Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 9, 2021 12:07 PM

May 2018
So, it's as bland as the rest of the Muv-Luv anime but the mechs look a bit better...from the outside.
Oct 9, 2021 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
Thai777 said:

It's incompatible because the story rely on you getting into Takeru's shoes. That why we have to go through extra and unlimited. In anime format not only you lose part of that because it's not made to be a first person POV (correct me if you know any anime that does it well), you also have to go through it weekly, for half a year just for Extra + unlimited (assuming 2 cour for it) and then have a season break before alternative.

I also imagine
won't be anywhere close to what it feel like in the VN because of 3rd person view again.

Another good point of the VN was how BETA were never shown until halfway through alternative and that impossible to replicate because it will take forever to pay off with season breaks, anime-only getting bored and the existence of many Muv-Luv spinoff anime that already showed BETA.

Let's also take into account that many anime watcher watch a lot of show every season. Muv-Luv will just be "one" of those anime. Even worse if they start with extra. Some will persist and go through unlimited and finally some will reach alternative but many will drop it along the way. Basically, it's a mega slow burn when the anime landscape currently is filled with instant satisfying anime.

Finally this is a nitpick but I can bet anime-only will be asking question through all of Muv-Luv if it was adapted properly and having to wait until all of Muv-Luv extra and unlimited and alternative before getting some answer will probably reduce even more the number of anime watcher.

Don't get me wrong. I wanted Muv-Luv to success for VN reader who liked it. But we have to draw a line between realistic and idealistic. The anime adaptation is to draw new viewer and any adaptation that get close to the experience of the VN will not do well on that front. Just lower your expectation and don't expect a closely similar experience to the VN. It won't happen, not in this world.

I don't think you know what the word incompatible means, or I assume you aren't using it in the right context. Incompatibility has to have two entities that exist already that can't mutually join together. You have the VN which is the source, but the anime is yet to be known on what it will be adapting, which I reiterate from my previous post. Only when the anime adaptation is finished then you can claim it is incompatible.

Clearly we have differences in realistic and idealistic, the ideal scenario is a faithful adaptation but we know that will never happen, the reality is lots of chopped plot will get cut for this 1 cour season. This will be a disservice to anime only's in spoilers and vn reader's alike in a butchered excuse of 50+ hours of content.

Extra or Unlimited would be a better choice for adaptations, because it's the BEGINNING of Alternative.

I am not alone, VNDB users agree that this is bad: https://vndb.org/t13047

You're right, at this rate, a good adaptation of this anime won't happen, not in this world.

The thing is Anime only already fucked the Muv Luv experience from the year 2012, by watched the Total Eclipse. They thought that was the real ' Muv Luv'.
barthosOct 9, 2021 10:04 PM
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 9, 2021 10:22 PM

Jun 2014
OppaiSugoi said:

I don't think you know what the word incompatible means, or I assume you aren't using it in the right context. Incompatibility has to have two entities that exist already that can't mutually join together. You have the VN which is the source, but the anime is yet to be known on what it will be adapting, which I reiterate from my previous post. Only when the anime adaptation is finished then you can claim it is incompatible.

You're right, this was a bad choice of word. I meant something more along the lines of "impossible to adapt properly" than incompatible.

OppaiSugoi said:

Clearly we have differences in realistic and idealistic, the ideal scenario is a faithful adaptation but we know that will never happen, the reality is lots of chopped plot will get cut for this 1 cour season. This will be a disservice to anime only's in spoilers and vn reader's alike in a butchered excuse of 50+ hours of content.

I would usually completely agree that it is a disservice to anime only viewer but I view muv-luv a little bit differently because the sheer time commitment needed for it. The number of anime viewer only who would ever have tried to read the VN and that will consequently get affected would be on the extreme lower side, therefore I am not that angry about this adaptation. I even believe it might convert people who would have never tried the VN by pushing it aside for later to finally read it. Granted it will be a lower experience, it still beat never trying it.

