Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2017 9:19 PM

Aug 2016
Messed my car up being dumb. Most body shops want major $$$ to fix, but i'm living on chicken flavored ramen packs as it is.

I found all the parts i needed and i can get them for like 1/4 of the cost the shops wanted. BUT i know nothing about cars, so what would you do? Do you try to fix your own stuff on your car? or do you have a certified technical automotive expert mechanical wizard fix it for you?
Jun 16, 2017 9:44 PM

Jun 2015
I'm useless with fixing anything, let alone a car.

I've done some small things with the help of youtube, though.
The problem is when it's something off with the computer or something.

Jun 16, 2017 9:50 PM

Feb 2016
I can fix my Hot Wheelz car if a tire pops off or something.
Jun 16, 2017 9:53 PM

Jun 2015
Exhalant said:
wtf
How much do you play with them to have a tire pop off?

I am nonstop playing with mine and no damages yet!

Jun 16, 2017 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
I payed 50 bucks for labor (I had the parts) to install new brakes and disk rotor since it was so thin.

Supposedly I can scrap it for cash but I haven't yet

edit
removed-userJun 16, 2017 10:16 PM
Jun 16, 2017 9:59 PM

Jun 2016
I fix it myself. I'll never buy a modern car (usually made after 2004) for the reason that they make it impossible to fix yourself.
Jun 16, 2017 10:11 PM

Feb 2016
rawrX3pounces said:
Exhalant said:
wtf
How much do you play with them to have a tire pop off?

I am nonstop playing with mine and no damages yet!
lol get on my level first? i do real racing. ssmhs
Jun 16, 2017 10:12 PM

Apr 2017
ive restored my old benz (engine swap and auto to manual trans conversion) and am currently building a sports car from the frame up. its about the only skill i got lol so yeah i do my own carwork.

as long as you have the tools its stupid easy and pretty fun/rewarding when you ya know, fix broken things. Zen like patience is often required to not get frustrated at the DAMN BOLT THAT WONT FUCKING BUDGE... sports cars are also the most fun you can have with your pants on. maybe a crotch rocket motorcycle is more fun but id be dead within the week if i got one trying to top it out like

anyways what's the issue my dude? you mentioned body shop which out of the whole car bodywork is probably the hardest to do properly. replacing a fender/bod panel or door as a whole is relatively easy but things like rust or bent chassis repair that requires a welder and fabrication experience. paintwork is also a part of it obv which definitely isnt DIY unless you plastidip/vinyl wrap but that aint paintwork...
protip: go to a local pick n pull and see if they have your car in the same color, take whatever panel you want and its an easy way to gain expeince so that way if you fuck up the part you pay nothing! as well as learning how to take it off in the process lol
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 16, 2017 10:13 PM

Apr 2017
Veneficia said:
I payed 50 bucks for labor (I had the parts) to install new breaks and disk rotor since it was so thin.

im triggered.
BRAKES

DONT BREAK YOUR BRAKES

Jun 16, 2017 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
Ikaros_42oh said:
Veneficia said:
I payed 50 bucks for labor (I had the parts) to install new breaks and disk rotor since it was so thin.

im triggered.
BRAKES

DONT BREAK YOUR BRAKES

at that point it was just pure metal scrapping against each other.
Jun 16, 2017 10:17 PM
Apr 2016
I used to take my car to my older brother. I take it to a shop now. I got tired of things being half ass fixed. I used to drive an 88 Royale that was basically hot wired. You could stick a screwdriver in the ignition and it'd turn over. However that didn't stop it from dying randomly. You could be doing 90 on the interstate and it would die so you'd have to shift down in neutral try to restart and keep that hunk of metal on the road because the power steering would go out. I actually ended up grazing a guard rail once like that. I'd rather pay the money than deal with the bullshit.
Jun 16, 2017 11:17 PM

Jan 2014
Depends what it is and what the situation is. Most people don't have the time to perform whatever repair it is.

Easiest thing is literally just type in "how to fix ______ on ______ car" on YT and 99% chance there's a video of someone performing the exact repair you're looking for with pretty good walk-throughs.
Jun 17, 2017 12:01 AM

Dec 2013
@Ikaros_42oh - much respect for you gearheads. I'm always impressed with those who can do all that shit themselves because the knowledge necessary is vast, especially today with the crazy amt of integrated computerization.

He's right on about bodywork too. Painting alone takes major skill/experience if you want it done right - I found out the hard way. I spot repaired/painted three damaged areas on my car (sanding, priming, painting, clear coating, sanding again...) and the amt of work is f'ing crazy....and it still looks like crap because the margin for error is tiny.
DouluoJun 17, 2017 12:04 AM
Jun 17, 2017 4:06 AM

May 2012
I'll fix your car for free if you sit on my face.
Jun 17, 2017 5:38 AM
Jun 2017
are you all poor here or what go find a job for yourself
Since Koe no Katachi has a very high rating her on MAL, rated by nearly 100k users currently should we try to upvote the movie on the worlds largest database related to films? This movie only has around 4,5k votes at the moment. Let's all vote and make the rating higher?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323662/

if we make it more popular it will raise more money so it will support the anime industry and make anime more popular between all the peoples since IMDb is not an anime site
so more quality anime will be made
Jun 17, 2017 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
I can change a tire and for the rest I call help. I even call help for a car wash. Well, used too ....
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Jun 17, 2017 11:16 AM

Jun 2014
I don't have a car.

Never have, never will.

