Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 7, 2016 3:49 PM

Mar 2015
Kanijo said:
How was it poorly done? It did a pretty good job of introducing the main characters (Haru and Gatchmon). We know their general personalities, the dilemmas that they will most likely be facing, and introduced the mechanics to how their fighting works. Pretty decent coverage of the supporting cast, which would most likely lead to seeing them more in the future. I personally like the slight silliness, but it does still handle the serious emotional aspect pretty well.

Of course you know their general personalities. It doesn't mean the introduction was handled well just because of that. The characters are thrown into our faces with no subtlety. It felt like the episode just wanted to get over them as quickly as possible to get to the lackluster battle scene. The main character reacted completely unnaturally to what was happening. His "main/side character" talk was a cringy try to be meta.

"It handles the serious emotional aspect pretty well" ...how? By Haru going "I have to protect everyone!" out of the blue? We know he is a softer person (like Takato in Tamers) and he gets thrown into an unknown dimension and suddenly becomes resolute? I don't think so.

The fighting mechanics seem interesting, but the execution is lacking. I just couldn't take this seriously. It didn't have any sense of peril or excitement.

I understand this is a kids show and you should give it some slack. However, past Digimon seasons were the same, yet they didn't insult the intelligence of their young viewers with random BS... well, most of the time they didn't. There are obviously more episodes to come and there might be a huge improvement though. Digimon Frontier and Savers also had several weak episodes in the beginning and they got better and better as they went on so we will see.

Rei366 said:
@BliuBliu At least they are trying to do new things under this brand, even if it doesn't work for most historical watchers. Adventure Tri and this thing are taking directions not seen before in the franchise.
Giving more personality to the "partners" is a good idea.

And that's definitely a good thing. However with poor script and direction, it's hard to expect it to be any good.
Oct 7, 2016 4:53 PM

May 2016
BliuBliu said:

Of course you know their general personalities. It doesn't mean the introduction was handled well just because of that. The characters are thrown into our faces with no subtlety. It felt like the episode just wanted to get over them as quickly as possible to get to the lackluster battle scene. The main character reacted completely unnaturally to what was happening. His "main/side character" talk was a cringy try to be meta.

"It handles the serious emotional aspect pretty well" ...how? By Haru going "I have to protect everyone!" out of the blue? We know he is a softer person (like Takato in Tamers) and he gets thrown into an unknown dimension and suddenly becomes resolute? I don't think so.

His talk about main characters was sparked by his favorite aspect of his favorite books. He loves reading stories about heroic main characters and idolizes them. Haru has a pretty poor opinion of himself and has come to accept his lack of heroic qualities as a reality, but reading allows him to live vicariously through these heroes, without having to face the difficulties these heroes face. So when he was confronted with a problem that only a hero could solve, he didn't want to be a part of it, and wanted someone else to do it. He is a side character in his own mind. While their dialogue is very on the nose, I still liked the character that is presented and how it is handled in the story.

I wouldn't call his "I have to protect everyone" moment out of the blue. He gave up and wanted to be saved from Messemon. He was put into a situation in which he is literally the only one who can save his new friend, all Haru has to do is build up the courage to stare danger in the face (which is something his favorite heroes would do). Haru has been contemplating all day on whether he could actually be a hero himself, but his poor self image has been preventing him from seeing himself as anything more than just a side character. But when thrusted into a situation of "Be a hero or people die", he emulates what a hero would do, and then builds the courage to stand out of desperation for the life of his new friend, and his own life.
Oct 8, 2016 3:52 AM

Mar 2015
Kanijo said:
His talk about main characters was sparked by his favorite aspect of his favorite books. He loves reading stories about heroic main characters and idolizes them. Haru has a pretty poor opinion of himself and has come to accept his lack of heroic qualities as a reality, but reading allows him to live vicariously through these heroes, without having to face the difficulties these heroes face. So when he was confronted with a problem that only a hero could solve, he didn't want to be a part of it, and wanted someone else to do it. He is a side character in his own mind. While their dialogue is very on the nose, I still liked the character that is presented and how it is handled in the story.

