Forum Settings
Forums

Director Hosoda Mamoru Criticizes the Recent Trend of TV Series-Derived Anime Movies

New
Jul 16, 2009 9:56 PM

Feb 2008
Web magazine Cyzo interviewed anime director Hosoda Mamoru. At the end of the interview, Hosoda expressed his objection to the recent trend of releasing anime movies derived from TV series.

Hosoda said:

I think producing a movie by means of animation has a broad potential. However, Studio Ghibli, or rather, Miyazaki Hayao has been the only successful anime movie producer who exerts himself (for creating the original works). It's sad to see the rest of the producers missing the chance to create a wide variety of anime movies. ...

Recently some robot anime movies are produced based on TV series. But they are merely running character business through the movie media. I don't criticize robot anime itself, but at least they should have produced original movies. TV-derived anime movies don't expand the creativity of the industry nor fulfill the social task of animation movies.

Source: Cyzo
myanimelistllcSep 22, 2016 11:05 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 16, 2009 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
I wouldn't say Miyazaki is the only successful one; Ghibli is certainly the most successful movie studio, but there have been other successful titles without being attached to an existing franchise.

I do agree that it sucks that a lot of movies are just recaps of a series (Shana, Nanoha, Macross F etc). I'd like to see more original content, not recycling of existing stuff.
Jul 16, 2009 10:07 PM

Apr 2008
I see his point, but at from a profit point of view, movies from successful TV series will probably do better from originals... unless your name is of course, Hayao Miyazaki.
Jul 16, 2009 10:07 PM

Oct 2008
Asako said:
I wouldn't say Miyazaki is the only successful one; Ghibli is certainly the most successful movie studio, but there have been other successful titles without being attached to an existing franchise.

I do agree that it sucks that a lot of movies are just recaps of a series (Shana, Nanoha, Macross F etc). I'd like to see more original content, not recycling of existing stuff.

I agree. Plus hasn't Kon Satoshi been successful at all? You'd hope so.
Jul 16, 2009 10:08 PM

Apr 2007
Kara no Kyoukai
Jul 16, 2009 10:19 PM

Oct 2007
They should make a Boku no Pico movie.
Jul 16, 2009 10:20 PM

Feb 2008
Asako said:

"Successful producer" was not an accurate translation. He said

宮崎駿さんたちしか頑張っていらっしゃらない状況がずっと続いている

I take "頑張っている" here as "Only Miyazaki has been working energetically on original creations".
Jul 16, 2009 10:24 PM

Oct 2008
dtshyk said:
Asako said:

"Successful producer" was not an accurate translation. He said

宮崎駿さんたちしか頑張っていらっしゃらない状況がずっと続いている

I take "頑張っている" here as "Only Miyazaki has been working energetically on original creations".
Still, Kon Satoshi fits into that category as well.
Jul 16, 2009 10:52 PM

Oct 2008
It just happens that the Gundam series is a lot more popular than their successful original works of animation..

Thus, their criticism of the anime movies should be treated as music to one's ears, generally... I am going to ignore it.
Jul 16, 2009 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:

QFT
Jul 16, 2009 10:58 PM

Jan 2008
Asako said:
Yes this, recap movies are almost always disappointing.
Jul 16, 2009 11:21 PM

May 2007
And there is also Makoto Shinkai!
Jul 17, 2009 1:05 AM
Apr 2009
Could he be talking about TTGL Gurren-Hen?
Jul 17, 2009 1:08 AM

Sep 2008
BigSimo said:
hasn't Kon Satoshi been successful at all? You'd hope so.

Shaoran said:

The problem is that these two are working at their own pace...and Ghibli is working on a steady pace with at least one movie coming out every two years or so (not all of them are directed by Miyazaki himself though).
And, success-wise, both Satoshi Kon and Makoto Shinkai are ten times less successful than Miyazaki (even if both are actually much better directors imo).
Jul 17, 2009 3:59 AM

Sep 2008
LOL
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 17, 2009 4:41 AM

Oct 2007
LOL! Is this some kind of secret code to bash NGE? I'm sensing Mamoru is targeting NGE w/ those words. Making both Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo + Summer Wars, I hope you're not looking for a fight =3

Jul 17, 2009 4:42 AM

Jan 2008
He's right. Movie is a completely different medium. You just can't make a recap and compress it into 150 minutes (Gurren Lagann) or just make the end of a series into a movie (Eden of the East). They need much more originality (ToKiKake, Summer Wars).
Jul 17, 2009 6:55 AM

