Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 26, 2023 11:49 AM

Apr 2022
Which character among these is the biggest Gary Stu/Mary Sue?

This is limited to characters from the top 10 most popular anime on the site. If I should have put another character on this poll, please tell me which and why.

I would prefer you vote in the poll before clicking on this spoiler tag.

ScionOfCyanJun 26, 2023 12:33 PM
Jun 26, 2023 11:52 AM

Sep 2018
None of these characters are flawless gary stues, and Mikasa is a woman.
Jun 26, 2023 12:23 PM

Jun 2016
Kira Yamato is the only valid answer.   
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 26, 2023 12:23 PM
Jan 2021
Saitama is a Gary Sue,  This is more or less (but rather more than less) the point.
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Jun 26, 2023 12:35 PM

Apr 2022
rohan121 said:
None of these characters are flawless gary stues, and Mikasa is a woman.
Edited in Mary Sue for comprehension.

Who would you consider to be a Gary Stu (any anime)? If you exclude all these characters I suspect your definition is narrow to the point of losing the whole point of the term Gary Stu, i.e. to the point of uselessness.
Jun 26, 2023 12:37 PM

Feb 2020
Aida Mana from Doki Doki! Pretty Cure gets my vote.
Jun 26, 2023 12:45 PM
Jan 2018
C'mon bro. Mikasa is a Mary Sue not a Gary Stu. You know this. She's ineligible.

And Saitama is a gag character. He might as well be god as far as these other characters are concerned. He ineligible because he ruins any list that claims fairness. Even a Gary Stu list. I guess took himself out of the conversation with one punch.

Personally I don't think you can be a Gary Stu if you are little fish in a big pond. Tanjiro can't be a Gary Stu because he's just a regular degular plot armor MC whose story will eventually make him invincible. Everything he pulls off is based on Muzan not taking him seriously enough to kill Tanjiro himself.

I don't think chosen one plot armor is enough to be a Gary Stu. To be a Gary Stu or Mary Sue you gotta be un beateable. Even when you lose you don't really lose. Kirito is probably the closest to embodying that ideal. 

But my two MC's are Tanya from Youjo Senki and Tatsuya Shiba from the irregular at magic high school.

OP, in general shows with unbeatable characters aren't mega popular. The masses like to see their heroes struggle for their win. You can get around at in a gag manga, but people enjoy the suffering because it makes the win feel sweeter. That being said I get how Tanjiro is slowly but sure breaking the rules of the show. But it is a shonen anime and no matter how well explained a MC's power up is, people will always find a reason to complain. Tanjiro is trying to beat the strongest guy around who has been alive for 100's of years. Let Tanjiro cheat. He needs to if he wants to pull the W.
Jun 26, 2023 12:57 PM

Apr 2022
@MFDOOMED

Kind of also addressed to OldGeezer but you seem likelier to reply.

I suppose the definition of Gary Stu that took form in my mind is not the conventional use. Since we are talking about characters I thought it made the most sense to conceptualize a Gary Stu from the perspective of character construction. Unreasonably flawless or skilled as a character, not because of some quirk of worldbuilding. So for example Saitama struggles to collaborate with people, appears to have no family or friends, appears totally depressed. On pretty much every measure, relative to his age, Tanjiro is tied with or beats everyone he meets. He’s smarter. He has more physical potential. He’s better at collaborating with and inspiring others. He’s more empathetic. He has stronger family bonds. Does he have personality/character weaknesses? Not that I’ve seen…

Perhaps my way of thinking about it is bad because nobody uses the definition of Gary Stu in that way. Your thoughts are welcome.
Jun 26, 2023 1:07 PM
Jan 2021
ScionOfCyan said:
@MFDOOMED

I suppose the definition of Gary Stu that took form in my mind is not the conventional use. Since we are talking about characters I thought it made the most sense to conceptualize a Gary Stu from the perspective of character construction. Unreasonably flawless or skilled as a character, not because of some quirk of worldbuilding. So for example Saitama struggles to collaborate with people, appears to have no family or friends, appears totally depressed. On pretty much every measure, relative to his age, Tanjiro is tied with or beats everyone he meets. He’s smarter. He has more physical potential. He’s better at collaborating with and inspiring others. He’s more empathetic. He has stronger family bonds. Does he have personality/character weaknesses? Not that I’ve seen…

Perhaps my way of thinking about it is bad because nobody uses the definition of Gary Stu in that way. Your thoughts are welcome.

I would have to agree that there can be several definitions of "Gary Sue" and that under many of them Saitama is not a Gary Sue   (My comment was more or less (but rather more than less) a joke).  

William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Jun 26, 2023 1:09 PM

Feb 2023
Why the heck is a parody character like Saitama even an option here?
Jun 26, 2023 1:14 PM

Apr 2022
old_geezer said:
ScionOfCyan said:
@MFDOOMED

I would have to agree that there can be several definitions of "Gary Sue" and that under many of them Saitama is not a Gary Sue   (My comment was more or less (but rather more than less) a joke).  

