Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 24, 2022 2:49 AM

May 2020
After rewatching Kill la Kill and feeling like it got better on the 2nd viewing, I had the hopes that Gurren Lagann would follow this patch as well, as its more or less seen as a better kill la kill. However, it is a fairly generic show once you already know the story.

The first few episodes are a drag to get through, and Kamina's death really just doesnt hit very hard when you know its coming. Rossiu's characters post time skip is just as insufferable to watch. The action and humor are still on par with being amazing, but I do think this is one of the few shows that gets worse the more you watch it
Jun 24, 2022 3:07 AM
May 2016
Or even after first watch... or after you've already watched SnK, because it's a weaker version of it.

It was good at the time it aired, because there were less good shows. But if you compare it to the shows nowadays, what we saw in TTGL is pretty common now.
Jun 24, 2022 3:47 AM

Mar 2021
I didn't even like it that much on 1st watch...
Jun 24, 2022 3:53 AM

May 2021
No show hits the same in a 2nd watch,except certain sub-genre ofcourse.
Jun 24, 2022 3:55 AM

Jun 2012
i dont get the rewatch thing argument
like for example murder mystery, not everything will have the same weight once you know the plot
Jun 24, 2022 4:04 AM

Jul 2021
--spoilers for the whole show--

--also if you liked it you probably won't like my opinions so maybe don't read them--

i honestly don't think it's good even on the first watch. since the first 8 episodes or so felt mostly uneventful for me—i don't think i saw anything of value i hadn't experienced in other anime—i was told to wait for it to get good after the timeskip. but even after that, very little changed as far as the actual format of the story. boy wants something, boy meets obstacle, boy overcomes obstacle through the power of hegemonic masculinity, at a price which is ultimately irrelevant to his desire for power. wait, haven't i seen this model before?

so i'm not sure what differentiates Gurren Lagann from other battle shounens besides being camp, visually 'over the top' like a Trigger anime, and the fact they skip all of the 'training arcs' for MC to be instantly OP whenever the plot suited it.

not to mention that both main character deaths which were apparently meant to make you feel something were lost on me. it's hard to think of a more shallow/cartoonishly 'cathartic' depiction of someone reacting to/recovering from the death of a friend imo (and maybe that's the point, but i don't really see why that makes the show good?). furthermore the death at the end just felt utterly shoehorned in for no particular reason. pretty much just a 'fuck you' to anyone who watched the show because it had a couple mildly interesting characters (primarily the two main girls). but these ultimately ended up just being objects of desire for the main char, and plot devices for the audience to feel sad/horny/etc.

upsides? the OPs and EDs are great and deserved a better show to go with them, lol. reminds me of Vinland Saga.
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Jun 24, 2022 4:10 AM
Jul 2021
The point of Gurren Lagann isn't the story. It's supposed to be generic in that aspect. Gurren Lagann is supposed to be a fun enjoyable ride that gets you excited, not some deep psychological mecha. It's your fault for not understanding the core idea of the show.
Jun 24, 2022 4:18 AM

Jul 2021
DrBalls said:
The point of Gurren Lagann isn't the story. It's supposed to be generic in that aspect. Gurren Lagann is supposed to be a fun enjoyable ride that gets you excited, not some deep psychological mecha. It's your fault for not understanding the core idea of the show.

i get that. it's just... not so different from everything else? and i had the impression it was supposed to be? there are plenty of 'fun enjoyable rides' in anime, shows you're supposed to turn your brain off and enjoy, so how does this one get so much acclaim as above the rest when it has neither new story nor new characters? is it just the artstyle and humour? i'm honestly confused about this one
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Jun 24, 2022 4:24 AM
Jul 2021
3looming said:
DrBalls said:

i get that. it's just... not so different from everything else? and i had the impression it was supposed to be? there are plenty of 'fun enjoyable rides' in anime, shows you're supposed to turn your brain off and enjoy, so how does this one get so much acclaim as above the rest when it has neither new story nor new characters? is it just the artstyle and humour? i'm honestly confused about this one

