Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 4, 2021 2:17 AM

Feb 2016
4561236 said:
And yes, now finally people realize he wasn't that much of a dick. He just has a perpetual "I will stab a bitch" attitude, but he was never actually unreasonable or unfair. Again, he is just a square. A japanese square (lol). That also includes how he let's Kukuru do her own thing. He is not gonna hold her hand and tell her how to think and do her projects, he is not that kind of dude, he is more of a "I'm gonna push you into the pool and you better swim bitch". Is that a bad thing??? If you grew up in the west and you only know western culture and standards then maybe It is to you. If not, then you will probably understand he is acting in a very normal way.

At the end of the day, all he ever wanted from Kukuru was that she did her job. Just that.

Nah, most people who doesn't like Suwa still thinks he's a bad manager, maybe with a touch of Asperger's (as a friend of me with Asperger's pointed out to me), and that he need to work with his communication problems in the future, to avoid future conflicts with new underlings after Kukuru. He's not showing any signs of enjoying his work at Tingarla, and if I were a client like the wedding planner, I've thought he acted hostile and a bit creepy. Heck, even Nimoy's Spock acts with more feelings and facial expressions than Suwa.
In Japanese customer culture you smile even if you don't mean it. It's an act. Suwa doesn't fit in very well in this culture, so he really shouldn't meet any customers.

(And yes, I have close relatives who lived and worked in different office jobs in Tokyo for over a decade, so I have some small clues of what I'm talking about)
Dec 4, 2021 3:14 AM

Apr 2012
Teisatsu said:
4561236 said:
And yes, now finally people realize he wasn't that much of a dick. He just has a perpetual "I will stab a bitch" attitude, but he was never actually unreasonable or unfair. Again, he is just a square. A japanese square (lol). That also includes how he let's Kukuru do her own thing. He is not gonna hold her hand and tell her how to think and do her projects, he is not that kind of dude, he is more of a "I'm gonna push you into the pool and you better swim bitch". Is that a bad thing??? If you grew up in the west and you only know western culture and standards then maybe It is to you. If not, then you will probably understand he is acting in a very normal way.

At the end of the day, all he ever wanted from Kukuru was that she did her job. Just that.

Nah, most people who doesn't like Suwa still thinks he's a bad manager, maybe with a touch of Asperger's (as a friend of me with Asperger's pointed out to me), and that he need to work with his communication problems in the future, to avoid future conflicts with new underlings after Kukuru. He's not showing any signs of enjoying his work at Tingarla, and if I were a client like the wedding planner, I've thought he acted hostile and a bit creepy. Heck, even Nimoy's Spock acts with more feelings and facial expressions than Suwa.
In Japanese customer culture you smile even if you don't mean it. It's an act. Suwa doesn't fit in very well in this culture, so he really shouldn't meet any customers.

(And yes, I have close relatives who lived and worked in different office jobs in Tokyo for over a decade, so I have some small clues of what I'm talking about)

In 2021, you can no longer have problems with communication or behavior and not have some kind of neurological or psychological diagnosis? This is starting to resemble the definition of asexual for any character who doesn't think about a relationship.
Dec 4, 2021 1:24 PM
Aug 2017
RobertBobert said:

In 2021, you can no longer have problems with communication or behavior and not have some kind of neurological or psychological diagnosis? This is starting to resemble the definition of asexual for any character who doesn't think about a relationship.

Welcome to snowflake culture ig. Seriously, what the fuck.

Edit: I love how they say what they say and yet all that alleged knowledge didn't stop them from vomiting the bs of how Suwa was being aboosive.
4561236Dec 4, 2021 1:46 PM
Dec 5, 2021 5:47 AM

Mar 2011
As a "Suwa is a bad manager" connoisseur, who has been repeatedly on the Suwa-hate train for a while, I obviously have some thoughts.

Suwa was a significantly better manager in this episode, so many of the things that I had mentioned that he had not done before he did:
  • He gave her positive feedback/praise.
  • He actually read and checked her proposal beforehand. There should have been some feedback but he clearly thought it was good enough.
  • He showed empathy towards Kukuru, and did not call her plankton once.

However, just because he's being a good manager now and was forgiving of Kukuru's absence doesn't mean he was always good. I believe that he has gone through a minor character arc of his own.