I wouldn't call his "I have to protect everyone" moment out of the blue. He gave up and wanted to be saved from Messemon. He was put into a situation in which he is literally the only one who can save his new friend, all Haru has to do is build up the courage to stare danger in the face (which is something his favorite heroes would do). Haru has been contemplating all day on whether he could actually be a hero himself, but his poor self image has been preventing him from seeing himself as anything more than just a side character. But when thrusted into a situation of "Be a hero or people die", he emulates what a hero would do, and then builds the courage to stand out of desperation for the life of his new friend, and his own life.

I get all that, but the problem is the execution of it. All these things happened very quickly with not enough build up and time for the viewer to properly absorb these characters. Add to that how Haru unnaturally reacted to all these supernatural things, poor enemy Digimon design and a battle with no sense of peril and you get the episode that just isn't captivating. This is like if Takato decided it was ok for Guilmon to fight in the first episode of Digimon Tamers, or Ruki changing her ways and calling Renamon her friend in the span of one episode. This anime needs to slow down a bit.
Oct 8, 2016 4:36 AM

May 2016
BliuBliu said:
I get all that, but the problem is the execution of it. All these things happened very quickly with not enough build up and time for the viewer to properly absorb these characters. Add to that how Haru unnaturally reacted to all these supernatural things, poor enemy Digimon design and a battle with no sense of peril and you get the episode that just isn't captivating. This is like if Takato decided it was ok for Guilmon to fight in the first episode of Digimon Tamers, or Ruki changing her ways and calling Renamon her friend in the span of one episode. This anime needs to slow down a bit.

I think the fact that it is going at a faster pace than its predecessors is a nice change. Entertains me as a long time Digimon fan who already knows what to expect, and entertains mainstream fans because it gets to the point. I feel that you don't really need multiple episodes for proper build up. The entire episode was about Haru's willingness to be a hero. We saw his thoughts of himself, what he is normally like, who he thinks is an actual main character (Yuujin), and showed hesitation when confronted with the question "Are you a main character?". I also really liked that when he got up to try and confront Messemon, at first he tried to tell Messemon to stop, but in a very soft voice and couldn't even bring himself to look directly at the enemy. I would say that is some pretty decent build up to finding the resolve to save his and his friend's lives by answering yes to that question.

How was Haru's reaction to the supernatural unnatural? He seemed pretty genuinely scared and confused when Gatchmon bursted out of his phone. Weirded out by a vending machine displaying his name. Pretty scared to try and stop Messemon jumping around.
Oct 8, 2016 8:03 AM
Oct 2016
Not very good, we can see it's an anime for being a rival of Yokai Watch, but it's not Digimon. The only good thing was thereference to DSCS why the AR world who look like to Eden.
Oct 8, 2016 9:11 AM
Apr 2013
BliuBliu said:
Kanijo said:

you still call them "Digimon"? oh man....
unnatural? it seems pretty natural to me. The way he seemed that the vending machine was a prank described it pretty much, also the way that supernatural thing affected the real world directly especially Haru himself. I don't know what seems wrong to you, as if there's also not wrong with how adv 02, frontier, and savers, and XW did.

I really agree what Kanijo said.
Oct 8, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2014
This would have been amazing if they didn't repeated so much about that "you are the MC" stuff, it got quite repetitive and annoying at the end.

Anyway, it's been a while since i watched a digimon series (i haven't watched xros wars and savers just partially) but, by the few i've seen, it looks promising, much better than the tri movie.
Oct 8, 2016 1:43 PM

Mar 2015
DATS24 said:
you still call them "Digimon"? oh man....
unnatural? it seems pretty natural to me. The way he seemed that the vending machine was a prank described it pretty much, also the way that supernatural thing affected the real world directly especially Haru himself. I don't know what seems wrong to you, as if there's also not wrong with how adv 02, frontier, and savers, and XW did.

I really agree what Kanijo said.

