Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2019 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A thrilling series' finale with Thorfinn's rebellious nature still showing. We got him making his move while fighting a wave of enemies in his way. Hell, this even takes in his hometown and it's not what he was ready for.

Violence is still pretty evident even int his episode. Such a cruel Viking world. Of course they kept in the violence and bloodshed as usual. Thorfinn's life just never seems to be happy.

Damn.

No Season 2 announced but I think it's inevitable someday.
Stark700Dec 29, 2019 8:10 AM
Dec 29, 2019 7:30 AM

Jun 2014
Is season 2 announced at the end?

Dec 29, 2019 7:30 AM

Dec 2017
damn, Askeladd pretty much carried this season with the brilliant culmination in this episode
the melody during his last speech was so perfectly fit, amazingly done. looking forward to s2

Dec 29, 2019 7:34 AM

Aug 2017
Great finale for a great show. RIP Askeladd. One of the best anime from 2019. 9/10 for the anime.
NurguburuAug 26, 2020 11:23 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 29, 2019 7:36 AM

Nov 2011
SmilingBeginner said:

No, we dont have season 2 announced.
Dec 29, 2019 7:36 AM

Jul 2017
Askeladd has been thrown the towel: to fight against his own hometown Wales. But in his valiant effort to dissuade King Sweyn from doing so from Prince Canute, he has to take charge of the invasion and take matters into his own hands. But King Sweyn has alredy seen through their plan, and know of Askeladd's descendents, TO HIS ABSOLUTE HORROR.

Plan B...to assassinate him head-on and proclaim his rightful King status as the King of Britannia. And Prince Canute definitely didn't get the short end of the stick as Askeladd invades the King's residence with his full-on acting of madness of killing King Sweyn with his own hands.

ALAS, Prince Canute has to take things his own chance to stop Askeladd and "slay" him before anything gets too far. For Thorfinn, IT WAS A SLAP IN THE FACE after his revenge plot was thwarted, and Askeladd died IN FRONT OF HIM, to fulflll his father Thors's wish, and to continue this journey without him.

WHAT AN EMOTIONAL AND EPIC FINALE. Thorfinn has NO revenge to turn back to, and without Askeladd, he turns a blind eye to everything. And Prince Canute is FINALLY throned King of England, with a throwback towards the timeskip.

Hope this gets a Season 2, there's absolutely NO way this anime can't be passed for that!
Dec 29, 2019 7:40 AM

Mar 2014
so... no Second season announcement at the end though... but things got so fokin wild at this Episode, and by the name of this Ep, THE END OF THE PROLOGUE, means everything.
so the Anime is kind of Prologue to the Manga, so you can check there for MORE INFORMATION...
so yeah, no season 2, but an Amazing Anime, might be Anime of the year for me, if not Kimetsu no Yaiba or Isekai Quartet... (don't ask me why, I have my own reasons)

Askeladd's Death was really painful to see, and also, WHEN HE SLAYED SWEN KING'S HEAD, I WAS LIKE DAMNNNN!!!
Askeladd is the man of this Anime, and will be forever my Favorite Character of 2019.
Usopp8000Dec 29, 2019 7:54 AM
Dec 29, 2019 7:44 AM

Nov 2016
And thus the anime of the year has come to an end. Nothing short of amazing. The way Askeladd went out, this was the single most powerful sacrifice in anime of the recent years. I thought how Thors gave up on his life was epic, but it got nothing on the execution of this part.

Even Thorfinn's reaction to it was more painful to watch. And I loved the scene where he dropped the dagger and the images that were shown in montage. That was a pleasant surprise along with the little preview of the characters who are going to play a big role later on.

Rewatching some scenes before S2 and this is still peak.
FMmatronJan 6, 2023 4:54 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2019 7:47 AM
Jun 2015
God this was such a Masterful conclusion. Lol I haven't even watched the sub yet but who cares. I've been cranky all fuckin morning waiting for this moment to be animated and nothing disappointed. But the ending was so beautiful. Just showing Thorffins past through his knife with a gorgeous ost that pans onto another chapter of this wonderful masterpiece. Can only hope for a season 2. Grab your pitchforks people. Its farming time!
Dec 29, 2019 7:47 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Excellent till the end. Askeladd waifu of the year.

