Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 31, 2016 4:05 PM

Jul 2016
The next 2 weeks are going to be about Berseria (takes place like 1000+ years before Tales of Zestiria). We're likely going to discover how "Malevolence and Calamity" came into existence... well, if ToB trailers are somewhat accurate, that is.

We will see Velvet for sure. We will also see her sworn enemy (seen in the announcement trailer for this Anime, I think).

Jul 31, 2016 4:30 PM

Feb 2015
They're really doing a great job of adapting the game in their own way. All the charm of the characters and the world are still their, but the Malevolence and Calamity feels so much more intense and the story is paced much better than in the game, with some of the bad parts being completely cut out (like Mikleo getting butthurt about not being able to purify Hellions).

And holy shit, is next week going to be a Tales of Berseria Velvet-focused episode? That's what the preview made it sound like. That will be great. I and many others have been waiting to see how Velvet factors into everything since she is in the opening after all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2016 4:36 PM

Dec 2012
Cannot get enough of how beautiful Ladylake is. Sorey looks great in that Shepherds outfit.
LOL that little communication exchange with everyone.

Lailah's Flame Vortex looked really cool purifying those Bats. OST was amazing.

Hmm Lord of Calamity.

Another massive storm is approaching.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 31, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2015
That is one big ass, terrifying, storm.... Can't wait for next episode.

Jul 31, 2016 6:22 PM
Nov 2015
ufotable is still god, though I can't say I'm a fan of the story direction of the show. Yet.

3/5
Jul 31, 2016 6:38 PM

Jan 2014
Never played the game, and this story is confusing as fuck. I just want to see the fights that Ufotable can beautifully animate
Jul 31, 2016 6:50 PM

Jul 2016
DoctorWasabi said:
Never played the game, and this story is confusing as fuck. I just want to see the fights that Ufotable can beautifully animate

I'll try to make it simple without spoiling anything.

Lord of Calamity = Creates an abnormal amount of Malevolence.

Malevolence = Twist living things and objects alike. It can turn humans into Hellion (Fox Guy from episode 0). It can turn animals into Hellions (Bats from this episode). It can animate non-living things (Water, Earth... as seen in this episode)

Calamity = When too much Malevolence is accumulated, it will bring forth Calamities. What kind of Calamities? Well, think of Episode 00 --- that giant Tornado that killed Alisha's friend and destroyed a town. Calamities can be natural disaster, I guess.

Shepherd: His/her duty is to quell the biggest source of Malevolence --- The Lord of Calamity.

Humans can generate some Malevolence as well (as seen in previous episodes) when certain conditions are met (Fear, evil, heavy unhealthy emotions, etc). While it is not a great amount, when you condense a huge crowd of humans (in huge cities), things can get out of hand.

Sorey's journey is about bringing balance back into the world. He must defeat the Lord of Calamity.

Next episode seems to focus on Velvet, the protagonist from the upcoming game, Tales of Berseria. Since the game isn't out, I can't do anything but speculate based on what they've shown.

From what I have been, it will (next week's episode) show how Calamity and Malevolence started. This may help you understand better (I hope so... I'm only guessing since I have no idea what's in it).

Jul 31, 2016 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
I wonder if some of you have actually played a tales game if you think this pacing is slow,it's going decently fast pace without leaving out the important bits :P.

don't remember a lot of the early lady lake stuff but i don't recall that Giant storm or the ruins they went to unless it was them changing the sewers to it.
Jul 31, 2016 7:20 PM

Dec 2012
Mikleo is so pretty >.< I can never get enoguh of him.
Jul 31, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode! Ufotable never disappoints xD
Lailah is so cute :3
Can't wait to see Sorey beating those monsters.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 31, 2016 9:05 PM
Jul 2012
astroprogs said:

It probably is, and, four episodes in, i'm not sure why they decided on making this a split core.

