Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2009 12:15 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Perfect animation is PERFECT.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 14, 2009 1:29 AM

Apr 2008
I am left speechless. All I can think to say is that this episode was absolutely drop-dead gorgeous.

I have a feeling this is going to be my favorite show of the season.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 14, 2009 5:50 AM

Mar 2009
Yes the animation is awesome but the directing is a combination (poor copying) of Shinkai + some avant-garde stuff.

However, it looks pretty cool.
TokyoNeonLightJul 14, 2009 12:50 PM
Jul 14, 2009 7:02 AM

May 2008
that girl is annoying, i'd staple her mouth back if i was him

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 14, 2009 1:56 PM

Sep 2008
Plot + Storyline is okay.

Everything else is terrible, no wonder i didnt like SZS either.

A single picture for an ED? decent song wasted.

TokyoNeonLight said:
Yes the animation is awesome but the directing is a combination (poor copying) of Shinkai + some avant-garde stuff.

It's no where near shinkai quality, this series is lazy animation.
Jul 14, 2009 2:07 PM

Jul 2008
I haven't been so eager for an anime to begin airing in the longest time so I'm very glad this episode managed to live up to my over high expectations (the fact that SHAFT was producing it didn't help any). The art work is superb, just like ef, the storyline is original and strange enough to be amusing, and the characters have certainly heightened my interests.
Jul 14, 2009 10:31 PM

Mar 2009
mel said:

TokyoNeonLight said:

It's no where near shinkai quality, this series is lazy animation.

But you can feel it how they are struggling to recreate it. And all those close-ups.
Jul 15, 2009 3:56 AM

Sep 2008
I rewatched this with better subs, i thought it was great the first time but with far more accurate subbing and with all the text being subbed it was even better. Will wait for accurate subs on 2nd episode though.
Jul 15, 2009 9:25 AM

Jan 2009
velcom said:
I rewatched this with better subs, i thought it was great the first time but with far more accurate subbing and with all the text being subbed it was even better. Will wait for accurate subs on 2nd episode though.
gg fansubs for president : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 15, 2009 10:43 AM

Jun 2009
when she took out all the stuff she had tape lol what is she going to do with tape lol
"ThErE ArE TwO SOrTs Of PeOpLe
ThOsE wHo DiE, aNd ThOsE wHo SuRvIvE" Ikaku Madarame
Jul 15, 2009 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
well its not the kind of anime i watch (neither the one i was expecting)
and the graphics are not the kind the im used to
ha not to say about the characters (that girl realy talks a lot)
but i think i liked it ^_^''
even if i didnt understand what happened >.>
oh! and i didnt think she would actualy pierce him O.O

Jul 15, 2009 2:25 PM

Jan 2009
tsubasa-lover said:
oh! and i didnt think she would actualy pierce him O.O
that gotta have been the best part : D serves him right and makes her cool : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 15, 2009 2:52 PM

Jul 2009
why what did he do? poor guy >.>
u know its realy aknowing that i cant see his whole face >x<

Jul 15, 2009 2:59 PM

Jan 2009
tsubasa-lover said:
hmm who knows, just felt like he needed it : D
Jul 15, 2009 6:30 PM

Sep 2008
Oosran said:
velcom said:

I didn't watch gg's lol
Jul 15, 2009 11:42 PM

Apr 2009
Chaos4000 said:
when she took out all the stuff she had tape lol what is she going to do with tape lol

No idea...but it's definitely something to think about -wink wink nudge nudge-
xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 16, 2009 10:15 AM

Jan 2009
velcom said:
Oosran said:
velcom said:

I didn't watch gg's lol

oh well that doesn't really matter now does it?: p just stating my opinion : p they're a bunch of funny guys imo : p
Jul 16, 2009 10:58 AM

Sep 2008
the abstract art is epic! XD

thx 2 Rinjii 4 d sigy^^
Jul 16, 2009 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
tsubasa-lover said:
u know its realy aknowing that i cant see his whole face >x<

Ah, I forgot about that til now. I kept wondering when they'd show his face. Weird.

Jul 17, 2009 4:04 AM

Oct 2008
That was amazing. Incredible direction.
Jul 17, 2009 7:36 AM

Nov 2008
Good episode, somewhat violent but I liked the atmosphere. I'm not fond of CGI but for some strange reasons I really liked the animation especially the colors for the decoration.
For the moment I really like it, hope the rest of the series will be as good as this first episode.
I'm looking forward the next episode.
Jul 18, 2009 12:38 PM
Mar 2008
From the opening alone I sploodge. Happy that there are two Shaft productions this season =)
Jul 19, 2009 8:59 PM
Jul 2009
Really cool! I'll put this review into categories, because, you know... I feel like it. :P

Animation: 9.5/10
Extremely good. Sometimes they go a little crazy with the camera angles, or exaggerate some things unnecessarily, like how they keep zooming in on the eyes for no discernible purpose. Also, sometimes they noticeably reuse frames, and character's faces seem a little frozen when they're talking in a close-up and only their mouth moves. However, the animation is just so high quality that the virtues far outweigh the problems. Heh. Outweigh. 'Cause, you know, weight... yyyyeah.