As for disservice for VN reader, ain't that the usual anyway?

OppaiSugoi said:

Extra or Unlimited would be a better choice for adaptations, because it's the BEGINNING of Alternative.

I agree but this will probably result in alternative never being adapted. While I am fine with that, it was not what happened and we only have to accept it sadly. Hopefully you can see your favorite scene animated (hopefully not badly) with it, so it's not all bad at least.
Oct 10, 2021 3:01 AM

May 2018
IMAO, this was more like a recycled of the 1st MuyLuv .....
And seriously, they're still using ammo fed weapons instead of inventing energy charged weapons like a Photon Blaster or High Intensity Laser Weapons.
Oct 10, 2021 4:18 AM
Mar 2012
Fairly standard mech drama, but potentially baggaged by toxic vn crowd.
TotalEclipse rofl levels of angst dropped instantly. Schwarzesmarken actually decent action & insanity.
Alt so far good music, nice aerial mech, beta cg seem reused & stiff but look ok. For now only got Komaki & a rescued kid, no impression on any characters yet.
Oct 10, 2021 5:29 AM
Mar 2008
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
IMAO, this was more like a recycled of the 1st MuyLuv .....
And seriously, they're still using ammo fed weapons instead of inventing energy charged weapons like a Photon Blaster or High Intensity Laser Weapons.

Alternate timeline 1998 where ww2 didnt happen and the beta landed a few decades later. Similar military tech with research going into mechas instead of planes. This is why I wish they animated the timeline instead of a rehash of the first episode of Total Eclipse.

They should have set up ground rules for the beta and why humanity should fear them. Give us wwz levels of beta, isnt that supposed to be the benefits of using cgi? Its sad when aot probably has more titans than beta in a scenic shot.

Also this first episode was so pointless. Takeru is basically a standin for our typical amnesia protag so it would have been fine to slowly introduce the world through his eyes. Not to mention it ruins the beta reveal after what amounts to a giant training arc.
Oct 10, 2021 6:32 AM
Aug 2013
I read the VN and this episode was better than expected IMO.
Oct 10, 2021 11:09 AM

Mar 2010
Haha what a great time, the genocide was real and hawt damn twas funny asf. What a fun time.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 11, 2021 12:10 PM

Oct 2012
Everything just went in fast forward, it felt like I was skipping 30 minutes ahead per second. All of the tension, build ups and reveals are entirely lost on top of them giving nearly no context and throwing random references of the VN in our face.
This definitely feels like it was made for those that have already read the VN otherwise this is just a clusterfuck.
Aside from the sometimes goofy looking BETAs, it didn't actually bother me and the mechs actually looked pretty sick and fluid.
Oct 12, 2021 1:43 AM
May 2019
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The animation kinda looks rubbish but they captured the atmosphere of the series well.

Story takes a serious mature tone that deals with sci-fi military warfare. It seems their world's technology is advanced enough to fight against humanity's biggest threats. First episode felt a little fast paced but I think it's done to establish the main premise of the show. The mech design look rather generic though if you ask me.

the animation wasn't that bad, I've much worse though I will say it's a bit odd having 2D mechs and CG enemies. Granted Deca Dence did a similar thing with its enemies. And price of smiles made its mechs CG but they had really good movement and really good fight. Basically give me the good mecha fight scenes and I'll forgive any lackluster animation unless It's in said fight scene.
Oct 12, 2021 1:46 AM
May 2019
Koybz said:
the curse of shitty vn adaptations holds strong
the CG looks like ass

the full circle of muv luv inspiring AoT and then this doing a totally original definitely not copying AoT's success opening episode is kinda hilarious though
okay but your forgetting the good ones like Clannad, Steins gate and Angel beats.
Oct 12, 2021 2:57 AM
Jan 2019
Jpl79 said:
though I will say it's a bit odd having 2D mechs and CG enemies.