It takes time to animate something of this quality - that's why it's a split cour. The same thing happened with Fate/Zero. Heck, Ufotable had to delay God Eaters because they couldn't keep up the quality. If that can happen in a 1 cour show, then a 2 cour show would be much more exhaustive for Ufotable. Unless you would want the 2nd half of the show to be potato quality, then the wait is worth it.
Aug 1, 2016 12:17 AM
Mar 2015
Lol to people saying the episodes are slow paced. Have you ever played a tales game? The reason why other Tales anime pretty much fail is because they are streamlined and rushed. This epside had Worldbulding and I think the plot is kicking in when they introduce Velvet Crowe

And how is the storyline confusing?
Lord of Calamity = big bad
big bad creates Malevolence from poeple´s emotions
Sory = Shepherd must defeat Lord of Calamities
Aug 1, 2016 12:38 AM

Aug 2008
Samhiuy said:
astroprogs said:

It probably is, and, four episodes in, i'm not sure why they decided on making this a split core.

It takes time to animate something of this quality - that's why it's a split cour. The same thing happened with Fate/Zero. Heck, Ufotable had to delay God Eaters because they couldn't keep up the quality. If that can happen in a 1 cour show, then a 2 cour show would be much more exhaustive for Ufotable. Unless you would want the 2nd half of the show to be potato quality, then the wait is worth it.

Ufotable has been synonymous with great quality, both animation and in music, for nearly the past decade, when they've been doing alot of Type Moon-related works. God Eater was OK, but I didn't like the characters much. This adaption, though, has so far rekindled my love for their studio.
Aug 1, 2016 1:13 AM

Dec 2014
Last scene before ending and when get out from cave was amazing!
I wanted to watch this on my TV rather than my computer.
And i wanted to ask
Aug 1, 2016 1:17 AM

Sep 2013
Already liking that Alishia breaking the troupe of 'helpless childish powerless maiden', and hope no romance is implied. Would like it as group of companions travelling together and build solid comradeship.

Sorey learning about dark side of human city and ugliness and his mission against the calamity. Sometimes Mikleo seems like a powerless sidekick not a Seraphim, in the previous ep too, his involvement was negligible.
Aug 1, 2016 2:27 AM

Apr 2010
Keihatsu said:
And i wanted to ask

No.

lecharacters
Aug 1, 2016 3:46 AM

Aug 2012
rinneganfire4u said:
Sometimes Mikleo seems like a powerless sidekick not a Seraphim, in the previous ep too, his involvement was negligible.

He expressed those exact frustrations around this point in the game, then got over it.
Aug 1, 2016 3:50 AM

Jan 2015
I don't get some people's expectations here. You got the taste of action (and pace was rather fast) and now you just want action without a break? Nothing in this episode was dragged out or pointless really, it's pretty fast as it is.
There were interesting character interactions, world building, action scene, great ost and great atmosphere, what more can one ask?
Yet still some people complain for it being slow? Crazy.
Aug 1, 2016 5:01 AM

Jul 2016
I'm liking this series so far, but damn. I'm starting to wonder if this show is going to break a record for how many times it's going to mention "malevolence" and "calamity" one series. It also serves as a high difficulty drinking game that'll surely get you shitfaced.

I think it's become apparent, with an educated guess, that this show is really influenced by RPG games. It's not really something you can ignore. But I guess it's fine, considering that the pacing moves along nicely and things happen quickly enough that dull moments are thankfully short.

Interested in seeing where this is going.
Aug 1, 2016 5:26 AM

Oct 2015
Well, felt so fast watching this episode and it's over with the cliffhanger, I need more :D
O_O
Aug 1, 2016 5:50 AM

Aug 2010
Samhiuy said:
astroprogs said:

Oh, you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that they shouldn't have split the cours, i was saying that there shouldn't have been 2 cours in the first place. The story doesn't seem complicated enough to warrant 25 episodes. 13 seem to be enough, from the material covered so far.

Also, as a side note, God Eater wasn't delayed to "improves the qulity" like they claimed. It's a scheduling issue getting too out of hand.
Aug 1, 2016 6:36 AM

May 2015
Damn that cliffhanger :( Next episode gonna be good ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 1, 2016 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
astroprogs said:
Samhiuy said:

Oh, you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that they shouldn't have split the cours, i was saying that there shouldn't have been 2 cours in the first place. The story doesn't seem complicated enough to warrant 25 episodes. 13 seem to be enough, from the material covered so far.

