer shows are always lower that what you would expect. that's normal.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 7, 11:47 PM
Nov 2018
Some people are not just satisfied
Mar 8, 1:28 AM
Jan 2023
it's new show with time it'll have more members for sure but not sure about score it may decrease but most probably it'll remain in Top 10 bcuz I've never seen any new show that remain in #1 for such a long period, I've seen many new show that started with banger but with time after more members they pushed down the score and not to mention haters are living there lives for this purpose only.
Mar 8, 1:37 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Moppit
Some people are not just satisfied
@Moppit Well those who are liking a show just can't be satisfied with relatively low viewership.

We expect the show to attract & reach more & more people to share fun.
Mar 8, 1:47 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Animo_san
it's new show with time it'll have more members for sure but not sure about score it may decrease but most probably it'll remain in Top 10 bcuz I've never seen any new show that remain in #1 for such a long period, I've seen many new show that started with banger but with time after more members they pushed down the score and not to mention haters are living there lives for this purpose only.
@Animo_san As I see it that slightly low score actually reflect the true value show.

This show for sure will remain in Top 10 & this show really need more memberships (viewership to be more precise) to really solidify its place among the minds of viewers.

Low memberships cast doubt about the true quality of show in the mind of prospective as he/she will suspect foul play (manipulative scoring).
Mar 8, 1:49 AM

Jan 2009
Popularity #379 out of 20,000+ anime on myanimelist is great
Mar 8, 1:53 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Sagepool
Kays90 said:

Firstly is new and it also may be a shounen but its not chainsawman or jjk so people who only watch bloody action or plain romance won’t watch it. Lots of people don’t watch anime with these themes
@Sagepool Its not that new, sure its still airing but lets not forget that its a 2 cour 28 episode show.

Some current season fresh shows have similar viewership & are not that far from this show in terms of memberships.

For reference: Solo Levelling has around 80K fewer members (with lesser proportion of dropped & hold members) than this show. Not to forget that Solo Levelling started 3 months (aka 13-14 weeks after Freiren).
Mar 8, 2:05 AM

Jan 2020
This anime gained the attention of 568k members so far since it's still new, and the number will significantly increase after it finishes airing (some people prefer to binge-watch) or when this series gets renewed of course.

Otherwise, a rating of 9.15 (ranked #1 currently in MAL) can tell us how popular this anime is right now.
RaiYouMar 8, 2:14 AM

Mar 8, 2:26 AM
Jul 2022
Nah bro, I think it's going really well. Oshi no Ko was already a really popular Manga compared to Frieren and it's Anime really blew up and so it has many members on MAL so early.

Frieren has also become so popular, both in the west and Japan. It's always trending on Twitter whenever a new ep drops and it has huge engagement. Just wait a few more months and you'll see more members for it too. It's growing pretty fast, imo.
Mar 8, 3:50 AM
Nov 2017
Membership rises usually at the start of the show. Then at the end of the show when people start to rate the anime as a whole and look for others' thoughts. Then it will go higher steadily as more people, especially influencers, recommend it. Nothing wrong with current number of membership.
Mar 8, 4:25 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Otakupervert890
@Otakupervert890 Its no mistake. Actually first 2 episodes were released simultaneously on first day.

Each episode is of roughly 20 minutes content, so I mentioned 40 minutes.
Mar 8, 4:25 AM
Sep 2020
Easy. Because it's not action focused show 🗿
Mar 8, 4:33 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to takuseal
@takuseal I never mentioned first episode being of 40 minutes.

I mentioned 40+minutes on first day. It was just that as 2 episodes were released on the first day.
Mar 8, 5:16 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

437 by LeCyyy »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

541 by noah_424 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2023

234 by robfeemster »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

838 by blessofcurse »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 19

241 by hechopicha »»
Yesterday, 7:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.