I think you might be in the wrong thread my guy :p
Oct 12, 2021 3:56 AM
Jan 2018
Jpl79 said:
Koybz said:
the curse of shitty vn adaptations holds strong
the CG looks like ass

the full circle of muv luv inspiring AoT and then this doing a totally original definitely not copying AoT's success opening episode is kinda hilarious though
okay but your forgetting the good ones like Clannad, Steins gate and Angel beats.

Angel Beats wasn't an adaptation. The VN was created to fix the anime which it never ended up doing.
Oct 12, 2021 12:27 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I picked this because I wanted to watch a good mecha, I don’t really care about the games that came before this, I’m along the ride for this anime, and if I really enjoy it I might go back and check out the original stuff.

But yeah, I liked this a lot, I loved the darker tone and the CGI looked pretty good, think I’m going to enjoy this.
Oct 12, 2021 11:58 PM
May 2019
Animaniaig said:
Jpl79 said:

Angel Beats wasn't an adaptation. The VN was created to fix the anime which it never ended up doing.
Really that's interesting.
Oct 13, 2021 6:59 AM
May 2018
Anime-only here. From what I understand this will be adapting the VN, of which I know nothing about and don't plan reading soon, so yeah I'll stick around.

Animation while not outstanding isn't that bad, CGI looks clunky at times but the mechs are good, this doesn't seem a gundam style show with a flagship robot with pretty colors.

I did watch and enjoy Total Ecplipse and Schwarzesmarken years ago, this brings back memories of those, actual mecha wars with stakes and people dying, it's nothing special but in my opinion it was handled pretty well. From the start of the episode I knew these people were doomed, but I still rooted and felt for them.

Oct 14, 2021 8:59 AM

Dec 2014
Are those pilots idiots or what? The machine can fly so high and the fort-class monsters penis attack has limitation.

Why are those idiot pilot still go melee right in front of the monster penis?

Can't they just fucking fly above the penis monster and attack from it's back where the penis attack is out of range?

No wonder there is not much survivor as well as the stupid 8mins death rumor.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Oct 14, 2021 4:14 PM
Feb 2015
aLotQuestion_ said:
Are those pilots idiots or what? The machine can fly so high and the fort-class monsters penis attack has limitation.

Can't they just fucking fly above the penis monster and attack from it's back where the penis attack is out of range?

Because there's the laser-class that can shoot them. A small laser-class can shoot up to 30km away and 10km high, do you think the pilot will have time to focus on the enemy in front and back at the same time?
Oct 15, 2021 3:25 AM
Oct 2010
aLotQuestion_ said:

The in-universe explanation from the visual novel—which also explains why humanity fights the BETA in mechs rather than in fortified tanks or gunships, is specifically because of the laser-class BETA.

The laser is so destructive and accurate that it penetrates metal, and a plane flying on a predictable trajectory—no matter how quickly—will be shot out of the sky. As a result, the best weapon people found against them is ground-based mechs that are mobile and can change directions more quickly than aircraft.

Why would they not fight in mechs from much higher up, then? Because there are no buildings or other constructs to hide behind to escape notice, and no concern about the BETA having to fire through their own ranks. Every laser-class BETA in a huge area would be free to fire at them. Plus, when an object is far away, you only need very slight changes in angle to adjust for its movement. No matter how quickly they move in the air, being far away means that adjusting the firing angle by just a couple of degrees takes very little movement from the BETA. Up close on the ground, the change in firing angle changes dramatically. A mech pilot could even circle behind a laser-class BETA, requiring it to turn 180 degrees.
Oct 15, 2021 3:32 AM

Dec 2014
Vizer1 said:
aLotQuestion_ said:

The in-universe explanation from the visual novel—which also explains why humanity fights the BETA in mechs rather than in fortified tanks or gunships, is specifically because of the laser-class BETA.

