Forum Settings
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 9, 2020 2:41 AM

Jun 2012
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
What turns out from the long awaited reunion had become a date for the whole first half, which is not bad I'd say and it was fun seeing Lena so eager to talk to Shin in any situation. This is how it started anyway and this is what's been missing for the past two volumes so I'll be glad if she will remained in this army indefinitely. It's also nice to see new faces in the squad, the HQ have become more livelier now especially that tomboyish chick that keeps bantering with 'lil reaper'. If there's one thing that was a bit concerning it would be the addition of Annette as it was awkward from the beginning. But good to know that her obsession to Shin had been ended in a good note.

Anyway, we all know it's just the calm before the storm, I don't why the author would say this volume is much lighter than usual when there ain't that much difference. The expedition underground is like a horror-esque film festival where the scenes and events are just gradually keeps getting worse. I thought when the legion have shown up that they have those numerous shepherds is what would be the nail in the coffin, but questionably enough they've retreated and only left the scraps and that one agile unit. Well I guess that's part of the reason how the 86-xers had managed to pull that miracle turnover. But still, even though they've won this battle, they're still fighting in a losing war with all that legions evolving more and more.

I guess this volume's point is to add more mystery to the legion and for Shin to at least not completely throw his past connections which is good but there is still a long way to go before he regains everything he have lost. And to let us have a look for how Lena have improved, but not really much have change to her personality and that's way more important.

A good volume overall but I don't really know what to expect next, maybe an upgraded mecha for the squad, or another investigation to some other research like with the developer of the legions, she might have been the first subject that she assimilated to those abhorrent machines, or maybe something else I don't know.
LunaMay 15, 2021 2:28 AM
Apr 15, 2020 7:27 AM

Feb 2016
Finally a volume where the atmosphere isn't that serious, well, only for the first half. The long awaited reunion between Shin and Lena.

Lena has shown considerable growth in two years and got the nickname Bloody Princess. While Shin too is gradually opening up his heart and stops sacrificing himself.

The bleached pigs continuous harassment towards the 86 show no sign of ending. There's something clearly wrong with their heads if they don't understand their position after that large scale attack

Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
I don't know why the author would say this volume is much lighter than usual when there ain't that much difference. The expedition underground is like a horror-esque film festival where the scenes and events are just gradually keeps getting worse.

Yeah seriously I was not expecting every Legion to turn into a shepherd

A few months till the next volume. I look forward to Shin's character development
Apr 15, 2020 9:12 AM
Dec 2016
Just finish this volume and now I ship them so hard. Not many couple that I will say well deserved for each other but for this one I gladly say it. I fear that this might not lead to the happy ending and as the story progress one or more than one of the main character will be gone hoping that I wrong though.
Anyway hope the author will keep maintaining this series quality as right now. It has joining my top10 LN just from the very first volume.
Apr 15, 2020 2:02 PM

Aug 2012
I hope my copy will reach me soon

Asato-san's story really is special... And, I am glad that more and more people are starting to know of her story and like it too...
Apr 15, 2020 2:18 PM

Jun 2012
NishizawaMihashi said:
I hope my copy will reach me soon
Hopefully you didn't mind what you've seen in our comments in these thread as they're basically a bunch of spoiler too XD
Apr 15, 2020 2:56 PM

Aug 2012
I don't mind and I wouldn't be able to understand the details without proper context...

Now that I know this story, I can no longer imagine life without it...

Sorry... I got sentimental...
Apr 17, 2020 7:12 AM

Aug 2012
I found this on Twitter. It was really touching and, I thought I'd share it:

https://twitter.com/yu_nagi718/status/1181071132910206976?s=20

The content in the tweet refers to pages 40~47 of Volume 4 of the English version, or apparently pages 64~74 of the Japanese one
NishizawaMihashiMay 2, 2020 12:32 PM
May 1, 2020 1:06 AM

Aug 2012
My copy finally arrived on Wednesday, April 29th. I just finished it earlier in the morning at around 0630

It was... illuminating. I managed to find the answers I was seeking, even if only partially

If things go well during this pandemic and the translation and publication of the remaining volumes scheduled for the year remain relatively unaffected, we should be able to look forward to volumes 5 and 6 being released by the end of the year at the very least, and if things get much better, perhaps even volume 7. If so, we should be able to catch up to volume 8 by next year...