I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that Frontier and Savers in particular had a bad start in my earlier post. My problem with Haru is that he was suprised in the beginning but then immediatly after he's completely unfazed by the weird occurences. He gets used to it a bit too quickly. There wasn't enough time for him to naturally get used to these supernatural things. I feel it's something that could have been handled better by now. Maybe it's time for a new Digimon series to learn from the mistakes of the past ones. This just doesn't seem to be the one from what we've seen so far, I guess.
BliuTigerOct 8, 2016 2:23 PM
Oct 8, 2016 2:06 PM

May 2016
BliuBliu said:
I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that Frontier and Savers in particular had a bad start in my earlier post. My problem with Haru is that he was suprised in the beginning but then immediatly after he's completely unfazed by the weird occurences. He gets used to it a bit too quickly. There wasn't enough time for him to naturally get used to these supernatural things. I feel it's something that could have been handled better by now. Maybe it's time for a new Digimon series to learn from the mistakes of the past ones. This just doesn't seem to be the one from what we've seen so far, I guess.

Haru is a pretty smart kid, and Gatchmon is a very knowledgeable guide. Gatchmon is helping Haru learn and understand what is going on regarding to the Appmon. I'm pretty sure that if Gatchmon wasn't guiding Haru through the weirdness, Haru would be much more scared and confused than he already is. Alot of Haru's confidence comes from having such a reliable partner like Gatchmon.
Oct 8, 2016 2:29 PM

Mar 2015
Kanijo said:
Haru is a pretty smart kid, and Gatchmon is a very knowledgeable guide. Gatchmon is helping Haru learn and understand what is going on regarding to the Appmon. I'm pretty sure that if Gatchmon wasn't guiding Haru through the weirdness, Haru would be much more scared and confused than he already is. Alot of Haru's confidence comes from having such a reliable partner like Gatchmon.

But they've just met, that's the point. You're talking as if they know each for quite some time. Anyways, we obviously disagree about this. I'm not sure you even get my point that the pacing was way too fast so I'll stop replying. Hope you continue to enjoy this show and I hope it will get better so I can enjoy it as well.
Oct 8, 2016 2:48 PM

May 2016
BliuBliu said:
But they've just met, that's the point. You're talking as if they know each for quite some time. Anyways, we obviously disagree about this. I'm not sure you even get my point that the pacing was way too fast so I'll stop replying. Hope you continue to enjoy this show and I hope it will get better so I can enjoy it as well.

But they have been thrusted into situations that are very difficult to ignore. At first, Haru was definitely hesitant to go along with Gatchmon. Primarily because he had a bit of difficulty understanding what was happening, and was just too scared to confront the problem. As the situation grew more dire however, Haru was pretty much forced to put his trust into Gatchmon. And so far with the first two episodes, Gatchmon has pretty much been the one to lead the way in deciding what to do when confronting Appmon, with Haru helping as much as he can.
Oct 8, 2016 7:29 PM
Apr 2013
BliuBliu said:
Kanijo said:

same like in Savers eps 1. Masaru and Agumon just have met recently, and guess what Masaru did. It's nothing different. They've just met, yeah, but who could just stand by seeing someone being hurt numerous times? Ah not to mention eps 1 of XW too, Taiki felt the same.

Look at Adventure eps 2, when Shellmon attacks, what did Taichi do? Yeah, more or less same, only he's more reckless. But the objective is same. Why he can evolve agumon? coz his "friend" is in danger. They've just met recently, but why they can do it? You didn't even complain about that?

It's been very classic in most of digimon series. So you're just being biased
DATS24Oct 8, 2016 7:34 PM
Oct 9, 2016 2:34 AM

Mar 2015
DATS24 said:
same like in Savers eps 1. Masaru and Agumon just have met recently, and guess what Masaru did. It's nothing different. They've just met, yeah, but who could just stand by seeing someone being hurt numerous times? Ah not to mention eps 1 of XW too, Taiki felt the same.

Look at Adventure eps 2, when Shellmon attacks, what did Taichi do? Yeah, more or less same, only he's more reckless. But the objective is same. Why he can evolve agumon? coz his "friend" is in danger. They've just met recently, but why they can do it? You didn't even complain about that?