On a Tales series? Are you high?
Aug 1, 2016 6:49 AM

Aug 2010
BRB-kun said:
astroprogs said:

I haven't played any of the games, as i said before, i'm just judging the content i'm seeing from this adaptation. Four whole episodes are way too much runtime just to get what little we got so far IMO.
Aug 1, 2016 6:52 AM

Jul 2016
12 episodes would leave EVERYONE unsatisfied.

There's no way you can compress a Tales game into 12 episodes without rushing the hell out of it. 12 episodes = barely any time for character development. No character development = defeats the whole purpose of a Tales game.

They are already skipping things (not that important).

Aug 1, 2016 6:54 AM

Jun 2015
astroprogs said:
BRB-kun said:

I haven't played any of the games, as i said before, i'm just judging the content i'm seeing from this adaptation. Four whole episodes are way too much runtime just to get what little we got so far IMO.

Well there are a bunch of Tales adaptations and all of them had more than 1 cour length for complete adaptations. This runs on the same vein.
Aug 1, 2016 7:08 AM
May 2015
Oh shit...the storm is back and that was an epic episode, as always..

Oh Lailah....you're making it very hard for me to choose a best girl. I want Alisha to be best girl because she's a cute and badass princess but I also think Lailah is best girl because of her personality and she's hilarious when she shows up in "next episode preview". That "lalala" of hers fucking killed me. The competition is going to be even harder once Rose or Edna shows up.

Speaking of previews, I have a feeling the next episode is when Velvet (MC of Tales of Berseria) will show up and I wouldn't be surprised if she's the Lord of Calamity.

5/5 Would want to see Lailah again next week but I don't see that happening for like the next 2 weeks.
jc9622Aug 1, 2016 7:29 AM

Aug 1, 2016 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
FrozenSheep said:

There's no way you can compress a Tales game into 12 episodes without rushing the hell out of it. 12 episodes = barely any time for character development. No character development = defeats the whole purpose of a Tales game.

The focus being more on the characters and less on the overarching story is something i'd have never guessed from seeing those four episodes. I see less interesting character interactions and more on the humans and Seraphim relationship, the big bad evil, the corrupted government and the power struggle.

However, if the characters and their interctions will get more interesting to watch as the show goes on, then sure. On the merit of the story itself so far though, there's very little being stretched a bit too much.
Aug 1, 2016 7:27 AM
May 2015
Emirius said:
Lol to people saying the episodes are slow paced. Have you ever played a tales game? The reason why other Tales anime pretty much fail is because they are streamlined and rushed. This epside had Worldbulding and I think the plot is kicking in when they introduce Velvet Crowe

Yea, I don't get it either. These guys are complaining about how most A-1 Pictures anime are fast paced and now that they got a slow paced anime, they still complain.

I also don't get how the storyline is confusing. I mean, if they've been paying attention for like the past 2-3 episodes, they wouldn't be confused as fuck. I can't believe that someone, at this point of the series, is still asking what a malevolence is.

Aug 1, 2016 7:33 AM

Jul 2015
Ohh, looks like Tales of Berseria for episode 5 and 6!

+Hype please? :>

Aug 1, 2016 7:55 AM

Aug 2011
jc9622 said:
Emirius said:

Yea, I don't get it either. These guys are complaining about how most A-1 Pictures anime are fast paced and now that they got a slow paced anime, they still complain.

I also don't get how the storyline is confusing. I mean, if they've been paying attention for like the past 2-3 episodes, they wouldn't be confused as fuck. I can't believe that someone, at this point of the series, is still asking what a malevolence is.