A show doesn't need a specific reason to be highly acclaimed. Why is demon slayer so popular, or sword art online. Why are shows like fullmetal alchemist brotherhood so highly rated, when in its core it's just another shonen with an above average narrative. People like gurren lagann, because it taught them a lot of things and most anime fans watched it at a young age. I watched it just about a year ago, and I had a blast, it was fun, most of it was quite fast paced making it easier to digest, the humor was hit or miss but it's anime, it's very rare for this kind of humor to appeal to everyone. And the production quality was great. You don't need anything more to make an anime enjoyable.
Jun 24, 2022 4:41 AM

Jul 2021
DrBalls said:
A show doesn't need a specific reason to be highly acclaimed. Why is demon slayer so popular, or sword art online. Why are shows like fullmetal alchemist brotherhood so highly rated, when in its core it's just another shonen with an above average narrative. People like gurren lagann, because it taught them a lot of things and most anime fans watched it at a young age. I watched it just about a year ago, and I had a blast, it was fun, most of it was quite fast paced making it easier to digest, the humor was hit or miss but it's anime, it's very rare for this kind of humor to appeal to everyone. And the production quality was great. You don't need anything more to make an anime enjoyable.

well yeah, granted i went in with higher expectations because everyone hypes it up as some kind of masterpiece, or even the greatest anime of all time. as a 'good shounen' for people who like shounen and that kind of humour, it's probably just that, but i've seen so much hype around it that naturally i expected some kind of depth beyond it.
Jun 24, 2022 4:50 AM
Dec 2020
the show was way to fast paced and was missing any development
Jun 24, 2022 4:53 AM
Jul 2021
3looming said:
DrBalls said:

well yeah, granted i went in with higher expectations because everyone hypes it up as some kind of masterpiece, or even the greatest anime of all time. as a 'good shounen' for people who like shounen and that kind of humour, it's probably just that, but i've seen so much hype around it that naturally i expected some kind of depth beyond it.

One thing I've learned from watching any type of storytelling media, is that you should never have high expectations for any show or movie you watch. It's much better to go blind into it, just cuz the majority likes it doesn't mean you will.
Jun 24, 2022 5:33 AM
Feb 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
CickNipolla said:
After rewatching Kill la Kill and feeling like it got better on the 2nd viewing, I had the hopes that Gurren Lagann would follow this patch as well, as its more or less seen as a better kill la kill. However, it is a fairly generic show once you already know the story.

The first few episodes are a drag to get through, and Kamina's death really just doesnt hit very hard when you know its coming. Rossiu's characters post time skip is just as insufferable to watch. The action and humor are still on par with being amazing, but I do think this is one of the few shows that gets worse the more you watch it

of course the death doesn't hit as much on a rewatch u clearly know it's coming

idk what the hell they were expecting, it’s obviously not gonna be nearly as sad as watching it not knowing it’s coming
Jun 24, 2022 7:28 AM
Oct 2020
I love this show so so much but yes. it's so super fast paced and dumping ideas and themes on you with amazing animation. in my experience somehow it's just easier to keep up and feels more natural the first time around
Jun 24, 2022 7:44 AM
Aug 2017
Idk what you're talking about, i just went through some parts and it still hits hard.
Can only agree with Rossiu's part, but it's supposed to be that way.
Jun 24, 2022 9:23 AM
Jan 2020
It’s 2022 and people still don’t understand TTGL.
Jun 24, 2022 10:29 AM
Jan 2021
Does any other Shounen type anime truly have a MC that dies in the first 1/4th of the show just wondering as a question only other thing I can think of is Yu Yu and that’s very different
Jun 24, 2022 10:29 AM
Jan 2021
JVFE said:
It’s 2022 and people still don’t understand TTGL.