Just because past Digimon seasons had these flaws, doesn't mean I should overlook when this series does the same. I always judge a series by its own merit unless it's a direct sequel, which Appli Monsters isn't. The first episode sucked. The directing, pacing, dialogue, enemy design and battle sucked and I would say the same if this was the first Digimon series ever produced. So no, I'm not biased. Is there a possibility for this to become great by the end? Yes, there is a slight possibility. Do I expect it to be? Not at all.
BliuTigerOct 9, 2016 2:43 AM
Oct 9, 2016 3:35 AM
Apr 2013
BliuBliu said:
DATS24 said:

Just because past Digimon seasons had these flaws, doesn't mean I should overlook when this series does the same. I always judge a series by its own merit unless it's a direct sequel, which Appli Monsters isn't. The first episode sucked. The directing, pacing, dialogue, enemy design and battle sucked and I would say the same if this was the first Digimon series ever produced. So no, I'm not biased. Is there a possibility for this to become great by the end? Yes, there is a slight possibility. Do I expect it to be? Not at all.

you're just complaining of a classic thing happened in all previous series. Flaw? this has been the way they do marketing of showing "monster of the week" since adventure, pretty classic even in the V-Tamer manga (before adventure anime). If not, how the fuck they would market the series to younger kids?

Pacing sucks? So what are you wishing it to be? Remember that this is a 52 episodes anime. You can't just compare this one with 12 or 24 anime episodes.
Oct 9, 2016 5:58 AM

Dec 2015
@DATS24 When did Bandai officially announced the series length ?
Oct 9, 2016 8:57 AM

Mar 2015
DATS24 said:
you're just complaining of a classic thing happened in all previous series. Flaw? this has been the way they do marketing of showing "monster of the week" since adventure, pretty classic even in the V-Tamer manga (before adventure anime). If not, how the fuck they would market the series to younger kids?

Pacing sucks? So what are you wishing it to be? Remember that this is a 52 episodes anime. You can't just compare this one with 12 or 24 anime episodes.

Maybe instead of half-assingly shoehorning cliches into the first episode for the sole purpose of "marketing", they could try to make an effort and release something that has good directing, script, music and a fight that's at least exciting. I think younger kids would appreciate that a lot. Also, it seems you fail to understand the fact that we're talking about this episode, not the whole series that hasn't even aired yet. And the episode sucked. I'm sorry you're getting triggered because of me pointing out its flaws, but you'll just have to learn to deal with it. That's all I have to say on this matter. Like I told the other guy, I hope you continue enjoying this and I hope that as the series progresses, I'll be able to do so as well. Peace.
Oct 9, 2016 1:34 PM

Aug 2011
wtf is this startk700 watching every single anime? holy hell
Oct 9, 2016 9:44 PM
Apr 2013
BliuBliu said:
DATS24 said:

Maybe instead of half-assingly shoehorning cliches into the first episode for the sole purpose of "marketing", they could try to make an effort and release something that has good directing, script, music and a fight that's at least exciting. I think younger kids would appreciate that a lot. Also, it seems you fail to understand the fact that we're talking about this episode, not the whole series that hasn't even aired yet. And the episode sucked. I'm sorry you're getting triggered because of me pointing out its flaws, but you'll just have to learn to deal with it. That's all I have to say on this matter. Like I told the other guy, I hope you continue enjoying this and I hope that as the series progresses, I'll be able to do so as well. Peace.

exciting fighting? kids don't usually need that. A creative fighting like that has been enough to make kids enjoy. This is not pokemon where it focuses on exciting fights. So yeah... if things like Yokai Watch didn't have intense fight but able to attract kids more than pokemon, then it's been effective.

Yep I'm talking about this episode. Series like Tamers even had obscure plot in the first episode, not to mention Frontier too.
What's wrong with the pacing and script? It's been very good and we know that the virus appmon is creating havoc bcos of something occurred, and it's slowly begin to be clearer as gatchmon tells Haru what happened bit by bit.

