Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2016 12:28 PM

Jul 2014
Not angry because I found it, but angry because it was so hidden/ unknown and it took literally a random whim to try it. And it's the second time this has happened, the first time was with Koi Kaze and now Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.

The latter is the best thing I saw all year, so looking at its MAL page and it has a 7.29 score and only 27k community members makes me just... Furious, you know? Not angry because "lol MAL shit taste" or anything, but angry because it makes me realize there are TONS of great anime I'm probably missing because nobody are talking about them/ rating them highly enough to be noticeable.

Question time: Have you ever watched an anime you knew nothing about on a whim, and it got into your top 20%? And if yes, did the fact that you never heard about it make you worry about all the other amazing anime you might be missing because nobody are talking about them?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 27, 2016 12:34 PM

Jan 2012
Yes, I remember back when I watched dubbed anime only, it was hard enough to find anime in English back then because there were only a select few sites that would have links to them. So I used youtube and .. Vizeo? Vimeo? I can't remember the site's name, anyway I used those two main ones to watch anime back then. There was a group who had uploaded anime under secret names on youtube as to not get flagged by those who would want to take them down, and one guy had this one series uploaded called Shakugan no Shana, I watched it and instantly fell in love with it. It's easily one of my top series even now.
Apr 27, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
Never happened to me
If you can enjoy unpopular anime then you should give a try to all of them
Apr 27, 2016 12:42 PM

Jul 2014
tragedydesu said:
Never happened to me

That more often leads to burns than good times though. I've watched maybe 150 anime I dug deeeeeeep for or picked randomly myself, and only found a lot of mediocrity, some outright insulting, and a few gems. And two huge favourites in Kokoro Connect and Nichijou.
Apr 27, 2016 12:46 PM

Mar 2015
House of five leaves. Though It's a hipster anime that can only appeal to a niche audience but it's one of the best take on the historical genre.

It's somewhat underrated.

Not really, even without other people's suggestion I used to spend lots of time trying to find something good but good anime are rare and most anime are shit.
Apr 27, 2016 12:47 PM

Feb 2010
Imagine how I feel when I watch some great series or movie from the 70s or 80s that has 200-500 members instead of 27k. If I got furious every time I'd get a heart attack sooner rather than later.

Personally it just makes me optimistic that for years to come I'll still have gems to watch and discover while others quit the medium with less than 100 completed because they couldn't be bothered to look at anything outside the top 200 and the newest season.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 27, 2016 12:47 PM

May 2015
I find those all the time. And I'm not worried about it because I like to be surprised. That's how you find hidden gems. ^_^
Apr 27, 2016 12:50 PM

Oct 2014
Yama no Susume, Shigofumi, and Taisho Yakyuu Musume are some good examples. A lot of the anime I watch I found out about through random sources. I've found out about anime through gifs and random Google searches that have been really great. I found out about Ore Twintails by searching up the word "twintails" on google. It's now one of my favourite anime. You know that "90% of everything is shit" thing? Well when taking "X% of everything is shit" into account, X will stay relatively uniform for the top 20% of anything by popularity. Even some anime with fewer than 10k members are actually better than anime in the top 100 most popular, especially when considering that School Days is in the top 100 (sometimes, anyway).
Apr 27, 2016 12:50 PM
Dec 2014
best way to select anime is not score and popularity.

It is going by recommendations. If there are anime you liked in them, chance is high that you will like the new one too.
Apr 27, 2016 12:56 PM

Jul 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
tragedydesu said:
Never happened to me

That more often leads to burns than good times though. I've watched maybe 150 anime I dug deeeeeeep for or picked randomly myself, and only found a lot of mediocrity, some outright insulting, and a few gems. And two huge favourites in Kokoro Connect and Nichijou.

i think nichijou and Kokoro Connect are popular enough
but the anime you mentioned is really unpopular and have low score by mal standards
so if you think is great then is really a hidden gem for you
Apr 27, 2016 12:59 PM

Feb 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
The latter is the best thing I saw all year, so looking at its MAL page and it has a 7.29 score and only 27k community members makes me just... Furious, you know? Not angry because "lol MAL shit taste" or anything, but angry because it makes me realize there are TONS of great anime I'm probably missing because nobody are talking about them/ rating them highly enough to be noticeable.

The solution is obv to search for anime not based on people talking about them, popularity, or rating.. such as tvtropes, creator(studio, mangaka, director,..) and seasonal charts

Red_Tuesday said:
Question time: Have you ever watched an anime you knew nothing about on a whim, and it got into your top 20%? And if yes, did the fact that you never heard about it make you worry about all the other amazing anime you might be missing because nobody are talking about them?
Depends on what do you mean by 'nothing'. I always know the name of the anime, and most of the times the poster too... and maybe synopsis.. so i guess the asnwer is no. But if you mean just those (maybe not synopsis), and not the popular opinion, then there are tons. Also, most of the seasonals i pick are based on name/poster/synopsis, rather than people talking about them.