Only 8 days left before volume 8 releases...
Jul 4, 2020 4:59 PM

Jul 2017
After 2 disappointing volumes, 86's 4th volume picked up a lot again. It is weird how the stuff that happened between vol 1's story and its epilogue were poor, but everything else so far has been good.

It is nice to see the 86 try and adjust to this new environment, along with Lena continuing to try her damn best to protect the 86, and have them feel like they have a home to return to in the Republic, which is obviously nearly impossible right now when you look at everyone else's reactions for both sides. Yes her character is naive, but I do believe it adds a lot to a story like this, having someone who wants a unity and peace between both parties but given the terrible and long lasting historical tensions and hatred, it's too much that even she can't truly feel like she's side by side with how the 86 are despite her best efforts.

Atleast, we also did get to see her interactions with Shin more, as they both get to bond, talk with each other on a more friendlier and understanding basis with trust, and just have them understand each other more given how both have gone through some problems, especially Shin. Lena was the one who gave Shin resolve when he felt like he lost everything in vol 3 so having that bond improve was a nice touch. I continue to like the lack of fanservice or unnecessary tone shifting scenes that isn't present everywhere unlike a lot of light novels like these (except when Frederica is involved a bit).

Overall, this was just a setup volume for what's to come for the 86 themselves, their relationship strains with the Republic, the showcase of the alliance and re-introducing Lena's characterization again after missing most of 2 volumes. It's good this time. Not quite as emotional as volume 1 but a nice return to form after 2 lackluster to just plain awful volumes. Am curious to see how volume 5 is whenever I get the chance to read it.

Atleast I can safely say after these 4 volumes, is that Lena's great. Not necessarily among the greatest anime female characters for me but compared to so many female characters that I've come across recently, she's up there. Naive but has a strong vision, caring heart who isn't a damsel in distress, empathetic and understanding, and looks great too with such an awesome character design that it might be one of my favorites in a long time. She's great.
animejasJul 4, 2020 5:04 PM
Aug 17, 2020 8:11 AM

Aug 2020
Volume 5 is coming out soon so finallyJ finished Volume 4 and I can say damn it was much much better than previous two volumes, which weren't bad but seemed pale in comparison to the first volume. Took me 2 days to complete it and was a totally worth it. Hella excited for volume 5
Oct 3, 2020 5:56 AM

Aug 2016
This went from lighthearted to very heavy really quickly, but it was alright in the end. Good build up for next volumes, i believe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2021 3:30 AM

Aug 2013
Took me a long time to finish this. It was lighthearted in the first half which I enjoyed. I definitely needed a break from all the action from the previous volumes.

It was refeshing seeing Lena and Shin interact with each other.

I know this is just a story but I'm pissed with the Republics, they still consider the 86 as their "property" even thought they were the ones who helped liberate them from the Legions.

The second part had a lot of action. All these Shepherd appearing out of nowhere took a toll on Shin. I'm interesting in learining more about the Legion in the coming volumes.

May 13, 2021 10:08 AM
Jul 2019
AnonymousGuy9 said:
Finally a volume where the atmosphere isn't that serious, well, only for the first half. The long awaited reunion between Shin and Lena.

Lena has shown considerable growth in two years and got the nickname Bloody Princess. While Shin too is gradually opening up his heart and stops sacrificing himself.

The bleached pigs continuous harassment towards the 86 show no sign of ending. There's something clearly wrong with their heads if they don't understand their position after that large scale attack

Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
I don't know why the author would say this volume is much lighter than usual when there ain't that much difference. The expedition underground is like a horror-esque film festival where the scenes and events are just gradually keeps getting worse.

