Forum Settings
Forums

Episode 10 of Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Leaked Before the Official Airing

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Jun 2007
kuroshiroi said:
nobleman83 said:
On the leak, Shame on the hackers and Shame on FUNinmation.
Just so we're clear, nobody was hacking anything. Downloading the episodes from FUNimation's unsecure servers isn't illegal, it's only illegal to share the episodes after downloading them.

If its not meant to be release, it is taken illegally. I do not know the full story and how do you know that it was completely unsecured. I doubt FUNimation is that much of an idoit, but one never knows. I do not see anything that points to it was taken off of an unsecure server. Though I secede it might have happen that way since I dont want to look it up right now, and probably wont read anything on it if you send it.
Jun 4, 2009 3:17 PM
Jun 4, 2009 3:36 PM
Jul 2008
lolz, seems like a trendy fad nowadays
Jun 4, 2009 4:03 PM
Oct 2008
nobleman83 said:
kuroshiroi said:
nobleman83 said:
Just so we're clear, nobody was hacking anything. Downloading the episodes from FUNimation's unsecure servers isn't illegal, it's only illegal to share the episodes after downloading them.

If its not meant to be release, it is taken illegally. I do not know the full story and how do you know that it was completely unsecured. I doubt FUNimation is that much of an idoit, but one never knows. I do not see anything that points to it was taken off of an unsecure server. Though I secede it might have happen that way since I dont want to look it up right now, and probably wont read anything on it if you send it.

From my understanding it was on a unsecured server which could have easily been accessed by changing the number of the episode or something along those lines. I'm not sure exactly, since I haven't tried it myself but from what I know it was pretty simple and easy to get to. Those, however, where the circumstances for the One Piece leak.

I don't think it's been revealed whether or not the Phantom Requiem episode or the FMA episode where accessed the same way. Either way Funimation has a serious problem that they need to fix :/

I kind of agree with kuroshiroi though, I'm not sure if it's illegal to take it from an unsecured server but it is illegal to distribute it. We'll see though, I don't think anyone has been caught yet and even if they where I wonder how much Funimation can do especially if they live outside of the US.
Jun 4, 2009 4:49 PM

Mar 2008
If they live outside of the U.S. it would be out of any jurisdiction. I doubt any country would extradite for video piracy either.

illegal? no. no no no no. funimation stepped in halfway through and said if you live in america you cant see the show until we say you can and you cant watch the show in full HD resolution until we release the DVD's and charge you 55 dollars for 3 episodes because we're a bunch of greedy bastards. what funimation is doing should be illegal and all because the money talks, everyone else turns a blind eye. i dont really care how funimation gets screwed as long as they get whats coming to them, open your eyes people.

FUNimation doesn't have any other say as to where they go. It's the Japanese producers who sell of the license, so go bitch to them. Yeah of course they're not going to stream in Blu-Ray HD quality, they want you to BUY The product. If your to cheap to get a job and buy something than that's your problem. Or they could offer a paid subscription which kind of defeats the purpose of "try before you buy" and free simulcast.

And they hardly sell anything for $50 for one or two episodes. $25-26 at most for three to four and sometimes five episodes. Of course prices are high because it's expensive to produce anime on both sides of the ocean. It's a good thousand per episode in Japan. Besides the Japanese pay around the same as Americans and they get even fewer, not to mention a TV Tax for NHK.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jun 4, 2009 6:05 PM
Jun 2008
Who would want to see that anime earlier than the actual air date?
Jun 4, 2009 6:31 PM

Jun 2007
Capellabun said:
nobleman83 said:
kuroshiroi said:
nobleman83 said:

From my understanding it was on a unsecured server which could have easily been accessed by changing the number of the episode or something along those lines. I'm not sure exactly, since I haven't tried it myself but from what I know it was pretty simple and easy to get to. Those, however, where the circumstances for the One Piece leak.

I don't think it's been revealed whether or not the Phantom Requiem episode or the FMA episode where accessed the same way. Either way Funimation has a serious problem that they need to fix :/

I kind of agree with kuroshiroi though, I'm not sure if it's illegal to take it from an unsecured server but it is illegal to distribute it. We'll see though, I don't think anyone has been caught yet and even if they where I wonder how much Funimation can do especially if they live outside of the US.

If it is truly unsecured even I might have to agree with kuroshiroi, however, if there was any manipulation of the data to retrieve the file other then what is the intended purpose, it is a hack to some degree or at least I would think so. If I could just go to that page and there it is, well then FUNimation would be a bigger idiot then I would have expected.

Tehnominator, crazed fans would want to see that anime earlier then the release date, people that have no patations or think there is sometime special to seeing the show before the official release.
Jun 4, 2009 7:43 PM

Jul 2008
I saw the torrent yesterday... so I was waiting for something like this to pop-up.
I wonder what the future hold for Funi...

Static said:
Intarwebz 2 - Funi 0

You know it.
Jun 4, 2009 11:06 PM

Apr 2008
jerseyse410 said:
way to go guys! i hope this happens more and funimation can burn in the hole its digging for itself.

im sorry but did i hear of companies licensing midseason, releasing absolute shit quality videos and subs and then blaming fansubs because they do it 10x better? i think i did

screw all you guys who are all butthurt over "this is gonna ruin it for everyone" yeah right. go read up on video resolution and coding and go download an episode. tards.