Haha thanks. I know they say that explaining the joke makes it less funny but since my comprehension fail is what led to that I appreciate it nonetheless.
Jun 26, 2023 1:41 PM

May 2019
The Sword Art Online Black Swordsman.
Jun 26, 2023 1:48 PM

Jul 2015
The only Gary Stu/Mary Sue on this list are Kirito and Mikasa.

Jun 28, 2023 3:00 AM

Aug 2020
From the list it's Tanjiro.

StyxParadise said:
Why the heck is a parody character like Saitama even an option here?
yeah defo not Saitama.
Jun 28, 2023 3:11 AM

Apr 2012
Gari Sue - Light Yagami, Kirito, Tatsuya Shiba, Kazuma and Subaru as a parody or deconstruction.
Mary Sue - Suletta Mercury, Miyuki Shiba, Bakarina as parody and deconstruction at the same time.

I won't talk about the list, looks like OP just picked the most trendy male protagonists.
Jun 28, 2023 6:15 AM
Jun 2023

There is no such thing.

RobertBobert said:

I won't talk about the list, looks like OP just picked the most trendy male protagonists.
We already know how cool and edgy you are.
Jun 28, 2023 11:30 AM

Apr 2022
If the respondents don't know a lot of the options in a poll, hard to get good results.

I posted this as a thought experiment because I just watched seasons of Kimetsu no Yaiba for the first time and Tanjiro struck me as a particularly flawless character. Not in the sense that he is a god among men or anything, but think of the definition literally. Flaw + less. I never see the creator show a personality limitation that makes him struggle to make the moral mistake (in the moral matrix the creator clearly follows) or struggle to achieve the peak in a skill (compared to any person of a similar level of development). This applies to nobody else on the list whose series I have watched. Even Kirito has a clear personal limitation which leads to consequences that hurt him or his friends.

Of people who replied, TRC_Randy appears to be most on my wavelength. I expect the people who voted thought of the definition MFDOOMED thought of when they made Kirito the runaway winner.

P.S. Replies that simply say "X is not a Gary Stu" win the midwit award as I think it should be fairly clear that "who is the biggest Gary Stu" should be interpreted to "who is the closest to a Gary Stu on the metric of 'Gary Stuness'" in context. To avoid using that interpretation is simply to try to be more right than your interlocutor for a clever reason.
Jun 28, 2023 11:51 AM

Apr 2022
I'm a bit surprised Gon Freecss didn't get more Tanjiro-esque votes but HxH does have its "Enforcer" meme that basically informs you that you should think of Gon as "intellectually dumb," whereas Kimetsu wants us to think that Tanjiro is also clever and strategic right from the first episode.
Jun 28, 2023 12:28 PM
Nov 2019
ScionOfCyan said:
[...]
The question is vague and will depend on how you, personally, conceptualize Gary Stu. I would love to see people's rationales and definitions in the comments.
I don't think characters like Light Yagami and Edward Elric really fit in this list. 

As to why, we can look at a definition:
A Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a character archetype in fiction, usually a young woman/men, who is often portrayed as inexplicably competent across all domains, gifted with unique talents or powers, liked or respected by most other characters, unrealistically free of weaknesses, extremely attractive, innately virtuous, and/or generally lacking meaningful character flaws. Almost always the main character, a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish fulfillment.
Neither Light nor Edward are "unrealistically free of weaknesses, generally lacking meaningful character flaws, idealized self-insert" and Light is definitely not "innately virtuous" (nor would I describe Edward as "extremely attractive").

Sure, characters don't necessarily have to tick all of these boxes/characteristics to be considered a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but since you did point out multiple characters who do, Light and Edward seem a bit out of place. Also: Saitama should definitely not be there.  

As far as the list goes, I'd say Midoriya Izuku is the biggest Gary Stu, followed probably by Naruto. 

Other Mary Sue/Gary Stu that would fit the list:
- Conan Edogawa (Detective Conan)
- Miyako Shikimori (Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san)
- Nate River (Death Note) (he's in my opinion a better fit)
- Koro-sensei (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu) (at least from what I remember of season 1, haven't seen season 2 yet)
- Chisato Nishikigi (Lycoris Recoil)
- Takumi Usui (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!)
- Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)
Jun 28, 2023 12:58 PM

Apr 2022
Yveltal1612 said:
ScionOfCyan said:
[...]
The question is vague and will depend on how you, personally, conceptualize Gary Stu. I would love to see people's rationales and definitions in the comments.
I don't think characters like Light Yagami and Edward Elric really fit in this list. 