Characters: 9/10
Araragi is cool. He starts out seeming like the "ordinary high school student who encounters some girl with strange powers and his life is changed forever" sort of deal, but then it turns out to be a reversal when HE actually seems to know more than she does, even if she starts out acting like she's in control. :P In terms of appearance, good design. The black suit reminds me of Lelouch from Code Geass, in retrospect, but simpler and darker. Given all the shadows in these backgrounds, he often seems very inconspicuous, which is interesting. I can't remember the color of his eyes, or what his face looks like exactly, without going back and looking. Also, now that I think about it, the black and red color scheme on his uniform is a tiny hint to the whole vampire thing. Cool.

Speaking of Hitagi (everyone calls her by her last name, Setsuwhatsit, but I can only really remember her first name), she's pretty awesome too. Good design. I like the uniform, because I am honestly getting sick of the sailor look, and the pink and indigo (looks like an indigo to me, but it might be navy blue) is a good color scheme, colors that are kind of close on the spectrum (this pink seems more like a shade of violet than light red) but still stand out against each other, one being very bright while the other is darker. Her hair is neat, the way the hair on the side of her face almost curves under her eyes and ends flat instead of with a spike, almost seeming like it was recently cut, and then the back of her hair is just all these wild tentacles behind her back. It looks cool, very complex. She has a neat personality, too. Her expression and voice seem to stay pretty level, to me, but I get the impression that she's very touchy and pretty paranoid, probably due at least in part to her strange change.

Oshino is a pretty cool guy. Looks CRAZY, and kind of like a bum, definitely laid back, but he has all this spiritual knowledge. In terms of personality, he's pretty easygoing, and he just laughs at Hitagi's tough talk, so you can tell he's been around the block and sure as hell isn't going to listen to some girl's demands unless he FEELS like it.

Obviously don't know much about Shinobu, but she's cute, and her concept is interesting. I wonder if there really is "nothing to her".

The girl with the glasses is pretty normal, but I like the way they portray her as kind of acting like an actual high schooler with multiple facets to her: she's got the whole nerdy chairman thing, and she cares about school and grades, but she doesn't seem TOTALLY obsessed with school, and she takes an interest in people around her, plus she doesn't seem terribly antisocial, just a little bit. Also, she might be a lesbian, but I might be reading too much into it. She doesn't seem like she's going to do anything, but she was in the opening scene (which was WEIRD. Opening with a panty shot? One that goes on for that long? Seems weird and pointless... can Araragi see in slow motion, is that what they were trying to show, or was it really just showing off their animation skills with added fanservice?), she might do more stuff later.

Writing: 10/10
So far, very excellent. I love the way Hitagi and Araragi talk about whether she's a tsundere character and all that. It almost breaks the fourth wall, but it's displayed in a way that you could imagine really people talking like that. Also, I love the nonchalance with which all the strange stuff is revealed, like how Araragi just mentions offhand (offscreen, even!) that he used to be a vampire. Both the casual, pointless conversation and the exposition-laden monologues all seem natural in this show, which is something that's not common. The story, and how it draws on sort of a mix of religion and magic, is very interesting, and I can't wait to see where it goes and what happens along the way.

Music: 9/10
Sometimes noticeable, sometimes it fades into the background, but never grating at all. The opening montage's music is especially good. The music always seems to fit the scene very well, too.

I'll be watching this anime, no doubt!
Jul 20, 2009 12:53 PM

Aug 2008
the flamboyant guerrilla floppy OMGzoom animation style interfered too much...

Couldn't really follow a solid plot because it was too busy being "creative" with its animation style. We saw more of the main characters eye zoomed x1000 than we did the character himself..

the character development was less of a mess...a lil promising

Kinda cool i guess...but i am going to have trouble getting into it.
Jul 20, 2009 10:34 PM

Dec 2008
pretty interesting plot they've built up.
It'd be pretty neat to be that light. dunno why she would want to get her weight back, or get saved to put it in her own words.
Jul 21, 2009 7:15 AM

May 2008
Just when I thought there wasn't a single decent show this summer, suddenly EFFORT SHINBO to the rescue! While I'm not terribly pleased that Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a formulaic bore as a result, I do like the freshness this is delivering. Certainly some of the directing this episode needed to be toned down as it felt more like someone screwing with Windows Movie Maker effects than being decently experimental, but outside of that I don't have much to complain about. An active, playful Shinbo is a great deal more fun to watch than a lazy, bored Shinbo after all.
Jul 26, 2009 5:27 PM

May 2008
Well, I certainly agree with the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei comparison.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 26, 2009 6:38 PM

Aug 2008
Itachi-san said:
what a shit *yawn*

instant drop!!!

/Anger

Jul 31, 2009 8:53 PM

Jan 2008
Dang... getting stapled inside the mouth. >_> Nice way to start the series.
Aug 1, 2009 8:51 AM

Jun 2008
It was awesome. It seems like it's going to be a mix of the "ef series" with action elements to it. Can't wait to see where this series will take us!
Aug 4, 2009 3:34 AM

Aug 2009
Interesting episode, I guess... Although it made me really confused. :S
Aug 7, 2009 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
that.... was.....

sublime.