YOU ARE DUMB .... *CAPTIOL LETTERS FOR TRUTH* *lower case letters for bad english*
Jun 5, 2009 1:32 AM

Jul 2007
Another one, its only afew days surely people could just wait >_<
Jun 5, 2009 3:11 AM

Feb 2008
nobleman83 said:
If it is truly unsecured even I might have to agree with kuroshiroi, however, if there was any manipulation of the data to retrieve the file other then what is the intended purpose, it is a hack to some degree or at least I would think so. If I could just go to that page and there it is, well then FUNimation would be a bigger idiot then I would have expected.
To download One Piece 403 and Phantom 10 all you had to do was use this standard URL
http://video.funimation.com/FLV/FUN_[ANIME_TITLE]_[EP#]_JPN_640X360.flv
and replace [ANIME_TITLE] with things like PHANTOM and the [EP#] with 10. They have since added random junk at the end of the filename and/or removed the episodes but the links weren't secured with anything else. They weren't region blocked, for instance, and not chmodded.
Basically, they uploaded episodes hours and even days before the actual airing and didn't secure them in any meaningful way.

tl;dr: Downloading from a predictable URL is not hacking.
Jun 5, 2009 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
lol impatient people :P
Jun 5, 2009 4:15 AM

Nov 2007
I heard that Phantom has been being leaked ever since Funi added it to their site. I think that was during episode 5 or 6.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 5, 2009 7:51 AM

Apr 2009
Illegal or not, its just too easy to access their videos, so I don't think there is any excuse for Funimation. The server where they store videos is totally not secure and I am pretty sure they have been aware of the issue for at least a few weeks now.
Jun 5, 2009 8:12 AM

May 2007
Well they seem to be updating it for what it is worth, you can't get on the video player right now, must likely(at least I hope so) adding security before Saturday so they can bring back One Piece(I hope Toei is forcing Funimation to add security at least)
My anime list
Jun 5, 2009 9:02 AM

Aug 2007
If Funi continues to screw up maybe they will lose the licenses no? *hints hints*
Jun 5, 2009 9:34 AM
Oct 2008
Static said:
If Funi continues to screw up maybe they will lose the licenses no? *hints hints*

Funimation hasn't lost any licenses, they still have the license to One Piece. They just aren't streaming it online.
Jun 5, 2009 1:26 PM
Feb 2009
I just love the smell of FAIL in the morning!

Also, apparently the One Piece video was stolen by a simple URL change to redirect the user to the new episode. Hardly a hacker's task at all...

Funi, lrn2business
Jun 5, 2009 5:10 PM
Oct 2008

Well at least they realize what they need to do to keep this from happening again. Even if it is somehow leaked again, at least it will be after it's aired in Japan.
Jun 5, 2009 8:11 PM

May 2007

Seems fair enough, they seemed to learn from their major mistakes(uploading the episodes days early), I will wait and see, Funimation is on the three strikes warning right now.
My anime list
Jun 6, 2009 4:31 AM

Nov 2007
Haha,

We know that many of you have questions about what specific technical changes will be taking place but following what we have experienced this week, we will be keeping that information confidential. I can tell you that we are enhancing our security and will be applying the newest technology to protect our files.

Yeah. chmod and/or simply not uploading the file (or at least moving it to the live dir) until you want it to go live is the newest technology.

I've used a backend dir I upload files to that are then moved to the live dir at midnight on my site for as long as it's existed in its current form. Was a base feature I deemed necessary. Nobody can see or access the backend dir so I can upload files weeks or months in advance and they're perfectly safe. Something that simple is all Funi needed to do.
Jun 7, 2009 1:23 AM

Jan 2008
They should use the same method as Viz. Giving files random names and using a PHP script that outputs an XML file with filename info only if the region and time is correct.

I use a Windows Apache server so no chmod and I have no idea how to use .htaccess so I XOR the files and get a script to deXOR it when conditions are met.

Also: New Security + Large Files + Streaming = Resource Drain
Jun 7, 2009 6:21 AM

Mar 2009
What i gathered is that their site was put together with gum and ducktape.
Good for them, that they are now fixing that.

Jun 11, 2009 11:11 AM

Jan 2009
It's been a week now yet every time I go to the Funimation site the message about the video portal being down for maintenance is still there.

Surely they must have fixed the problems by now?
Jun 13, 2009 5:57 PM

Mar 2008
ManInBlack said:
It's been a week now yet every time I go to the Funimation site the message about the video portal being down for maintenance is still there.

I imagine it will take a while to get a pretty good security system in place to prevent more leaks.
Jun 13, 2009 7:21 PM

Dec 2007
ShadowAlex said:
ManInBlack said:

I imagine it will take a while to get a pretty good security system in place to prevent more leaks.

Their video portal is back. =)
Jun 13, 2009 10:00 PM

Apr 2009
-Jenny said:
ShadowAlex said:
ManInBlack said:

It seems they fixed the security issues. I have a slow connection so I may be mistaken but I think the new video player doesn't cache the entire episode in the hard disk. I press pause and then press play after almost 15 minutes, it ends up buffering again in 5-10 seconds.
Jun 14, 2009 5:06 PM

Mar 2008
-Jenny said:
ShadowAlex said:
ManInBlack said:

Yay ^^ still haven't added episode 10 yet, hopefully they will soon
Aug 10, 2009 9:26 PM

Apr 2009
Static said:

Why would Anyone want that too happen?I want too have my anime on dvd.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
5 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
8 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
9 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.