AotY.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 29, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2016
What an ending.

After six months, the epilogue of Vinland Saga is finally over. Sundays will not be the same without Thorfinn's screams, that's for sure. The finale today was insane, Askeladd killing Sweyn who is in turned killed by Canute. The music was superb, and made the episode even more tense than it already was. The knife scene near the end was also a great addition. WIT Studio did a fantastic job.

I'm pretty sure Season 2 was teased at the end, and also at the official twitter account of Vinland Saga (@V_SAGA_ANIME). I don't expect it to come out next year though.

I will really miss these discussions, see you guys next time!

Overall, 5/5
Series Score: 9/10 (despite some minor flaws, I really enjoyed this season)
Dec 29, 2019 8:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great ending, this anime was very good.
Dec 29, 2019 8:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this was a fantastic and emotional finale episode!

I'm very glad I got the opportunity to watch this live on the NHK-G Channel because I was totally stoked for the episode the entire day, and it has delivered through and through!

Askeladd vs. the King's psychological battle there was freakin' spine-chilling! No wonder why he's the King, he's got the history of origin and all (relevant during the moment, that is) of Askeladd's covered. Too bad for him, he definitely didn't anticipate Askeladd to take matters into his own hands and in the process effectively sacrifice himself though. A rare misjudgment from the King, aren't such underhanded means of attack common or was he just too confident?

I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when the King's head was detached from the neck and falling to the ground though. Bloody hell, mad respect to Askeladd for that! I suppose many would say he got this coming and quite rightly so but offering up his life for the greater good for Canute was very moving even then to say the least.

Of course, no way in hell the minions could stop Askeladd after that! God, Askeladd on rampage mode was incredible! I bet he could even beat Bjorn in rage mode from the mushrooms in this state. All hail the true king of Britannia!

And then those final words to Thorfinn to top it off, "Become a true warrior, Thorfinn. Much like Thors".

Thorkell paying respect to Askeladd and acknowledging him after that was really touching to see, I was hoping to see more of them together later but death flags were all over the place from last episode so it was more like wishful thinking from my part I suppose.

Thorfinn is seriously a lost cause now, even going as far as to attacking the Prince for taking away his "final blow". And that dejected look, I honestly have no idea where he's going to next. Sadly, he's been a pretty stale and dull character for me.

Thorfinn's dagger dropping to the ground resulting in the quick recap of crucial events over the course of the season followed by the transition across the sea was very interesting to see! Are they hyping up for a possible 2nd Season? I can't recall any of those characters shown during those moments. Edit: Apparently so. Wit Studio, take your time if need be but please give us Season 2 and more of this!

Overall, this has been a fantastic show with great production values for the most bit and a strong storyline (not the best however I reckon, I'm sorry avid fans of the series)! Thorfinn aside, the character development and exploration from Thors at the start, Askeladd from then on and Prince Canute during the last few episodes were all a treat to keep up with really. People were hyping about how ground-breaking this department in particular is, and I actually have to agree with that for the majority. Incredible stuff!

I've seen a few complaints on the Soundtrack and Animation Quality, but honestly they were brilliant for me. Op/ED and the VA were great too so no particular qualms from my side. Violence and many raw emotions were wonderfully displayed and for that, a round of applause to the creator and to the team!

As such, I'll give this show a solid 9/10!

Wit Studio did an incredible job with this and I'm dearly hoping they'll be back for Season 2!

Edit: Rewatched it in advance to catch up to Season 2 and my impression is more or less the same this time around too. Beautiful last episode, this. And peak fiction, all-round. 
_MushiRock11_Jan 23, 2023 2:57 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 29, 2019 8:02 AM
Nov 2016
SmilingBeginner said:

No, but we see 3 characters that are shown later in the manga. So i think S2 will happen
Dec 29, 2019 8:38 AM

Jan 2019
Well this episode gets rid of my worries. Fucking amazing anime. AOTY right here.
It's been a long journey, and it paid off.
Personal Score: 10/10
Edit: Lmao I hyped a lot, critically it's a 8/10. Sorry if I lied to people reading this later. I still love this anime.
ElucidOct 26, 2020 5:24 PM
Dec 29, 2019 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
I literally cant control my tears right now wtf this is so weird. Askeladd was portrayed as the antagonist in every possible way yet I sympathised with him the most and I just can't stop crying. I am so glad to have seen this masterpiece before the end of the decade. 10/10.
Dec 29, 2019 8:44 AM

Mar 2012
I can finally say Askeladd's real name; Lucius. He was one of the best villain protagonists in a long time.