Feb 2008
Rweck said:
LOL! Is this some kind of secret code to bash NGE? I'm sensing Mamoru is targeting NGE w/ those words. Making both Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo + Summer Wars, I hope you're not looking for a fight =3

He provoked a fight with:
Evangelion
Gurren Lagan
Gundam 00
Eureka Seven
Macross Frontier
Jul 17, 2009 6:58 AM

Jul 2008
Says the guy who made Digimon movies.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Jul 17, 2009 6:58 AM

Sep 2008
He could have meant TTGL, NGE, or even Eureka Seven :/

Edit: Grr see what happens when i leave the page open for a few minutes before posting. I get a post 2 posts above that brings up more suggestions :P
Jul 17, 2009 7:04 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Aeiou said:

ROTFL

Yeah, it's about time more original anime movies are produced,
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 17, 2009 7:45 AM

Sep 2008
ntHai said:
He's right. Movie is a completely different medium. You just can't make a recap and compress it into 150 minutes (Gurren Lagann) or just make the end of a series into a movie (Eden of the East).

No one actually said that the movies of Eden of the East would be the "end of a series". Most likely, they would be recaps as well. And the first trailer more or less proves that.
Jul 17, 2009 8:07 AM

May 2009
Complaining about the lack of creativity in the industry, I guess. Laziness, too because you don't need to use your noggers much if the material is there with the added bonus of ready audience.

But he's the guy who made how many Digimons?

Kudos though to Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Jul 17, 2009 8:08 AM

Jan 2008
seishi-sama said:
ntHai said:
He's right. Movie is a completely different medium. You just can't make a recap and compress it into 150 minutes (Gurren Lagann) or just make the end of a series into a movie (Eden of the East).

No one actually said that the movies of Eden of the East would be the "end of a series". Most likely, they would be recaps as well. And the first trailer more or less proves that.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a sequel. It was announced somewhere. I can't find the topic, but it's here, somewhere in the News forum board.
Jul 17, 2009 8:29 AM

Feb 2008
@ntHai
The trailer says the first movie takes place half a year after Takizawa disappeared.
http://www.juiz.jp/special/#/trailer/
Jul 17, 2009 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
He forgot also about Shinkai, frankly I find him more successful than Miyazaki. Other than I agree, movies as just another franchise sucks big time.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 17, 2009 12:51 PM

Jun 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:

haaaa XD

Jul 18, 2009 4:38 AM

Aug 2007
wakka9ca said:
Aeiou said:

ROTFL

Yeah, it's about time more original anime movies are produced,

The digimon movies were original content though xD
Errrr... at least the 2000 one was o.o
(Being the only one I ever saw back when I was a kid lol)
Jul 18, 2009 1:20 PM

Apr 2008
At least he made the GOOD digimon stuff.
Jul 18, 2009 2:08 PM

Jul 2008
dtshyk said:
However, Studio Ghibli, or rather, Miyazaki Hayao has been the only successful anime movie producer who exerts himself (for creating the original works).

Satoshi Kon???????????????????????

Rweck said:

I'd say he's directing it more to movies like Gurren-hen. The recent Rebuild of Evangelion movie has created a huge gap between itself and the original series. It is pretty much an original movie, or at least half way there.
ToukaJul 18, 2009 2:17 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 18, 2009 10:58 PM

Jul 2007
Aeiou said:

Yeah, but he didn't make recaps :P

Also, Eureka Seven can't be called a recap movie. That was 100% its own thing.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 19, 2009 6:27 AM

May 2008
dtshyk said:

Evangelion
Gurren Lagan
Gundam 00
Eureka Seven
Macross Frontier

I got the idea that he was complaining about movies the remake movies who lack originality, so movies like Gundam 00 and Eureka 7 are probably ok because they have a brand new plot
Aug 15, 2009 3:56 AM

Jul 2008
He's so damn right.

