Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 10, 2013 2:38 PM

Aug 2012
I didn't score this one..hm, i remember that there were some cool parts, but it didn't satisfy me, specially towards the end.
Jul 11, 2013 10:59 AM

Sep 2009
Pretty good movie! But thee's no epic fight in this. But its really dark and disturbing. I feel like vomitting now..shit.
Aug 27, 2013 12:48 AM
Aug 2011
Holy crap What. The. Hell.

I've just spent a day marathoning these older OP movies and the one with the most childish looking box art turns out to the this.
How incredibly misleading. It should be a crime how misleading this is.

Yeah the art is different but actually that makes it more fitting and did you guys not see some of those backgrounds especially in the beginning were gorgeous.

Some scenes were highly memorable, like the scenes with the billion arrows, the lumps of flesh on the flower that started morphing into the crew, Luffy stumbling around with his eyes glazed over...just to name a few.

Amazing experience this is definitely something that I will remember for a long time.
Thank you OP, idk how I will sleep tonight.

Edit: Edited out spoilers.
standDec 16, 2018 7:26 PM
Oct 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
The art sucked and strawhats were out of character,

However... The dark and depressing story was great. Probably some of the darkest stuff in One Piece, if the art and characters were done correctly this movie would have been amazing.
Dec 4, 2013 5:18 PM

Jun 2013
Great movie, Omatsuri was definitely a great villain, i hated him a lot.
Dec 29, 2013 9:35 PM

Jun 2013
I openly admit that when i watched this when i was Younger, This was left in my memory as scariest One Piece Movie ever. When I saw just what Omatsuri's Crew members really were and just what that Flower was doing to Mugiwaras.....I was Hell Scared...

This was Pretty good Movie tough or more likely OK. I think that i change my personal vote 7 or 8, more realistic.
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Mar 15, 2014 10:58 AM

Jun 2012
Xyik said:
Personally, I hated this movie ...

What happened to Luffy? The determined happy guy that would never give up on his crew? I can't imagine Luffy ever acting like that, I pictured him stubbornly refusing to believe his crew to be that weak. The real Luffy would have said 'I'm going to save my nakama! I believe in them! They're strong!'. Instead, he totally got his ass handed to him and pulled a silent emo act on us. Even if his crew seemed hopelessly lost (wait, how would they happen in the first place? the way they lost was completely unrealistic and it made his crew look like idiot weaklings), he wouldn't have given up so easily.

I don't know, I kind of liked the serious factor but IMO it wasn't done well at all ... the characters did not seem like themselves... I understand the direction this movie was trying to take, but it wasn't One Piece for me. One Piece is about the strong bonds between his crew... what happened to that?

The art was very strange too, I'd even say poorly drawn most of the time. A lot of the silent scenes (no bgm music) didn't work for me either. And I guess it didn't help to watch it with shitty subs at 3 in the morning.
Besides the last paragraph this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

And the Baron said chopper will be the first devil fruit user lily has ever eaten but when chopper is about to get eaten it's revealed that lily already ate robin so the baron was wrong.
Mar 21, 2014 9:44 AM

Mar 2008
Beginning was good, the middle and end, not so much.
Mar 21, 2014 11:02 PM

May 2012
Now I haven't seen all of the OP movies(This one makes 4) but this one was probably the worst. The art isn't necessarily bad, it was just wildly different from how I'm used to seeing OP so I wasn't fond of it.

The problem for me really comes down to the characters though. While I like that they took this film in a darker direction than normal, it seemed like they had to compromise the crew to do so. They usually bicker with each other but the only time they genuinely get pissed at each other is over big things. What led to Nami and Sanji being so angry at Usopp and Zorro was too petty imo. Then what really annoyed me was the crew getting taken down like a bunch of jobbers. Usopp and Nami are understandable since this is somewhat early in the series but the others not so much.

This movie was pretty meh to me but it had its good points such as not being predictable(like that random pirate dad saving the day) 6/10
Jul 2, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, this one kicks ass. Out of the first six, this one definitely trumps the rest, even though I'm fond of the 4th. I loved so much of it. The artstyle, animation, and scenery looked great. Some of those music tracks were pure ear candy. I also liked how colorful things were, and the Straw Hats had some great outfits. The plot was actually interesting and this is the first OP movie villain I've given a damn about. Each Straw Hat was up to something, and nobody felt especially shafted. Things got rather dark, disturbing, and downright freaky at the end, and I loved it.

I assumed the Straw Hats acted out of character because of the Baron's influence. Nami's excessive bitchiness (Even for her) was noted by Usopp, and when Muchigoro asked Nami why she wasn't hanging with her pals, she didn't quite know and said they were acting unusual. Nami and Usopps little fight was actually kind of cute... Anyways, the only big OOC moment I recall was Sanji's hostility to a fellow cook out of nothing but pure jealously.

But yeah, 9/10. Plot could've been better, but that was a time thing.
Sep 19, 2014 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
jpem said:
A lot of unjust hate. It is not a master piece by any means, but it is not the abomination you all make it out to be.I'd rather have something a little different like this than the incredibly averageness that is some of the other movies.
Nov 12, 2014 10:39 AM

Jul 2011
Oh man, that was a very interesting movie, it was very good aside from a few points.

1. The "Dark" of the art was a good thing and it was very refreshing, BUT the art was also terribly done in a lot of places. The characters more than often had weird shaped heads and the faces looked unnatural a lot of the time. Also the 3D was garbage, i guess it was 2005 though.. anyways i think they should never do 3D unless it really has been polished over a million times and looks great.