All my fears for season 2 are gone now.
Dec 29, 2019 8:47 AM

Dec 2018
I won't really say much, just gonna say that this is one of absolute best final episodes I've ever seen in a season. That's all. I was absolutely thrilled, enthralled and blown away by this. Being a massive shounen junkie myself, never really thought that I'd ever love a seinen this much, but Vinland Saga taught me something else.

Kinda bittersweet that Askeladd is gone now though. :/ How will a potential Season 2 be this amazing without him? :(
345EdwardElricDec 29, 2019 8:50 AM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Dec 29, 2019 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
What a masterpiece.Excellent adaptation,this will be included in the list of those Seinen manga's which received great adaptations.

The character interactions,music,OST and the action sequences was so well done.The plot was god tier too.

The ending also teased some characters which hints at season 2 announcement.

10/10 series.

Dec 29, 2019 8:51 AM

Feb 2019
Have waited well over a decade to see this animated and was not disappointed at all. "Thorfinn, what will you do when I'm dead" One of the few things I've ever read that made me cry. Putting yourself in Thorfinn's position. You've lived your entire life with only one purpose, one thing in your mind, revenge. Now that very purpose has been taken from you. What do you go on to do? What do you have left? Just a feeling of cold emptiness. Whether he wants to admit it or not, Thorfinn also became attached to Asekladd.

Hats off to WIT for accomplishing something that was previously thought impossible by adapting Vinland Saga masterfully. I'm so glad to see how popular it's become at least on Twitter and Reddit as well. That perfect balance of popular, but not overly popular(KNY) For years, I had no one to talk to about one of my favourites. Everything felt extremely realistic and grounded and many scenes I forgot I was even watching an anime, it all just felt real.

No S2 announcement which really isn't a shock based on where the story goes after this, WIT's recent comments about focusing on original content next and the situation with SNK 4. Raises the question of how popular a second season two of Vinland would be given the story is completely different and less focus on action and more on philosophical and intellectual battles. Would that sell much? Had a season 2 been announced today, it would have essentially ruled SNK 4 out for WIT, while still unlikely, there's still a possibility for now. Sunday's will definitely feel weird without my fairy gone and vinland combo, but what a ride it's been. Happy New Year everyone.

Edit: That ending shot with Gudrid, Hild and Hild was fucking gorgeous.
Marinate1016Dec 29, 2019 9:24 AM
Dec 29, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2017
Askeladd you absolute madlad. This anime was fucking fantastic, kudos to Studio WIT.
Dec 29, 2019 9:04 AM

Apr 2016
Great story, amazing animation, awesome OST..Overall a very very good anime. I want 2nd season now
Final score 9/10

Dec 29, 2019 9:05 AM

May 2017
huh. Not gonna lie I was let down by the directing in this episode. I mean it was very very likely that askelad would die in this episode but the way they handled the scene didn't really connect to me all that much, I didn't even get goosebumps :/ Everything felt pretty lacking in this episode.

Idk if it is the directing that caused me to be so emotionless in this episode or the characters. I liked Thorfinn and Askeladd but I feel like their bond did not really reach me like it should have.
shayed__Dec 29, 2019 9:10 AM
Dec 29, 2019 9:06 AM

Apr 2019
Wow.....what an ending. Manga it is.

Dec 29, 2019 9:07 AM

Sep 2019
Arjuna777 said:
What a masterpiece.Excellent adaptation,this will be included in the list of those Seinen manga's which received great adaptations.

The character interactions,music,OST and the action sequences was so well done.The plot was god tier too.

The ending also teased some characters which hints at season 2 announcement.

