Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 1, 2016 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
SymphonySpring said:
HunterXHunter easily.

I'm not the biggest fan of insanely violent material and actually went in thinking it was going to be a happy show. Oh man..oh man...

However, the ending result of the animation was insanely good so no regrets.

HunterXHunter was outside of your comfort zone?

What was your perception of the show before going in?
Feb 1, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2007
Out of my comfort zone on purpose? Either Ouran High Host-club or Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. Really liked the main female protagonist concept for each and while not comfortable with parts of the content stuck around anyway because I still really liked both of the characters.

I tend to bail when I reach certain levels of uncomfortable if the show doesn't give me enough reason to stick around and put up with whatever's making me uncomfortable.
Feb 1, 2016 1:10 PM
Jan 2016
TitanAnteus said:
SymphonySpring said:
HunterXHunter easily.

I'm not the biggest fan of insanely violent material and actually went in thinking it was going to be a happy show. Oh man..oh man...

However, the ending result of the animation was insanely good so no regrets.

HunterXHunter was outside of your comfort zone?

What was your perception of the show before going in?

It was outside of my comfort zone in the idea that I didn't know how dark it was. If you don't know a single thing about that series and only look at the common cover art for it then its kind of misleading. I like to look at random animations from time to time to see if I will find any hidden gems and that turned out to be the case though I never would normally watch something like it. Just not my thing.
Feb 1, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2015
I watched teen melodrama in the form of Angel Beats earlier today.

It was okay. Lotta fake melodrama that had little effect on me because it was so damn forced. Don't understand people gushing about it so much.
Feb 1, 2016 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
I did that a lot in the past year.
The one that impressed me the most is Shinsekai yori. The story was great.
Feb 1, 2016 1:40 PM

Jan 2013
ThatDarnIrishMan said:

It was okay. Lotta fake melodrama that had little effect on me because it was so damn forced. Don't understand people gushing about it so much.

People like it because it was so unique.

How many anime are set in purgatory? How many of them are funny, in the most self-aware way possible while still keeping you invested in the characters.

While I do admit I agree that the drama was very... overblown at points, I will say I didn't feel that way when I was watching it as a weekly show instead of marathoning it on a rewatch.
Orange said:

Shinsekai Yori was outside of your comfort zone?

Why?
Feb 1, 2016 1:43 PM

Nov 2015
I really hate the sports genre, but I gave Prince of Stride a go and I actually enjoy it.

also edit: Shinsekai Yori was extremely average IMO
Feb 1, 2016 1:44 PM

Jun 2012
Itadakimasuuuu said:
I really hate the sports genre, but I gave Prince of Stride a go and I actually enjoy it.
Maybe it is because you are a woman that you enjoy it, but for a sport show with universal appeal, I would recommend Cross Game.

Or any adaptation of a Mitsuru Adachi manga.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 1, 2016 1:54 PM

Sep 2007
Holybaptiser said:
sport show with universal appeal, I would recommend Cross Game.

Good to know; Cross Game has been in my backlog for ages; moving it up the list.
Feb 1, 2016 1:57 PM

Jun 2014
Nisekoi, because i hate harem. didn't really help.
Feb 1, 2016 2:01 PM

Oct 2012
TitanAnteus said:

Orange said:

Shinsekai Yori was outside of your comfort zone?

Why?

I don't like horror in general, especially the one with a more subtle, psychological element.
Feb 1, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2014
Best fucking thing you can do with anime especially when you're starting out. So much good stuff that you shouldn't be limited by genre or demographic. This season I'm watching shounen, josei and shoujo this season (they're aren't really any good shows that I would say are seinen this season really although these demographics are loose anyway). Anyway yeah most anime is shit but there is some really great stuff out there and you can't be limiting yourself to certain genres. If you don't like something drop it but that shouldn't be dependant on genre.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 1, 2016 2:09 PM

Aug 2014
Although yeah no interest in most sports shows but ping pong was great and I may watch ippo one day...