2.My biggest complaint here is the characters personalities, and when i say this everyone who's actually watched one piece definitely understands what i mean here. Not ever unless under the influence of some evil force or whatever would the straw hat pirate crew actually get truly be angry at each other for the reasons they were in this movie, it was completely absurd for the writer to even think of them like that, has he ever watched this show before??

Aside from those two points this movie actually had a unique and very interesting plot imo, they should have just taken a different route with it since this one obviously didn't work.
Jan 13, 2015 8:39 PM

Jun 2012
I see what they were going for here, but it didn't quite come off for me. I think it would be better had they run with this concept for at least a 13 episode arc (possibly longer given OP's notoriously slow pacing).

It was a pretty solid concept, and I certainly don't oppose to OP trying something darker. It's just execution that's an issue here. It felt rushed and occasionally unnatural.
Feb 12, 2015 12:57 AM

Nov 2011
If this movie were standalone (i.e. not One Piece), it may have been good. The atmosphere, tension, and drama were carried out well out of context, but in a One Piece context this goes against everything the story stands for: Ambition, conviction, honor, love, adventure, and the meaning of life and death. It's almost opposite to the primary stories themes, actually, which is what frustrates me about this so much. All of One Piece's strengths lie in its overarching story, both plot-wise and theme-wise, and I felt this movie did a very sloppy job of tying certain ideas into a One Piece context. The challenging philosophy has always been external- It has never been a change in the crew's (as a whole) philosophy that leads to problems. This shatters the consistency and carrying narrative of the primary story. It just doesn't fit.

You can't treat the characterization of the crew as something small in One Piece (well, you "can", but I believe it would be remiss to do so): All of the themes behind the story are heavily tied to the crew and their experiences; changing the crew changes the story behind the story. A world where the Strawhat crew fights and falls apart due to petty squabbles and name-calling is not the same world as One Piece. Where One Piece is optimistic and challenges the viewer to be bigger than the world's problems, in this the problems are portrayed as inevitable and overpowering. It strips the crew of their convictions and reduces their ambition to mere selfishness.

Such grand themes are reduced to nothing for what? For psychological drama? For over-the-top metaphors and borderline horror-story theatrics? And what's worse, the movie is given no point in the end. There is no thematic conclusion to the story here. The Strawhats are completely ideologically defeated with no explanation (not even loldrugs) or point made as a consequence.

It was bad; I daresay worse than the majority of the other movies. I would take clichédom over a thematically diametrically opposed story.

tl;dr: Stop screwing around with One Piece, writers.
May 13, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2011
This movie was pretty boring throughout. I still have a bad taste in my mouth, regarding Nami. She still haven't apology to Usopp.
Jun 23, 2015 3:39 AM
Jun 2015
I remember watching this movie when I was younger and damm did it creep me out back then

Overall pretty bad, not at all like One Piece
I'm all for seriousness (like during Water7/Enies Lobby) but like many have said the Straw Hats were acting out of character here and it was too dark
Sep 18, 2015 11:38 AM

Mar 2015
Ussop wearing a rasta style/jamaican hat? He never wear his usual head gear at the start of movies. Chopper looked so cute when he was eating that green ball thing.

Artwork is strange. CGI on the fish/jungle etc was poor and didnt fit in well.
Oct 17, 2015 10:49 PM
Sep 2007
This is the only item in my entire list that got a 1 rating, it was excruciating to watch the first time.Gave it a 3 that time. Rewatched it now, changed my rating to a 1
Dec 15, 2015 3:05 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Xyik said:

What happened to Luffy? The determined happy guy that would never give up on his crew? I can't imagine Luffy ever acting like that, I pictured him stubbornly refusing to believe his crew to be that weak. The real Luffy would have said 'I'm going to save my nakama! I believe in them! They're strong!'. Instead, he totally got his ass handed to him and pulled a silent emo act on us. Even if his crew seemed hopelessly lost (wait, how would they happen in the first place? the way they lost was completely unrealistic and it made his crew look like idiot weaklings), he wouldn't have given up so easily.

I don't know, I kind of liked the serious factor but IMO it wasn't done well at all ... the characters did not seem like themselves... I understand the direction this movie was trying to take, but it wasn't One Piece for me. One Piece is about the strong bonds between his crew... what happened to that?

The art was very strange too, I'd even say poorly drawn most of the time. A lot of the silent scenes (no bgm music) didn't work for me either. And I guess it didn't help to watch it with shitty subs at 3 in the morning.

this more or less

Jan 27, 2016 8:49 PM

Nov 2014
Most uncomfortable one piece movie out of all of them. (still good though)

Mar 13, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
My favorite of the One Piece movies that I have seen thus far and I liked the change of artstyle the poster is pretty misleading.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2016 3:54 AM
Feb 2016
TripleSRank said:
If this movie were standalone (i.e. not One Piece), it may have been good. The atmosphere, tension, and drama were carried out well out of context, but in a One Piece context this goes against everything the story stands for: Ambition, conviction, honor, love, adventure, and the meaning of life and death. It's almost opposite to the primary stories themes, actually, which is what frustrates me about this so much. All of One Piece's strengths lie in its overarching story, both plot-wise and theme-wise, and I felt this movie did a very sloppy job of tying certain ideas into a One Piece context. The challenging philosophy has always been external- It has never been a change in the crew's (as a whole) philosophy that leads to problems. This shatters the consistency and carrying narrative of the primary story. It just doesn't fit.