To list my 10s i started with knowing just the name, then i have Chocotto Sister (most interesting name i did not knew from the list of 2006 anime), We Without Wings (another one with interesting name, don't recall where i saw it first), and Piano (doing random searches on animeadvice and this one's name seemed deceptively simple). I'd have even more if i counted interesting synopsises, familiar authors, or 9's, but these were the one i rated highest in which i went most blindly.
Apr 27, 2016 12:59 PM

Mar 2015
I am angry because...

Nah., I am not angry. Probably before, but not anymore. I am smart enough to choose anime that fit my taste right now.
EsperApr 27, 2016 1:06 PM
This salad is salty favored
Apr 27, 2016 1:01 PM

Mar 2016
I get angry because of this too. Reason is that I believe producers should get credit for producing such masterpieces so they can carry on the good work but if they remain unpopular I don't feel good about it.
Apr 27, 2016 1:05 PM

May 2010
Oh my god, I felt the exact same way about Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. It's one of my all time favourites, and I try to recommend it to people whenever I get the chance. I'm so upset that not many people have seen it.

(Psst, if you liked Inari Konkon, you should give Gingitsune a try)
Apr 27, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
I feel like Chobits is underrated
But I'm not angry about it
Apr 27, 2016 1:14 PM

Jun 2015
No, I feel lucky. I could possibly find some other hidden gems at random. Nothing for me to get angry about.
Apr 27, 2016 1:19 PM

Feb 2013
It has happened to me a lot, in my case, I dont get angry but happy for finding a great anime that I can enjoy.

Apr 27, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2016
Koi kaze is disturbing. Not because of the topic of incest, but because for some reason they decided to make the male a fully grown man with a beard and the female to look like a middle school girl. It is that pedophilia that made me drop it.

And to answer your question, Itazura Na kiss. It pisses me off that it is ranked so low. That show is my second favorite romance anime of all time.
Apr 27, 2016 1:48 PM
Aug 2015
mouvite said:
Yes, I think I experienced this some time ago. I accidentally came across an anime I've never heard of before - Ookiku Furikabutte - and I saw it had a pretty high score. It really suprised me because it's rated >8 and I had no clue about it's existence. I was pretty sure that I checked MAL top 500 list many times and I still somehow missed it, also I never saw a review of it in "Latest Anime Reviews " section, never saw it being mentioned in recommendations, yt videos, anywhere. It was the first time I saw this title. It was rated by less than 20k members, so it's pretty unpopular. I watched it and it was great. I know that there are many other hidden gems, but I'm probably going to miss most of them because they are often rated low, and I don't trust series with a rating lower than 7.5 and I rarely watch them.
Dude, there are so many awsome anime rated less than 7.5. don't limit yourself to score, you'll miss some good shit. Mal rating is fucked anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 1:52 PM

Dec 2015
i watched this anime called Ace wo Nerae
it's an old Madhouse anime (the first season coming out in 1973-74) about tennis and here on mal only 3,302 people have seen it

i laughed at how old it was and how cheesy some things were in the beginning but after a while i just got used to it and watched it for what it really was and I really enjoyed it a lot
i can't find the second season besides the first 2 episodes ANYWHERE and i'm still sad about that
Apr 27, 2016 1:53 PM
Aug 2015
Kyoma87 said:
Koi kaze is disturbing. Not because of the topic of incest, but because for some reason they decided to make the male a fully grown man with a beard and the female to look like a middle school girl. It is that pedophilia that made me drop it.

And to answer your question, Itazura Na kiss. It pisses me off that it is ranked so low. That show is my second favorite romance anime of all time.
I know right, i went and checked it out a few minutes ago. I got to the first scene and saw some scruffy old dude looking lovingly at a loli whom i know to be his sister and the only thing i could think was, eeeeh, what, eeeeeeeeeeeh NANI? NANDA KORE WA? then i promtly clicked the red x in the right corner of the browser.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 1:56 PM

Feb 2010
TarDonkie said:
it's an old Madhouse anime (the first season coming out in 1973-74) about tennis and here on mal only 3,302 people have seen it

i laughed at how old it was and how cheesy some things were in the beginning but after a while i just got used to it and watched it for what it really was and I really enjoyed it a lot
i can't find the second season besides the first 2 episodes ANYWHERE and i'm still sad about that