10/10 series.
Yeah, Vinland saga and Doraemon are two of the seinen manga who got nice adaptations.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Dec 29, 2019 9:13 AM

Sep 2014
Perfection! I was a bit afraid of what they were planning to do with the Thorfinn-Leif subplot but it had no effect to the arc's finale and Thorfinn's character. Aske... I mean Lucius Artorius Castus went full badass and pretending to be mad, sacrificed himself for both Wales and Canute. Thorfinn now lost his reason to live. It was nice to see a bit of the next chapter and a certain character too. 10/10 and my AOTY. Thank you, Wit Studio.
MonkeyDHunterDec 29, 2019 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
Ah, re-watching it, Wit did NOT animate when Canute actually lifted the crown off the floor and put the it on his head. That was a nice moment showing he had no hesitation but they left it out. 9/10 for this adaptation

Feb 2011
Absolutely incredible show. Seeing Thorfinn losing his second father figure and being powerless yet again was incredibly powerful. This will go down as a modern classic and for sure one of the best anime of the decade.

Dec 29, 2019 9:15 AM
Sep 2019
Great ending rip Askeladd poor thorfinn
Anime of the year. Hopefully in the future we'll get the farmland saga .
Dec 29, 2019 9:20 AM
Nov 2016
Couldn't ask for a better ending.I've read the manga but I almost cried watching the episode.Wit did an amazing job.There was also a sneak peak for Slavery Arc, hopefully this means we'll get a second season in the near future.
Dec 29, 2019 9:21 AM

May 2019
MonkeyDHunter said:
Perfection! I was a bit afraid of what they were planning to do with the Thorfinn-Leif subplot but it had no effect to the arc's finale and Thorfinn's character. Aske... I mean Lucius Artorius Castus went full badass and pretending to be mad, sacrificed himself for both Wales and Canute. Thorfinn now lost his reason to live. It was nice to see a bit of the next chapter and a certain character too. 10/10 and my AOTY. Thank you, Wit Studio.
Yea after episode 23 i was also scared that they might go for an anime original ending, i was sweating when Thorfinn went into the boat with Leif lol
Dec 29, 2019 9:26 AM

Sep 2014
Kobayasan said:
MonkeyDHunter said:
Yea after episode 23 i was also scared that they might go for an anime original ending, i was sweating when Thorfinn went into the boat with Leif lol

We gotta blame that vague NHK episode summary for that lol
Dec 29, 2019 9:28 AM

Jul 2017
An excellent end to an excellent season.

It had its issues, that denies the anime from being a 10 like its manga.
- Awkward mix of 2D and CG in fights
- Soundtracks at times being forgettable around the first half of the show
- Minor pacing issues
- Some filler being great, some being purposeless

But overall, its been one of the lone shining stars in a year full of disappointments. The characters were great, the narrative to this prologue was inspiring, refreshing and outstanding and it had a lot of heart for the most part. I'm gonna miss this.
Dec 29, 2019 9:33 AM

Jun 2014
Lovely adaption. I've been waiting for this episode. Now the Askeladd Saga comes to an end.
Dec 29, 2019 9:35 AM
Oct 2013
One of the best episodes of the year for sure.
The death of Askeladd and his last words to Thorfinn hit me hard. may his soul rest in piece.
I hope we get s2.
overall 9/10, the last 6-7 episodes were some of the best produced in latest years anime wise.
Dec 29, 2019 9:36 AM
Mar 2019
Usopp8000 said:
so... no Second season announcement at the end though... but things got so fokin wild at this Episode, and by the name of this Ep, THE END OF THE PROLOGUE, means everything.
so the Anime is kind of Prologue to the Manga, so you can check there for MORE INFORMATION...
so yeah, no season 2, but an Amazing Anime, might be Anime of the year for me, if not Kimetsu no Yaiba or Isekai Quartet... (don't ask me why, I have my own reasons)

Askeladd's Death was really painful to see, and also, WHEN HE SLAYED SWEN KING'S HEAD, I WAS LIKE DAMNNNN!!!
Askeladd is the man of this Anime, and will be forever my Favorite Character of 2019.
no in the manga this part is considered the end of the prologue as well. It basically sets everything up for the rest of the series
Dec 29, 2019 9:37 AM