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 1, 2016 2:45 PM

Sep 2015
merryfistmas said:
I Started watching Rosario to Vampire once, it was kind of funny whether it was ironically or not, but I didn't really see the point in watching more. Probably won't be watching a harem again any time soon.

Don't judge the harem genre by the R+V anime. It's really quite average as far as harems go.

OT : I guess I kind of step out of my comfort zone each time a new season starts because I watch almost everything.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was the most recent one where the premise really didn't seem that interesting to me at all, but it's turned out to be one of my favourites from the current season.
On the flipside, Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm didn't interest me and it hasn't so far. This has been a pretty negative step.

Non Non Biyori was also a huge step out of my comfort zone, and I ended up fuckin' loving that. It's now residing in my favourites list.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
TitanAnteus said:
ThatDarnIrishMan said:

People like it because it was so unique.

How many anime are set in purgatory? How many of them are funny, in the most self-aware way possible while still keeping you invested in the characters.

While I do admit I agree that the drama was very... overblown at points, I will say I didn't feel that way when I was watching it as a weekly show instead of marathoning it on a rewatch.

Out of all the folks I've talked about with it or who recommended it to me, none mentioned they like it for it being "unique". And meh, I don't really think it's all that unique. I've seen Death Parade, K-On and Persona. Mix the three together and you get this. Seen other purgatory stories too but none are coming to mind at the moment.

I also have to disagree with the characters being good or you being invested. This is a show with a cast of... what? 15? And that's just main, recurring characters. Out of that, we learn 4 backstories and that's usually in their final episodes anyway so, the moment you become invested, they leave the show. It's also one of the biggest complaints I see being brought against the show, that you don't know 95% of the characters and people only care about Angel who I found to be quite a bland character compared to other Kuuderes like Hinazuki from Boku Dake or Flemie from Rokka.

But yeah, off topic. My main issue is the melodrama. It's very forced. I don't really want to go into spoilers obviously but the final episode, the HUGE sad moments that all the fans gush about... well, they did nothing for me. I knew the whole show had been building up to it the entire time and when the characters "vanishing" had stopped being dramatic at episode 11 when all the background characters just kinda went and then episode 12 where most of the characters vanished off screen, the ending had literally no impact despite how hard it was trying to be.

That's why I just don't like melodrama. It tries so damn hard to make things as sad as possible and as such, they become unbelievable. Like Angel's "connection" to the MC, that was just dumb. It had no reason to exist and actually made me question the entire timeline of the story when they could have cut it out and made no difference. But because of melodrama, it needed to be there to try and crank their connection up to 11.

K-On has a similar "graduation" episode and it was pretty sad... because it was natural. It was a group of friends sad that they were leaving one of their members behind when they all left and they knew they'd never play together again as the club. That is a perfectly normal thing and I saw people go through it together in school. This graduation episode is as dumb as Akuma no Riddle's graduation episode and was as emotionally as effective to me because it was just so far-fetched and forced.

This is also the reason I never could convince myself to watch "Your Lie In April". I heard a few spoilers about what happens later in the show and it just made me facepalm so I can't bring myself to watch it even though I liked the first episode.
Feb 1, 2016 2:55 PM

Oct 2014
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist and it was great. I will watch Brotherhood sometime in the future.
Feb 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
Kuroko No Basket because I was not attracted by sports anime. I wasn't deceived, Kuroko No Basket rocks !
Last 3 favorite animes: Koe No Katachi / Eureka Seven / Samurai Champloo
Check out my YT channel here
Feb 1, 2016 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
ItsMaz said:
merryfistmas said:
I Started watching Rosario to Vampire once, it was kind of funny whether it was ironically or not, but I didn't really see the point in watching more. Probably won't be watching a harem again any time soon.
Don't judge the harem genre by the R+V anime. It's really quite average as far as harems go.
I've heard this before, and if I ever decided to try harems again I would look for something better, but the idea of a harem just don't appeal to me. I have a friend who's into ecchi so I eas humoring him by watching it.