My interpretation of his character arc is like so:
  1. He gets given a complete novice into the marketing role that he was looking for, and is irritated. Clearly he's at odds with other members of the senior staff, and he probably thinks he now has to suffer having a novice because of the director's whims.
  2. This causes him to be unsympathetic, and mildly antagonistic towards Kukuru. Although consciously he wouldn't blame her for the situation, he still feels resentment towards the situation which causes him to view her negatively. It's probably why he calls her a plankton. He's frustrated and is passive-aggressively taking it out on her.
  3. This, combined with the fact he's never actually had to teach someone new the ropes, means that he essentially just treats her like a regular employee with experience. He ticks the box of "training her" by giving her a bunch of documents to read, but doesn't do anything beyond that. He has not time to teach this person who has been forced upon him.
  4. He sees her work relatively hard, and partially succeed. He is not ecstatic with her performance, but it's not bad enough to warrant concern.
  5. He starts to see her goofing off, building resentment. He sees her as being increasingly disengaged.
  6. The proposal happens, and it goes poorly. He sees that Kukuru is clearly despondent, and at this point probably reflects that he did not handle the situation regarding the proposal well. Seeing her be despondent also probably made him humanise her for the first time, rather than seeing her as some slacker goofing off.
  7. He reflects and realises that he has treated Kukuru unfairly, and also realises the situation is as unhappy for her as it is inconvenient for him. He knows that Kukuru is down, and so is not surprised when she skips work.
  8. He is likely more forgiving of Kukuru because he feels he's not treated her fairly, but also thinks that it's clearly better if she is allowed to do what she wants.
  9. He tried harder to be a better manager to Kukuru, which is why we see his behaviour change.

I think often we forget that it's not just the main characters that can reflect and grow, and it's also not just children. I do not think Suwa is a bad person, and just because he hasn't been a good manager in the past, doesn't mean he can't become one. He already made some steps.

Obviously, I am reading a lot into his behaviour here which is my interpretation, but I think for certain the way he treated Kukuru before and after the initial proposal was different. He treated her with far more empathy afterwards than he did before and honestly I think that being a good manager requires empathy.

Swagernator said:

As mentioned above, I think that saying that because Suwa was incredibly forgiving now doesn't mean that he was not previously a bad manager. A lot of what made the atmosphere toxic (like Chiyu constantly treating the Gama Gama members with contempt, or Suwa telling Kukuru to push ahead with proposal and ignore the attendants concerns, or him calling her plankton) got resolved as the series went on. Things don't remain static, issues can be resolved. This doesn't mean they never existed.

Also, a lot of other comments defending Suwa tend to make the argument that he's wasn't bad because he could be much worse. That isn't how that works. Just because he doesn't berate her or threaten to fire her over her ineptitude doesn't mean he's good.

I'm sure a lot of people here have had (or still do have) terrible managers, and see people complaining about Suwa and feel it's unjustified because he's not nearly as bad as their own manager. I can understand this, a lot of managers (especially middle/low managers) are not only incompetent, but malicious, wielding their tiniest amount of authority with an iron fist. I've had managers worse than Suwa. I will say this, I was unfair to call Suwa a "terrible" manager, he was mediocre. I just think not identifying him for what he is (or perhaps was if we're being optimistic about his recent behaviour) because managers far worse than him exist in copious quantities is just isn't right. A manger should be there to support the people under them, the fact that so many think that simply not being an actively negative influence on her makes him a good manager is just kind of depressing.

tl;dr I think Suwa has identified he wasn't being as good a manager has he could and has made an effort to improve. I like him more now.

Also, Kukuru with the "do you think the wedding planner cares as much about weddings as I do about fish?" was some of the stupidest lines I've ever heard. That line by itself speaks so much to Kukuru's character (and her intelligence).
InfiniteDec 5, 2021 5:52 AM
Dec 5, 2021 8:55 AM

Dec 2008
*bawl* at least my Kukuru recovered at last, will she rather continue hit or miss marketing or rather feed fish and doing filter cleaning.

Lol at Suwa going easy on her, hell he even figured out that she desires the other job and arranged everything for her. Maybe he felt bad about giving her too much work the weeks before. From anime perspective he indeed was shown as not so good manager, from an realistic standpoint he probably did a decent job, but nothing too great. I hope she will drop marketing though.