He forgot Shinkai btw
Nov 27, 2009 11:27 PM

Jul 2008
Well known does not translate into good. I never understood the hype about Miyazaki. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I find all of his symbolism and such to be another "GRRR, I HATE PEOPLE!" sort of thing.
Dec 20, 2009 8:59 AM
Dec 2007
dtshyk said:
Rweck said:

He provoked a fight with:
Evangelion
Gurren Lagan
Gundam 00
Eureka Seven
Macross Frontier

As much as I understand his point for Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven and Macross Frontier (and most probably Gundam 00 even if the movie has not been released yet), which were bad recap movies or even worse than that for E7 (a new story on mostly used images and scenes...), I totally disagree with him on Eva 2.0, which is probably the only animated movie coming out this year that offers a serious competition to Summer Days and maybe beat it technically and artistically, so I don't feel he's right to generalize his comment to the masterpiece of Anno. It clearly doesn't deserve it.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 15, 2010 6:03 PM
Apr 2008
He may also be referring to the numerous spin offs of main stream shonen series. If you look at the Anime movies produced every year 3/4 of them have Bleach/Naruto/Pokemon/Detective Conan in their name.

As for Makoto Shinkai, Satoshi Kon and Kara no Kyoukai, these would all be considered quite niche in Japan. I doubt they'll ever break box office records, in the way Ghibli does regularly, and Hosoda Mamoru is getting close to doing.
Feb 28, 2010 2:56 PM

Jun 2009
i wouldn't agree with him, the point is that how good the storyline adaption is and the quality of the animation itself. It doesn't matter if it's an original work or an adaption from a TV series or a movie.

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Apr 19, 2010 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
Yeah, I would love to see more anime movies really push the envelope. Summer Wars and Sword of the Stranger are a start, but we need more. I think though, that in addition to those, we need more creativity in the licensed stuff so that it can be as good as an original production. His One Piece movie(and from what I hear, his work on Digimon) really stands out and uses the property for something more than just a 45 minute fight scene or a recap.
Apr 19, 2010 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
I don't think Shinkai has been cited because its still fairly early in his career where Miyazaki is a seasoned veteran with several under his belt. Shinkai has maybe three feature films (including the one in the making) and I don't know how successful his films have been. Depending on if Hosoda is talking Box Office Gross or Critical Acclaim
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
May 9, 2010 7:47 AM

Sep 2009
But i think sometimes recap movies are good i mean when they make lots of money on them then there is chance for another seasson.
At least thats what i think.
UrbanScytheMay 9, 2010 7:51 AM
May 11, 2010 1:01 PM

May 2010
UrbanScythe said:
But i think sometimes recap movies are good i mean when they make lots of money on them then there is chance for another seasson.
At least thats what i think.
You make another season if, y'know, the actual series makes money. I'm not aware of a second season of anime being produced after the prior season slumped but the recap movie succeeded (has there ever been a property that's even produced a recap after a failed season, anyway?).

Hosoda seems neglectful of Kon -- and by extension, both he and Kon have become associated with Madhouse -- but his points are valid. Anime movies are largely extensions of property... and in a similar way, so are many anime adaptions, where you already have an established base (like, say, with light novels or visual novels).
Jul 11, 2010 3:36 AM

Apr 2009
seishi-sama said:
BigSimo said:
hasn't Kon Satoshi been successful at all? You'd hope so.

Shaoran said:

The problem is that these two are working at their own pace...and Ghibli is working on a steady pace with at least one movie coming out every two years or so (not all of them are directed by Miyazaki himself though).
And, success-wise, both Satoshi Kon and Makoto Shinkai are ten times less successful than Miyazaki (even if both are actually much better directors imo).

I agree with that. MAkoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon deserve ten thousand times more appreciation than they actually.

I think they're all on par with Miyazaki though.

The reason why people make lots of stupid TV-series based anime movies is because TV series are already super popular which promises a huge profit form the movie.

I have yet to see a GOOD movie based on the TV series. Naruto, Bleach, and other series-beased movies are TOTAL crap with an extremely weak plot, ridiculous lines and a more ridiculous way of presenting the whole thing. They totally forget that the movie has to convey an idea, has to excel in quality and leave a good trace in the people's memories.

Those who watch stuff like TV-derived anime movies have a poor taste, IMO. Though it's not "IMO", it's obvious...
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Aug 7, 2010 10:44 PM

May 2010
To all the people who say Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon are on par with or even better than miyazaki, I say bah! I like both of them, especially Satoshi, but Miyazaki is really head and shoulders above them. Remember, Miyazaki created most of his movies without the help of a single computer. There's a reason he's known as god of animation!
“Money can't buy dere”
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
13 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
45 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.