Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 29, 2020 12:24 AM

Oct 2014
This show is really hard to sit back and watch because the protagonist narrates like those Zero Punctuation videos. It takes me like 40 minutes to watch an episode from all the constant pausing and jumping back that I have to do. Once I get through it, I do understand pretty much everything that's happening, even though the subs on Netflix aren't that well translated, and I do think the show is really really good so far.

It really needs a good dub for this show to be all it can be, because some of the subs splash even faster than I can react and click pause. It's a bit stressful.

Does anyone else share this experience and have any tips or something? Or am I just too damn slow?
May 29, 2020 5:51 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Relax and chill. Thats only i can do when i lost the dialogue. Then i will slap myself hard and just forget about it. Continue watching, and re-watch again when i need more detail of the dialogue. If not, i can easily move on and watch any normal conversation out there, than these shit show. Thats all.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 29, 2020 6:05 PM

Sep 2018
every time I think of the series I completely forget the narration and how much I had to pause. welp I mean if you're japanese it won't be a huge problem for you, the high speed narration is one of many metaphors in the series for how fast life can move and how overwhelming it can get. so if you're overwhelmed it's doing its job,
May 30, 2020 3:05 PM

May 2019
Problem? No...

I just wish that in place of use a streaming service, i could download the episodes and watch it in 0,5x speed.

Would be a LOT more enjoyable.
May 30, 2020 3:46 PM

Jun 2016
I got used to it after the initial information overload in the first scene and I don't remember having any problems after that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 13, 2020 9:31 AM
Nov 2019
I had to do that too and it took me around 30 min to watch each episode but I loved it. When I watched bakemonogatari I loved the bull shit 0 punctuation monologues araragi had and I quickly fell in love with this anime too when watashi started narrating all that nonsense in the first episode. Am I the only one who likes these ? I haven't seen any other commentor actually praise these . For me tho I liked it so much and tried to find anime with characters like the protagonist in tatami galaxy. For anyone who'd like to know hachiman from oregairu is a similar character.
SqreamJun 13, 2020 9:47 AM
Jun 13, 2020 9:35 AM

Jun 2014
The dialogue is way faster than most shows—I usually wasn't able to multi-task while watching, which is uncommon.
That being said, I didn't have too much trouble but that's probably because I also have kinda decent listening comprehension, so that + subs was usually adequate.

Tip is: read faster xD that's all you can do really, unfortunately
Also, I didn't watch it on Netflix so I watched a fansub I guess. I wonder if there's a notable difference?
Jun 21, 2020 1:43 AM

Oct 2014
iunne said:
The dialogue is way faster than most shows—I usually wasn't able to multi-task while watching, which is uncommon.
That being said, I didn't have too much trouble but that's probably because I also have kinda decent listening comprehension, so that + subs was usually adequate.

Tip is: read faster xD that's all you can do really, unfortunately
Also, I didn't watch it on Netflix so I watched a fansub I guess. I wonder if there's a notable difference?

Netflix's subs are technically fansubs as well. At the end they credit the person who did them and it's not always the same one. The ones I saw in kiss anime were better because they even had translations for when there is a sign or a text graphic.

Someone needs to get more creative with the subs I think. There should be a science to it where it is well known how long to display them per quantity of characters. Perhaps if the dialogue is too fast it is better to do them in fast short lines. A rework of the phrasing to sound more common to how English speakers talk would also help a lot.
Jun 21, 2020 1:46 AM

Oct 2014
Sqream said:
I had to do that too and it took me around 30 min to watch each episode but I loved it. When I watched bakemonogatari I loved the bull shit 0 punctuation monologues araragi had and I quickly fell in love with this anime too when watashi started narrating all that nonsense in the first episode. Am I the only one who likes these ? I haven't seen any other commentor actually praise these . For me tho I liked it so much and tried to find anime with characters like the protagonist in tatami galaxy. For anyone who'd like to know hachiman from oregairu is a similar character.
I do like them and find them very comedic. I would have no problem if it was dubbed or the sub makers figure out a way to make them better for speedreading.
Jun 21, 2020 2:20 AM

Jun 2014
Temoblanks said:
Someone needs to get more creative with the subs I think. There should be a science to it where it is well known how long to display them per quantity of characters. Perhaps if the dialogue is too fast it is better to do them in fast short lines. A rework of the phrasing to sound more common to how English speakers talk would also help a lot.

That would be a cool idea to look into—if there's a more efficient way in displaying subs, especially for fast dialogue.
But probably not likely to happen unfortunately, as it doesn't arise as a problem often enough for subbers to put in time for that kind of consideration/experimenting :/
Jul 2, 2020 11:55 AM

Aug 2017
The dialgoue seemed pretty normal to me and I could read without any problems but yeah read faster problem solved.
Jul 2, 2020 11:57 AM

Oct 2019
It was difficult at first, but I got adapted to it soon. Some dialogue I straight up had to pause and read tho lmao.
Jul 13, 2020 9:07 PM

Mar 2020
Never had problems, exactly, but me and my friends have been using this show as a joke whenever we want to bring up high speed speaking in anime because its a very noticeable issue right from the get go. It can be difficult without the skill to read quickly, especially in brightly colored scenes where the text blends into the background.
Jul 13, 2020 10:45 PM

Nov 2011
Not for me. This is not different with Monogatari series, although they spoke a lot, the topics are relatively light.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 7, 2020 1:07 AM
Jul 2020
I’m a fast reader but sometimes it still was too much for me and the speed at which they talk was the exact reason why I initially dropped the show. I guess it matches the entire vibe of it though and it’s something one can get used to, but it can be a bit annoying when you have to go back or miss out on some of the dialogue.
Jan 6, 2021 6:00 PM

Sep 2017
Not really, however I usually always watch my anime subbed in English but for this one I had to go with my native language subs in order to keep up

Heck, I managed to handle Monogatari but this one goes way too fast indeed
Jan 7, 2021 10:47 AM

Jul 2008
I can barely read it since I'm also trying to look at the animation, so I'm just going to pass on this one.
Jan 7, 2021 10:51 AM

Dec 2018
It’s been a good while since I watched Tatami Galaxy but I do remember having to rewind a bit on occasion as I didn’t get enough time to read the subs.
Jan 7, 2021 2:43 PM

May 2015
Theo1899 said:
I got used to it after the initial information overload in the first scene and I don't remember having any problems after that.

Same. It's easy to follow the quick dialogue after the first bit of information overload.
Jan 9, 2021 8:20 PM
Jan 2021
I honestly didn't have an issue with the speed of the dialogue since I've seen shows with faster dialogue prior to watching the series.
Apr 28, 4:20 AM
Jan 2021
Watching this in 2024. I too struggled with the dialogue pacing. Reading fast and trying to watch the animation was tough. But having said that I did enjoy the first couple of episodes. Like someone mentioned here earlier, it would’ve been handy if there was a o.5 slow mo button when watching this one.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ESSWHY - Apr 22, 2010

333 by LotteGiants »»
May 27, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

134 by Karva1 »»
May 6, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by Karva1 »»
May 6, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

152 by Karva1 »»
May 5, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

controlmajortom - Jul 1, 2010

351 by PsychicSensor »»
Apr 30, 9:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.