:o
Aug 17, 2009 11:27 PM

Jan 2009
Ouchie....getting stapled in the mouth. >.<
Aug 18, 2009 3:52 PM
Feb 2009
Yes, this anime was very different. But also interesting.
I don't think I've ever watched an anime about a giant crab/god/thingy.
Aug 24, 2009 12:03 AM
Sep 2008
After watching it, i am just confused but in a good way.
Aug 24, 2009 5:32 AM

Feb 2007
Really loved the visuals. It's been a while since I've watched Shinbo's work (it's been a while since I've decided to watch an anime, actually), and while it is a tad over-the-top, I've already gotten used to the fact that it's how he does things. The "OP" animation was brilliant, and the chemistry between the characters was interesting. The only thing I'm worried about is that apparently the quality of the show decreases after the 2nd episode, according to a couple of friends. I hope the rest of the anime can be as good as this first episode.
Aug 27, 2009 10:49 AM

Aug 2007
Interesting... but wow, what annoying main characters. I hope they get better or something.
Aug 27, 2009 11:10 AM

Oct 2007
Anybody know what the song is in the beginning?
It's not the OP, I know that, but I really like it... I can't seem to find it anywhere tho. :/
Sep 1, 2009 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
Well, that was pretty interesting. Confusing though. And I don't really understand why being weightless/getting her weight back is such a big deal, personally. Maybe it's just me I guess but...meh.
I hear from a lot of people who caught up with it that it's really awesome, so I'm still really curious~ + that beginning really caught me. So much blood :D
Getting stapled in the mouth sounds REALLY painful. Owww.
I wonder if any of the characters are going to be likable later on. They didn't really get off to good start IMO :/ I shall see, I suppose.
Sep 5, 2009 2:04 AM

Sep 2008
Well this episode was pretty contentless. Not much happened at all. Very nice art and animation though no doubt.

Plot is unique. That's a good start.
5layerSep 5, 2009 2:09 AM
Sep 5, 2009 2:13 AM

Aug 2009
keep watching ^^
Sep 5, 2009 6:10 PM

Aug 2008
That girls is fierce. This anime looks really good. The graphics are amazing. I was so sure this wasn't going to be the anime for me, though, and I still think that a little bit but the part about him being once a vampire was interesting, as is the other male character and the little demon girl. I'll watch the next episode. I'll see if it's for me or not.

enkil said:
dunno why she would want to get her weight back, or get saved to put it in her own words.

I'm also wondering about that, but instantly when I realized she wanted it back, I was really grateful to hear a female want weight. lol.
Sep 18, 2009 4:16 AM

Sep 2008
blockhead said:
What a fucking turd this is. Convoluted story for the sake of being convoluted, and lacking any sort of imagination. That senjouwhatever hoe has an annoyingly exaggerated personality. All the characters are banal and manufactured. That stupid conversation with the class rep at the beginning exemplifies the reason slice of life shows are generally the worst shit ever, i.e. because they're about the trite lives of boring people. It's even more uninteresting than 'paris hiltons bff' or whatever(which is the same concept), and even though there was only a bit of that in the show it's probably a bad sign in general when the writers have such low standards to have anything like that in their show even for 5 minutes. It's a corporate show that pushes the limits even further for shittiness in the mainstream (well, compared to the first season of Code Geass at least), and of course, as usual, everyone eats it up. I've been peeping /a/ lately and those stupid niggers are always boosting on it. I will never trust anon again. :humph:
You sir, are awesome.
Sep 26, 2009 8:35 PM

Apr 2009
The episode was pretty much OK.

At first, I didn't like Hitagi when she was acting like a bish, but now I don't really hate her anymore. Shinobu <3 What a cute name. and lol @ the moe and tsundere thing xD

"Free Falcon Punch for Everybody!"|Nani?|MCC Badge|
Sep 28, 2009 11:57 AM

Feb 2008
interesting opening,

i only want to note that most of us get interested because of the similiar style with szs.
Sep 28, 2009 11:59 AM

Jan 2009
theanimeis said:
i only want to note that most of us get interested because of the similiar style with szs.

I'll just mention that at least I'm one that haven't watched szs : 3 And I think this anime is awesome, yeah I'm dead serious
Sep 28, 2009 12:06 PM

Dec 2007
Oosran said:
theanimeis said:

I'll just mention that at least I'm one that haven't watched szs : 3 And I think this anime is awesome, yeah I'm dead serious

So you REALLY should watch szs, if you think this is awesome.
Sep 28, 2009 12:07 PM

Jan 2009
tater_head said:
Oosran said:
theanimeis said:

So you REALLY should watch szs, if you think this is awesome.

Then I'll do that : o When I get more time, I'm having trouble catching up to everything that I'm currently watching >.>
Sep 28, 2009 9:28 PM

Jul 2008
szs ftw! xD

love the ed of bake <3
Sep 30, 2009 12:02 PM

Apr 2009
fuck yeah.
awesome.

btw the ending rulz
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.