The laser is so destructive and accurate that it penetrates metal, and a plane flying on a predictable trajectory—no matter how quickly—will be shot out of the sky. As a result, the best weapon people found against them is ground-based mechs that are mobile and can change directions more quickly than aircraft.

Why would they not fight in mechs from much higher up, then? Because there are no buildings or other constructs to hide behind to escape notice, and no concern about the BETA having to fire through their own ranks. Every laser-class BETA in a huge area would be free to fire at them. Plus, when an object is far away, you only need very slight changes in angle to adjust for its movement. No matter how quickly they move in the air, being far away means that adjusting the firing angle by just a couple of degrees takes very little movement from the BETA. Up close on the ground, the change in firing angle changes dramatically. A mech pilot could even circle behind a laser-class BETA, requiring it to turn 180 degrees.

If you fucking look at the episode 1, the laser class doesn't come out until much later, they have more than enough time to kill fort class before fort class summon laser class as mentioned in episode 1.

It is just that fucking easy unless the fucking anime is broadcasting different things and stories from the fucking manga.
Oct 15, 2021 4:33 AM
Oct 2010
aLotQuestion_ said:
Vizer1 said:

If you fucking look at the episode 1, the laser class doesn't come out until much later, they have more than enough time to kill fort class before fort class summon laser class as mentioned in episode 1.

It is just that fucking easy unless the fucking anime is broadcasting different things and stories from the fucking manga.

Yeah it's a goofy plot hole, I guess
Oct 15, 2021 6:48 AM

Jul 2019
aLotQuestion_ said:
Vizer1 said:

This episode was just a filler meant to attract new viewers, don't think too much about it, it was probably a mistake of whoever wrote the episode.
Fax001sOct 15, 2021 6:51 AM
Oct 15, 2021 9:19 AM
Feb 2015
aLotQuestion_ said:
Vizer1 said:

Ample time without sufficient manpower is still meaningless though. A brigade size BETA is about 3,000-5,000, and there are 8 or more waves of brigade size BETA. They're splitting their limited number of solders into squads to A & B to fend off the BETA. There's no guarantee from the start that they'd manage to kill all of the fort-class on time.
Oct 15, 2021 10:47 AM

Dec 2014
ixarising said:
Ample time without sufficient manpower is still meaningless though. A brigade size BETA is about 3,000-5,000, and there are 8 or more waves of brigade size BETA. They're splitting their limited number of solders into squads to A & B to fend off the BETA. There's no guarantee from the start that they'd manage to kill all of the fort-class on time.

From episode 1 we know:
1. it is told that Laser class is the main cause of those robot's casualties.
2. it is shown that Laser class was summoned by Fort class, they don't come out randomly.
3. it is shown that a random default ranged weapon from robot is more than enough to one-shot the Fort class.
4. it is shown that Fort class is the main reason why BETA can invade the area because it has some kind of substance to melt the wall.

With above 4 points, it is more than enough info for anyone who even has brain to know that the main priority for those robot is to kill Fort class.
Yet, everyone in the episode 1 is idiot and no one does so. This is also NOT the first time they fight against BETA as told in this very episode.

It is the facts, there is no point arguing me with your stupid reason against the facts.

And once again, I ONLY watched anime, so it might be different from other source like manga, so stop using your manga mindset in anime discussion.
Oct 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Oct 2010
aLotQuestion_ said:
ixarising said:

From episode 1 we know:
2. it is shown that Laser class was summoned by Fort class, they don't come out randomly.
3. it is shown that a random default ranged weapon from robot is more than enough to one-shot the Fort class.
4. it is shown that Fort class is the main reason why BETA can invade the area because it has some kind of substance to melt the wall.

With above 4 points, it is more than enough info for anyone who even has brain to know that the main priority for those robot is to kill Fort class.
Yet, everyone in the episode 1 is idiot and no one does so. This is also NOT the first time they fight against BETA as told in this very episode.

It is the facts, there is no point arguing me with your stupid reason against the facts.

