Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 1, 2016 9:46 AM

May 2014
This was quite the episode
The teasing was funny
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Feb 1, 2016 10:51 AM

Apr 2015
r0ykun said:
ikzrx said:
This anime gets better every episode.

Hugely underrated.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Yet the ratings keep falling every week :( hopefully there's a massive rebound once it's over and the remaining majority rates it.
Feb 1, 2016 10:55 AM
Jan 2016
wow i thought this will be another of those BETA anime, where they have 2 episodes of BETA, then talk talk talk, and 2 episodes at the end with BETA. This is episode 4 and every episode have BETA. I am loving this. Where are there not more BETA anime. They are the most scary foe.
Feb 1, 2016 11:43 AM

Feb 2015
Nice, it was a pretty good episode, especially the action.
looks like this anime is getting better...
but! it's going to be a freaking annoying show to me because there are people hating each other so much, on top of that, they are a girls........
Feb 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Nov 2010
Best episode so far, especially since major operations against BETA is one of my most favorite part from Muv Luv Universe (chapter 8 man of MLA man, that was some epic stuff). Especially since I don't expect an operation with this scale this fast. Is that amphibious TSF an A-6 intruder?

The political commissar actually is much more likable than I was expecting so far (especially in eps 2-3). This much is normal if we're considering that she's there precisely to keep political "education" in check and making sure they are loyal to the party and the ideology. I can see if random people can't understand about it though.
Feb 1, 2016 4:34 PM

Dec 2013
Admittedly this is my very first entry point into the Muv-Luv universe. I'm finding the alternative world history and political structure quite interesting. Yet this dystopic fantasy world raises so many questions at the moment.

How does this show tie into the original Muv-Luv anime? Or is it just a completely different set of characters and storylines just set within the same universe, which apart from sharing the same history really have nothing to do with one another?

Anyone with knowledge on this subject, I'd love it if you could PM me on the topic. Thanks!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Feb 1, 2016 4:39 PM
Jan 2016
frenze12 said:
Great_Manatee said:

She's the main love interest and heroine of the prequel.

Anime Beatrix is different from VN Beatrix though, even down to the way she speaks (click here for a sample: http://www.age-soft.co.jp/Product/sm/wac/index.htm?process=7&escurl=../character10_esc.html /by the way, if anyone wants translations, just ask), so we can't really go off of the VN/LNs when judging the anime's version.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.

The thing that annoys me the most in the anime. They basically removed whatever sympathy she had left for the viewer. I can just hope it doesn't reach "akame ga kill" villian tier...

She's a pretty complex and even tragic villain in the LN. The anime decides just to make her straight evil for some reason though. For instances, the execution scene at the end of episode 01 never happened in either the VN or LN, the speech she gives to hype her men up for operations against the BETA is changed into one that makes her sound like a fascist (she never said that people should be unequal), and she ignores the NVA distress calls when in the LN,
She's also much rougher sounding and less sophisticated and sensuous. The VN had her giggling and throwing out ara aras all over the place.

Additionally, she hates Axmann with a vengeance. She wouldn't be eager to be his attack dog like she is in the anime.

It's already surpassed AkG tier in my mind. At least Esdeath was likable sometimes.
Great_ManateeFeb 1, 2016 4:43 PM
Feb 1, 2016 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
His sister is alive, great.
So now they understand that they are the "bad ones" and how the rest of the world sees them, that was interesting.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 1, 2016 6:11 PM

Jul 2012
I gotta admit that so far with each episode it is getting better and better, I enjoyed seeing the first half which was more relaxed then it usually is but still bring on the fact that Lise is probably a spy and they have to watch out for her yet also bringing that funny moment finding out Theodor has a thing for blonds with nice figures...Irisdina x Theodor incomg? lol but yea the action was also well done and loved the politics of everything being put into play and also now we will get some cool interactions between the east and west that I cannot wait for next week to see how that will be.

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ui3JcksVY&feature=youtu.be
Feb 1, 2016 10:27 PM
Aug 2015
As a VN reader I can fully appreciate the thought put into Schwarzesmarken thus far. All the anti-BETA strategies have been spectacular. It shows how much thought they put into it too, since it feels more and more like a love letter to long-time fans of the franchise.

Love Irisdina. Lise is like, 90% certain to be a manchurian agent or a straight up spy since she was shown off at the end of episode 1 as a silhouette.

Keeping my fingers crossed for any F22A-Raptor appearances. America obviously has a vested interest in keeping the EU up as a buffer. Its such a shame this is only 12 episodes...
Feb 2, 2016 1:38 AM

Nov 2013
Zinaida said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for any F22A-Raptor appearances.

Too soon for Raptors, they was built only in 2001.
Feb 2, 2016 4:13 PM

Jun 2015
soluuloi said:
The more you love your country, the more you will hate the fact that everyone is looking down on your countries and treat your people like some irrelevant idiots.

Probably that, but I also think she might just be scared that the Stasi will have them executed for whatever trivial reason they may find.