You can't treat the characterization of the crew as something small in One Piece (well, you "can", but I believe it would be remiss to do so): All of the themes behind the story are heavily tied to the crew and their experiences; changing the crew changes the story behind the story. A world where the Strawhat crew fights and falls apart due to petty squabbles and name-calling is not the same world as One Piece. Where One Piece is optimistic and challenges the viewer to be bigger than the world's problems, in this the problems are portrayed as inevitable and overpowering. It strips the crew of their convictions and reduces their ambition to mere selfishness.

Such grand themes are reduced to nothing for what? For psychological drama? For over-the-top metaphors and borderline horror-story theatrics? And what's worse, the movie is given no point in the end. There is no thematic conclusion to the story here. The Strawhats are completely ideologically defeated with no explanation (not even loldrugs) or point made as a consequence.

It was bad; I daresay worse than the majority of the other movies. I would take clichédom over a thematically diametrically opposed story.

tl;dr: Stop screwing around with One Piece, writers.

Xyik said:

Man I couldn't disagree possibly more with the naysayers and their complaints towards the movie. Luffy out of character? The straw hats would never fight? Have you people actually watched One Piece? This film practically foreshadowed the scene where Luffy has a complete melt down after watching each one of his crew get one shotted by Kuma in Saobody. Hell, I'm actually convinced Oda stole the entirety of the scene where Luffy falls apart as he watches his crew slowly get abosrbed by the plant. Not to mention the anime series even straight up rips off visual and stylistic touches from this movie (e.g. Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon is blatantly ripping off Luffy's final confrontation with the Baron)

The bonds of one's nakama and the pain and sorrow from losing them is a theme that is constant throughout the series. From the scene I mentioned earlier in Saobady, to Squaird and Moira watching their crew get completely wiped out, to Luffy having a complete melt down after Ace died, with only the memory of his crew giving him enough hope and determination to carry on-this film absolutely nails the point that Luffy is absolutely nothing without his friends and crew. It's why the baron curb stumped him the first time when he was by himself and failed the second time when he was supported by the family and that mustauche dude.

The crew would never fight and have inner conflict? Have you people actually watched Water 7? A major conflict within that arc is between the fallout of Luffy and Usop, and Robin abandoning them. It made it an emotional rollercoaster of a ride and arguably one of the best arcs in the series. That internal strife of that arc is absolutely reflected in the atmosphere, themes and villain of this movie, who gains his strenth from turning crew mates against one another.

Not fateful to the story and themes of One Piece? No my friend-you just don't understand the essence of what makes One Piece great. This film complete nails the number one theme of One Piece-the importance and strength of the bonds between one's nakama and how captain is nothing without them.T his film is both another fantastic contribution from Mamoru Hosoda and one of the best one piece films that nails and is faithful to the core themes of the series like no other. It's no surprise to me that this completely flew over people's heads here since MAL users and shounen tards almost universally have the worst opinions about their favourite shows.
Filthy_BotMar 20, 2016 3:57 AM
Mar 20, 2016 6:22 PM

Nov 2011
Filthy_Bot said:
Man I couldn't disagree possibly more with the naysayers and their complaints towards the movie. Luffy out of character? The straw hats would never fight? Have you people actually watched One Piece? This film practically foreshadowed the scene where Luffy has a complete melt down after watching each one of his crew get one shotted by Kuma in Saobody. Hell, I'm actually convinced Oda stole the entirety of the scene where Luffy falls apart as he watches his crew slowly get abosrbed by the plant. Not to mention the anime series even straight up rips off visual and stylistic touches from this movie (e.g. Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon is blatantly ripping off Luffy's final confrontation with the Baron)

I've roughly watched it twice, so yes. You're misunderstanding the problem though. It's not that the Straw Hats had an internal conflict or that they were defeated; it's why it happened that makes this movie mesh so poorly with the broader One Piece narrative. I explained this in my post, but I'll outline it further below since you provided examples.

Filthy_Bot said:
The bonds of one's nakama and the pain and sorrow from losing them is a theme that is constant throughout the series. From the scene I mentioned earlier in Saobady, to Squaird and Moira watching their crew get completely wiped out, to Luffy having a complete melt down after Ace died, with only the memory of his crew giving him enough hope and determination to carry on-this film absolutely nails the point that Luffy is absolutely nothing without his friends and crew. It's why the baron curb stumped him the first time when he was by himself and failed the second time when he was supported by the family and that mustauche dude.

First of all, it's true that the bonds of nakama are a major theme in One Piece, and the pain of losing them is fairly important as well, but the context here is entirely different from anything in One Piece proper. The entire purpose of the Sabaody to Marineford super-arc was to show that the Straw Hats in general and Luffy in particular were straight-up not strong enough to enforce their ideals, and thus they were not ready to take on the New World. It was never that their ideals were wrong, that their conviction was too weak, or that their camaraderie was superficial. In this movie it is not a difference in power that destroys the Straw Hats, but their own internal conflict, which brings us to the next point.

Filthy_Bot said:
The crew would never fight and have inner conflict? Have you people actually watched Water 7? A major conflict within that arc is between the fallout of Luffy and Usop, and Robin abandoning them. It made it an emotional rollercoaster of a ride and arguably one of the best arcs in the series. That internal strife of that arc is absolutely reflected in the atmosphere, themes and villain of this movie, who gains his strenth from turning crew mates against one another.

Not fateful to the story and themes of One Piece? No my friend-you just don't understand the essence of what makes One Piece great. This film complete nails the number one theme of One Piece-the importance and strength of the bonds between one's nakama and how captain is nothing without them.T his film is both another fantastic contribution from Mamoru Hosoda and one of the best one piece films that nails and is faithful to the core themes of the series like no other. It's no surprise to me that this completely flew over people's heads here since MAL users and shounen tards almost universally have the worst opinions about their favourite shows.