Hahaha genius comment
Jun 24, 2022 12:45 PM

May 2020
KP_SENSEI said:

not true at all, show with actual character development and foreshadowing are good, like

- Your Lie in April
- NGE
- Code Geass
- Kil la kill
- AoT

gurren lagann just has a surface level plot and surface level characters so most of the enjoyment comes from silly things like goofy jokes and colorful animation. a show not holding up with time usually reflects the flaws in its core fundamentals
Jun 24, 2022 12:45 PM

May 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
CickNipolla said:

of course the death doesn't hit as much on a rewatch u clearly know it's coming

this literally doesnt make sense at all but okay
Jun 24, 2022 1:01 PM

May 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
CickNipolla said:

you have NGNL in your favs so im not sure ur the best judge of intelligence but, many shows character deaths are just as good the 2nd viewing, like game of thrones, or code geass, or naruto

Lol 😂 really pulling out favorites
In that case I'm not surprised an Akame ga kill fan won't get(ur brain can't comprehend more than two assasin groups trying to kill each other for a plot ) it's beyond ur compréhension stick to simple typical shows like Toradora and lmao MHA can't believe u actually made fun of my favorites when u have those shows
Anyway no, they do not hit the same as the first time how is this even debatable, nothing beats that first shock value, come on this is common knowledge

did you just try to use an anime with higher scores than ngnl to try and say they are worse anime lol.

mha and toradora both higher scores than ngnl sadly
Jun 24, 2022 1:20 PM

May 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
CickNipolla said:

did you just try to use an anime with higher scores than ngnl to try and say they are worse anime lol.

mha and toradora both higher scores than ngnl sadly

Ur clearly not serious 😂 pls we all know scores on this site are just a formality
A higher score doesn't mean better quality
U can like ur Toradoras and MHA i don't care
It's ok to like anime with simple plots👍
Let me like Ngnl for it's ingenuity
Watch more anime before u bring up a meaningless argument
Anyway
We're digressing here like i said ur just biased towards Naruto and co that's why u feel the deaths hit more

i mean the naruto deaths hit harder than the one in assassination classroom
Jun 24, 2022 1:34 PM

Sep 2020
CickNipolla said:

Eh I always thought there was a drop in quality in the second half of Gurren lagaan. I didn't have to rewatch it to figure that one out. Also Kamina getting yeeted definitely didn't help in keeping me entertained.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Jun 24, 2022 1:41 PM
May 2021
I mean generally rewatching something doesn't hit the same as watching something for the first time, especially for something as simple and as straightforward as Gurren laggan
Jun 24, 2022 4:19 PM
Oct 2020
CickNipolla said:
KP_SENSEI said:

not true at all, show with actual character development and foreshadowing are good, like

- Your Lie in April
- NGE
- Code Geass
- Kil la kill
- AoT

gurren lagann just has a surface level plot and surface level characters so most of the enjoyment comes from silly things like goofy jokes and colorful animation. a show not holding up with time usually reflects the flaws in its core fundamentals

You are on point, All of those hold up well on rewatch.
Jun 24, 2022 11:48 PM
Jun 2020
CickNipolla said:
KP_SENSEI said:

- Your Lie in April
- NGE
- Code Geass
- Kil la kill
- AoT

I cannot agree with Code Gease or NGE. Code Gease is honestly not that great until Season 2. It’s incredibly slow in the beginning and even the first season upon rewatch wasn’t even that good. It was a lot of episodes to sit through and just super boring for pretty much most of the entire season, if not basically the entire season but it’s important to watch regardless for s2. Code Gease honestly didn’t really get interesting until season 2 where shit actually for real and especially the later stages of season 2. The ending of course is still as amazing as I remember it, truly the best ending in anime history still to date. As for NGE, I found Asuka really annoying the 2nd time around and genuinely couldn’t stand her. I also didn’t realize during my first watch but the MC i found to be a
p generic/bland of a character. NGE was super boring on the rewatch too. I think a lot of these older shows upon rewatch have this problem of too many episodes where nothing happens. As a younger viewer it’s probably easy to be patient and absorb all of that without being affected too much but that gets difficult as u get older.
Jun 24, 2022 11:51 PM

May 2020
Cross_2D said:
CickNipolla said:

- Your Lie in April
- NGE
- Code Geass
- Kil la kill
- AoT

I cannot agree with Code Gease or NGE. Code Gease is honestly not that great until Season 2. It’s incredibly slow in the beginning and even the first season upon rewatch wasn’t even that good. It was a lot of episodes to sit through and just super boring for pretty much most of the entire season, if not basically the entire season but it’s important to watch regardless for s2. Code Gease honestly didn’t really get interesting until season 2 where shit actually for real and especially the later stages of season 2. The ending of course is still as amazing as I remember it, truly the best ending in anime history still to date. As for NGE, I found Asuka really annoying the 2nd time around and genuinely couldn’t stand her. I also didn’t realize during my first watch but the MC i found to be a
p generic/bland of a character. NGE was super boring on the rewatch too. I think a lot of these older shows upon rewatch have this problem of too many episodes where nothing happens. As a younger viewer it’s probably easy to be patient and absorb all of that without being affected too much but that gets difficult as u get older.

you seem to be more into action than plot/character development, which is odd because a lot of the shows in your favorites are a lot slower than code geass R1. I personally found asuka awful the first time around, but once you realize whats actually going on with these kids, you can come to sympathize and relate to them the second viewing
Jun 25, 2022 12:39 AM

Jun 2012
CickNipolla said:

im pretty sure most rewatchable shows are gonna be shounen and action doesnt mean they are the best
Jun 25, 2022 8:12 AM
Jun 2020
CickNipolla said:
Cross_2D said:

you seem to be more into action than plot/character development, which is odd because a lot of the shows in your favorites are a lot slower than code geass R1. I personally found asuka awful the first time around, but once you realize whats actually going on with these kids, you can come to sympathize and relate to them the second viewing

Well I think the first statement is just wrong. If u see my list, 95% of the animes I watch (and enjoyed) are romance and slice of life stuff which pretty much only centers around characters and character development because it’s the only thing they’ve got going for them. I don’t consider myself an action over plot/CD person, I just found Code Gease S1 just a tad bit bland/slow, and some parts were just wasted episodes. Perhaps u can blame this on my proper lack of connection to the characters in code gease whereas this is not the case for other animes.
Jun 27, 2022 7:56 PM

Jan 2020
DrBalls said:

spittin facts Mr DrBalls
Jul 2, 2022 9:38 PM
Feb 2021
CickNipolla said:

🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓
Jul 3, 2022 2:27 PM
May 2013
finished my 3rd rewatch and this show definitely still fucks just as well as the first time. it didn't AGE as well in the grand scheme of things, of course. it's a product of its time.

get into the mindset you had when you first watched it, and don't compare it to modern landmarks with totally different moods and overarching messages (a comparison to AoT is completely nonsensical).
Jul 3, 2022 2:28 PM

May 2020
felipecardel said:
finished my 3rd rewatch and this show definitely still fucks just as well as the first time. it didn't AGE as well in the grand scheme of things, of course. it's a product of its time.

get into the mindset you had when you first watched it, and don't compare it to modern landmarks with totally different moods and overarching messages (a comparison to AoT is completely nonsensical).

aot isnt very good so i wouldnt compare it to that ever
Jul 20, 2022 12:47 PM
Jun 2014
I rewatched it idk, 15 times and still the best show ever for me. The problem is you.
Jul 20, 2022 12:50 PM

May 2020
DarkCy said:
I rewatched it idk, 15 times and still the best show ever for me. The problem is you.

right, its not that ur just biased. so smart you are bro
Jul 20, 2022 5:48 PM
Jun 2014
CickNipolla said:
DarkCy said:

You said that its not a good show when you rewatch it, I said that I watched 15 times, and I'm not the only one who I knew that rewatched it a lot of times, so if I did and others did so maybe, JUST MAYBE the problem is with you, not with the show.

Tbh the more I watched, the more I liked it because I noticed things that I didnt on the first times. A friend of mine find it "meeh" on the first time that he watched, but on the second time he started to love it.