OT: HunterxHunter is another one. I hated Naruto and One Piece, and had shut myself off to the idea of watching more long running battlw shonen. I wanted to see what the hype was about, and I was a bit apprehensive about it, but I'm loving it now.
merryfistmasFeb 1, 2016 3:09 PM
Feb 1, 2016 3:14 PM

Jan 2013
haveacigar said:

It started off interesting but I completely agree. It's a pretty terrible anime.

merryfistmas said:
ItsMaz said:
I've heard this before, and if I ever decided to try harems again I would look for something better, but the idea of a harem just don't appeal to me. I have a friend who's into ecchi so I eas humoring him by watching it.

OT: HunterxHunter is another one. I hated Naruto and One Piece, and had shut myself off to the idea of watching more long running battlw shonen. I wanted to see what the hype was about, and I was a bit apprehensive about it, but I'm loving it now.

HXH is done by Madhouse. If you like HxH then you like Madhouse. Everything they make has that unique Madhouse feel and those guys are masters of 2D battle animation.

If DBZ was done by them, the world would explode.

Wait... you don't like Naruto? To each his own I guess. I'm not a fan of One Piece either, but other battle shounen you'd enjoy would be Soul Eater and maybe D.Gray Man.

I'd get on D.Gray Man quick since it's next season is coming out soon.
Feb 1, 2016 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
Right now. I'm watching an old magical girl show called Magical Angel Creamy Mami.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Feb 1, 2016 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
TitanAnteus said:
haveacigar said:

It started off interesting but I completely agree. It's a pretty terrible anime.

merryfistmas said:

HXH is done by Madhouse. If you like HxH then you like Madhouse. Everything they make has that unique Madhouse feel and those guys are masters of 2D battle animation.

If DBZ was done by them, the world would explode.

Wait... you don't like Naruto? To each his own I guess. I'm not a fan of One Piece either, but other battle shounen you'd enjoy would be Soul Eater and maybe D.Gray Man.

I'd get on D.Gray Man quick since it's next season is coming out soon.
I didn't like Soul Eater at all. The fights were pretty cool, so eas the art style, and I liked its character designs, but several of the characters were unbearable and the battle shonen gag humor made me want to barf.

I dropped D. Gray Man about 5 years ago, but that was right after finishing FMA:B and FMA (my first anime) and I was looking for something similar. Actually, I think I was just looking for more FMA and wasn't going to be satisfied with anything other than that, which isn't really a good way to look for shows, so I'll probably pick ot up again at some point.
Feb 1, 2016 3:55 PM

Dec 2014
I've done it several times.
Usually, it turns out good.
Feb 1, 2016 5:32 PM
Jan 2016
ThatDarnIrishMan said:

I think that's just how Key anime adaptation tends to be, a forced melodrama. There are better offerings for teen melodrama out there. My advice: avoid Key anime adaptation in the future.
Feb 1, 2016 5:39 PM

Mar 2015
my comfort zone is comedy. recently i watch inaka issha, and it was good. very good. it's not like i only does it this time, i like variety, so i check out outside comfort zone pretty often.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 1, 2016 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Lordwen said:

> mediocre at best
> forced to watch
> a 7

Not gonna lie, I laughed pretty hard at this. 7 out of 10, mediocre AT BEST!

Anyway, on topic: the last time I stepped out of my comfort zone was with Nichijou.