Water Seven never contradicted the Straw Hats ideals as nakama-- in fact, in the end it strengthened them.

Usopp's inferiority complex was an issue that had been developed since the start of the story. He's always been the weakest of the crew, and the Going Merry was in many ways what he considered his "only major contribution" to the crew. For him to lose the money that was supposed to fix the Going Merry and to then be suddenly confronted with the decision to scrap it, it was entirely in-line with his character to finally break down. He then has to go through the process of confronting his denial and inferiority complex through the rest of the arc, largely solving it through the creation of an alter ego, his "ideal self", Sogeking, and eventually seeking reconciliation with his crew by apologizing for his actions.

Note how the context of nakama is treated within this scenario: Before Usopp's breakdown, the Straw Hats still avenged him because he was one of them, and after the breakdown his falling out with Luffy was treated as a very serious matter. The Straw Hats have superficial fights all the time, but they never let superficial fights escalate beyond superficiality (such as in this movie). The conflict with Usopp was integral to his character, and it wasn't something the Straw Hats as a crew treated lightly (very much in contrast to the unsatisfying ending of the movie in which the Straw Hats act like nothing was ever wrong). Seeing that both the degree of relevance to the characters and the seriousness with which the crew treated the falling out was misrepresented, these two examples cannot be equated to one another.

Robin abandoning the crew is even less equatable than the falling out with Usopp because she was actually trying to protect them. Of course, it added to the overall atmosphere of the arc since her past and goals had been left just vague enough for viewers to still potentially doubt her, but that is not what happened in this movie. In this movie, the Straw Hats had a legitimate falling out over petty stuff and they didn't even treat the falling out seriously afterwards, which is frankly ridiculous and entirely opposed to everything One Piece is about.

Yes, Luffy is nothing without his crew and vice versa. This has been shown in One Piece itself many times, and Luffy confessed it himself early on in the Arlong Park arc. However, this movie went about presenting this theme in a way that is entirely contrary to the essence of One Piece and the bonds of nakama. Nakama in the One Piece sense would have never fallen out in the way shown in this movie.

So no, nothing in this movie went over my head and I entirely understand the themes and essence of One Piece, and what makes it such a great story. You're just flinging crap because you apparently can't make a better argument than offering non-equatable counterexamples from One Piece proper, and you're mad(?) that other people are calling the movie out for it.

You're obviously free to disagree anyway, but don't act like nobody else understands the movie or One Piece itself just because your perspective is contrary. I do understand, and I still don't agree with you.
TripleSRankMar 20, 2016 6:25 PM
May 5, 2016 3:45 PM
May 2016
One of my favorite one piece films. while the art style took a few minutes to get used to, the story was great with the idea of luffy actually full on losing his crew and how he would react. a very dark movie but with a interesting story
Jul 17, 2016 8:45 AM

Oct 2015
People are criticising this movie for no real reason. To me, this movie was masterfully done. Much better than ANY other OP movie, because all of them are shounen-shit movies with a happy-go-lucky plot. All of them have an extremely similar story/plot, where Straw Hats face a trouble > They fight battles > Sanji fights mini-boss 2, Zoro fights mini-boss 1, Luffy fights main-boss > The end.

This movie however took a very different approach from the traditional OP movies. This movie was peculiar in a sense that the 'battles' were psychological for the most part. The actual relationships between the straw hats were put to the test, unlike the other movies where there are unrealistic situations of no internal fights ever occurring. I mean c'mon, you mean to say that you've been on a ship with 7-9 other people for 3+ years and had only a single fight between the crew? This movie took a more realistic approach, and did not disappoint at all.

For the art style, the art was very different this time. At first I didn't like it, but then it grew to me. I feel like any other art style for this movie would have ruined the feeling of despair this movie portrays. Amazing directing by Mamoru Hosoda, 10/10 for directing.

And for the movie itself, 8.5/10. One of my favourite OP movies of all time.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 17, 2016 8:47 AM

Oct 2015
stand said:
Holy crap What. The. Hell.

I've just spent a day marathoning these older OP movies and the one with the most childish looking box art turns out to the this.
How incredibly misleading. It should be a crime how misleading this is.
I fucking know right xD

I swear I judged this one from it's cover and expected it to be the worst and most childish one. Never have I been more wrong.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 17, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 2016
This doesn't feel like One Piece at all, not a fan.
Jul 18, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2015
Whoa easily the best of the One Piece movies so far, and I haven't seen the others after it yet but I probably won't change my mind until Z and Strong World according to their ratings here.

It was the really good kind of dark turn for this anime. Finally, we see Luffy get genuinely angry. It bordered on scary with those strange happenings with DJ and Mushi and all. I had goosebumps.

Clear 10/10 best OP Movie so far!! If the anime/manga went in this direction more while I continue to catch up it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 6, 2016 3:28 AM
Mar 2016
I loved this movie! I could say it's my favorite! Seriously! The animation was different but I liked it so much. Very nostalgic I'd say. I like how it started out as usual One Piece with the crew having fun and everything but then everything took dramatical dark turn! At some parts I got serious horror movie vibe. Also I loved the ending song. 10/10 movie for me
Aug 28, 2016 2:31 AM

Sep 2014
The movie is abit dark and gloomy and the art style is also strange. Overall its an ok movie for me
Oct 5, 2016 10:47 PM

Sep 2016
Best One Piece movie, and one of my favorite movies in total. I loved the darker feel, and the antagonist's backstory was good enough to be its own series. Rarely am I so interested in components of One Piece other than poneglyphs and the void century, but this movie really captured my heart. Luffy's grief and the antagonist's grief are portrayed very well here. 10/10
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Mar 1, 2017 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
This was the best movie until now. Not that I was expecting any less from Mamoru fucking Hosoda. The only thing I found off was the whole thing with the Mugiwara separating. I liked where they were going with Nami (Usopp's joke was tasteless as fuck), her hate feels justified, but it is not really solved by the end. Sanji and Zoro's argument just seemed like their usual stuff so I don't get why they were so serious this time either.