So far, I like Schwarzesmarken so much better than TE. There's much less annoying fan service and the main characters are not just a bunch of naive little girls plus one male love interest. I'm starting to wonder where the ludicrous thought of dropping this came from during the first two episodes ;)
Feb 2, 2016 4:45 PM

Jul 2015
L-Ryoshi said:

Schwarzesmarken takes place in the Alternative Universe in 1983, so about 20 years before the original series.

The original Muv-Luv series is divided into two universes if I recall correctly. The first Muv-Luv universe (of two) is split into Extra/Unlimited, then the next universe is Alternative, which incorporates this series.

Sorry for not sending a PM, but I feel this is important for those who have the same question.
SonoumiFeb 2, 2016 4:49 PM
Feb 2, 2016 8:27 PM

Jan 2008
GeneticHell said:
soluuloi said:
The more you love your country, the more you will hate the fact that everyone is looking down on your countries and treat your people like some irrelevant idiots.

Probably that, but I also think she might just be scared that the Stasi will have them executed for whatever trivial reason they may find.

So far, I like Schwarzesmarken so much better than TE. There's much less annoying fan service and the main characters are not just a bunch of naive little girls plus one male love interest. I'm starting to wonder where the ludicrous thought of dropping this came from during the first two episodes ;)

Well, the number of ppl dropping Schwarzesmarken compare to TE is way lower, the number of ppl dropping TE is way higher. That's why Schwarzesmarken is an improvement.
Feb 3, 2016 1:05 AM

Sep 2014
Incest is wincest!!!!

I lost my shit when the sexy, slurpable......I mean stupid megane LT. started to "override" the captains decisions and they all stayed and argued after what's her face said a ground strike was approaching. REALLY!!!!!!

However, I do like how everyone knows she's got to be a Stasi spy and don't trust her vs the "but she's got to be good so I'm going to blindly turst her" crap.

Also, I was a bit confused when I saw VF-103 and tomcats mentioned until she said the squadron name......then I laughed my ass off. VF-103 was a fixed-wing fighter squadron or strike squadron made up of F-14 tomcats. When the F-14 decommissioned, it was replaced by F/A-18 Super Hornets. Thus changing the squadron to VFA-103 Jolly Rogers. What's funny is that the anime role of VF-103 matches the roll of the real world VFA-103......History lesson over.

As for the sister, I'm pretty sure she's going to play the sleeper agent. She can't remember anything and has triggers that cause her to do certain things but doesn't recall it. I'm also sure they trained her to gain their trust and when certain criteria are met......she ends up killing Frank Drebon (bonus points if you get the reference).
Feb 3, 2016 1:15 AM

Sep 2014
Zinaida said:
As a VN reader.......

You mean as a person who plays VN's? That's like saying I'm a real-time strategist for the field of electronic entertainment. :-) couldn't resist.

MKusanagi said:
Zinaida said:

Raptors didn't start test flights until 1997. Hell, the YF-22 was earlier than that. First production of the F-22 was in 2005. Besides, this is anime. You really think they care about the year it was produces? Don't ever question anime logic.
Feb 3, 2016 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
Fredo_p said:
Zinaida said:
As a VN reader.......

You mean as a person who plays VN's? That's like saying I'm a real-time strategist for the field of electronic entertainment. :-) couldn't resist.

MKusanagi said:

Raptors didn't start test flights until 1997. Hell, the YF-22 was earlier than that. First production of the F-22 was in 2005. Besides, this is anime. You really think they care about the year it was produces? Don't ever question anime logic.

I'm really certain that we won't see F22 in Schwarzesmarken.

http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/F-22A_Raptor
MKusanagiFeb 3, 2016 1:33 AM
Feb 3, 2016 3:16 AM

Sep 2014
The F-22A Raptor is a highly advanced 3rd generation Tactical Surface Fighter, developed by Lockweed Mardin

OH MY FUCK!!!!!

Lockweed Mardin?

Feb 3, 2016 3:44 AM
Jan 2014
Raishin said:
L-Ryoshi said:

Schwarzesmarken takes place in the Alternative Universe in 1983, so about 20 years before the original series.

The original Muv-Luv series is divided into two universes if I recall correctly. The first Muv-Luv universe (of two) is split into Extra/Unlimited, then the next universe is Alternative, which incorporates this series.

Sorry for not sending a PM, but I feel this is important for those who have the same question.

To add to Raishin's answer. I think people who are new to Muv-Luv universe should watch the first 2 episodes of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse.
It could help answer some questions such as why most of the pilots are young girls, also it should give a better grasp of the world situation and the terror of BETA, which Schwarzesmarken fails in my opinion.
Feb 3, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2014
This episode really confused me. I had to go back and watch the first ep cos I thought his sister died in that. Wouldn't have cared either way tbh.
Feb 3, 2016 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that shows how good is yet to give this anime series, I was going to fall into the trap and be tempted to think that the story had taken a turn for the worse, however back in vogue those elements that are so dear to me in a similar work, happily satisfied . Drawings and animations a little down in the first phase, but the CG in the second half, often overshadows this defect, the final puts more spice to the story.

jhoson14 said:
TSF PROONNNN

Mig-21
F-14
Tornado

What a beautiful copy-paste that they did! XD

Xenocrisi said:
Imouto is suspicious as fuck

Megane chan has a big death flag.

