Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2022 2:00 AM
Jun 2019
Do you guys think this is going to adapt the video game or is it going to be an anime original story that follows the story of the game to some extent.
There is a manga with 5 chapters that has its own story, so maybe they would adapt that.
What do you guys think?
Feb 24, 2022 2:46 AM
Dec 2020
WTF?? ITS GETTING ANIME ADAPTADION? :0
Feb 24, 2022 2:47 AM
Dec 2020
MorallyCorrupt said:
Do you guys think this is going to adapt the video game or is it going to be an anime original story that follows the story of the game to some extent.
There is a manga with 5 chapters that has its own story, so maybe they would adapt that.
What do you guys think?
I hope It'll be by the game tho
Feb 24, 2022 3:36 AM

Feb 2021
I kinda want the anime to adapt the game story, but that might be difficult to do. I'm even open to the idea of slice of life Nier Automata, but we'll see.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 24, 2022 4:46 AM

Nov 2008
Adaptation of the game's story is bound to be inferior. I can't see it's finale having the same impact in the anime format.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Feb 24, 2022 5:10 AM
Jul 2019
How would they fit the multiple endings and routes? Would season 2 just be the same thing as season 1 but from the perspective of 9S?
Feb 24, 2022 5:16 AM
Dec 2020
They’re probably going to just to the first ending and maybe the second ending as well. Maybe they’ll leave space for a second season for the other endings too but I doubt that.
Feb 24, 2022 5:20 AM

Aug 2018
MorallyCorrupt said:
The most ideal situation would be an anime original story written by Yoko Taro. It would be difficult to do justice to the game's story as an anime anyway.

EDIT: From the little bits of dialogue shown in the preview, it looks like the anime will adapt the events of the game itself.
S0UVIKFeb 24, 2022 7:13 AM
Feb 24, 2022 7:02 AM
Mar 2011
I think that prequel giving a little bit of light on 9S and 2B previous encounters would be better than adapting story shown in game. I hope that this will be a case as game story is too much connected to its medium.
Feb 24, 2022 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
To be honest, it's hard to say. I played the game a few years back and it features various routes and multiple playthroughs to experience the full game.

Probably a 24 episode adaptation with some original content if I had to guess.
Feb 24, 2022 7:47 AM

Jul 2008
I played Replicant and only started Automata but I will be glad to have a Replicant adaptation too.
Feb 24, 2022 11:03 AM

Mar 2019
cainael said:
I played Replicant and only started Automata but I will be glad to have a Replicant adaptation too.
Yeah I've played both and I honestly believe that Replicant's story will translate better in anime format than Automata's.
Feb 24, 2022 11:06 AM

Jul 2008
SA_fin said:
cainael said:
Yeah I've played both and I honestly believe that Replicant's story will translate better in anime format than Automata's.

Hopefully if Automata is popular we will surely have the Replicant's "prequel" :fingercrossed:
Feb 24, 2022 9:46 PM

Jul 2015
zronoh said:
How would they fit the multiple endings and routes? Would season 2 just be the same thing as season 1 but from the perspective of 9S?

I can see this as as 13ep anime where they could mix A and B together on the first 7 to 8 episodes, and finish C on "that choice", obviously giving meaning and context so we can make the choice as the anime finishes with an open ending....

but... just a crazy theory
Feb 25, 2022 12:12 AM

Feb 2020
This seems interesting.
Feb 25, 2022 1:22 AM

Sep 2018
MorallyCorrupt said:
What do you guys think?

Something new, and very very exciting...
Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Feb 25, 2022 2:34 AM

Apr 2019
I hope this is not just a cash grab
Feb 26, 2022 2:08 PM
Sep 2013
I really doubt Yoko Taro would let them end adaptation on ending A or B. I mean... they are kinda intentionally shitty, especially A. They bait you into thinking you understood the story, while most of the lore/backstory is revealed in C,D and E.

I guess they would either go season 1 - A, Season 2 - B in first few episodes and C,D,E in the rest, or just A/B for ~15 episodes and then route C for the rest of the season.
Feb 26, 2022 5:57 PM

Jan 2009
im fine either way, i just hope its good too since the game got so much praise
Feb 26, 2022 11:51 PM

Oct 2019
I'll wait for at least some of the staff to be revealed before I for my expectations, but honestly, if done well, both would be super awesome. Especially if Yoko Taro is closely involved witb the direction.
Mar 3, 2022 7:49 AM
Dec 2017
Probably an adaptation of the game story but good luck with that given the all letter of the alphabet routes

Mar 26, 2022 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
MorallyCorrupt said:

I would LOVE if it was an adaptation of the YoRHa Pearl Harbor Descent Mission Record manga, but since the promo art is showing 2B with her Pod, unless they're just messing with us (which with a Yoko Taro series is possible!) that's not super likely imo. Since the manga is following A2 and the other stage play characters and (unless she appears in an epilogue) 2B isn't in it at all, as she literally didn't exist at the time of the mission.

To clarify, the manga isn't its own story exactly. It's an adaptation of the YoRHa stage plays (primarily based on 1.2 and 1.3aa, though it makes some of its own changes too), which show the Pearl Harbor Descent Mission (the mission where A2 and Anemone know each other from). You can find a summary of the mission in Nier: Automata by talking to Anemone as A2 and when she lets you use the computer, you can read the 3 Pearl Harbor Descent Mission Archives which basically summarize it from Anemone's pov -- though the cast of characters is different from 1.2, 1.3aa, and the manga, and it only has scenes that Anemone was personally present for.