By the end, we don't get resolution to any of these conflicts so it feels a little surface-level. It's not like the movie didn't have time (the movie is only 90 min long, it could still go for a few more minutes easily) so really this is all just laziness.

Either way, this was an amazing movie. DJ was really cute too, loved his voice and design.
Mar 29, 2017 1:28 PM

Jan 2015
This feels like a very good movie, just not a One Piece one. The atmosphere in this movie is drastically different from the main series and what you've come to await from anything related to One Piece. It's only emphasized by how dissimilar the graphics and sound design from the main series.
It does make it pretty unique, and something to watch for sure. You can definitely see how much influence the director had on this one if you've seen some of his other works. This movie is of a far better quality and production value than all the previous ones.
However, it didn't feel quite satisfactory in the end. It's hard to explain. The flower's powers felt more like "magic" than anything else. Lots of what happened didn't mesh well with the existing One Piece material, especially in the second half.

I wasn't even unprepared for it, I knew what I was getting into and how different the tone would be, so I don't think my opinion on it would change after a rewatch.
Apr 14, 2017 11:39 AM
Sep 2007
Mamoru Hosoda should direct every single One Piece thing.
Apr 17, 2017 4:21 PM

Feb 2016
A nice twist on the themes of bonds in One Piece and etc. I definitely liked the overall change. Some things disappointed me as I think the movie had 9/10 potential but whatever.

Im thinking that maybe Mamoru Hosoda should direct a thriller/mystery some day cause the atmosphere was really outstanding.
SpaghettiSpikeApr 17, 2017 4:26 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 25, 2017 11:26 AM

Feb 2011
awesome movie, not as dark as i heard of it before watching it

this movie released around the time of the enies lobby arc, but there are parts of it which were way before their time
-like every nakama being "eliminated" to leave only Luffy left despairing (which did later hapen in sabaody)
-and the awesome final punch, which is very similar to the punch to the world noble, again in sabaody

wonder if this movie inspired the manga or the other way around

compared to other movies of one piece this one was a refreshing change

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Oct 2014
Wow this movie has some very contrasting views here.

Personally I thought it was the best movie yet. While the previous movies have been decent, none of them have really stood out as memorable. The fourth movie with Gasparde is the only one I really can remember clearly, and that only started scratching the surface. The others have been mostly forgetable. They all seem like sort of fun side stories, while this is the first movie that really seemed to develop as it went on and left a lasting impression like most of the arcs in One Piece leave you with.

First off, the animation. It's certainly different from the usual One Piece style, and for the most part I didn't really enjoy it. However I do think the ending of the movie was done much better in the style they chose than they could have done with the usual. There are some other notable moments that were nice throughout the film, but I do think this is a weak point of the movie.

The story was a surprise to see from a non-canon movie, but it was a welcome foray into some of the deepest messages in One Piece. It was darker than One Piece usually delves into, and dealt with insecurities in the Straw Hat's bonds, as well showing the despair that Luffy feels when faced with losing his nakama. A great forshadowing to a later canon arc.

The pacing was good, and the movie went from comedy to uneasiness, to the tense atmosphere to the stifling hopelessness near the end of film. It flowed well and nothing felt rushed or too dragged out.

People have pointed out that the crew was acting completely out of character throughout the film. While I agree that they seemed different I interpreted it as something the villian was causing. This was pointed out by Nami during the conversation with the goldfish keeper.

She said that they had never fought like this and didn't really know why because there was no reason to be.

I though that was a clear indication that there was something influencing some minor squabbles we know and love (Sanji vs Zoro, and others bickering) into big insecurities that caused a divide in the crew. This is further evidenced with the villains main depth involving losing nakama. He even relished in the fighting between the family crew, indicating that his goal all along was to get the crew to break their bonds.

A flaw in the movie has to be the abrupt ending. We never really got to see what happened, or an explanation to the behaviour clearly. This seems to be where the big divide in opinions stems from, because without a clear reason for their actions and seemingly lost memories of the events, people have to come up with their own reasons for the crew's actions. A lot of people chalk it up to poor writing, causing the stark contrast in opinions.

Overall 8/10. A different and memorable One Piece experience.
Jun 7, 2017 7:48 PM

May 2014
Wow. One Piece looks like it got the SHAFT treatment- Toei surprised me!! *o*
This was freaking awesome from start to finish, and also very creep & unsettling.

Art and direction were gorgeous and really brought the crew's zany shenanigans to life! I loved every second of this and the comedy was on point too.