I'm not being triggered, it's just that the flaw you mentioned was kinda invalid. That's why I'm arguing.

Also, there's certainly a reason why a Yokai Watch staff is working on the script.
Feb 3, 2017 3:20 PM

Dec 2010
Not bad, not good.

My biggest issue is the design of "Applimons" - they look like trash glued together by an handicaped 4yo baby. Its awful. It all started with DigimonXW and they still stick to this robotic design. Bleh.

Other than that it was average. I don`t use my phone for anything other than making calls so I probably will miss a lot of references. Too bad.

This is definitely more kid friendly season.
Jun 7, 2017 5:02 PM
Jan 2017
Apps? Search engines The way digimon is and the way technology has s evolved nowadays this show was destined to happen
Jun 7, 2017 5:02 PM
Jan 2017
Apps? Search engines The way digimon is and the way technology has s evolved nowadays this show was destined to happen
Jun 7, 2017 5:13 PM
Jan 2017
ZBlastHistory said:
w

partner being replace by buddy
ZBlastHistory said:
what the hell L even doing here revenge kira?

for first ep all they said is main character/are you main character etc

partner being replace by buddy

This n this is my thoughts ex actly
Feb 8, 2018 7:54 AM
Jan 2017
After watching this anime it's Ok, but I swear that apple watch looking device make the main character look like a total douche. But atleast this anime is leagues better than Spirit Tamers.
Oct 13, 2018 6:47 PM
Sep 2018
To be honest, I didn't like this episode.

- Gatchmon and the Digimon in general being based around apps from smartphones reminds me too much of The Emoji Movie, which I detest in its entirety. Appli Monsters is better in the sense that it's not trying to promote software like Twitter or Dropbox or Candy Crush or Dance Central, but that's about it and that's easy to not do.

- The interactions between Gatchmon and Haru, how the Appli Drive is used, and even how those two act as individuals and behave in certain situations, all make me think I'm watching a new iteration of Kamen Rider instead of something Digimon related. (For the record, I had no issue with Frontier and how it approached the idea of Digimon, outside of making the spirits little more than tools and keys for the kids.)

- Haru's character wasn't very interesting, what with the focus on being a "main character", and at times, I was groaning at how he reacted to certain situations; Gatchmon was a bit better, but I kept wishing he would slow down and explain things a bit more, even if only for Haru's sake.

I'll be surprised if the next two episodes get me to like this season, or keep going with it.
May 11, 2020 5:22 PM

May 2008
This was weird... and annoying. Between Haru's blubbering, Gatchmon's voice, and Beerus' fat brother's voice, I felt like I was slowly dying inside.

That said, I'm surprised they made it obvious at the end Yuujin was evil-ish. He was obvious in his Hikari acting, but I was expecting it to end there.

It reminds me of a mix of Hunters Shonen-tachi and Rockman.EXE.
Aug 31, 2020 8:45 PM

Apr 2011
Okay, before I started watching this series, I knew it was a kid show, but didn't expect it to be this tame and lame. For a Digimon show, its different in its tone, more energetic and fast pace on introducing the characters. I mean the best friend might be the antagonist, was hinted in this same episode. Unlike the original Digimon anime, which I like for its darker theme and characterization of each children. Only iff the battle scenes were at least fantastic looking, I probably would of enjoyed this as a kid long ago.

Gotta drop at the first episode, just not for me. :*(
Jan 27, 2022 8:06 AM

Feb 2020
Well, it was an okay start. Kinda different compared to the other series in this franchise.

Let's see what's next.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters Episode 36 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2017

10 by Pinguinaa »»
Sep 24, 2022 11:22 PM

Poll: » Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters Episode 52 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

33 by Serafos »»
Feb 4, 2022 5:31 AM

Poll: » Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters Episode 51 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

9 by Serafos »»
Feb 4, 2022 4:51 AM

Poll: » Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters Episode 50 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2017

13 by Serafos »»
Feb 4, 2022 3:41 AM

Poll: » Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters Episode 49 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2017

11 by Serafos »»
Feb 4, 2022 3:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.