End result: 10/10. Probably the best anime comedy I've ever watched...
Feb 1, 2016 5:44 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
theres very few anime that out of my comfort zone..... very few.....

an example would be Free!

not watching that..... lol
Feb 1, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2014
I've stepped out of my comfort zone twice: once when I read Genshiken's manga in 3 days (back when it was 'completed' at 55 chapters lol) and I discovered a love for slice of life series; and the second is when I realized I have a soft spot for yuri series lol.
Feb 1, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2016
The last time I stepped out of my comfort zone was when I watched Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches.
for the longest time I refused to watch it because it had the "gender-bender" tag on it.
but holy crap, it taught me that tags mean nothing.
I'm so glad I watched that show.
I sincerely enjoyed it all the way through.
10/10 wish it had 12 seasons.
Feb 2, 2016 12:06 AM

May 2015
I think I do it all the time. I try to watch something different than the last thing I watched every time. I check out recommendations by friends just because they recommended, not because the anime looks good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 2, 2016 12:12 AM
Jan 2016
Stepped out of the comfort zone and what did i watch? : Free!
I hate myself and i am never ever going to watch an anime out of my comfort zone just for fun...
'Stepping out of your comfort zone is like watching bocu no pico
Feb 3, 2016 6:13 AM

Jul 2013
Stepped out of my comfort zone and watched Zoids Genesis. I don't find mecha appealing but it was one of the best anime I've watched.
Feb 3, 2016 6:14 AM

Apr 2014
Istoleyourneko said:
Stepped out of the comfort zone and what did i watch? : Free!
I hate myself and i am never ever going to watch an anime out of my comfort zone just for fun...
'Stepping out of your comfort zone is like watching bocu no pico
Free! is great, wtf are you talking about?
Feb 3, 2016 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
Marnie said:
The last one was Fate/Zero and it's 2nd season, which I watched last month. The fight scenes were well-animated. I disliked many of the characters and the ending was anticlimactic. Not in a surprising or interesting way, it just fell flat of anything meaningful. The first season had a good OP and ED. Still, there were a few characters I enjoyed and it had some interesting imagery at times. Overall, it was a bit above average.

I tried to watch Unlimited Blade Works but it didn't hook me in at all. Fate/Zero wasn't great but it kept me interested, UBW's tone was too different. I only watched about four episodes (plus the prologue) but I thought the fight-scenes were well-done again. Mostly, I think I found the main leads less interesting. Fate/Zero was about adults fighting for power and ideals. Shirou was just trying to live up to Kiritsugu and Rin was just in it because she had an obligation. I'm sure their characters are more developed later on they just didn't interest me personally.
The bait with this one is too strong.
Feb 3, 2016 6:36 AM
Jul 2015
Major123 said:
Marnie said:
The last one was Fate/Zero and it's 2nd season, which I watched last month. The fight scenes were well-animated. I disliked many of the characters and the ending was anticlimactic. Not in a surprising or interesting way, it just fell flat of anything meaningful. The first season had a good OP and ED. Still, there were a few characters I enjoyed and it had some interesting imagery at times. Overall, it was a bit above average.

I tried to watch Unlimited Blade Works but it didn't hook me in at all. Fate/Zero wasn't great but it kept me interested, UBW's tone was too different. I only watched about four episodes (plus the prologue) but I thought the fight-scenes were well-done again. Mostly, I think I found the main leads less interesting. Fate/Zero was about adults fighting for power and ideals. Shirou was just trying to live up to Kiritsugu and Rin was just in it because she had an obligation. I'm sure their characters are more developed later on they just didn't interest me personally.
The bait with this one is too strong.

I was just stating my opinion, honestly.
Feb 3, 2016 6:41 AM
Jan 2016
I used to be a strictly shonen type of guy. Until I watched Clannad and Clannad After Story between New Years eve and 4th of January. Oh boy, did I get hooked on the feels.
This January I also watched Kanon, Angel Beats and AnoHana, cried on all of them. :D
Also watched some other slice of life/romance anime, something I used to be completely disinterested in.
Feb 3, 2016 6:51 AM

Sep 2014
Happens sometimes, the results vary.
Going out of my Comfort zone by picking animes from a list of "popular" titles in terms of ranking. Currently have a few waiting on my list like "Kuroko no basuke". This one is out of my comfort zone, but since it's ranked quite high I don't mind trying it out.