Karin also wants to be attendant, no one wants to do paperwork at Tingarla.

Fortunately the second presentation was a success to everyones surprise. The first one was so bad, you would assume that Kukuru did all wrong on purpose. Some hint from Fuuka helped a lot apparently.

I really liked how she turned the wedding planner into a aquarium fan, she even bought a giant jellyfish plushie.

No they even deleted Kai from the cast, by a sudden event, no chance for love man. But it can't be helped when the season is nearly over
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2021 12:04 PM

Feb 2016
RobertBobert said:

I like that twist and blame game. One of my friends with serious Asperger's suspects that Suwa may have a touch of undiagnosed Asperger's, and/or other communication/behaviour issues, which is a real problem for many middle managers out there. I present his theory. You insinuate that I don't think people (like my friend) can have his own condition. Nice one. That was new and entertaining.
Dec 5, 2021 12:11 PM

Feb 2016
Infinite said:
As mentioned above, I think that saying that because Suwa was incredibly forgiving now doesn't mean that he was not previously a bad manager. A lot of what made the atmosphere toxic (like Chiyu constantly treating the Gama Gama members with contempt, or Suwa telling Kukuru to push ahead with proposal and ignore the attendants concerns, or him calling her plankton) got resolved as the series went on. Things don't remain static, issues can be resolved. This doesn't mean they never existed.

Curtain people doesn't seem to understand just that. That things don't remain static. Nor does peoples opinions and feelings. Of course we all are allowed to revalue both Suwa's and Kukuru's behaviour episode by episode, and revalue our thoughts and opinions, as new facts and actions are presented to us. Thank you for your long explanatory post.
Dec 6, 2021 1:31 PM

Oct 2011
and I bet Kukuru will end up staying on the marketing department ^^'
come on, one successful project and the girl forget how much she don't like office job?

and seems like Fuka will move to a new project, engaging in help endangered species (I hope)... that's cool... she really been exclusively in a support role all that second season... time to do something on her own
Dec 6, 2021 3:18 PM
Mar 2012
Erotaku_ said:
Not too crazy about this episode.

Feels like this show is directionless right now. The whole Kukuru burnout saga ended anticlimactically and without a satisfying explanation. She saw some turtles hatch and now she's all motivated? Feels pretty weak to me.

Now with new Kai drama brewing, I really don't know where they are going with this show, especially with only 2 more episodes left. Not to mention the whole "lost dolphin" story needs a resolution as well.

The dolphin = Kukuru. Now that Kukuru's story is mostly resolves, so is the dolphin's. It will swim away in the next 2 episodes. Kai's "drama" is more just an opportunity for Karin to get her dream job and for Kukuru to realize she's in marketing. There won't be much mention of it in the next two episodes. Kai even said his father is fine and that he will return to work eventually.

The show certainly isn't directionless. This whole season has been about Kukuru's growth and her eventually realizing her dream of saving Gama Gama. I think it's pretty obvious there will be a timeskip showing Kukuru as her own director with her own aquarium, which will probably be named Gama Gama. This episode also set up Fuuka's future as well seeing as how she is now interested is conservation of the environment. I think the direction is quite obvious.
Dec 8, 2021 5:54 AM

Apr 2021
I'm glad that Kukuru's doing good now but Kai's news really surprised me :(
Looking forward to the next episode.....
Dec 8, 2021 7:21 PM
Feb 2008
Joel77 said:

Well have no fear, Kai will appear in episode 23. Saw post pictures for the new episode👍
Dec 9, 2021 12:08 AM

Dec 2020
im gonna go insane from the fact that she just left word in the middle of a project, came back, and did things as normally LMFAO i take back everything bad i said abt the boss. but at least that complications over

kaiiii my dude😭😭 god as much as i love kai and kukuru's relationship, they Really cute im kinda hoping that they don't end up tgt. as if right now at least, bc ill actually cry if kukuru pulls of a "ive also loved you all this time :(" out of nowhere
Dec 9, 2021 12:52 AM

Apr 2021
Shakesgrl20 said:
Joel77 said:

Well have no fear, Kai will appear in episode 23. Saw post pictures for the new episode👍
Well now that's a relief :D.....Thanks!!!
Dec 9, 2021 8:15 AM

Oct 2017
I'm happy for Kukuru, her hard work paid off. Thou Kai's in a tight situation suddenly. I hope things go well for him.