Well, at least someone has started subbing the second season, a while ago there weren't even 2 episodes out. But yeah, the lack of subs for the sequel is why I'm still waiting to watch that show. Most of the other Dezaki stuff from the 70s is fully subbed by now.
Apr 27, 2016 2:01 PM

Dec 2015
It hasn't happened to me yet and I'm pretty sure it will, but the opposite has, I have seen many "great" anime which in my opinion were overrated and totally shit, and I dont know what to think, the world has gone nuts or am I an idiot for not liking them?
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 27, 2016 2:02 PM

Dec 2015
Pullman said:
TarDonkie said:

Well, at least someone has started subbing the second season, a while ago there weren't even 2 episodes out. But yeah, the lack of subs for the sequel is why I'm still waiting to watch that show. Most of the other Dezaki stuff from the 70s is fully subbed by now.
yeah, the last update was around january this year I think
Apr 27, 2016 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
instead i'm happy if it's hidden, so that it will decrease the hater

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun is a hidden gem to me that even i want to buy the manga in japanese language version and To aru Majutsu no Index in japanese language (there is no english translation) even tho i don't really know japanese language and that makes me want to learn japanese language.
Apr 27, 2016 2:09 PM
Apr 2016
Since I'm pretty new to anime, I haven't really seen much unpopular anime, but I'd like to. Who knows what good stuff is out there ans not being talked about?
Apr 27, 2016 2:10 PM

Feb 2014
Kyoma87 said:

Really? I'm sold, thanks for the "recomendation".
Apr 27, 2016 2:20 PM

Feb 2010
cherryblossom519 said:
Since I'm pretty new to anime, I haven't really seen much unpopular anime, but I'd like to. Who knows what good stuff is out there ans not being talked about?

How about http://myanimelist.net/anime/2029/Sirius_no_Densetsu
Apr 27, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
Not angry because I found it, but angry because it was so hidden/ unknown and it took literally a random whim to try it. And it's the second time this has happened, the first time was with Koi Kaze and now Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. [/i]

The Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha anime is pretty decent and probably compared to some other anime a little underrated but i think it is still okay. After i completed the anime, i started reading the manga and it's great, also better than the anime. (don't wanna say the anime is bad) But still, i am surprised, that i can't really find any fanart regarding that one. Also can't understand why i never heard of it when it is pretty good.

Now to your question:
Can't think of any at the moment but still, i wouldn't get angry, just happy to find a gem for myself.
I like anime, games and music.
Apr 27, 2016 5:42 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah, some of the things I've watched completely blind have blown me away. I don't get angry about finding such buried treasure though.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 27, 2016 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Zegapain, really great mecha romance series.
Apr 27, 2016 5:57 PM

May 2014
I feel this less like anime and more with manga. There are so many cool mangas I've found that have only been translated to the 3rd chapter because the scanlation team dropped it because not enough people were getting into it. I cri
Apr 27, 2016 6:16 PM

Apr 2014
Punkero said:
Kyoma87 said:

Really? I'm sold, thanks for the "recomendation".

That's the spirit!!!

OT: I love watching hole in the wall anime. The problem is that since they're hole in the wall anime, it takes me a while to just realize they exist. There's probably tons of great anime out there I'll never see just because I haven't come across them yet.
Apr 27, 2016 6:16 PM
Mar 2016
What a coincidence, I am literally watching Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha right now. I mean literally "literally" not metaphorically, I have it open as I am typing. I'm on episode 5. I found it randomly, too.

As of episode 5, it's not super great but its good. I would say that its nice if you like sweet, shoujo anime but not exciting or funny. I personally prefer shoujo that is either fantasy or funnier than Inari.

Pros:
- simple but good concept
- likeable characters
- sweet romance
- decent animation

Cons:
- very ordinary (I tend to not like slice of life)
- no action to speak of
- character designs very bland

Overall: (as of episode 5) watchable and enjoyable, but doesn't have that extra oomph I look for in anime, it has not made my heart beat fast or cry/laugh yet.
Apr 27, 2016 7:05 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Um, I think that the only anime I've watched without knowing nothing about it (not counting stuff when I was just starting) is Book of Bantorra. That was amazing, but I felt more lucky than angry. At this point I'm used to looking for anime myself instead of going off from what people are talking about, because 90% of anime are either not talked about or, if they were at some point, quickly forgotten.
Apr 27, 2016 7:09 PM

May 2015
no because Ive pretty much seen or at least heard of everything thats amazing out there
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 27, 2016 7:12 PM

Jun 2015
But unpopular anime aren't good anime.
Apr 27, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2015
Nope, I'm a newfag and a filthy casual so I'm probably not even gonna try any such shows.
At least not for now.