As to why, we can look at a definition:
A Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a character archetype in fiction, usually a young woman/men, who is often portrayed as inexplicably competent across all domains, gifted with unique talents or powers, liked or respected by most other characters, unrealistically free of weaknesses, extremely attractive, innately virtuous, and/or generally lacking meaningful character flaws. Almost always the main character, a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish fulfillment.
Neither Light nor Edward are "unrealistically free of weaknesses, generally lacking meaningful character flaws, idealized self-insert" and Light is definitely not "innately virtuous" (nor would I describe Edward as "extremely attractive").

Sure, characters don't necessarily have to tick all of these boxes/characteristics to be considered a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but since you did point out multiple characters who do, Light and Edward seem a bit out of place. Also: Saitama should definitely not be there.  

As far as the list goes, I'd say Midoriya Izuku is the biggest Gary Stu, followed probably by Naruto. 

Other Mary Sue/Gary Stu that would fit the list:
- Conan Edogawa (Detective Conan)
- Miyako Shikimori (Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san)
- Nate River (Death Note) (he's in my opinion a better fit)
- Koro-sensei (Ansatsu Kyoushitsu) (at least from what I remember of season 1, haven't seen season 2 yet)
- Chisato Nishikigi (Lycoris Recoil)
- Takumi Usui (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!)
- Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)
Great reply, thank you for that. I need to revisit Death Note, I don’t remember Nate River.
Jun 28, 2023 1:11 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Which character among these is the biggest penaldo/LeMickey?

Jun 28, 2023 1:17 PM

Dec 2018
Kirito and Pokémon XYZ Ash are close to being one and Pokémon Journeys Ash is one

Jun 28, 2023 1:37 PM

Sep 2021
Free my boys Kaneki and Gon, they don't belong here and of course Light is anything but flawless
Jun 29, 2023 3:56 PM
Jan 2018
ScionOfCyan said:
@MFDOOMED

I think the context of the story, what it's trying to pull of and the quote unquote competence of the writer define what makes a character a Gary Stu or a Mary Sue. Most competently written shonen give our MC's a weakness to stop him or her from just taking down everyone. It also gives them an opportunity for character growth. But there are so many different ways to write a story.

A guy like adult Goku or Luffy don't really grow so much as influence others to grow. Then you also have characters whose struggles set them apart from everyone else. Saitama achieved what most shonen characters have always wanted. He has ultimate power which led to ultimate boredom. But when you put his character in the context of a parody story, his strength and existential problems no longer matter.

Writing is almost all about context, so I find it strange that there could be any definition of a flawless character that doesn't take into account the author's intention. As a person interacting with the story you can either view Saitama as a joke character whose existence mocks the very idea of a flawless character or you can be ill informed on the context and incorrectly assume facts about a characters composition. I suppose you could also make a bad faith argument, but that clearly does not apply to the OP in this article.

I think we are basically saying the exact same thing using different words, also there are way too many characters to break down in the aspect of why they qualify as Gary Stu or Mary Sue. So lets do this instead.

Tanya from Youjo Senki was originally a Gary Stu in the real world in the style of Japanese storytelling. If he had a flaw, it was being to much of a dick. In the story he gets a guy fired who pushes the MC onto subway tracks leading to a swift death and a rebirth in an isekai version of WWI. In the new world he keeps the "flaw" of being a dick, but he is so good at his new job that "God" creates new obstacles just to give a chance to lose. And yet Tanya still pulls the W. Tanya as a character is imo the perfect embodiment of a Gary Stu or Mary Sue. It's not just the world building. This guy doesn't lose.

One last thing. You can call it my personal opinion, but if an author creates a situation where the MC has to win or die, an MC going plus ultra, surpassing limits or doing anything else they need to survive doesn't make them a Gary Stu or Mary Sue. I've never been a fan of people throwing the term Gary Stu around just because a character wins by the power of friendship or some other such shonen nonsense. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Interestingly enough, in the last season of Demon Slayer, Tanjiro is finally given an impossible situation that's supposed to serve a character test. Keyword being supposed to. Whenever you get to this part of the story, either by anime or manga, perhaps you will come to the same conclusion as myself. These authors have strengths and weaknesses and it's better to enjoy their strengths than focus on their weaknesses. There are a lot less headaches that way.

Jun 29, 2023 9:59 PM

Apr 2022
MFDOOMED said:
ScionOfCyan said:
@MFDOOMED

One last thing. You can call it my personal opinion, but if an author creates a situation where the MC has to win or die, an MC going plus ultra, surpassing limits or doing anything else they need to survive doesn't make them a Gary Stu or Mary Sue. I've never been a fan of people throwing the term Gary Stu around just because a character wins by the power of friendship or some other such shonen nonsense. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Much of what you said reflects the sort of statements I would make about on this topic but in different words. I just wanted to note that I strongly agree with this part in particular.

More topics from this board

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

28 by CaptainKenshiro »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you like seeing girls getting beaten in battle shouen training arcs?

Catalano - Yesterday

11 by UberBat »»
10 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

34 by CaptainKenshiro »»
15 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

107 by Entity72 »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

96 by DesuMaiden »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.