Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2021 6:23 AM

Jan 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fairly good episode so far, though I'm not expecting too much from this.
Hopefully it stays this way
Jul 4, 2021 8:22 AM

Apr 2019
Didn't like it that much, it kinda gives a low-budget vibe (and not because of the CGI), we will see
Jul 4, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2016
I liked it pretty well. Hoping they can get through this adaptation without too many major fuck-ups.
ED was pretty hype.
Jul 4, 2021 1:03 PM

May 2018
I have never watched any Getter Robo show till now. Have tried some but those didn't seem to be my cup of tea.
This title here is insane and also great fun, will stick to it for some time.
Jul 4, 2021 3:31 PM

Sep 2008
that was laughably bad. I've never seen art this jarring.
did they just trace the storyboard instead of drawing proper frames?
it's almost all still pictures yet none of them are on model, it's like a one man project but the guy was drunk.
the cgi is early 2000 tier, there's a strong contrast between those completely flat characters and the detailed textures.
studio bee? you mean queen bee? I'd certainly believe it with this quality.
nu-berserk and gibiate got competition at last.
seriously, I got into getter because armageddon had excellent visuals. this was a huge punch in the face.
the detailed manga art in the ed just makes it twist the knife.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jul 4, 2021 3:48 PM

Sep 2011
That was pretty great ngl. If they keep this up this will be an AOTY contender for sure.
Jul 4, 2021 5:40 PM
Jan 2009
nyugvo6 said:
seriously, I got into getter because armageddon had excellent visuals. this was a huge punch in the face.
the detailed manga art in the ed just makes it twist the knife.
Unfortunately, this is a TV production and can't possibly compare to an OVA with a bigger budget and more time to work on each episode. It was never going to come even close.
Personally I'm just looking at it through rose-tinted glasses and so I'm just glad we got anything like this at all in 2021, so I'm much more easily forgiving of the flaws.
Jul 4, 2021 9:42 PM
Jul 2021
Comparing this to Gibiate is silly; Gibiate was garbage because it was directed horribly & "epic" scenes felt like a joke. Jojo TV started off pretty weak in terms of drawing & animation skill and it was still carried by strong direction and a loving respect for the manga.

It's a niche show specifically for Getter manga fans, not "modernized for a new generation" - of course the budget is low & it's animated fast. What I was worried about was the feeling, the artistic direction being confused; in that regard, while there's some questionable modern anime elements to the coloring, shading & inking, it looks like they tried their best to make the staff draw as Ishikawa-like as they could today. Hell, this is probably the most manga-accurate a Getter anime's character designs ever got. Direction is pretty strong, and while the production values aren't very high you can tell it's still Kawagoe at the helm & the delivery is still pretty exciting. When the Getter falls from the sky and Takuma "stares off" with it, that's the kinda vibe you want in this sort of anime.

I'm fine with being a limited animated version of a manga by one of the all time greats, not just of manga but the medium of comics books in general. And even if the inevitable fanfiction ending sucks... whatever, at least it'll be fun until then.
Jul 4, 2021 9:45 PM
Oct 2019
Getter Arc design almost same like Devilman
Jul 4, 2021 10:37 PM
Jul 2021
HerdianElang said:
Getter Arc design almost same like Devilman

Dynamic Pro series are full of self-referencing, which would normally equate to self-fellating but their visual language is so strong you can't help but love it.
Jul 5, 2021 1:17 AM

Mar 2012
Now this was kino. hyped as fuck for the rest
Jul 5, 2021 6:25 AM
Jul 2021
Despite the ugly animation, everything else was pretty decent. My biggest fear with this is what the staff will do with the ending.
Jul 5, 2021 3:49 PM

Mar 2016
Not a bad animation, actually this reminded me of those 90's series but just slightly better looking, even with the CG. I have zero knowledge of anything related to getter robo, don't think I'll be able to fully enjoy this but I really liked what I saw so I'll stick around a few more eps
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 5, 2021 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
OP is from JAM Project!? imma gonna watch this! LOLZ! haha
5/5.

Jul 5, 2021 11:23 PM

Jul 2009
I loved the first episode, the anime itself is clearly a passion project for the entire staff, and while the animation is pretty limited, they made full use of what they could and with the music and the VA's going full out ham, it works really well. Will I recommend Arc to anyone wanting to look into Getter, obviously not, the anime is made purely for Getter fans by Getter fans. It'll fell like a giant mess unless you read the manga, or at lest know what happens in the manga.
Jul 6, 2021 12:22 AM
Dec 2014
matias067 said:
5/5.