Wasn't malevolence explained already? Why would people find it confusing? I'm sure the people not paying attention will eventually get it, they say "malevolence" a lot. The confused people probably got bored and stared at their phone screens for a majority of the episode.
Aug 1, 2016 7:58 AM

Jul 2016
Xarvyn said:
jc9622 said:

Wasn't malevolence explained already? Why would people find it confusing? I'm sure the people not paying attention will eventually get it, they say "malevolence" a lot. The confused people probably got bored and stared at their phone screens for a majority of the episode.

People are confused? That's news to me. I figured that malevolence is a pretty basic concept, unless the people watching this show do not know how to pronounce words with more than two syllables.
Aug 1, 2016 8:03 AM
May 2015
Xarvyn said:
jc9622 said:

Well, slow pacing does = boredome to some people so go figure.. They're probably just watching the show for the action scenes.

Aug 1, 2016 8:08 AM

Apr 2010
astroprogs said:
FrozenSheep said:

The focus being more on the characters and less on the overarching story is something i'd have never guessed from seeing those four episodes. I see less interesting character interactions and more on the humans and Seraphim relationship, the big bad evil, the corrupted government and the power struggle.

However, if the characters and their interctions will get more interesting to watch as the show goes on, then sure. On the merit of the story itself so far though, there's very little being stretched a bit too much.

This is actually progressing faster than the game. The interactions will most likely get better when more of the crew joins, but Zestiria isn't considered the weakest of the Tales series for no reason.
Aug 1, 2016 9:22 AM

Aug 2010
antonn said:

This is actually progressing faster than the game. The interactions will most likely get better when more of the crew joins, but Zestiria isn't considered the weakest of the Tales series for no reason.

The story is indeed not all that interesting, so i'm hoping that it offers more than just what we've seen so far.
Aug 1, 2016 11:00 AM
Apr 2016
Awesome episode. Can't wait to see what's up with that big storm... I hate cliffhangers. xD I think they're overdoing the CGI a little bit, it's great for all the action scenes but the whole city being CGI? Ehhh... Well, they clearly have a massive budget, so why not. I'd much rather have that than crappy animation.
Aug 1, 2016 11:08 AM

Aug 2014
I thought Zestiria was a great fucking game. I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish. Why are some people saying the anime isn't absolutely fucking gorgeous? Everything in it looks amazing.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Aug 1, 2016 11:41 AM

Feb 2015
rinneganfire4u said:

Sometimes Mikleo seems like a powerless sidekick not a Seraphim, in the previous ep too, his involvement was negligible.

This will get explained soon. He doesn't have a contract with Sorey at the moment, so he is much weaker than Lailah in terms of Seraphic capabilities. As of now, he is simply his friend who happens to be a Seraphim, so he is unable to purify hellion's using the Shepard's power like Lailah can, hence why he seems useless- because he is at the moment.
He
He gets much stronger after this point.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2014

Mikleo is so cute. I'm in love.
Aug 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2009
Great episode, loved how it adapted some of the best parts from the game like Sorey trying to introduce Mikleo to Alisha and the communication part. Excited for the Tales of Berseria content over the next 2 weeks since I don't get to play the game until next year >;/ Also looking forward to the return to the present day since Edna (My favorite character) should be introduced soon.
Aug 1, 2016 12:48 PM
Jan 2015
Mr_Levitate said:
I think it's become apparent, with an educated guess, that this show is really influenced by RPG games.

Well, it IS based off the game so there's that.

The pacing is fine. It is based off the game afterall so expect some more lore, information, and twists to span into the 2nd cour.

If it was only 1 cour, there would be no time at all to include the rest of the story. There'd be major cuts from it to fit the rest into the anime which will definitely cause more confusion and questions. The story may be simplistic and straightforward, but there's a lot that happens in between that cannot be condensed into 1 cour.

It was a great episode and I love where the story is going in the anime. The originality will hopefully remedy the game's weak points of the story and solve some of the questions many had when playing the game.
Aug 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Sep 2013
CC9ers said:

This will get explained soon. He doesn't have a contract with Sorey at the moment, so he is much weaker than Lailah in terms of Seraphic capabilities. As of now, he is simply his friend who happens to be a Seraphim, so he is unable to purify hellion's using the Shepard's power like Lailah can, hence why he seems useless- because he is at the moment.