However I am glad that I watched WataMote..
Apr 27, 2016 7:17 PM

Mar 2016
Yes, White Album 2.

Literally found it by scrolling through Crunchyroll and randomly selecting a show to watch. One of the best series I've ever seen, both in the high-school genre and the romance genre, if you ask me. Also the most well-executed love triangle I've seen in an anime.

EDIT: And yes, finding series like that makes me worry that there are a lot of undiscovered gems that I've never even heard of. But I just trust that if I keep doing good research when I go to find a new show to watch, I'll eventually find most of them.
Apr 27, 2016 7:24 PM

Apr 2015
Even though it's mean score is 7.29 that doesn't mean it can't be anyone's favourite, all that means is that it's one of the favourite anime of less people in comparison to shows that are rated 9.00.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 27, 2016 10:12 PM
Oct 2014
Angry because you found an underrated show? Aren't we being a little "glass is half empty" here?

I'm more a "half full" kind of guy, so I see it like this: once you've watched all the popular shows, you don't have to worry about coming to a point where there's nothing left that would entertain you. There are still hidden gems waiting to be found.
Apr 27, 2016 10:50 PM

Oct 2015
I agree, I was searching through supernatural anime (because it's one of my favorite genres) and came across Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha and the description sounded interesting and cover art looked nice and I love Foxes/Kitsunes so I decided to give it a try.

Now it's one of my favorite animes and I finished it in 3 days (I probably would have finished it in one day but I had school so I didn't have the time to.)

I like to look through each genre that I like every once in a while to see if there's any really underrated shows that I might like.

There's also a anime I like a lot called "Shinreigari: Ghost Hound" which is also really underrated.

I think "Gingitsune" might be similar to Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Apr 27, 2016 10:52 PM

Oct 2009
You're right OP, but what makes me more sad than angry is because I missed that opportunity to talk with other people watching it the moment it was aired. If the series is obscure or old it means you'll probably would never be able to discuss it with anyone anymore.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 27, 2016 10:55 PM

Jun 2015
Pfff. That's nothing new. Reason why these types of shows are underrated is because a majority of the watchers are extremely casual that revolves around 3-4 genres. There is nothing to be angry about that. You just have to live with it.

Looking at other people's list is mostly a better way to search for good shows imo.
Apr 27, 2016 10:58 PM

Mar 2008
azzuRe said:
You're right OP, but what makes me more sad than angry is because I missed that opportunity to talk with other people watching it the moment it was aired. If the series is obscure or old it means you'll probably would never be able to discuss it with anyone anymore.

Now that we've got notifications, your chances are probably a little better now.
Apr 27, 2016 10:59 PM

Jun 2015
MattKitsune96 said:
I agree, I was searching through supernatural anime (because it's one of my favorite genres) and came across Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha and the description sounded interesting and cover art looked nice and I love Foxes/Kitsunes so I decided to give it a try.

Now it's one of my favorite animes and I finished it in 3 days (I probably would have finished it in one day but I had school so I didn't have the time to.)

I like to look through each genre that I like every once in a while to see if there's any really underrated shows that I might like.

There's also a anime I like a lot called "Shinreigari: Ghost Hound" which is also really underrated.

I think "Gingitsune" might be similar to Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Gingitsune is kinda closer to Natsume Yuujinchou whereas Inari Konkon is kinda close to Hotarubi no Mori e/ KamisamaHajimemashita.
Apr 27, 2016 11:04 PM

Oct 2015
BeBackinaSec said:
MattKitsune96 said:

Gingitsune is kinda closer to Natsume Yuujinchou whereas Inari Konkon is kinda close to Hotarubi no Mori e/ KamisamaHajimemashita.

Okay thanks, I've been planning to watch Natsume Yuujinchou sometime to, Hotarubi no Mori e is great as well.

I will probably watch Kamisama Hajimemashita sometime to.
MattKitsune96Apr 27, 2016 11:11 PM
Apr 27, 2016 11:09 PM
May 2015
Inari Konkon was very enjoyable for me. Think i found it on a random google search for supernatural romances. rec def didnt come from MAL. the MC is a little too childish but the fox goddess and MC's brother were both awesome characters. If the show just focused on them it would have been so good.
Apr 28, 2016 12:10 AM

Apr 2010
I tend to find amines no one heard about.

Apr 28, 2016 12:37 AM

Jul 2013
I have watched some unknown animes out of curiosity, but I never get angry because people didn't watch them enough. That's too hotblooded for me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 27 minutes ago

12 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
14 seconds ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 11 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

65 by -YaoiBoy- »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.