Honestly, it was like a bizarre mash-up between the Davy Back Fight arc, Sabaody Archipelago and Skypiea (with the Ordeals)!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2017 1:44 PM

Jan 2014
Fuck, I rewatched this movie after a couple of years, and my god when after the Baron gets defeated by Luffy and starts crying on how he doesn't want to be alone anymore, it made me bawl my eyes out

This should be the number 1 rated One Piece movie tbh

10/10 fucking One Piece man
Sep 23, 2017 11:03 AM
Sep 2017
Those who said that this is a bad/worst movie are pussies. This is the darkest turns One Piece had in the plot (not that its really included in the main plot). And i love it. <3

Sep 23, 2017 11:15 AM
Sep 2017
Strawberrycake48 said:
Wow. One Piece looks like it got the SHAFT treatment- Toei surprised me!! *o*
This was freaking awesome from start to finish, and also very creep & unsettling.

Art and direction were gorgeous and really brought the crew's zany shenanigans to life! I loved every second of this and the comedy was on point too.

Honestly, it was like a bizarre mash-up between the Davy Back Fight arc, Sabaody Archipelago and Skypiea (with the Ordeals)!

Mamoru Hosoda, the one who directed the film, left TOEI Animation after this movie and went to MadHouse, which is a good choice since that's an amazing anime studio. Hosoda most likely doesn't like TOEIs way of doing the animation (since it's so shitty, especially the TV series). TOEI, up to this date, is still fucking up the animation for One Piece TV Series just to milk this popular show. I hate them so much.

Apr 29, 2018 8:46 AM

Nov 2015
Very creative movie and interesting discussions here on the forums. I won't say it is my favourite movie (Z, Strong World en Gold I find better) but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I watched this old movie because I have been watching one One Piece episode/week for quite a while now so I miss sometimes a longer One Piece story episode that is why I decided to watch a movie. The cover of the film is quite misleading, I did not caught my interest but because of things I read on Reddit I gave it a try.

Actually liked the artstyle, reminded me of the earlier days of One Piece. The scene were Luffy is losing his crew resembles the scene where Kuma is destroying the crew, a very powerful scene, was cool to remember it. The Villain was okay, more background would have been usefull and interesting.

Overall a enjoyable, darker, one piece movie 8/10
Aug 9, 2018 9:56 AM

Jun 2016
The striking visuals and animation were great! They reminded me of Masaaki Yuasa. However, that’s about all the praise I’ll give this movie. I hated how they wrote the amazing characters of One Piece to behave out of character and like kindergarteners. I was actually somewhat offended. Around the halfway point I had to put the movie on 2x speed to even finish it.

I’ll start with the nitpicks before the real criticism. They got a letter on the Grand Line about going to this island, but it didn’t explore how they got there at all. How would they get their log pose to point there to begin with? Why would Usopp tell Muchi that he was lying about being the goldfish master? He’s a liar but he makes his lies true. Daisy, who was adorable by the way, randomly had superhuman hearing. It was my prediction that she had Mantra, Aisa style. However, it seems that’s not even the case. She had a plot device power of superhuman hearing to make the plot come together. Stellar writing. Another nitpick is, I understand One Piece itself isn’t super consistent with its technology, yet this island consisted of almost purely massive mechanical amusement park rides and shifting floors and it felt like it wasn’t even a part of the OP universe. We also didn’t get a single shocked reaction upon meeting Chopper, or at least not one I noticed.

Onto the more legitimate criticisms. The amazing Straw Hats acted as if they were kindergarteners! We got scenes like how Zoro and Sanji fought the entire time, something that is alright since it’s plausible and possibly likely and something that’s neat since we rarely see the two alone together. The problem comes from how they hated each other for so long because of it. The two can fight all the time, but they shove that off, they let it go. Here they fought more than ever and ended up acting like little kids who refused to talk to each other anymore. Zoro slept as always, and Sanji came to him and told him that he wouldn’t feed him because he didn’t cheer him on! Sanji knows Zoro sleeps all the time when he’s not acting on some kind of goal, and that goes against his own code of feeding the hungry! Sanji would feed a hungry enemy! Speaking of that scene, we had him jealous over another cook and the praise they were getting. Sanji has never shown jealousy, only anger when a cook has been exposed to have been wasting food or something along those lines. He gets up on stage to make better food than he’ll make. That entire segment made Sanji look like a bitter teen drama queen to Zoro, and a jealous overcompensating kid to that cook.
We also got the Usopp and Nami forced drama. Usopp gets sucked away by the wings and Nami things he’s left her behind. He comes back showing that’s clearly not the case and saves the day. Nami who may punch him and get it over with in the series, is so upset by this she calls him a back stabber. Then Usopp calls back to Arlong arc with a really deep blow and something genuinely hurtful that he would never say, and he calls her the back stabber. Where does this get us? To a scene where he follows her around the cooking pit to try and get her attention, and the normally confrontational Nami runs away from him without saying a word like.. you guessed it, a kindergarten student. The central conflict of this movie essentially rendered our amazing cast to the level of mindless emotional children. That’s not okay. At the end of the movie they are no longer overtly avoiding each other and they walk towards Luffy together, forgetting about the plot point that was one of making them the most unlikable it possibly could.

For a plot criticism, the lily carnation and the Baron were some really shallow ideas. For an hour and thirty minute movie we could have delved far deeper into both concepts. We didn’t though. All we know about Baron was he lost his crew, a crew strong enough to contest with Gol D. Rodger himself, on a stormy night. He had to endure the loneliness of losing his friends. He managed to find the lily carnation, a magical flower of death and rebirth, and used it to create the illusion of his old crew, one that somehow pertained the memories up until their death. What was this lily thing in the end? Who knows. What we do know is to keep the illusion alive he had to sacrifice pirates to it and this involved him luring other pirate crews with the lie of of resort to make them suffer through the pain he went through and in turn symbolically allow him to lessen his pain by living in an illusion. Sure this sounds cool, but that’s all we know about it. The Baron himself was a shallow shell of a man who represented spite and refusal to accept tragedy and he was crazy. That was it. If this was one of the first 50 minute films that would be fine. The fact that when I played the movie at 2x the subs were readable and it went so slow I had to confirm that I had it on 2x speed makes me think they hardly did anything with this. His crew themselves were entirely forgettable and didn’t have more than one recognizable trait other than Muchi who was my favorite new character in the film after moustache man. This, to me, says that this entire film was built on shallow ideas and to implement them they wrote the cast as unlikable brats and that’s what the film is, all with a nice visual flair. I liked the last movie better than this, and if you saw my thoughts on it I hated the last movie in comparison to the rest of the films.