Two more episodes to go. My guess is the drama will resolve in next episode or inside the first half of finale and then it'll feature a wedding to finish things off.
Dec 10, 2021 8:13 PM

Jul 2015
Remember guys! no matter how toxic or hard your work environment is..
you never just up and leave.. otherwise ya make it tough for even other employees.. Kukuru got it real nice imo.. she only got off with a single pat and a dissatisfied look..

Dec 15, 2021 8:13 PM

Jul 2020
GOOOOOOOL, team Kai is about to win with a deflected ball in the 90th minute, the 22nd chapter salt could be broken.

Also they better start doing something or explaining the aquatopes? (illusions) and the enano bostero
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Dec 29, 2021 9:37 PM

Sep 2013
One thing that bugged me about them getting so very "preachy" is that they spread misinformation. It's pretty easy to check this sort of thing, eh?
Corals bleach. They do it all the time, have done for 200+ years that we've been observing them closely. Drilling shows it's much older also.
After a year or two? They grow back: they flourish! You know that corals are built on the bodies of dead corals, eh? The show got that so very backwards.
Dec 29, 2021 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
KingShuloxx said:
GOOOOOOOL, team Kai is about to win with a deflected ball in the 90th minute, the 22nd chapter salt could be broken.

Also they better start doing something or explaining the aquatopes? (illusions) and the enano bostero

This is magical realism. It does not have to have an explanation, but rather to bring mysticism into a formally realistic setting.

5Cats said:
One thing that bugged me about them getting so very "preachy" is that they spread misinformation. It's pretty easy to check this sort of thing, eh?
Corals bleach. They do it all the time, have done for 200+ years that we've been observing them closely. Drilling shows it's much older also.
After a year or two? They grow back: they flourish! You know that corals are built on the bodies of dead corals, eh? The show got that so very backwards.

You want too much from a show with a stock message about environmental protection.
Dec 29, 2021 10:02 PM

Sep 2013
RobertBobert said:
You want too much from a show with a stock message about environmental protection.

Same thing happened in Super Cub: one episode had someone in cold water. They literally did every single "wrong thing" in the show. How much better it would have been to show how to do it properly! Wouldn't take any more time or effort on their part.
Hypothermia is deadly.
Dec 29, 2021 10:12 PM

Apr 2012
5Cats said:
RobertBobert said:

Same thing happened in Super Cub: one episode had someone in cold water. They literally did every single "wrong thing" in the show. How much better it would have been to show how to do it properly! Wouldn't take any more time or effort on their part.
Hypothermia is deadly.

Authors are people too, and their awareness also has its limits. So shit does happen sometimes. For example, the Rose of Versailles shows a highly idealized view of Marie Antoinette, completely ignoring the fact that she was the classical nobility of her time. And this is in the context of the author's outstanding knowledge of France at that time.
Jan 22, 2022 10:27 PM

Jun 2020
Really can’t relate to Kukuru at times, girl gets everything she wants lol. Sure must also be nice going AWOL at your job & getting let off the hook that easily. I hope Karin gets the attendant position instead.

Poor Kai!!!!!!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 31, 2022 1:55 PM

Jul 2015
Wow that wedding planner did a full 180, still good for Kukuru especially after getting away easily for leaving without any notice and even getting offered the attendant job.

Jun 19, 2022 9:41 PM

Apr 2016
Lol Kukuru couldn't have it more easy, not surprised it took so long for someone so entitled to finally take her job serious just right before she get the chance to finally do the change of job she wanted so badly.
Sep 21, 2022 11:18 AM

Jul 2016
Kukuru returns to work and magically everything is fixed so that she can keep getting exploited but now with a shiny big incentive to keep her head down for now. Sasuga, P.A. Works.
Dec 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Nov 2022
Guess the story is trying to keep Kukuru in marketing for as long as possible. Even though she had success with the 2nd try with the wedding venue, I still think the marketing director is giving her projects that are way too important for someone who's completely new to marketing...but what do I know, I didn't even know that Karin even wanted to be an attendant.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

138 by basskiller »»
Dec 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2021

78 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

85 by basskiller »»
Dec 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

105 by basskiller »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2021

41 by basskiller »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.