For some people things are less fun when they know what will happen, others persons (usually who dont care for spoilers) just enjoy watching the same thing again and again.

So assuming (based totally in my personal experience and I can be wrong) that you are a exception, the problem arent the show, but your personal taste.
Jul 22, 2022 8:31 PM

Dec 2007
DarkCy said:
CickNipolla said:

You said that its not a good show when you rewatch it, I said that I watched 15 times, and I'm not the only one who I knew that rewatched it a lot of times, so if I did and others did so maybe, JUST MAYBE the problem is with you, not with the show.

Tbh the more I watched, the more I liked it because I noticed things that I didnt on the first times. A friend of mine find it "meeh" on the first time that he watched, but on the second time he started to love it.

For some people things are less fun when they know what will happen, others persons (usually who dont care for spoilers) just enjoy watching the same thing again and again.

So assuming (based totally in my personal experience and I can be wrong) that you are a exception, the problem arent the show, but your personal taste.

I like to rewatch the movies, i love the show but i think the movies was very well done and they make going through the story again shorter but just good. I noticed you didnt have the first movie on your list, you just watched the second one for nia didnt you? 😏
Jul 23, 2022 10:46 AM
Nov 2018
DrBalls said:
oh, so is generic shonen garbage on pourpose, in your mind thats better? wait, dont answer, i already know
Jul 23, 2022 10:49 AM
Jul 2021
rodmanii said:
DrBalls said:
oh, so is generic shonen garbage on pourpose, in your mind thats better? wait, dont answer, i already know

No its purpose is the deconstruction of the battle shonen genre. But you can interpret it however you want, I honestly don't care.
Jul 23, 2022 11:38 AM
Nov 2018
DrBalls said:
rodmanii said:

No its purpose is the deconstruction of the battle shonen genre. But you can interpret it however you want, I honestly don't care.

yeah, its the deconstruction that uses every cliche of the genre raised to the nth power, if you want to like garbage go ahead, but please, dont pretend that the garbage is something deep and creative when is not
Jul 23, 2022 11:50 AM
Jul 2021
rodmanii said:
DrBalls said:

yeah, its the deconstruction that uses every cliche of the genre raised to the nth power, if you want to like garbage go ahead, but please, dont pretend that the garbage is something deep and creative when is not

Mmmmmmm, so you don't like it. Good for you. I and many others do. No one said it was deep, it's just a fun ride. If you want to watch some pretentious shitshow that tries too hard to be special, be my guest. However not everything needs to be unique and innovative to be enjoyable. But I won't expect you to understand what "fun" is.
Jul 23, 2022 11:52 AM
Nov 2018
DrBalls said:
rodmanii said:

Mmmmmmm, so you don't like it. Good for you. I and many others do. No one said it was deep, it's just a fun ride. If you want to watch some pretentious shitshow that tries too hard to be special, be my guest. However not everything needs to be unique and innovative to be enjoyable. But I won't expect you to understand what "fun" is.
the notion of "fun" that a gurren lagan fan can give means very little to me, but again, enjoy your garbage, i dont expect you to change your preferences over a 5 minute exchange with me
Aug 28, 2022 6:33 AM

Jan 2009
i still rewatch some scenes from time to time but i can understand your critic since the adrenaline rush at first watch is that so high so rewatching will not give you that high of adrenaline as the first
Jan 14, 2023 1:04 PM
Jun 2014
evilchris said:
DarkCy said:

I like to rewatch the movies, i love the show but i think the movies was very well done and they make going through the story again shorter but just good. I noticed you didnt have the first movie on your list, you just watched the second one for nia didnt you? 😏
Nah, i just forgot to add it, lmao. Thanks for reminder me. 
I love the movies too, the only thing that I dont like to much is how it are less "sad" than the anime.
DarkCyJan 14, 2023 1:08 PM
Jan 14, 2023 3:43 PM

Sep 2020
I actually would argue that the first few episodes are the best in the series. As the series went on and I watched more episodes, I wasn't enjoying it as much.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1154 by skullcandy123166 »»
Jun 17, 4:17 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.