Jun 17, 2017 12:51 PM

Aug 2009
cav said:
Messed my car up being dumb. Most body shops want major $$$ to fix, but i'm living on chicken flavored ramen packs as it is.

I found all the parts i needed and i can get them for like 1/4 of the cost the shops wanted. BUT i know nothing about cars, so what would you do? Do you try to fix your own stuff on your car? or do you have a certified technical automotive expert mechanical wizard fix it for you?

Depending on the type of car you have you might be able to find a youtube video on how to exactly removed the old/broken part and put the new one. I done this for changing fuel filter, starter, thermostat, removing the bumper off a truck so I can pound it back into shape and a few other miscellaneous jobs. Depending on the popularity of the vehicle there might be more than one video to do the same thing. The videos are usually pretty thorough in what you need to do.For example in the video with the starter the mechanic in the video said to disconnect the battery before working on removing the starter. while another video showed me some additional steps that I needed to do before I removed the fuel filter. The videos could also be a good gauge on if the job is in or outside your skill set.
Jun 18, 2017 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
I know very little about cars. According to some picky idiots (read: freeloaderfag who I'm no longer friends with bc he has the audacity to insult my driving when I'm chauffeuring his fuckboi ass around) I don't even drive that well.
Jun 18, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2012
I've repaired my motorbikes and cars since I was old enough to buy them, its half the fun...
Jun 18, 2017 6:30 PM

May 2017
Ikaros_42oh said:
ive restored my old benz (engine swap and auto to manual trans conversion) and am currently building a sports car from the frame up. its about the only skill i got lol so yeah i do my own carwork.

as long as you have the tools its stupid easy and pretty fun/rewarding when you ya know, fix broken things. Zen like patience is often required to not get frustrated at the DAMN BOLT THAT WONT FUCKING BUDGE... sports cars are also the most fun you can have with your pants on. maybe a crotch rocket motorcycle is more fun but id be dead within the week if i got one trying to top it out like

anyways what's the issue my dude? you mentioned body shop which out of the whole car bodywork is probably the hardest to do properly. replacing a fender/bod panel or door as a whole is relatively easy but things like rust or bent chassis repair that requires a welder and fabrication experience. paintwork is also a part of it obv which definitely isnt DIY unless you plastidip/vinyl wrap but that aint paintwork...
protip: go to a local pick n pull and see if they have your car in the same color, take whatever panel you want and its an easy way to gain expeince so that way if you fuck up the part you pay nothing! as well as learning how to take it off in the process lol

How come I expected you to be here???
Jun 18, 2017 6:39 PM

Dec 2016
Step one buy a repair manual

Step two buy an appropriate torque wrench and learn how to use it correctly.

I do 90% of my own repair work. The only thing I don't really touch is suspension parts like struts because it's a huge pain the the butt when you don't have a lift and you're trying to crawl under a car with a breaker bar. So in those situations I rather find a mechanic I can trust.

But car repair can be a fun hobby, and who knows if you have a knack for it you may have found a career.
Jun 18, 2017 11:53 PM

Apr 2017
perve said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

How come I expected you to be here???

because youre a smarht cookie my perrve

Jun 19, 2017 2:04 AM

Jun 2016
Yeah, getting your car fixed up by a mechanic is pretty expensive, so here we have to hone our own skills if we want to maintain our cars.
Thankfully my dad is a mechanic, so he can also help out if I'm in deep shit.
Dec 3, 2020 10:19 AM

Apr 2020
mechanic
self repairing your car is more dangerous than phone/ computer because cars are deathtraps
my dad once bought and used a faulty shockbreaker (labeled as new) and almost caused him to crash

Dec 4, 2020 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
Depends on problem I usually fix up my self with things like oil change or broken. Everything else I need mechanic for.
Dec 4, 2020 2:19 PM

Aug 2015
My first car was a 1997 Jeep Cherokee I bought from a repo. No insulation, wires hanging out everywhere, loud af engine, no working windows or ac/heater. Before It I had never touched a car before let alone any kind of machinery other than a computer. But labor is expensive so I learned how to replace and fix stuff myself, mostly from YouTube.

Although, 3 broken AC's and an engine that literally eats belts, I spent extra and got a 2015 Nissan Altima when I could.
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Dec 5, 2020 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
I always go to the shop where I bought my car to get oil changes
Dec 5, 2020 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
I've fixed some things on my car w/ the help of my dad and youtube. I don't really like working on cars, so unless it's an easy job I take it to the mechanic. I'm lucky I found a great mechanic with low prices and is an honest guy. I grew up changing the oil on the cars with my dad because we couldn't afford to pay for oil changes. And I've done a few other small jobs like replacing the brakes.

Car maintenance should be a required class in school for everyone. At least the basics like checking fluid levels (oil, coolant, power steering fluid, washer fluid, etc.), changing the oil, changing the air filters, checking tire pressure, changing a tire, and even more stuff than that.
removed-userDec 5, 2020 4:23 PM

More topics from this board

» Are video games a waste of time and money??

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

26 by Auron_ »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Better to spend 30k/$ on a new car or an anime figure?

Dije - May 3, 2023

40 by cyandaqil »»
59 minutes ago

» Cleaning your room hurts the economy

vasipi4946 - May 25

31 by logopolis »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

47 by GinIonSui »»
2 hours ago

» Do your dress nice? ( 1 2 )

PopArt - Jul 6, 2023

56 by MasterTasuke »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.