It did have some stand out moments and to say it didn’t would be unfair. I loved the goldfish catching scene. Usopp calling himself the goldfish catching master, and seeing their teamwork as the got it in their bucket was hilarious, lively and memorable. I thought Daisy grabbing Choppers hand was absolutely adorable! And finally, I loved how Luffy punched out the Baron and saved moustache pirate before everyone gave the moustache pirate signal!

Unfortunately, apart from the stand out scenes and the new artistic take on One Piece, the rest of the movie was slow, boring, and at best mediocre, while often actually vaguely offensive to One Piece fans. For that, I think this is far below par and a 3/10. Easily the worst One Piece Movie yet.
Mar 7, 2019 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
So, I first watched this movie over a decade ago (around 2006 or 07?) and didn't think much of it at first. I was in middle school back then and this movie just wasn't what I was looking for from One Piece, for reasons similar to what others here have already echoed. Nowhere to be found are the moments of sheer enthusiastic triumph, the epic bravado and optimism from the main series. There are barely any fights and the few that are present follow a very different, more subdued approach. No badass walks and rousing music that builds to a crescendo with a flashy finisher. No moments of glory for the strawhats to show off (besides, arguably, Sanji's amusing little cook-off). What you have left instead is a slightly more "grounded", somber take on the franchise. I didn't dislike it on my first watch, but I also didn't like it. It was just some weird OP movie I watched and eventually forgot about. For the longest time I dismissed it as just another mediocre Toei-original feature.

Fast forward over 10 years into the future, and as Hosoda catapulted into anime stardom I began hearing some praise within OP communities about this weird little movie he had directed long ago. The movie had always had a cult following, but as time went on I do feel like it started getting a bit more traction for various reasons, from its art style to its darker tone to it being directed by a now well-stablished name in the industry. After hearing praise from some youtubers I was curious enough to revisit it someday. As I made my way through my re-read of the One Piece manga I eventually rewatched Strong World, which got me in a good mood to try out another movie, so... I'd been meaning to reevaluate this one, so why not?

I just finished it earlier today and am still kinda processing what I just watched. This movie feels so different from the rest of the franchise in both tone and imagery but, unlike before, I don't say this as a knock against it. Rather, I feel like its uniqueness is precisely what sets Baron Omatsuri apart as perhaps the strongest feature film in the series. Strong World is your typical OP arc streamlined in a neat little 110 min. package, a (gorgeous) straightforward rendition of an "OP-lite" storyline, which certainly makes it fun but not particularly noteworthy outside its niche. Baron Omatsuri on the other hand feels very much like a good piece of film-making first and foremost, with any concerns over strictly adhering to formula and expectations as secondary priorities at best. That's not to say the movie tramples on its source material though: the strawhats still feel like believable versions of themselves, with some great chemistry and interactions early on and their character traits essentially intact; the resort island feels like an authentic, if a little undeveloped OP setting, and the Davy Back-like premise is beffiting of a classic OP romp. The little moments of jarring OOCness could be reasonably attributed to the Lovecraftian-esque Lily Carnation indirectly influencing the strawhat's behavior/mood by reenforcing their negative traits, flaws and insecurities, and the trials served as catalysts for the conflicts to foster. The narrative leaves it vague enough, but I think the crew being perfectly fine by the end of the movie strengthens the idea that what happened between them shouldn't be taken at face value. With the Lily Carnation gone, they just went back to normal. You could argue the internal conflict itself was sort of unnecessary and could've been ditched entirely without altering the movie's themes significantly, but for the sake of creating uneasiness it was a fine plot device that didn't overstay its welcome imo.

And that feeling of growing uneasiness is essential to set up the third act. It's a gradual build-up to one of the most haunting climaxes in the series. The use of silence throughout the second half of the movie, the gorgeously dark visuals, the voice acting, it all adds up to deliver some absolutely striking sequences that I won't soon forget. It also explores some story beats we wouldn't see until much later in the series and does so incredibly well, which makes me wonder if perhaps Moria's background and the Strawhat's defeat at Sabaody weren't at least partially inspired by this. At the very least some of the anime staff seems to have been inspired by it if the tenryuubito punch, which closely mirrors Luffy's final blow here, is any indication. And who can blame them, that punch is amazing and leads to a genuinely heartbreaking and poignant final scene with the Baron and his deceased crew that caps off the movie's main theme of loss in a satisfying way. Major props to Akio Ohtsuka for a stellar performance.