Yeah seriously I was not expecting every Legion to turn into a shepherd

A few months till the next volume. I look forward to Shin's character development

The albas still unable to fix their "apartheid" mindset seems
May 14, 2021 2:04 PM

Jul 2017
Reread this volume and I have to say, I really liked this. I felt like volumes 2 and 3 were poor before, but they are decent now and this volume is even better than before as well, good characterization as a whole and a solid setup volume too for the future. It was nice seeing Lena get more personal with Shin as well as his general interactions with his 'friend from back in the day', Annette, who he failed to remember even considering the betrayal at hand from Annette's part. The epilogue with Lena was pretty great stuff too.
Jul 15, 2021 9:12 AM

Oct 2016
If this is Asato's definition of a light volume then, damn lmao. That was a fantastic volume!

Absolutely loved chapter 1, Lena and Shin are such dorks when it comes to their feelings.

I felt really bad for Annette especially now that she's trying to atone, but also can't really say she doesn't deserve it, cause she does. I think that was amazingly done and I was honestly surprised that Shin managed to remember some his memories of her, but he still has a long way to go.

The Bleachers though, Jesus Christ. Probably the most I have ever been pissed off so badly by anime media, I fucking hate The Bleachers so much like damn.

I really can't wait for this volume to be adapted in the anime, even though it's gonna take a while. Just imagine the underground mission in the anime, it's gonna be so fucking good, I think it was such a good setting for a battlefield, plus all the revelations that came along with it. The Phonix, the sheepdogs and most importantly Zelene Birkenbaum the creator of the legion.

Zelene Birkenbaum most definitely assimilated herself with the legion and that was the reason the legion was able to come up with the idea of assimilating with the human nervous system. I don't think they would have ever thought of that without her human knowledge. This was a fantastic setup volume, RIP to the Phalanx Squadron though. Looking forward to getting to volume 5 I hope the 86 actually get the vacation they deserve.
Aug 12, 2021 9:49 AM

Jan 2017
This is gonna be a "lighter volume" the author said... the battles and the new advancement of Legion drones will be suffice for a horror tag by now

Seeing Lena battle side-by-side with Shin really makes up the lack for this dynamic in the previous two volumes, and Frederica not foolishly being in the battle area adds for brownie points

Oct 19, 2021 1:14 PM

Jul 2017
just finish vol.4, i read the after words seems Asato really get inspiration from Gundam IBO the difference he make 86 better. i really like Gundam IBO but disappoint me at the same time, grateful this far better than that.
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Dec 27, 2021 1:38 PM

Nov 2018
Lol this volume started with reunion of Shin and Lena and pretty much good chemistry between them whole 1st chapter.
But that ending pulled complete 180 degree in their relationship.
Let's see what happens next.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jan 12, 2022 11:53 PM

Nov 2021
Started volume 4 of the light novel today. Apparently the events of Season 2 took 2 years and finally we will have Lena and Shin long-awaited reunion. Looking forward to their relationship progress!
Aug 5, 2023 6:26 PM
Sep 2020
Just started the light novel series (It is my first time reading a light novel). Been awhile since I finished the anime. 

Regardless I really enjoyed it. The author does a good job at describing action scenes, adding onto the lore of the world.

More topics from this board

» (No spoilers please) Estimated End Date?

Skoorb - Apr 19

5 by jas-samaaa »»
May 2, 3:12 PM

Poll: » 86 Volume 12 Discussion

FragmantLemon - Dec 6, 2023

2 by SSRSyt »»
Dec 6, 2023 10:09 PM

» Eighty six vol 12

Rose_572 - Jun 4, 2023

9 by BitChilly »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:38 PM

Poll: » 86 Chapter 25 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Oct 8, 2023

6 by SSRSyt »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:13 AM

» Legion Color

AnD_MaN_03 - Jun 19, 2023

2 by Nejeren »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.