I thought she died already in this episode. LOL
Feb 3, 2016 12:16 PM
Aug 2015
Fredo_p said:
Zinaida said:
As a VN reader.......

They spend a good 4 hours spread across the VN explaining well in depth about things such as NOE (Nap of Earth) among other thing. So, yeah. Also, I meant, "As a person who read the VN of Muvluv Alternative"

MKusanagi said:
Zinaida said:

Oh really? Apologies. I actually thought it'd only take at most, a year or two prior to MLA.
Feb 3, 2016 4:49 PM

Jun 2013
Another really solid episode
for those who like the m u v luv series, would you recommend watching it if I like this series?
Feb 3, 2016 6:41 PM

Sep 2014
Zinaida said:
Also, I meant, "As a person who read the VN of Muvluv Alternative"

The damn thing is$40?!!!! And the "download" version is over 2 gigs? Fuck that.

I'll just stick to the anime. Besides, I'm running Linux so it won't work. LOL
Feb 3, 2016 7:53 PM

Jan 2012
This is so refreshing to see. its not a halfed-assed echii mecha anime
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Feb 3, 2016 11:22 PM

Oct 2008
Lisa is apparently alive, but we don't know if she's a spy...
damn that girl Gretel! political stability is much more important than the lives of her own team....hope she dies in an excruciating slow manner.
4/5.

Feb 4, 2016 11:16 PM

Apr 2012
Sister disappears because of Stasi and then reappears. Yeah, that set my alarms ringing all right.
Great ep!
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Feb 5, 2016 12:59 AM

Oct 2011
I don't trust his sister at all.
Feb 6, 2016 1:47 PM

Jan 2015
Imouto has arrived, I bet she's a spy or something and to live she had to agree on spying or something of that sort.
Imouto saying that onii-chan prefers blonde women with nice figures, I mean who the fuck wouldn't like a sexy woman like Iris
Megane needs to think more, they need to live, I mean she wants her country to be the stronger one but needs to stop being so salty.
West had better robots, better missiles. They should really join forces and stop the bugs, but political shits won't let that happen because of their pride and ego.
Overall an okay episode, nothing too good nothing too shit.
Feb 6, 2016 11:45 PM

Jul 2008
They are pretty much setting the death scenes of the characters now, the remaining episodes will not end up like this.
Feb 9, 2016 5:28 PM

Sep 2013
I try this anime, because my friend who play VN first Muv Luv say this anime better than TE.
Unfortunately I didn't watch TE
Feb 13, 2016 3:37 PM

Feb 2013
When those ships started firing... mmm yea, that's the stuff. Good action from then on.
Feb 16, 2016 6:18 AM

Jul 2008
Lise is definitely a spy, I have no doubt. And how can glasses girl be an idiot. No we can't retreat we must die for the country...can you really be that stupid?
Mar 16, 2016 6:31 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
And then there is my favorite scene/quote of the episode:

May 4, 2016 9:35 AM

Jan 2016
Sure pisses me off how she thinks Germany's reputation is more important than her comrades. Are you stupid?? i bet Lise is brainwashed xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 29, 2016 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
Good episode. I'm not sure about Lise, it's just a feeling but I also think she's maybe a spy, brainwashed or what ever. Something is definitely weird. But the teasing was funny I liked that a lot :D

And what is wrong with Gretel? She rates the respect towards East Germany higher than the lifes of her comrades/friends? That's so dumb. And there you could see how important it is if everyone works together to beat the BETA.

Animation as always on point!!!!

May 27, 2017 11:37 PM

Dec 2012
lol The way she looked around, spotted him, ran up to him, and then hugged him so quick looked so fake.
I had a feeling Theodor wasn't related to his dad, mom, and sister. Was wondering where the red hair came from. So he's actually a distance relative. Close enough. Now he can bang the imouto.
Theodor has a thing for blonde's with nice racks? *looks at imouto*
Katia sad that Theodor is focusing on the imouto now, but don't worry...he still has to protect you.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 22, 2017 12:48 AM

Nov 2013
Lise isn't dead after all. Well, that's exactly what the Stasi would do. She's most likely brainwashed and was sent to the unit to put pressure on Theodor.

The joint operation was nice. They really ripped the BETA a new one. Gretel acted as expected of a political officer. And the one girl from the Bundeswehr really seems to hate the East Germans.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
May 26, 2020 5:35 AM

Jul 2016
Maikeru-kun136 said:
My favourite episode from this serie so far :)
It was kind of funny to watch it,because my sister lives in Gdansk lol

I thought it was pretty good at setting the tone. Expecting to see some fireworks next episode with east vs west intenral fights.
Mar 22, 2021 1:08 PM

Jul 2013
Wow a navy ship called Karl Marx

It's cool that Lise is alive, but I feel like she's a spy or worse, sleeper agent :/ At least the squad is suspicious. I feel like most other anime everyone would be all "Aww she's too cute to be a spy" or "That's my sister, I love her, she's not a spy" blah blah
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.