And once again, I ONLY watched anime, so it might be different from other source like manga, so stop using your manga mindset in anime discussion.

You are partly right. There is this much seen trope at play that an average grunt is fairly incompetent.

But like that other person tried to explain.. it also isnt all that easy as it seems. I think for the storytelling it SEEMED like they had allot of time, but the fact is that they are on high stress and a time limit (they have to go for supplies allot of times).
Battling the ZERG BETA is chaotic AF and soldiers (unless they are die hard elites) can get scared seeing fort classes, allies getting sliced up and big BETA numbers in general. As a pre emptive measure pilots are taught to NEVER fly higher than necessary if there is A CHANCE that laser classes might be in the area. Different BETA species are actually carried by the fort class and CAN randomly be dropped off.

IIRC the Tactical Surface Fighters (those robots) werent the easiest things to pilot.. pretty shitty OS especially at the start of unlimited/aternative. Only talented and/or elite pilots can reliably dodge stuff like the whip stinger of the fort class.

Lastly the 36mm chaingun of the assault cannon wil do jack shit to a fort class if you spray and pray from the front. You need to aim for the weak points. The 120mm shells might be more succesful if you fire away randomly, but a TSF doesnt carry allot of those at all.

igundamOct 15, 2021 2:37 PM
Oct 15, 2021 5:19 PM
Feb 2015
aLotQuestion_ said:
ixarising said:

From episode 1 we know:

1. The main cause of the robot casualties is actually the BETA themselves not just the laser-class. The BETA has one huge advantage over the humans and that is their numbers. You can see how many BETA appeared and how many TSF pilots the human have.
3. a random ranged weapon? Didn't you hear what the captain said? The regular 30mm bullets doesn't do much damage to the fort-class, they'd need the 120mm cannon bullets. How is that random? If you look back properly at their guns, there's two barrels. The bottom barrel is their usual bullet against other BETA. The top barrel is the one they used again fort-class.
4. The destroyer-class if given enough time can break through the wall as well. It's front shell is almost as hard as the fort-class body if not harder. It's also why they're the first ones deployed to attack the walls.
ixarisingOct 15, 2021 5:37 PM
Oct 16, 2021 3:23 AM

Apr 2018
BerriesSan said:
Shit adaptation, but still got chills near the end. Time to continue reading the VN.

Also, wtf beta have red blood? Weren't they aliens? Well, nothing new. Muvluv science has always sucked.
As for the VN- At sadogashima rn and its finally gotten good.

also before I go, I can say-
Muvluv Copied Aot. :>

Uh nope. Attack on Titans manga was hugely inspired by Alternative, just as quite some others, since Alternative left such a lasting legacy.

And everything makes sense in the end for Alternative. That's why it's rated the highest VN ever. Just keep reading before drawing conclusions lol.
Oct 16, 2021 3:25 AM

Oct 2010
cool prequel but why am I seeing that? what's the reason? MLA was never really about destroying the beta but more about takeru's journey. I would have accepted this filler if the show would have been 100 episodes long but we only get 12
Oct 16, 2021 4:08 AM

Apr 2018
Catalano said:
MLA was never really about destroying the beta but more about takeru's journey. I would have accepted this filler if the show would have been 100 episodes long but we only get 12

100%, though the "journey" thing is something that can never be fully replicated in a third-person perspective format I would say. So I'm just looking forward to some scenes being animated and told from another angle, kinda as a supplementary to the original, that's it.

I don't think the whole story will end in one cour. That would be absurd. At least 24 episodes I would expect, hopefully even more.
Nov 3, 2021 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
Well this will be a happy and joyous anime....all sunshine and rainbows.

Naw....misery and death it is.
Nov 14, 2021 5:22 PM

Jun 2021
The 3D mecha animation looked good, but the 2D animation parts felt a little lazy, but not terrible.
I'm gonna sit down here and watch them do it
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.