Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2021 5:00 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 7, 2021 5:18 PM

Feb 2019
Lmaoo danji getting his ass beat was hilarious. Such a ridiculous episode, but after the break last week it’s nice to be back.
May 7, 2021 6:02 PM

Nov 2008
let's go ace!!!!!
May 7, 2021 6:45 PM

Jun 2014
Stupid as hell, but easily the most fun episode so far.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
May 7, 2021 9:54 PM
Sep 2015
Yep, it's just like my prediction that Bushiroad will use this episode to promote its own NJPW. Which is not a bad idea at all. And they pick an interesting wrestler too! I don't watch pro-wrestling but I personally admire Tanahashi because he's probably the only one in the whole industry to did naked photoshoot to allow people like me to worship his body. While its nice that he get to voice his own character, using the same voice actor that voice for him in Tiger Mask W is probably a better choice because as you can hear, while Tanahashi is a very good wrestler, he's not so good as a voice acting.

Oh! And I love how they draw nipples. Even Tiger Mask W didn't draw that.
May 7, 2021 10:58 PM
Aug 2015
Episode was pure filler. I didn't hate it but it certainly didn't do anything to change my feelings on the show so far. If anything I'm just getting more and more frustrated with this "aimless" direction. Just what the hell is this show trying to do? What is it trying to accomplish? I don't see any kind of clear vision/direction here. There is no compelling hook and we are already near the halfway mark of this first cour. Do the scriptwriters even know how a story works? Do they even know what Vanguard is? Seriously, just take the Cardfight Vanguard moniker out of the show already because this show feels ashamed of trying to address it. I feel the staff behind this anime hasn't watched a lick of Vanguard anime and instead were just told to appeal to the BL crowd and the non-TCG playing crowd and throw in a bunch of popular tropes/cliches and sprinkle in the product they are trying to advertise here and there. And you have a soulless anime so far. Yeah I don't like using buzzwords like that but I can't help but feel this is the case. OverDress is just a pretty exterior with nothing inside it at the moment. There is no identity, no balance in the storytelling. Just a lot of wasted time.

And no I'm not dropping this show just yet. I'm a big fan of the Vanguard franchise. I've been following it since 2011 and I am an avid player of the card game and spend a lot of money building decks I like. I want this to be better and I'll keep giving it a chance but my patience is starting to wear thin.
May 8, 2021 4:23 AM

Jan 2014
What a strange but fun episode. As a lover of Vanguard, and wrestling in general. It was pretty wild haha.
May 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Jan 2014
Sterben0022 said:
Episode was pure filler. I didn't hate it but it certainly didn't do anything to change my feelings on the show so far. If anything I'm just getting more and more frustrated with this "aimless" direction. Just what the hell is this show trying to do? What is it trying to accomplish? I don't see any kind of clear vision/direction here. There is no compelling hook and we are already near the halfway mark of this first cour. Do the scriptwriters even know how a story works? Do they even know what Vanguard is? Seriously, just take the Cardfight Vanguard moniker out of the show already because this show feels ashamed of trying to address it. I feel the staff behind this anime hasn't watched a lick of Vanguard anime and instead were just told to appeal to the BL crowd and the non-TCG playing crowd and throw in a bunch of popular tropes/cliches and sprinkle in the product they are trying to advertise here and there. And you have a soulless anime so far. Yeah I don't like using buzzwords like that but I can't help but feel this is the case. OverDress is just a pretty exterior with nothing inside it at the moment. There is no identity, no balance in the storytelling. Just a lot of wasted time.

And no I'm not dropping this show just yet. I'm a big fan of the Vanguard franchise. I've been following it since 2011 and I am an avid player of the card game and spend a lot of money building decks I like. I want this to be better and I'll keep giving it a chance but my patience is starting to wear thin.

It really depends how the later half of the show goes, or the next season. As far as I can tell, the aim might be currently to use the first season as more of a slice of life, to get us used to the characters, and their Vanguard styles((Even if it should be more shown in terms of the plays.)) Then maybe go into more of a story focused driven kind. If it doesn't, then it'll just be an anime about characters who just chill and go out, while coming back to a club were they play card games. Which for a concept, isn't bad honestly. Don't really need a 'danger to the world' plot like most Card games have. We had so much of that in G lol.
May 8, 2021 9:10 AM

Nov 2013
another quite ???? episode but a bot better this time, my poor danji's gotten beaten to a pulp but card-wrestling game seemed quite interesting, i wonder if chess-boxing is also a thing in real life as they said, ALSO THEM BEING TOGETHER MADE ME SHOOKETH i did not expect it from zakusa-san
May 10, 2021 9:16 AM

Jan 2021
Sterben0022 said:
And you have a soulless anime so far.