If it's not enjoyable, it gets deleted.
Feb 3, 2016 6:56 AM

Nov 2009
Shoujo anime are outside of my comfort zone. Occasionally I try to watch them.
Ouran High Host-club and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge were good, but I never finished them for some reason.
Twelve Kingdoms was too boring and too uncomfortable, so I dropped it.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun was really good, but I'm told it's not really a shoujo.
Arcana Famiglia I completed without realizing it's a shoujo, and it seemed quite bland.
Inu x Boku SS might appeal to many genders, but it was definitely outside of my comfort zone (why is that sadist guy even allowed to say those things on TV? Why he isn't killed in the end? Or at least whacked by a tsundere every time?). But still good.

Bobby2Hands said:
I saw the title "Bikini Warriors" and just had to watch an episode. It was complete trash, entirely as expected.

Well, its jokes only work for computer RPG fans, it can't be taken on with pure broad-mindedness.

GaryL said:
When I was like 14 when watched Rosario to Vampire, I'm 21 now so you can say I learned my lesson

How does surviving to 21 shows that you've learned your lesson?
Feb 3, 2016 6:58 AM

Dec 2012
I didn't ever foresee myself watching Nanatsu no Taizai. It looked pretty dorky and really is every bit as dumb as I imagined. It's like Fairy Tail meets Akame ga Kill which should be a double recipe for trainwreck. But it's actually hella fun so it balances out.
Feb 3, 2016 7:11 AM

Mar 2014
The last time I went out of my comfort zone was an anime whose name I even forgot because I couldn't care about it. And its Japanese so I had to look it up in my list.
Seitokai Yakuindomo is the name.
I hoped to find a funny perverted comedy show but found a cast of generic little girls with one big loser male character. It was really generic overly positive that it was hard to watch.
There was one character though who rescued the show to me I think her name was Aria. She was funny because she bluntly talks about sex and her fetishs with a big smile on her face as if it was a normal talk and understands everything in a perverted way. Other than that the show sucked and those 13 episodes seemed like 250 to me.
Feb 3, 2016 7:16 AM

Mar 2015
-Anokata said:
I hoped to find a funny perverted comedy show but found a cast of generic little girls with one big loser male character. It was really generic overly positive that it was hard to watch.
There was one character though who rescued the show to me I think her name was Aria. She was funny because she bluntly talks about sex and her fetishs with a big smile on her face as if it was a normal talk and understands everything in a perverted way. Other than that the show sucked and those 13 episodes seemed like 250 to me.
if you didn't understand the joke, i fail the reason why you watch this series in first place and not drop it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 3, 2016 7:48 AM

Mar 2014
Kuma said:
-Anokata said:
if you didn't understand the joke, i fail the reason why you watch this series in first place and not drop it.

I start anime without watching any trailers or something. So I read some recommendations and reviews about the show and decided to give it a try. At first it was a negative surprise to see that the show wasn't what I expected and clearly outside my comfort zone but I didn't want my first impression to take over so I watched it partly just to gain the experience of watching something like that. Skipped the OVAs and second season though.
Feb 3, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2015
I usually have no problem trying out shows with different genres or target audiences, EXCEPT for yaoi-bait bishounen series full of ''''''''''''male'''''''''''' characters with annoyingly squeaky voices. Now I'm trying to keep up with Prince of Stride: Alternative and I already really really hate it. I'm only sticking to watching it because I hate making my Dropped-list longer, and because I still want to see if it can pull off some neat parkour scenes.
mimiiriaFeb 3, 2016 10:12 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

28 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

5 by BerriesSan »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

110 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
15 minutes ago

» Characters you want to sit on you / in your lap uwu

IpreferEcchi - Jun 10

32 by MinakoBestGirl »»
34 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 3 hours ago

11 by Swyzen »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.