But aren't Seraphims supposedly stronger than normal humans, still Sorey inflicted damage to creepy Hellion guy in Elysia whereas Mikleo was easily dodged. Is sorey stronger than average Seraphs????
Aug 1, 2016 1:33 PM

Jul 2016
rinneganfire4u said:
CC9ers said:

But aren't Seraphims supposedly stronger than normal humans, still Sorey inflicted damage to creepy Hellion guy in Elysia whereas Mikleo was easily dodged. Is sorey stronger than average Seraphs????

Seraphs are stronger than humans (have you seen Gramps make that epic jump?). Every Seraph is able to use Magics unlike humans.

Sorey became the Shepherd. He has the ability to purify hellions (aka returning them to their original form). Mikleo is merely a normal Seraph. Normal Seraph cannot purify hellions (saving them).

Gramps is ranked very high as a Seraph. Mikleo is a young Seraph. He still has a lot to learn and can still improve a lot. Gramps (obviously very old...) is past his prime time, but he has had many more years than Mikleo to become strong.

Aug 1, 2016 1:59 PM

Aug 2011
CC9ers said:
rinneganfire4u said:

He
He gets much stronger after this point.

Lol in terms of story
but I used the armatization (which is op af when you think about it) for pretty much every fight, even the ones where the enemies were weak against the element. It made things less difficult.
Aug 1, 2016 2:48 PM

Feb 2015
Xarvyn said:

Lol in terms of story
but I used the armatization (which is op af when you think about it) for pretty much every fight, even the ones where the enemies were weak against the element. It made things less difficult.

Well, yeah. I was referring to Mikleo being much stronger than he currently is- not stronger than Lailah. Sorry if it came across that way.

rinneganfire4u said:

Sorey didn't really damage the guy though. He hit him, sure. But did he actually have any visible damage when he got up? Not really.

As for the "average Seraphs" comparison part of it, who knows how strong the average Seraph is really. But in terms of Sorey being the Shepherd, he is capable of purifying Hellions whereas the "average" Seraphim cannot purify them, so he is the advantage in that regard yes.
Aug 1, 2016 6:30 PM

Aug 2011
Veldin461 said:

If it wasn't for the forums I would've never guessed they changed Lailah's VA xD

'Changed' is not really the verb I'd use, the previous seiyuu (Matsuki Miyu, who you might remember as Anna from Shimoneta... yes, THAT Anna) passed away in 2015, reason why they had no option that pick someone else.

I do miss the original voice but Noriko Shitaya is doing a great job.

» Escapism.

Aug 2, 2016 7:38 AM

Sep 2013
Pretty good episode. The beginning of the episode dragged on and when they finally made it to the ruins, half the episode had already passed by. The pacing in this, for me, has been sluggish with the exception of the previous episode. The 2nd half of this episode definitely made up for it.

Alisha's reaction to hearing the Seraphim pales in comparison when

Aug 2, 2016 12:31 PM

Apr 2012

I'm surprised Mikleo, Sorey's supposed "liability" didn't waiting back at the inn. He and Sorey continue being best buddies in this anime lol.
Visit my blog site for my own impressions about anime & other things: http://infonochikara.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/kaoru_kajiura
Subscribe on YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/KaoruKajiura
Aug 2, 2016 12:37 PM

Jul 2016
We don't have time for forced drama.

Game-wise, it made sense since Mikleo couldn't be in your party at that time. Anime-wise, it is certainly not required. Just like Mason's death, it was not needed to move the story forward.

It doesn't mean that they won't have drama elsewhere.

Aug 2, 2016 12:47 PM
Sep 2015
The series keeps getting better each week and boy is shit is about to go down..oh oh! Brace yourselves for the Calamity wind

I REALLLLY hate Lunarre with a passion. Like he seriously looks like one of those botched freaks that had a lot of horrible work done to their face. I can't see anyone favouriting the circus freak.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

220 by bushman66 »»
Nov 22, 2023 11:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.