If you want soulless, just take a look at Shadowverse(TV).

This show has plenty of soul and love put into it. The problem is that it can't make up its mind on what it wants to be, fully. It looked like we were going to get an experience more focused on the sort of "gang warfare" cardfight fights in the first three episodes, with Yu-yu becoming the new champion of the team, but then 4 and 5 have shifted focus entirely into a more slice-of-life direction. It's not really a tonal whiplash, since it has been consistently light hearted from the start, but you could compare it to one.
May 10, 2021 3:48 PM
Aug 2015
Ammokkx said:
Sterben0022 said:
And you have a soulless anime so far.

This show has plenty of soul and love put into it. The problem is that it can't make up its mind on what it wants to be, fully. It looked like we were going to get an experience more focused on the sort of "gang warfare" cardfight fights in the first three episodes, with Yu-yu becoming the new champion of the team, but then 4 and 5 have shifted focus entirely into a more slice-of-life direction. It's not really a tonal whiplash, since it has been consistently light hearted from the start, but you could compare it to one.

Shadowverse at least knew it was a cheap YGO ripoff and wore it proudly on its sleeve. It's bad but I can respect that it knows its bad so it has some soul at least. overDress just looks nice and pretty on the outside but has nothing on the inside. It's not a good card game anime nor is it a good Vanguard anime. And at best it's a forgettable SoL anime so far. As a long time fan I get the feeling the writers misunderstand the essence of Vanguard, and generally speaking like they don't even know the proper fundamentals of storytelling. We're already at the halfway point of the season and you can't even grasp what the story is really about. To be fair, some of the past Vanguard series have had that issue too but still. It's mostly been a bunch of scenes that the writing staff thinks sounds cute or cool without concern for scene to scene tone or putting them in a stringed coherent order which isn't surprising given the Series Composer for this anime has done A LOT of bad anime.
May 11, 2021 1:27 AM

Jan 2021
Sterben0022 said:
Ammokkx said:

Shadowverse at least knew it was a cheap YGO ripoff and wore it proudly on its sleeve. It's bad but I can respect that it knows its bad so it has some soul at least. overDress just looks nice and pretty on the outside but has nothing on the inside. It's not a good card game anime nor is it a good Vanguard anime. And at best it's a forgettable SoL anime so far. As a long time fan I get the feeling the writers misunderstand the essence of Vanguard, and generally speaking like they don't even know the proper fundamentals of storytelling. We're already at the halfway point of the season and you can't even grasp what the story is really about. To be fair, some of the past Vanguard series have had that issue too but still. It's mostly been a bunch of scenes that the writing staff thinks sounds cute or cool without concern for scene to scene tone or putting them in a stringed coherent order which isn't surprising given the Series Composer for this anime has done A LOT of bad anime.

I don't disagree the anime is mediocre at best. I just find it a bit strong to call it a "soulless anime" when it's at least trying to be interesting, even if it's not going well.

You can tell the writers are having fun coming up with these scenarios and characters, and there's a fair bit of genuinely good humor in here (see: Danji rolling up in the pink tank out of nowhere). Contrast it to something like Shadowverse, who didn't have a single original idea and every bit of dialogue was phoned in. Shadowverse didn't even try to be good, it's just a pretty blatant and shameless bit of advertising, which is the definition of "soulless"- made without any soul or love.

Point is, I'm saying there's a difference between "tried and failed" and "didn't try at all". This is the former, SV(TV) is the latter.
Jul 23, 2021 9:22 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They really did catch x Vanguard...???? well the idea was funny at least xD
Mar 30, 2022 11:56 AM

Aug 2018
Sterben0022 said:

Sterben0022 said:
Ammokkx said:

This has to be the worst Vanguard season by far. It’s just sooo bad in every way besides decent animation and music

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard: overDress Episode 7 Discussion

SheyCroix - May 21, 2021

8 by Ittan_Momen »»
Jul 15, 2023 6:16 PM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard: overDress Episode 4 Discussion

SheyCroix - Apr 30, 2021

10 by sumanta_singha »»
Mar 17, 2023 8:33 AM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard: overDress Episode 6 Discussion

Marinate1016 - May 14, 2021

9 by GodBeelze »»
Dec 17, 2022 7:23 AM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard: overDress Episode 12 Discussion

SheyCroix - Jun 25, 2021

12 by P2PSelfPuppet »»
Sep 10, 2022 4:47 AM

Poll: » Cardfight!! Vanguard: overDress Episode 8 Discussion

SheyCroix - May 28, 2021

6 by Ashhk »»
Jul 24, 2021 6:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.