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is one of the more understated (and perhaps underrated) pieces of OP media out there. It forsakes in-your-face exposition and isn't afraid to just tell a great story while trusting the viewers to pick up the details and form their own interpretations. It's remarkably well directed and unlike any other shonen film I can think of. It's a different interpretation of One Piece, one as seen through the lenses of Mamoru Hosoda, but it keeps the essential elements of its heart intact and is all the better for it. These movies don't usually have much room to be more than adequate entertainment, so by differentiating itself through its visuals, storytelling and tone you can at least create an interesting "what if?" scenario within the OP universe. It's an approach I find a lot more interesting than simply trying to ape the more superficial elements of the main series within a limited time-frame, and makes me wish other movies had that same bold ambition to do something genuinely different with the infinite possibilities the setting and characters offer. Allow talented directors their own vision. Any notions that it's somehow disrespectful or offensive to its source material are frankly absurd to me. It's not part of the official canon anyway and therefore has no real obligation to strictly adhere to what is expected from Oda, so it should be allowed to flourish as its own thing.
YunoleffMar 8, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 19, 2019 10:51 AM

Jun 2017
Yo dudes man,this movie was good,really good. Shall I be honest fam?

first 14 minutes in my head I was thinking what did you guys recommend me,because it felt like there were going to be no story,but then you could tell bit by bit that there is a story to be told that this man wanted people to feel his pain fam you know what I mean.

You know what was beautiful fam he's a villain but in a way you can see where he's coming from,this man was alone ever since all his friends died on a stormy night so he believed that everyone else needs to feel his pain which obviously isn't right but look at how beautiful that was,he brought all his friends back even though they are not there but he brought them back so that he could get that satisfaction of having them around.

If I was rewatch this movie right now my mindset would be different more like a haunted theme,all those people they were dead yo! you know what I mean they were goners but he just like to have them around fam.

And he wanted Luffy/Pirates to feel the same pain he felt,thats why he wanted Luffy to experience that sh*t. "What about your NAKAMA? don't you feel the pain that I'm going too"?

And the father had the best scene in the story with the arrow,and he did it for his daughter who gave him the boost.

Then Luffy my man hit him and it sent him back in the manga like he did with the Celestial Dragon in the anime fam.

I will never forget the Toothbrush Moustache Pirates LOL.

it's like in the last half of the movie it didn't feel like a OP movie at all,it felt too dark but I guess that was good about it fam you know what I mean,it's not like your avarage One Piece where you go to an Island and defeat Navy and that.

In this movie it showed what lonely can do fam.
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Aug 8, 2019 1:17 PM
Nov 2009
Watching One Piece related movies or episodes usually give a smile of my face. This movie though, I never laughed or smiled a single time. From beginning to end the atmosphere felt eerie and the tension between the strawhats were awkward to say the least. This is something I've always wondered about the show, what if the storytelling got darker? There's a mention of Gold Roger implying that he slaughtered Omatsuri's crew leaving him all alone by himself on the island. That being said, I never realized I would enjoy a darker interpretation of One Piece. I know Oda wouldn't turn his story into a horror/thriller but one could only dream of a seinen version of his story.
Aug 19, 2019 2:38 AM

Nov 2013
Great movie, never have I seen Luffy’s bond with the crew tested so extensively, even compared to Sabaody. Animation was some of the most expressive too with some seriously unsettling shots like when Luffy stretched his neck out as a last stand effort to try to save Zoro and failing miserably or when he was left standing seemingly lifeless after getting shot by all those arrows. Can agree with other users though that the art was too lacking in detail in some moments and I also didn’t like how some of the character behaviors weren’t exactly accurate. Really liked the darker atmosphere towards the end which was quite surprising. I don’t know why it took me so long to watch this, easily my favorite One Piece movie now followed by Strong World. 9/10
Oct 22, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2013
Damn it feels good seeing a one piece movie by the one and only Mamoru Hosoda, would say it's defenitely my favorite One Piece movie too (on the first 6), it's a lot different compared to the others one and that's for the best considering how the movies were getting kinda dull

It's a movie from 2005, the animation is godlike, they're a lot of interesting animations with luffy and everyone powers that are very pleasant to watch
Very funny movie (for first part at least) it made me laught a lot and last part is why a lot of peoples don't like this movie I guess, because they don't win everytime, but personnaly I liked it, it's a change of pace and show something with goods morals in the end.

Overall I think Mamoru Hosoda did a great job with that One Piece movie, the story around is well constructed (even though there is some incoherence there and there) and the news characters are very likeable, and Hosoda resonated very well the importance of every nakamas out there in the end.

For me it will be a 9/10 since I love a lot Mamoru Hosoda movies and his ideas that he put in those movies. I can understand the low rating of others people considering this as "bad' because this is not what they are accustomed of when they watch One Piece, but still I don't think it deserves that bad a note.

Cheers !

Jan 20, 2020 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
Agreed with TripleSRank/gfsdfgsdgsdfgs, this movie is shit.
Apr 21, 2020 10:56 PM
Jan 2008
I’m watching all of the old One Piece movies - most of which are forgettable with paper tiger villains.

This movie, however, is the best of the early lot. The animation is fresh, the tone darker, and the storyline emotional. I understand why some don’t like the way the characters change in the story - some of it feels forced. Attempts to justify the change ring hollow to me. The tension between Zoro and Sanji is easily believable, but the tension between Usopp and Nami is forced. This part did bother me.

Luffy’s response to his friend’s deaths didn’t bother me, but it might have if I had viewed this without the benefit of Sabaody.

I understand the dislike, but I don’t share it. I really enjoyed this fresh take on the Straw Hats.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» One Piece Movie 6 looks like it was done by SHAFT

_jum3sixt_ - Feb 22, 2017

5 by Cubefield »»
Aug 23, 2021 8:09 AM

» Mamoru Hosoda

EvenJellyOn - Jul 2, 2014

2 by EvenJellyOn »»
Jan 29, 2015 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.