Though admittedly, adapting the stage play would be much easier. Since it's already condensed into a 2-3 hour play, they would actually be able to expand on it more. I really hope that if they're trying to adapt the whole of Automata, they're going to do more than a 12 episode cour. I mean seriously. With only 12 episodes, I can't imagine them having time to do more than one route well. (Even that would be iffy for Route C.) I'm hoping that Automata is popular enough right now they could've went ahead and ordered at least 24 episodes. Then you could at least have A/B/C something like 6/3/15 or similar to give them more time. (Route B makes sense in the game, but for the anime I would want it to show us new scenes and side quests, and then just move on. We don't need another Endless Eight situation lol.) Unless if it is a side story or other new thing, which would be my personal preference.

Totally unrelated but I hope they can bring back the original VAs. I think I would have a very hard time accepting a new VA for 2B. It has to be Ishikawa Yui!
removed-userMar 26, 2022 7:43 AM
Jul 28, 2022 8:01 AM
May 2009
i was hoping this to follow the same structure as Higurashi series. I just don't know if a 2 cour season will be enough.

now, if you guys have been following the Nier subreddit, there is a church mystery going on that some ppl believe is going to be related to the anime
Jul 30, 2022 6:37 AM
Trash

Jul 2015
Like most anime video game adaptations like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, there is 99% chance it’ll be an original story.
Oct 11, 2022 12:23 PM
Dec 2017
but what about the light novel, will it be adapted into anime?
Oct 14, 2022 9:36 AM

Oct 2022
Yoko Taro, the videogame director, has said that the anime will not copy paste the game story. The original idea was to follow the plot game but after there will be another direction. I don’t think a total revolution but little changes and new arc with the game protagonists.

Oct 16, 2022 11:55 AM

Feb 2021
Why ver.1.1a in the title? What does it mean?
Oct 16, 2022 12:18 PM

Jan 2022
Memore said:

It seems that they're planning to change the plot up a bit from the game. Yoko Taro didn't want it to be a direct adaptation and so the title change reflects that.
-insert NGE meme here-
Oct 16, 2022 12:45 PM

Feb 2021
NorthmostIsle said:
Memore said:

It seems that they're planning to change the plot up a bit from the game. Yoko Taro didn't want it to be a direct adaptation and so the title change reflects that.

Oh, thanks for explaining! I played the game for a bit so I don't know exactly what is the main plot there. Hope that they won't change it too much.
Oct 30, 2022 1:45 PM
Oct 2022
It won't be same as game, Yoko Taro said
Nov 2, 2022 5:09 PM

Sep 2020
Memore said:
NorthmostIsle said:

Oh, thanks for explaining! I played the game for a bit so I don't know exactly what is the main plot there. Hope that they won't change it too much.

yeah they change the plot

Every living being is a slave to something.
Askeladd, Vinland Saga.
Nov 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Feb 2021
Ahmed_Alkautsar said:
Memore said:

Really? Why they decided to do so?
Nov 2, 2022 9:10 PM

Sep 2020
Memore said:
Ahmed_Alkautsar said:

Because they forced by Aniplex, for money.
Actually the anime will be released along with End of YoRha Edition to increase the sales of the Switch Port that released last month. Even Yoko Taro also feel shock too due to this circumtances cause it happens all of sudden, 2 years back.
AlAenslandNov 2, 2022 9:14 PM
Every living being is a slave to something.
Askeladd, Vinland Saga.
Nov 3, 2022 1:48 AM

Feb 2021
Ahmed_Alkautsar said:
Memore said:

Because they forced by Aniplex, for money.
Actually the anime will be released along with End of YoRha Edition to increase the sales of the Switch Port that released last month. Even Yoko Taro also feel shock too due to this circumtances cause it happens all of sudden, 2 years back.

Oh, I see. Money is everywhere.
Nov 14, 2022 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
zronoh said:

Nah, because Route A and B is practically the same, I think if they adapt the game, it's going to be 2B and 9S together, not in separate routes or seasons. When they do separate they'll just have scenes of both characters in an episode. Season 1 is either going to cover ending A and B or C/D and a 2nd season would cover ending C/D or E and what comes after E. That's my theory.
Nov 20, 2022 6:26 PM
Apr 2021
Yoko Taro said that it'll be a bit different from the game, but himself will write it, so we can stay chill
Nov 24, 2022 9:36 PM

Feb 2021
hujiko64 said:
zronoh said:

Nah, because Route A and B is practically the same, I think if they adapt the game, it's going to be 2B and 9S together, not in separate routes or seasons. When they do separate they'll just have scenes of both characters in an episode. Season 1 is either going to cover ending A and B or C/D and a 2nd season would cover ending C/D or E and what comes after E. That's my theory.

I hope so. It would be good to divide seasons that way.
Ceres74 said:
Yoko Taro said that it'll be a bit different from the game, but himself will write it, so we can stay chill

Thanks for letting know! We really shouldn't worry then.

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

23 by Polvo_Aranha »»
Jun 6, 6:19 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2023

149 by Seygneur »»
May 27, 11:32 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.