Jan 2009
kinda weak sakuga wise lol

but good enough although i expected better ever since i read this part of the manga

but ye this show will never be the same without Askeladd or the true king of Britain

all those evil Askeladd did was for this moment lol the end justify the means or a necessary evil

degDec 29, 2019 9:43 AM
Dec 29, 2019 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
Too bad that the best character of the series died. Now i really have lost most of my interest for the series
Dec 29, 2019 9:38 AM

Jun 2014
Holy. Fucking. Shit. We're just a few days away from the beginning of a new decade of anime, but what a fucking way to finish this decade. I don't even know what to say, Askeladd, or rather, Lucius, was a fucking badass from the beginning up to the bitter end. I lowkey wanted some kind of last minute shounen BS to prevent him from dying lol but obviously that wouldn't happen.

An amazing finale for an amazing show. I really do hope to get a second season in the near future as I really want to see how Thorfinn moves on from this. Not only did Askeladd become his new father figure after Thors' death, but he was literally Thorfinn's sole purpose for living. And it was taken from him in an instant. Just a phenomenal show overall.

Oh yeah, and after this episode, Askeladd has most definitely earned himself a spot on my favorite characters list.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 29, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2019
this was fucking great
10/10 (i rate everything high and this was a obvious 10 from me since last few episodes)

Feb 2018
Honestly, I wasn't totally sold on this series in the beginning. Early on, I'd be "oh, that was a decent episode" and move on to the rest of my day. But that second half was spectacular.

Askeladd is my Anime Character of the Year after today's episode. Just wow. He's probably going to go down in history as a despicable person that beheaded the King, and he had to have known that. Canute, don't mess this up. He basically gave up his life because he believed you could do good things as the next King.

Season 2, please please please.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*

Aug 2013
RIP Askeladd, or should I say Lucius Artorius Castus.
I wasn't expecting Askeladd to chop the King's head off. That was mad.
And seeing him take down all those Danes was crazy.
A great way to end this series.

Poor Thorfinn, he now lost his reason to live. Watching him was quite painful for me.

I'm going to give this an 8/10. I will definitely pick up the manga.
LeoDec 29, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 29, 2019 9:40 AM

Mar 2016
it was a very solid season despite the pacing and the CGI ani. the story that it had initially portrayed was beautiful. i found the world building great and intriguing in the first part, especially for someone who is fond of history. i gave a 7/10 as i felt parts of the story and filler were messy and there were minor points. overall a good anime with good potential but only a satisfactory execution.

4/5 episodeee :)

in other words, we finna start manga readin'.
strawberaetaeDec 29, 2019 9:46 AM

Dec 29, 2019 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
Damn what an end! Askeladd you amazing fool! I kept calling him despicable the entire series but when it mattered, when he could have betrayed Canute for his country, he picked the noble route? Man did he redeem himself in my eyes. Bravo Askeladd! Bravo this show.

Btw were we meant to know who all those people at the end were or will it be revealed in s2?
Dec 29, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2015
King death was satsfying to see.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 29, 2019 9:43 AM
Mar 2012
MonkeyDHunter said:

The Thorfinn-Leif subplot was just there to juxtapose the choice that Thorfinn made to continue obsessing over Askeladd, as opposed to reuniting with his family and his chance of visiting Vinland. It adds a little more flavor (and, to a lesser extent, fills time) leading up to the main event and isn't meant to detract from it.
Dec 29, 2019 9:46 AM
Aug 2019
This has been a long prologue it was great now I can go continue reading the manga.
I hope we get a second season!

Dec 29, 2019 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
Askeladd died, I didn't think he'd die this fast. Overall this was great, hoping to see a new season soon.
MegamiRemFeb 22, 2020 10:57 AM
Dec 29, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2009
Floki should have died too though fuck that piece of shit for ordering to kill Thors
Dec 29, 2019 9:52 AM

Jan 2019
IwaOi-KHRStan said:
one of the worst series of the century. Thorfinn is still a stupid, useless brat like he was 5. totally lack of character development, shit graphic of the animation. the end is completely without pathos.
0 /10 for me. i won't never watch the movie. this trash dies today for me.

Ok, whatever floats your boat pal.
Pages (17) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.