If are interested in Jam Project, try Mazinkaiser, Mazinger Z, GaoGaiGar/GaoGaiGar Final (Has Hironobo Kageyama who is their lead singer), Kotetsushin Jeeg, Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars/Inspector, Gravion and Super Robot Wars which the sing the openings and insert songs. Jam Project is quite well known among the mecha fandom to the point it was founded by Ichiro Mizuki who was singing mecha songs dating back to the 1970's.
GenesicKaiserJul 6, 2021 12:28 AM
Jul 6, 2021 11:17 AM

Sep 2012
Not a super exciting first episode, but from what I remember of the manga it seems like they're sticking pretty close to the original, and I appreciate that more than anything. Honestly love the look of the Getters; they know exactly when they need to take the time to hand draw an impactful shot.

Also wasn't the scene with the domes from the Go manga? I guess they were inserting some backstory since watching the Go anime wouldn't help anybody understand what's going on here :v
Jul 6, 2021 4:06 PM
Jul 2015
sure it looks like crap, sure the plot is non nonsensical to anyone that hasn't read the manga and that's 90% of the people on this site, but its been 17 years since the last getter robot, 21 to the one prior to that, so you bet you ass, i'm gonna give this anime a 10/10 and a 5/5 on every poll, of my User name isn't Ryoma Motherfucking Getter 1
Jul 7, 2021 11:11 AM
Jul 2021
I took a look at the users who are giving low ratings, and noticed that a significant portion of them don't have any other Getter Robo anime/manga on their lists. They don't know the franchise or what? I mean, the first line of the synopsis is "Getter Robo Arc is the fifth Getter Robo series chronologically."
Jul 7, 2021 11:47 AM

Feb 2008
This wouldn't be a proper Super Robot series without a JAM Project OP.
Jul 10, 2021 2:38 AM

Oct 2008
ValkyrieInSteel said:
matias067 said:
5/5.

If are interested in Jam Project, try Mazinkaiser, Mazinger Z, GaoGaiGar/GaoGaiGar Final (Has Hironobo Kageyama who is their lead singer), Kotetsushin Jeeg, Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars/Inspector, Gravion and Super Robot Wars which the sing the openings and insert songs. Jam Project is quite well known among the mecha fandom to the point it was founded by Ichiro Mizuki who was singing mecha songs dating back to the 1970's.

oh that's nice! gonna check them out later! thx btw...

Jul 18, 2021 2:50 PM

Aug 2018
I AM SO FUCKING HYPED!!!!!!!!'
6 OUT OF 10
Aug 5, 2021 6:47 PM

Dec 2015
It was fun having to recreate mentally what was the possible situation prior to the series' beginning. It was far less fun to have to admire those terrible CGI even though I was warned by the trailer.
I was expecting a slight "modernization" of the designs like what was done with those numerous "revivals" of old manga in the late 90s, early 2000s (for example the various OAVs based on Getter titles) but I guess it would have made the slideshow even harder to draw for such a low budget project.

Still, the energy is here.

3/5
Aug 12, 2021 4:20 AM
Jul 2021
Rei_III said:
It was fun having to recreate mentally what was the possible situation prior to the series' beginning. It was far less fun to have to admire those terrible CGI even though I was warned by the trailer.
I was expecting a slight "modernization" of the designs like what was done with those numerous "revivals" of old manga in the late 90s, early 2000s (for example the various OAVs based on Getter titles) but I guess it would have made the slideshow even harder to draw for such a low budget project.

Still, the energy is here.

3/5

Mid 2000s Ken Ishikawa designs are hardly simple. You can tell animators not used to that type of art are struggling with them. I would not say the typical typical pointy grey alien-faced anime character is harder to draw.

Ishikawa's early work was RELATIVELY more inspired by Nagai but I think that inspiration is exaggerated & he still had his own style in stuff like Majuu Sensen and early 70s Getter (people say "he drew exactly like Nagai in the 70s" yet when I started reading Getter in 2007 before I knew who Ishikawa was I just thought "woah, Nagai could be so experimental with his art!")

His later stuff is his own style and hardly "old manga autopilot"; hell the only thing making it "retro" is the focus on manliness over prettiness and the very Dynamic Pro facial expressions.
tacticalfiendAug 12, 2021 4:25 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 13 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 26, 2021

7 by GenesicKaiser »»
Jun 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 4 Discussion

tacticalfiend - Aug 2, 2021

3 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 3 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Jul 18, 2021

16 by TRI_Mike »»
Jun 9, 2022 4:56 PM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 12 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 19, 2021

3 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 20, 2021 6:28 AM

Poll: » Getter Robo Arc Episode 11 Discussion

GenesicKaiser - Sep 12, 2021

0 by GenesicKaiser »»
Sep 12, 2021 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.